• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

AAA-wise, This year has been Kinda dry, but it did have FF7 which is easily an all time great.
outside of the AAA games though it's been fantastic, Unicord Overlord is top tier.

The launch of the switch 2 next year will give it a decent chance of being a 10/10 year though.

FF7 rebirth ...can't figure out the acclaim ..it feels like a mess of a game to me. So many annoyances with the games design, forcing slow walking sections unnecessarily, pacing issues and boring side quests. Even cringier dialog than the first remake.

These games are so inferior to the originals from a story and dialog perspective it hurts.

Bojji

Love the look! Games like this rely super strongly on a great narrative. Is it too long?

UE5 games are looking super impressive this year.

I think it's under 5h for sure and length is good for this kind of game. Story is the main focus and gameplay serves that. GFX is great and art is amazing, high tech mixed with 1930.

Personally I loved it, but I usually like games like that (soma, amnesia, still wakes the deep etc.) more than reviewers...

Last edited:

Lethal01

FF7 rebirth ...can't figure out the acclaim ..it feels like a mess of a game to me. So many annoyances with the games design, forcing slow walking sections unnecessarily, pacing issues and boring side quests. Even cringier dialog than the first remake.

These games are so inferior to the originals from a story and dialog perspective it hurts.
The forced walking are the only place I can agree.

Outside of that, the whole thing is a big upgrade from the OG most importantly the battle system which is an industry best.

Last edited:
iVjve1723231703.png

cC0761723231786.png

YvkOS1723231828.png

Mickey Mouse castle?

I completed Nobody Wants to Die few days ago, loved it!

It's on UE5 and has great art, I'm not sure about Nanite but Lumen is present. Weakest point are SSR reflections (and typical lumen artifacts).

RfuJETe.jpeg
nCUnxa9.jpeg
ccOJkHL.jpeg
ugHsoBp.jpeg

I'm playing that at the minute and it does look good. I've been pretty impressed with Lumen in general from what I've played that uses it. Still Wakes the Deep is another that has good Lumen, creates some really atmospheric scenes when everything kicks off and you go back into the oil rig.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Love the look! Games like this rely super strongly on a great narrative. Is it too long?

UE5 games are looking super impressive this year.
Its a gorgeous looking game but man is it boring. I quit after the second investigation went on for nearly an hour. There is no other gameplay. no shooting, no combat. You just click on something that unlocks another thing to click on and that goes on for over an hour.

In between all that you get some very cool looking UE visuals with some excellent lighting, volumetric effects and asset quality, but i cant play another visual novel after hellblade 2. I just wish these games were fun to play.

n828Wa1.gif

JbkMwN9.gif

Last edited:
The forced walking are the only place I can agree.

Outside of that, the whole thing is a big upgrade from the OG most importantly the battle system which is an industry best.

The battle system is pretty cool ill give you that ...but i can never get to where i feel like im flowing with the combat

I havn't stuck to playing this for a given length of time so i always feel like im fumbling with the systems of combat ...

You dont think the dialog is cringe in these games? The characters talk like how my mom talks to her grandkids ..not kidding esp Aerith and all female npc's.

The story and dialog of the original was so much better ...as with almost all of Squaresoft rpg's ..i think its a comination of lack of voice acting + better writing but i get this feeling from all recent Square games its so stilted.

So combat flows well for you? I still struggle to use the right mechanics at the right time in boss fights. "Ads" in this game are too easy and battles over too quickly.

Oh and the lighting issue with the gamma shifting wildly drives me crazy ..cant believe they never fixed that! No motion blur either still which makes playing 30 fps extra uncomfortable ...i dont understand no fixes as Square is usually pretty good about adding stuff in updates ..not this game it never gets updated

Who would've thought that 2024 would be such a lame year for graphics ...so inficative of this bizarre generation though ...expectations get shattered for the worse ...im thinking Sony like with Spiderman 2 or LoU1 Remake like you'd think those two games natively built for PS5 would be THE most graphically amazing games ever ...at least Hellblade 2 DE-livered.

I still think PC players at least are going to be really happy in 2 weeks with Black Myth

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Its a gorgeous looking game but man is it boring. I quit after the second investigation went on for nearly an hour. There is no other gameplay. no shooting, no combat. You just click on something that unlocks another thing to click on and that goes on for over an hour.

In between all that you get some very cool looking UE visuals with some excellent lighting, volumetric effects and asset quality, but i cant play another visual novel after hellblade 2. I just wish these games were fun to play.

n828Wa1.gif

JbkMwN9.gif

I had a ton of fun with both this and Hellblade II. Not sure why we need to limit ourselves to only games that go bang bang.

Lethal01

The battle system is pretty cool ill give you that ...but i can never get to where i feel like im flowing with the combat

I havn't stuck to playing this for a given length of time so i always feel like im fumbling with the systems of combat ...

You dont think the dialog is cringe in these games? The characters talk like how my mom talks to her grandkids ..not kidding esp Aerith and all female npc's.

The story and dialog of the original was so much better ...as with almost all of Squaresoft rpg's ..i think its a comination of lack of voice acting + better writing but i get this feeling from all recent Square games its so stilted.

So combat flows well for you? I still struggle to use the right mechanics at the right time in boss fights. "Ads" in this game are too easy and battles over too quickly.

Oh and the lighting issue with the gamma shifting wildly drives me crazy ..cant believe they never fixed that! No motion blur either still which makes playing 30 fps extra uncomfortable ...i dont understand no fixes as Square is usually pretty good about adding stuff in updates ..not this game it never gets updated

I mastered the first games battle system this one flows perfectly for me.
I play the games in japanese and the voice acting is great.

To fire some random shots, I will Takes FF7's story over Hellblade 2 anyday.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I had a ton of fun with both this and Hellblade II. Not sure why we need to limit ourselves to only games that go bang bang.
because they are games, not movies. i want my games to be interactive. dont all have to be shooters. if you are making a video game, it has to be FUN. im as big a graphics whore as any, but if the game isnt fun, i cant play it for long.

this game could've been a great detective game had the mechanics been fun. but nope, it's literally pressing x and then walking over to a marker then pressing x again for an hour each time. its awful game design. hellblade 2 was pressing up for an hour then a 5 minute combat sequence then 1 more hour of walking then another 5 minute combat sequence for nearly 7 hours. it was torture.

they couldve added puzzles in both games. there is a time mechanic in no one wants to die that is used so poorly it might as well not be there. go play gow ascension to see how time puzzles can be done so that they are fun.

SlimySnake

Game sucks ass. they ruined the combat too. cut your losses and stop while you are ahead. i forced myself to play through it because i thought i would get better, but it stops and starts so many times that it basically is part of the game design. They have an hour of walking and mini games followed by 15 minutes of combat followed by 15 minutes of cringy story exposition. This 2 hour loop is basically the entire game done 15x to create a bloated 50 hour campaign. There are a few open world areas you can explore at your own pace, but they are so barebones that even PS3 era AC and Ubisoft open world games were better designed.

Seriously, fuck this game.

Who would've thought that 2024 would be such a lame year for graphics ...so inficative of this bizarre generation though ...expectations get shattered for the worse ...im thinking Sony like with Spiderman 2 or LoU1 Remake like you'd think those two games natively built for PS5 would be THE most graphically amazing games ever ...at least Hellblade 2 DE-livered.

I still think PC players at least are going to be really happy in 2 weeks with Black Myth
it will get better. its not just black myth. star wars, space marine, silent hill remake and ac shadows will all look amazing on your tv. just dont play them on 60 fps modes because they downgrade the settings there and render them at 720p. or wait for the pro until november which should let devs use 1080p base resolution and a far better AI upscaling solution that should look closer to 4k than even 1440p.

the biggest problem this year was that the FF7 rebirth, stellar blade, rise of ronin and other AAA devs phoned it in just like ND did with TLOU1 and Insomniac did with Spiderman 2. All these games were next gen only and barely looked better than last gen games. Say what you will about disappointing games last year but FF16, Starfield, Avatar and Alan Wake 2 at least delivered in visual fidelity.

Msamy

Pretty sure sony santa monica next title will look amazing ( even can surpass high end UE5 titles and naughtydog next game) after checking their LinkedIn page in past two years they add many lead graphics & rendering programmes from weta , ea frostbite , ubisoft and ready at down they currently have the most talented graphics programmmers group in sony first party studios , I can't wait to see Cory next game

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
because they are games, not movies. i want my games to be interactive. dont all have to be shooters. if you are making a video game, it has to be FUN. im as big a graphics whore as any, but if the game isnt fun, i cant play it for long.

this game could've been a great detective game had the mechanics been fun. but nope, it's literally pressing x and then walking over to a marker then pressing x again for an hour each time. its awful game design. hellblade 2 was pressing up for an hour then a 5 minute combat sequence then 1 more hour of walking then another 5 minute combat sequence for nearly 7 hours. it was torture.

they couldve added puzzles in both games. there is a time mechanic in no one wants to die that is used so poorly it might as well not be there. go play gow ascension to see how time puzzles can be done so that they are fun.

I will personally disagree that games need to be "fun" any more than books or movies need to be "fun". Games can be dread inducing, relaxing, terrifying, depressing, therapeutic, etc.. etc.. They can be much more than just "fun".

What separates games from those other mediums is how much more immersive those experiences can be, and how much more effectively they can make you feel those emotions.

Just seems like such a limited bubble to limit yourself to. But if it's not for you, it's not for you.

samoilaaa

I will personally disagree that games need to be "fun" any more than books or movies need to be "fun". Games can be dread inducing, relaxing, terrifying, depressing, therapeutic, etc.. etc.. They can be much more than just "fun".

What separates games from those other mediums is how much more immersive those experiences can be, and how much more effectively they can make you feel those emotions.

Just seems like such a limited bubble to limit yourself to. But if it's not for you, it's not for you.
i agree , we are way past the point of games being just fun , now games are used to tell a story , to send a message , to show ur imagination to the world

for example SOMA is a game that really makes you think about life and purpose , it doesnt have any shooting , explosions but it had a huge impact on many players

SlimySnake

I agree with this.

I completely disagree with this. no one is reading boring books or watching boring movies. when i say fun, i mean interesting, intriguing and hellblade 2 and no one wants to die are anything but.

CamHostage

I completely disagree with this. no one is reading boring books or watching boring movies.

Well, i think it's a reach to disavow every aspect of an entertainment product that stimulates the senses except for what exhilarates, but that's fine for you. (Your bound to have a pretty rad lending shelf if that's all you collect.) Just saying though, Cormac McCarthy and Terrance Mallick do have careers.

when i say fun, i mean interesting, intriguing and hellblade 2 and no one wants to die are anything but.

Interesting and intriguing are good things for entertainment to have, but they don't make up a definition for "fun".

I'm not sure the words 'interesting' or 'intriguing' apply to Contra, for example, but it sure is fun shooting shit up.

Last edited:

Bojji

I agree with this.

I completely disagree with this. no one is reading boring books or watching boring movies. when i say fun, i mean interesting, intriguing and hellblade 2 and no one wants to die are anything but.

Completely agree with this, there are books and movies that are not "fun" at all but fucking depressing, scary etc. but people still want to know their story.

To me game don't need to be fun or have ton of gameplay to be interesting, Nobody Wants to Die is like that and many more games that people describe as "no gameplay". Interactive storytelling, you can say that those games are closer to movies than to "Mario Bros" but there is place for that, every genre has its fans.

For example I don't like games like BG3 but there are clearly millions of people that do.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Really impressed by this lighting mod for Dark Souls 2. it adds volumetric lighting and new shadows which then completely change the look of the game.

its crazy to me that these modders can do this while most studios in the ps4 era simply settled for making 1080p 60 fps versions of their ps3 games. imagine uncharted 1-3 and assassins creed games with volumetric lighting effects and proper shadows. they automatically the poor textures. this is much closer to the pre-downgraded version of Dark Souls 2 which was actually demo'd at Gamescom.

Game sucks ass. they ruined the combat too. cut your losses and stop while you are ahead. i forced myself to play through it because i thought i would get better, but it stops and starts so many times that it basically is part of the game design. They have an hour of walking and mini games followed by 15 minutes of combat followed by 15 minutes of cringy story exposition. This 2 hour loop is basically the entire game done 15x to create a bloated 50 hour campaign. There are a few open world areas you can explore at your own pace, but they are so barebones that even PS3 era AC and Ubisoft open world games were better designed.

Seriously, fuck this game.

it will get better. its not just black myth. star wars, space marine, silent hill remake and ac shadows will all look amazing on your tv. just dont play them on 60 fps modes because they downgrade the settings there and render them at 720p. or wait for the pro until november which should let devs use 1080p base resolution and a far better AI upscaling solution that should look closer to 4k than even 1440p.

the biggest problem this year was that the FF7 rebirth, stellar blade, rise of ronin and other AAA devs phoned it in just like ND did with TLOU1 and Insomniac did with Spiderman 2. All these games were next gen only and barely looked better than last gen games. Say what you will about disappointing games last year but FF16, Starfield, Avatar and Alan Wake 2 at least delivered in visual fidelity.

Yeah, im looking forward to playing some of these upcoming games even if its at 30 fps. Ive gotten used to 30 fps again, sadly, because the graphics are so much better. Black Myth tho will be rough to play at 30 due to its combat ...i hope all these games have unlocked fps fidelity modes for the ps5 pro but will the devs even think to include them?? Makes no sense not to include them if the Pro is really coming...cant trust devs to make forward thinking choices like this tho

Really impressed by this lighting mod for Dark Souls 2. it adds volumetric lighting and new shadows which then completely change the look of the game.

its crazy to me that these modders can do this while most studios in the ps4 era simply settled for making 1080p 60 fps versions of their ps3 games. imagine uncharted 1-3 and assassins creed games with volumetric lighting effects and proper shadows. they automatically the poor textures. this is much closer to the pre-downgraded version of Dark Souls 2 which was actually demo'd at Gamescom.

That's nice ^^ finally being able to play the DS2 we saw originally ...such a moody and atmospheric game if anyone hasn't played ds2 because of all the negativity it gets you owe it to yourself to check it out now

SlimySnake

Yeah, im looking forward to playing some of these upcoming games even if its at 30 fps. Ive gotten used to 30 fps again, sadly, because the graphics are so much better. Black Myth tho will be rough to play at 30 due to its combat ...i hope all these games have unlocked fps fidelity modes for the ps5 pro but will the devs even think to include them?? Makes no sense not to include them if the Pro is really coming...cant trust devs to make forward thinking choices like this tho
the ps5 pro leaks stated that sony is forcing all games to support the ps5 pro starting from september. so any game released from september onwards should be supported. that does exclude black myth but its highly likely that it gets ps5 pro support once it comes out. most devs did that with the ps4 pro.

ckstine

I've played through ds2 with and without the mod a few times each. It's such an impressive mod. I really want to convey that. But, and I am typically not that guy, but it just fucking ruins the atmosphere for me. I liked the demons souls remake even, so I'm not biased against remakes or graphical updates. It just really sucked the life out of it IMO. Still goddamn impressive nonetheless.

SlimySnake

Gamescom is going to have a playable 1 hour demo of Crimson Desert. I guess we will finally find out about downgrades and just how realistic it is to have a game this insane. by far the most ambitious game ive seen this gen. looks too good to be true, but time to find out.

Gifs credit to gif god B benzy

fXkDX9I.gif

5v8JX5v.gif

SlimySnake

35 minutes Dev Diary for Stalker. I find it hilarious that Ukraine has been in a full scale war since 2022 and the devs still managed to finish their game. They moved the development HQ from Kyiv to Czech Republic and despite losing multiple devs who went to join the Army, managed to finish the game. Amazing.

Meanwhile CD Project, ND, Bluepoint, Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Cyrstal Dynamics have all been working on their next gen games since 2020 from the comfort of their homes and have yet to show anything, let alone come close to releasing it. I swear video game development is a racket.

SlimySnake

New Assassins Creed platforming video shows off some fancy visuals. Love to see those trees moving in the wind and while im not a fan of fog masking the draw distance in Horizon FW, its fairly high quality here.

Go to twitter to see the higher quality version. Twitter reduces resolution in the embedded feeds.

It's good to see improvement in animations compared to Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla but man it still feels a bit off compared to AC Unity. Slightly smoother than Unity but a bit floaty at the same time. Unity's grappling was limited to certain points in the map, but felt much snappier in general.

SlimySnake

DF Direct on Space Marine 2 is very interesting. They were blown away by the sheer level of detail and NPC counts in the levels; calling it almost overwhelming. But whats interesting is that Alex didnt find any signs of ray tracing. Others said that there arent any of those so-called next gen features present either. No lumen or nanite. Baked lighting. And yet they all agree it looks next gen as fuck. Just goes to show that those features arent exactly needed to produce next gen visuals.

Timestamped:

Apparently, Alex was able to run the PC version at native 4k 60 fps with DLAA on a 4090 so my 3080 should be able to run it at DLSS 4k quality at 60 fps which bodes well for a relatively high resolution PS5 version in the 30 fps mode. There were some traversal and shader stutters though but that could just be due to the fact that they were given a single level from around midway through the game.

They were given some 1080p footage by the devs to show off the game but it was likely console footage and running at around 45 fps. So they might have to drop to 900p to get 60 fps. Still not too bad considering most games nowadays are dropping to 720p in their 60 fps modes.

mrqs

Subscribed to Ubisoft+ to play Star Wars Outlaws when it comes out. I took the opportunity to try out Avatar, and it looks a bit better than I expected! What a challenge it should have been to render so many plants and leaves, and it still looks good. It has some problems with lighting and stutters on Series X, but it's a cool game!

Luipadre

New Assassins Creed platforming video shows off some fancy visuals. Love to see those trees moving in the wind and while im not a fan of fog masking the draw distance in Horizon FW, its fairly high quality here.

Go to twitter to see the higher quality version. Twitter reduces resolution in the embedded feeds.

It's good to see improvement in animations compared to Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla but man it still feels a bit off compared to AC Unity. Slightly smoother than Unity but a bit floaty at the same time. Unity's grappling was limited to certain points in the map, but felt much snappier in general.

Much better animations than those 3 previous games finally

Edder1

35 minutes Dev Diary for Stalker. I find it hilarious that Ukraine has been in a full scale war since 2022 and the devs still managed to finish their game. They moved the development HQ from Kyiv to Czech Republic and despite losing multiple devs who went to join the Army, managed to finish the game. Amazing.

Meanwhile CD Project, ND, Bluepoint, Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Cyrstal Dynamics have all been working on their next gen games since 2020 from the comfort of their homes and have yet to show anything, let alone come close to releasing it. I swear video game development is a racket.

People were saying the game was getting a downgrade, but everything in that video looks on par or better than reveal trailer. Indirect lighting in this game is so good it makes some shots look downright photorealistic.

Last edited:

Edder1

Those last gen animations are so hideous. The biggest problem with the graphics of this game is the last gen looking lighting along with too many reused assets from previous games. Overall it's another Frankenstein "next gen" game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Those last gen animations are so hideous. The biggest problem with the graphics of this game is the last gen looking lighting along with too many reused assets from previous games. Overall it's another Frankenstein "next gen" game.
What's funny is that they are using RTGI and a nanite style virtualized geometry system for the assets but the both the lighting and asset quality looks last gen, doesnt it. Meanwhile Space Marine 2 is using so-called last gen techniques and looks much better. Go figure.

Still a very pretty game though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Nobody Wants To Die (Ultra, DLSS, ReShade, 3440*1440P with 1,78 DLDSR, HDR)

The next short (5-6 hours playtime), but graphically pretty impressive UE5 game.
Wow. I might go back and give this game another shot. Some of those latter levels look amazing.

Subscribed to Ubisoft+ to play Star Wars Outlaws when it comes out. I took the opportunity to try out Avatar, and it looks a bit better than I expected! What a challenge it should have been to render so many plants and leaves, and it still looks good. It has some problems with lighting and stutters on Series X, but it's a cool game!
What lighting problems are you seeing? The console versions are pretty good with the xbox versions suffering from some stutters but lighting is virtually identical across all platforms.

It's a gorgeous game. I am very curious to see the forest levels in Star Wars.

Edder1

What's funny is that they are using RTGI and a nanite style virtualized geometry system for the assets but the both the lighting and asset quality looks last gen, doesnt it. Meanwhile Space Marine 2 is using so-called last gen techniques and looks much better. Go figure.

Still a very pretty game though.
Ubisoft tech has been very hit and miss this gen and I'm largely unimpressed. This is very strange as last gen they were really pushing tech hard. It's the weirdest generation, we're about to enter second half of this gen and we're still waiting for most publishers to join current generation of technology. The fact that so many of them just sat back on their arse and didn't invest in their engines to bring them up to standard is baffling to say the least. Cannot attribute this to anything but corporate greed and trying to squeeze every dollar with minimum effort.

GooseMan69

Naoe has the potential to be one of the coolest AC protagonists ever. Of course Ubisoft had to shoehorn in some dual protagonist bullshit to fill out the diversity checklist. Can’t have nice things anymore.

SlimySnake

Ubisoft tech has been very hit and miss this gen and I'm largely unimpressed. This is very strange as last gen they were really pushing tech hard. It's the weirdest generation, we're about to enter second half of this gen and we're still waiting for most publishers to join current generation of technology. The fact that so many of them just sat back on their arse and didn't invest in their engines to bring them up to standard is baffling to say the least. Cannot attribute this to anything but corporate greed and trying to squeeze every dollar with minimum effort.
I wish I could blame corporate greed but Zenimax made Starfield next gen only and gave Todd Howard 5 years to make the game, 8 if you dont really count Fallout 76 which was an online only game. Ubisoft gave this AC team 6 years, and no last gen mandate. Spiderman 2 got 5 years and no last gen mandate from Sony. EA has made pretty much everything next gen only. FF7 Rebirth was also done in 4 years with no last gen version. Suicide Squad took 9 years and used last gen assets despite WB giving them no last gen mandate.

I can blame corporate greed for making Horizon FW, Gt7, RE4, and GOW Ragnorak last gen, but other than that almost games released after the first year were allowed to be next gen only and given 4-5 years of dev time.

It's the devs who chose to not make next gen assets. ND literally copied and pasted TLOU2's assets for a PS5 only remake instead of creating brand new ones. No Sony studio has invested in RTGI or even realtime software GI. FF7 rebirth devs proudly claimed that they would reuse the character models from the ps4 game.

What's funny is that Callisto is a cross gen game but they clearly designed the assets with the PS5 in mind because that game simply cannot load those high quality assets even in the ps4 pro version, and even the lower res assets take almost 18 seconds to load after you enter an area. Not sure why GG, PD, and SSM couldnt have done the same. they have more than double the devs callisto had which was a studio that literally started with 1 developer.

Edder1

I wish I could blame corporate greed but Zenimax made Starfield next gen only and gave Todd Howard 5 years to make the game, 8 if you dont really count Fallout 76 which was an online only game. Ubisoft gave this AC team 6 years, and no last gen mandate. Spiderman 2 got 5 years and no last gen mandate from Sony. EA has made pretty much everything next gen only. FF7 Rebirth was also done in 4 years with no last gen version. Suicide Squad took 9 years and used last gen assets despite WB giving them no last gen mandate.

I can blame corporate greed for making Horizon FW, Gt7, RE4, and GOW Ragnorak last gen, but other than that almost games released after the first year were allowed to be next gen only and given 4-5 years of dev time.

It's the devs who chose to not make next gen assets. ND literally copied and pasted TLOU2's assets for a PS5 only remake instead of creating brand new ones. No Sony studio has invested in RTGI or even realtime software GI. FF7 rebirth devs proudly claimed that they would reuse the character models from the ps4 game.

What's funny is that Callisto is a cross gen game but they clearly designed the assets with the PS5 in mind because that game simply cannot load those high quality assets even in the ps4 pro version, and even the lower res assets take almost 18 seconds to load after you enter an area. Not sure why GG, PD, and SSM couldnt have done the same. they have more than double the devs callisto had which was a studio that literally started with 1 developer.
Bathesda Softworks was always known to release games that were technically outdated, so Starfield not being technically impressive was to be expected. Ubisoft across the board seems like they're still in technical transition and I wouldn't be surprised if their heads told them to cut some corners on technical front to save money. Sony at large clearly had a strategy of cost saving and reusing old assets for many of their sequels that released in generational transition, so really Spiderman 2 is no surprise. FF7 Rebirth is another one that was clearly on the cost cutting front. This one is the most understandable because they're trying to get 3 games out as soon as possible and want to save money and time doing so. The one I have no explanation for is Suicide Squad, that just seems like a complete mess on all production fronts.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just tried the black myth benchmark tool on steam.

At first i got around 55 fps with all settings maxed out with dlss 4k in performance mode, but it didn’t look that great.

Then i realized that the ray tracing was off so i turned it on and my god the game looked so much better. But the framerate was only 20 fps. It was the best godamn slideshow I’ve ever seen.

Without ray tracing, the trees and foliage look ok. Nothing special like hellblade 2, but with ray tracing those same trees look photorealistic at times. Just gorgeous stuff.

This game will cripple most GPUs. Even at 1440p dlss performance i was getting an average of 33 fps. That’s 720p internal resolution.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Just tried the black myth benchmark tool on steam.

At first i got around 55 fps with all settings maxed out with dlss 4k in performance mode, but it didn’t look that great.

Then i realized that the ray tracing was off so i turned it on and my god the game looked so much better. But the framerate was only 20 fps. It was the best godamn slideshow I’ve ever seen.

Without ray tracing, the trees and foliage look ok. Nothing special like hellblade 2, but with ray tracing those same trees look photorealistic at times. Just gorgeous stuff.

This game will cripple most GPUs. Even at 1440p dlss performance i was getting an average of 33 fps. That’s 720p internal resolution.
What gpu?

Hunnybun

DF Direct on Space Marine 2 is very interesting. They were blown away by the sheer level of detail and NPC counts in the levels; calling it almost overwhelming. But whats interesting is that Alex didnt find any signs of ray tracing. Others said that there arent any of those so-called next gen features present either. No lumen or nanite. Baked lighting. And yet they all agree it looks next gen as fuck. Just goes to show that those features arent exactly needed to produce next gen visuals.

Timestamped:

Apparently, Alex was able to run the PC version at native 4k 60 fps with DLAA on a 4090 so my 3080 should be able to run it at DLSS 4k quality at 60 fps which bodes well for a relatively high resolution PS5 version in the 30 fps mode. There were some traversal and shader stutters though but that could just be due to the fact that they were given a single level from around midway through the game.

They were given some 1080p footage by the devs to show off the game but it was likely console footage and running at around 45 fps. So they might have to drop to 900p to get 60 fps. Still not too bad considering most games nowadays are dropping to 720p in their 60 fps modes.

What kind of spastic would want to play a game like that at 30fps?

Top Bottom