• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

proandrad

Hmmm ok well it looks very convincing. Most of the reshade nonsense I see look terrible but this was very well executed.
Oh, 100%, the person who tweaked the engine settings for this mod is extremely talented. Just goes to show that art style goes an extremely long way to make a game look impressive.

giphy.webp

S9OM.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here is a comparison between Evil West and Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Both UE4 games. Both came out around the same time. One of them is just way higher fidelity in both lighting and asset quality.

zbLkulV.gif

uzfMuRV.gif

I almost want to start another playthrough of FF16 because i remember those rocks in the opening chapter looking absolutely mind blowing. Star Wars outlaws looks to have some of the weakest looking rocks and desert planets ive seen but i wonder how they will hold up in the final game when youtube compression and even gifs stop hiding all the detail.

SlimySnake

I don’t remember the models looking nearly that detailed. Something has to be happening with the shadows as well
because they arent that detailed. these channels, especially the dreams channel use all kinds of mods to replace existing textures and models. they've been doing it since gta5 and have gotten really good at it.

notice how you almost never see actual combat or gameplay videos from main missions because the color corrections likely break the lighting in those levels. i tried to mod both GTA5 and witcher 3 and never even got close. some of these guys have like a 100-200 mods installed. some charge you for their build. some like this dreams guy doesnt even list the mods he's using because he;s likely faking half of the color corrections post capture.

they are extremely talented in their own wayt but i almost never look at those videos anymore because the game simply doesnt look like that even after you mod it.

Edder1

Animations still look worse than better PS3 era games. Outdoor graphics look weak due to some bang average indirect lighting. Indoors it looks next gen a lot of the time. Cutscenes look impressive. Voice work is so indie and off putting at times. Some of the in-game character models look way off. Overall it's a mixed bag.

Btw, I'm just not sure how they can screw up basic things like walking animations when you literally have UE5 preset animations you can buy for couple of bucks that look better than that. Baffling. I give it 7/10 on a remake scale.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I forever remain confused with shots like this:

Why on earth would you leave the textures like that on the bars when you know there's going to be a close up on them in a cutscene?

I'm sure it's not a frame budget issue given how good some other parts of the game look. And I appreciate there's some automation to this stuff, but if it's a unique asset it'd take someone five mins to go in and switch out a higher quality texture; and if it's a common asset, then duplicate it and switch out the texture. If I was making a trailer like this and I saw this in a shot my first thought would be to get someone to fix this (and even more so if it's a cutscene in the game).

Folks may say it's only a small thing and it's silly to focus on it, but I just can't grasp how anyone can have such a lack of attention to detail, especially when it could be corrected very quickly and easily. It just says to me they don't care. There's no excuse for any curated shots to have such poor texture elements in them.

tRpfUy7.jpeg

Last edited:

Edder1

I swear ps3 era open world games were far more fun than this, and i just cant understand why devs might have gotten worse in the last 20 years. they are likely no longer in the industry and the young uns are simply not good enough because they had no one teaching them the basics of good game design.
This is a point I missed. Devs just aren't as good as they used to be, not the new generation anyway. This isn't a problem with just videogaming, it's a problem across the board. Creativity has taken a massive dive post 2010 and we are not seeing any sign of recovery, not yet anyway. There have been some exceptions here and there, but generally gaming has been in creative decline for a good decade.

Last edited:

Why on earth would you leave the textures like that on the bars when you know there's going to be a close up on them in a cutscene?

I'm sure it's not a frame budget issue given how good some other parts of the game look. And I appreciate there's some automation to this stuff, but if it's a unique asset it'd take someone five mins to go in and switch out a higher quality texture; and if it's a common asset, then duplicate it and switch out the texture. If I was making a trailer like this and I saw this in a shot my first thought would be to get someone to fix this (and even more so if it's a cutscene in the game).

Folks may say it's only a small thing and it's silly to focus on it, but I just can't grasp how anyone can have such a lack of attention to detail, especially when it could be corrected very quickly and easily. It just says to me they don't care. There's no excuse for any curated shots to have such poor texture elements in them.

tRpfUy7.jpeg
You don’t get it. When the town transitions to the Other World everything in it downgrades 2 consoles generations.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Consider that for everything that you see and think, "This would take them 5 minutes to fix" there are a thousand other things they need to fix and things that they don't even have a place holder for and need to get done. Because games are big

SlimySnake

tRpfUy7.jpeg
a few things. the bar might have some DoF effects being applied to it. since this is a cutscene and their main priority is the main character, not some bars.
Two, its possibly that the DoF is being incorrectly applied.
Three, youtube compression. there is no way they are using low quality materials for a bar that is likely an asset lifted straight out of megascans.
lastly, look at the rust and other oddities on the bar. its clearly more detailed than a shiny new bar so some work was spent on this. this could be a bug in UE4 as we have textures fail to pop up in games like star wars and final fantasy 7, but with nanite this should never happen so likely a DoF bug.

Silent Hill 2 extended footage looks pretty good I think, however, it has lost that next gen sheen that the initial trailer had..there's something about the image that's a little off putting ...something harsh about the sharpening or who knows .. gives me the sense i will get queesy playing it ...theres a lot of camera shake too

The general artstyle is pretty good ...fidelity looks pretty good ..im cautiously excited still

Last edited:
Its absurd to me that Black Myth releases in a couple hours and still nobody knows what the PS5 version is like ...sorry but that short, 2 minute "boss fight official gameplay" isn't good enough...it doesn't look that good either but is that because of the video quality or is this a victim of FSR2? Either way none of this bodes well for the console version ...which begs the question why are so many console gamers satisfied with that breadcrumb of footage? Why are some Youtubers pointing to how "great" the ps5 version looks based on that clip? Why are console gamers in general so dumb and willing to let their hopes for a game overide their ability to be objective about it?

Flabagast

Its absurd to me that Black Myth releases in a couple hours and still nobody knows what the PS5 version is like ...sorry but that short, 2 minute "boss fight official gameplay" isn't good enough...it doesn't look that good either but is that because of the video quality or is this a victim of FSR2? Either way none of this bodes well for the console version ...which begs the question why are so many console gamers satisfied with that breadcrumb of footage? Why are some Youtubers pointing to how "great" the ps5 version looks based on that clip? Why are console gamers in general so dumb and willing to let their hopes for a game overide their ability to be objective about it?
Because people want to believe. Unfortunately the game will probably be a huge technical catastrophe on PS5

Last edited:
It’s going to be 40-60fps with atrocious image quality on PS5. As usual this gen it’s “fidelity mode” with a solid 30fps and massively improved image quality will be the way to play it (same as AW2, FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth). Sucks but it is what it is.

SlimySnake

Because people want to believe. Unfortunately the game will probably be a huge technical catastrophe on PS5
What game has been a technical catastrophe on the ps5 this gen? Only Star Wars comes to mind and that was a disaster on all platforms. And still is on pc.

Ps5 has held its own in pretty much every game this Gen with only 60 fps modes dropping resolutions to 720p to maintain s solid 60 fps.

No one should be expecting these UE5 next gen only games to hit 60 fps and then cry if they dont. the consoles are not meant to do this. you wouldve needed $800 consoles. i paid $1000 on the gpu alone just to get 60 fps at ps5 quality mode resolutions. and even then i had to upgrade my cpu and ram because it wasnt enough. and that was another $600 expense because you cant always upgrade your cpu without upgrading your mobo.

this game will run fine in 30 fps mode. it isnt that heavy on PC without path tracing. lumen does a good enough job here and ps5's quality mode should be fine at around 1296-1440p 30 fps.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

AC shadows is such an odd looking title. You have an insane amount of detail but otherwise the game looks last gen as fuck. I suppose the day time lighting is great but everything else looks like they didnt even try updating their engine. It's got a very FF7 Rebirth feel to it. Yes, the level of detail is maxed out in the open world but the overall asset quality, character models and lighting leaves a lot to be desired.

there are some stunning shots here but they are few and far between. I dont want to call the game schizo like FF16 because its open world and not all areas in an open world game can look great, but its very odd to see them just kind of phone in character models, interior lighting, and asset quality. i really fucking hope sucker punch shows off some japanese interiors next month or whenever they reveal the ps5 pro because i refuse to believe this is the best we can get.

Holy fucking shit. This looks next gen as fuck.

how are these random no name devs making stuff like this while other AAA devs cant?

Damn, I may have to play that on the point, that I live in this city... and there seems to be even a part (level?) playing in Potsdam (castle Sanscoussi) the city, I was born in.
Faces look weird, but Cyberpunk home town? Count me in.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Downloaded Wu Kong, will play tomorrow night. God bless China. Showing up literally every studio in Japan aside from Kojima, graphically, on their first try.

They will be a force to be reckoned with next gen. And I guarantee you they will NEVER take 7 years to make a game, I will put money on them shortening dev times.

Imagine what GameScience could do with a 300 million dollar budget like some Western devs have

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Downloaded Wu Kong, will play tomorrow night. God bless China. Showing up literally every studio in Japan aside from Kojima, graphically, on their first try.

They will be a force to be reckoned with next gen. And I guarantee you they will NEVER take 7 years to make a game, I will put money on them shortening dev times.
Dude you should really build a pc, a graphic whore like you is missing with just a ps5.

SlimySnake

Pretty significant downgrade for Black Myth here. At least on the PS5. The lighting is not as impressive, and the fur on the wolf boss is no longer as thick.

The level of detail and overall asset fidelity is more or less still there. But i dont like the lighting choices.

Msamy

Black ops 6 is the best looking cod title i have ever seen i just hoped they go current gen only but they don't

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is 2024 cgi. Real time graphics will never match CGI at the same time. It can only get close to CGI of years previous
Yeah, this will take decades. we are only just getting to PS3 era CG.

Some elements like character models and cutscene fidelity will get there sooner, but the overall fidelity is just not going to be possible anytime soon. Something like Hellblade 2 is probably comparable to Final fantasy Advent children but i havent seen that in a while. I do know that in cutscenes FF16 and FF7 Rebirth looked very close to those CG clips in FF13. Especially FF7 Rebirth because they share the same over the top colorful art style. Matrix cutscenes looked very close to Matrix Reloaded's CG cutscenes too.

I am happy with the cg feel of some of the games ive played recently. They are not movie quality CG but i dont need them to be. I want that pre-rendered feel and several games this gen have given me that feeling, some in cutscenes like Ratchet, FF games, and some in gameplay like Hellblade 2 and Callisto. CG relies so heavily on smooth animations and thick volumetric effects, Depth of field effects, and movie quality cinematography that only a few studios are capable of. its why some talented studios like Massive and Asobo Studios who have the tech expertise but are not quite there on animation and cinematography, just cant produce those Hellblade 2 and Callisto like visuals.

I love to compare Sony games to their PS4 CG ads, and Kojima is actually coming very close to those character models we saw in the Death Stranding CG ad. The TLOU2 cg ad is what i wanted from this gen and I think ND can get there in gameplay simply because they are the kings of animation and cinematography. unless of course they are going open world then forget about it.

Games such as Final Fantasy 16 and Hellblade 2, also seeing what was accomplished in cross gen Ragnarok, make me comfortable saying a PS5 only GoW can absolutely reach this level of fidelity.
Absolutely not....
We are talking full multi-bounce pathttracing with 100% stable and perfectly clean image quality here....
That´s not even within PS6`s reach. Hell, giving current pathtracing implementations like in CP2077 just a third bounce instantly fucks a 4090.....

Just because some assets can reach comparable levels of quality in stills doesn`t mean the rest can keep up in motion, especially not on some last gen budget hardware.

Last edited:

CGNoire

AC shadows is such an odd looking title. You have an insane amount of detail but otherwise the game looks last gen as fuck. I suppose the day time lighting is great but everything else looks like they didnt even try updating their engine. It's got a very FF7 Rebirth feel to it. Yes, the level of detail is maxed out in the open world but the overall asset quality, character models and lighting leaves a lot to be desired.

there are some stunning shots here but they are few and far between. I dont want to call the game schizo like FF16 because its open world and not all areas in an open world game can look great, but its very odd to see them just kind of phone in character models, interior lighting, and asset quality. i really fucking hope sucker punch shows off some japanese interiors next month or whenever they reveal the ps5 pro because i refuse to believe this is the best we can get.

Its cause there shaders and lighting reak leaving everthing flat.

Top Bottom