• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Watching more leaked footage from wolverine m13 build , and one more time I can easily said it looks far better than Spiderman 2 and it still far from release , i can't wait to see official gameplay video from latest build , insomniac are cooking some amazing thing right now 🔥 🔥🔥
Any links?

The last footage i saw was very underwhelming. i know how much lighting can enhance textures after seeing path tracing completely revamp the look of the assets in Dragons Dogma so im cautiously optimistic the same thing happens here but man right now everything from animations to lighting and textures looks underwhelming as fuck. might be better than spiderman 2 but well below stuff like star wars jedi survivor, callisto and hellblade 2.

mrqs

I think people will go nuts when they see comparisons of Outlaws between PCs and consoles. I bet the game will look like trash on consoles, unfortunately.

Dunker99

I think people will go nuts when they see comparisons of Outlaws between PCs and consoles. I bet the game will look like trash on consoles, unfortunately.
I guess I’ll add it to my list of games I’m holding off from playing in the hope they’ll get a PS5 Pro patch some time in the future. Or maybe I’ll just wait for the PS6.

PeteBull

It cant be helped, looks like game is very demanding on pc
and 3060ti is above ps5 in performance, both raster in rt, so if we gonna get 60fps mode it will likely have super blurry image on base consoles aka low native res.

Dunker99

I know it’s not “open world”, but Massive’s Division 2 looks gorgeous (in my opinion) at 60fps on consoles. I wonder what resolution that plays at? I guess Outlaws is doing a lot more graphically.

PeteBull

I know it’s not “open world”, but Massive’s Division 2 looks gorgeous (in my opinion) at 60fps on consoles. I wonder what resolution that plays at? I guess Outlaws is doing a lot more graphically.
Im guessing u talking about series x coz its drs 1440p-4k, ps5 got 1890p max but still drs can drop it to 1080p, series s is 900 to 1080p drs too.
All in DF's vid timestamped

Dunker99

Im guessing u talking about series x coz its drs 1440p-4k, ps5 got 1890p max but still drs can drop it to 1080p, series s is 900 to 1080p drs too.
All in DF's vid timestamped

Sorry - yes, Series X. Thanks for the info.

I hope Outlaws isn’t too low res on consoles (in performance mode). But I’ll probably wait to play it on the Pro whenever that comes out.

SlimySnake

Honestly, it's looking better than I expected. That IGN demo surely had something fishy going on. Game looks sharp!

EDIT: Wait, this is the PC version, it says right at the beginning of the gameplay. Looked too good to be true.
DF just today said that the preview footage is fucked because of issues with nvidia capture, 1080p base resolution, lack of RT effects like shadows and reflections, and uneven framerate. They have brought up these concerns before with nvidia shareplay. And ubisoft for whatever reason continues to release shitty capture of their games.

We had similar concerns with Avatar last year in this very thread when the previews were released. The captures looked like shit. This thread went up in flames screaming downgrade and then the game came out and looked stunning on both consoles in quality mode, and even better on PC.

Avatar runs very well on consoles. In quality mode, it uses FSR2 quality which is 1440p internal resolution. it actually goes up to 1800p at times. They released a 40 fps mode later on because they had a lot of headroom available even in quality mode. Their FSR2 implementation was also very good resulting in far less shimmering and ghosting though it could be due to the higher internal resolution. Even the 60 fps version which has lower internal resolution actually has RTGI and reflections making it the only game on consoles that features multiple RT effects in performance mode. Console versions were also further optimized thanks to mesh shader support which was not added to PC. Massive did a phenomenal job with Avatar on all platforms so its kinda bizarre to see star wars get a completely different treatment. Maybe everything will come together at the end.

As long as console gamers stick with 30 to 40 fps modes, they should get a pretty similar experience to PC. However, this time around they are using a different form of ray tracing on PC which might produce even better results than Avatar. though again, DF wasnt sure if that was in the preview build because they definitely spotted screenspace reflections and shadows in the PC footage when it's been confirmed to be using RT shadows and reflections.

You can view the discussion here:

It does seem like the volumetric wind effects in the snow city have been toned down drastically. it felt very CGish in the original reveal with thick volumetrics. now it just feels like a really cheap wind simulation.

SlimySnake

DF's new Direct covers the upcoming RTGI implementation in Fifa. Whats interesting is that EA Sports has secretly already implemented RTGI in another sports game. The awesome looking College Football game released last month.

It also runs at 1440p 60 fps just like the fidelity mode in Fifa 25 which features various RT effects and higher fidelity shadows and character model lighting. DF did some digging and found a presentation where they talked about adding that to their college football game. Very interesting stuff. The massive jump in fidelity in the College football game was immediately noticeable and now it makes sense why. They are using 1440p 30 fps cutscenes for intros, crowd, player celebrations and massively up the quality of shadows and lighting in that game. Basically what they said they will do for their upcoming Fifa game.

Timestamped:

Say what you will about EA but man they have released several next gen only games this gen, including a sports title which is crazy to think about. Star Wars jedi used RTGI and reflections. Dead Space was also next gen only and used RTAO. Immortals used all UE5 features. They had next gen hair physics back at launch some 4 years ago. Now they are adding RT to sports games and are finally willing to make the fucking cuts to native resolutions and framerates to deliver higher fidelity visuals. it will be interesting to see how the open world in dragon age looks on a next gen frostbite engine. They have already imported the hair tech from Fifa.

Msamy

Any links?

The last footage i saw was very underwhelming. i know how much lighting can enhance textures after seeing path tracing completely revamp the look of the assets in Dragons Dogma so im cautiously optimistic the same thing happens here but man right now everything from animations to lighting and textures looks underwhelming as fuck. might be better than spiderman 2 but well below stuff like star wars jedi survivor, callisto and hellblade 2.

There are also other gameplay videos in 4k in this channel alongside this one , but take in consideration the textures and vfx effects still far away from finished

SlimySnake

There are also other gameplay videos in 4k in this channel alongside this one , but take in consideration the textures and vfx effects still far away from finished

I like the lighting on the distant trees but really disappointed by how linear and last gen this area feels in terms of environment complexity. it feels like Shadow of Tomb Raider with better lighting.

Msamy

I like the lighting on the distant trees but really disappointed by how linear and last gen this area feels in terms of environment complexity. it feels like Shadow of Tomb Raider with better lighting.
I think environment still far from finished and Insomniac is good at everything except lighting so if the the lighting looks this good in 2023 build i really have high hopes in final build also you need to watch other videos in that channel Insomniac really did good job at upgrading their engine
Edit:-some shots taken by me from leaked videos
G7QpyaN.jpeg
n5ng5Xg.jpeg
yLa3tb1.jpeg
LUbLPZV.jpeg
pNhrNDo.jpeg
ubSfvIA.jpeg
k5p9RqH.jpeg
8XN0LBh.jpeg
rXaVLiy.jpeg
gNHaRDA.jpeg
C6b6vt4.jpeg
Q5QOaFL.jpeg
QEgiDDP.jpeg
ekiK1fy.jpeg
iYaVgLU.jpeg
l0Q5NEA.jpeg
62IByA5.jpeg
9oAKvAF.jpeg

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Booted up Ghost of Tsushima. It still looks fucking awesome, even with the limited draw distance and lack of detail on certain textures. It’s such a powerhouse artistically. Riding your horse full speed through a field still looks absolutely immense. I can’t wait to see how AC Shadows stacks up.

SlimySnake

I was watching some of the footage from the warhammer previews and everyone's talking about how beautiful the game looks, but man it looked washed out and underwhelming just like the star wars previews. But then I stumbled upon some 4k uploads by some PC youtubers and wow, the difference is massive. You can actually see all the textures and the distant buildings in the 4k feeds. The game is still lacking volumetric effects we saw in the trailers last year but it could just be a gameplay choice for more visibility or because the coop levels they were allowed to show off dont feature them.

Regardless, it made me go and search for some 4k star wars outlaws footage, but because the game was basically running at 1080p in those previews without rt effects, it still looked underwhelming. Until i clicked on a couple of nvidias youtube channel's videos that have exceptional image quality and the game looks phenomenal there. the level of detail in these videos is amazing. the E3 gameplay video is also up in really high quality there plus a dlss 3.5 trailer that showcases rt effects. both look stunning and almost on par with what we saw at e3 last year.

yalTP6I.gif

I bet it will look even better in HDR. Both Space Marine 2 and Star Wars Outlaws are going to impress. It will be very interesting to see which one comes out on top. The level of detail in Space Marine levels is nuts, but star wars interiors are also jam packed with detail.

Then there is Black Myth which is releasing next week. They just released a trailer and the opening few shots of the levels look better than anything ive seen. It sucks that the game is mostly 1v1 souls style combat so you dont really get to see those expansive vistas. I wish it was a Tomb Raider or Uncharted style game because i would love to explore that world instead of going from one fighting arena to the next.

Anyway, the year might have sucked so far but we are going to have some stunning games releasing in the next few months. I am excited for Silent Hill 2 as well. Thats another game that is being butchered by youtube compression. I think it might look even better than Black Myth.

Im gonna predict my top 10 and come back to this at the end of the year to see if playing these games on my PC/OLED tv would change my mind.

1) Star Wars Outlaws
2) Silent Hill 2 remake
3) AC Shadows
4) Space Marine 2
5) Black Myth
6) Horizon Legos
7) Dragon Age
8) Dragon's Dogma 2
9) MGS3 remake
10) Astro bot

Not a bad end to whats been an awful year for games AND graphics so far.

Last edited:

xxDeadlockxx

Neo Member
Estaba viendo algunas de las imágenes de los avances de Warhammer y todos hablan de lo hermoso que se ve el juego, pero se veía descolorido y decepcionante, como los avances de Star Wars. Pero luego me topé con algunas subidas en 4k de algunos YouTubers de PC y vaya, la diferencia es enorme. De hecho, puedes ver todas las texturas y los edificios distantes en las transmisiones en 4k. El juego aún carece de los efectos volumétricos que vimos en los avances del año pasado, pero podría ser solo una elección de juego para tener más visibilidad o porque los niveles cooperativos que se les permitió mostrar no los presentan.

De todas formas, me hizo buscar algunas imágenes de Star Wars Outlaws en 4k, pero como el juego se ejecutaba básicamente a 1080p en esas vistas previas sin efectos RT, todavía se veía decepcionante. Hasta que hice clic en un par de videos del canal de YouTube de Nvidia que tienen una calidad de imagen excepcional y el juego se ve fenomenal allí. El nivel de detalle en estos videos es asombroso. El video de juego de E3 también está en muy alta calidad allí, además de un avance de dlss 3.5 que muestra efectos RT. Ambos se ven impresionantes y casi a la par con lo que vimos en E3 el año pasado.

yalTP6I.gif

Apuesto a que se verá aún mejor en HDR. Tanto Space Marine 2 como Star Wars Outlaws van a impresionar. Será muy interesante ver cuál sale ganando. El nivel de detalle en los niveles de Space Marine es una locura, pero los interiores de Star Wars también están repletos de detalles.

Luego está Black Myth, que se lanzará la semana que viene. Acaban de lanzar un tráiler y las primeras tomas de los niveles se ven mejor que cualquier otra cosa que haya visto. Es una lástima que el juego sea principalmente un combate de almas de 1 contra 1, por lo que realmente no puedes ver esas vistas expansivas. Desearía que fuera un juego al estilo Tomb Raider o Uncharted porque me encantaría explorar ese mundo en lugar de ir de una arena de lucha a la siguiente.

De todos modos, puede que el año haya sido un desastre hasta ahora, pero vamos a tener algunos juegos increíbles que se lanzarán en los próximos meses. También estoy entusiasmado por Silent Hill 2. Es otro juego que está siendo destrozado por la compresión de YouTube. Creo que podría verse incluso mejor que Black Myth.

Voy a predecir mi top 10 y volveré a esto a fin de año para ver si jugar estos juegos en mi PC/televisor OLED me haría cambiar de opinión.

1) Forajidos de Star Wars
2) Remake de Silent Hill 2
3) Sombras de CA
4) Marine Espacial 2
5) Mito negro
6) Legos del horizonte
7) La Era del DragĂłn
8) Dogma del DragĂłn 2
9) Nueva versiĂłn de MGS3
10) Robot astronĂłmico

No es un mal final para lo que ha sido un año terrible para los juegos y los gráficos hasta ahora.

If I may ask, Dragon Age above Dragon's Dogma 2?

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think environment still far from finished and Insomniac is good at everything except lighting so if the the lighting looks this good in 2023 build i really have high hopes in final build also you need to watch other videos in that channel Insomniac really did good job at upgrading their engine
Edit:-some shots taken by me from leaked videos
G7QpyaN.jpeg
n5ng5Xg.jpeg
yLa3tb1.jpeg
LUbLPZV.jpeg
pNhrNDo.jpeg
ubSfvIA.jpeg
k5p9RqH.jpeg
8XN0LBh.jpeg
rXaVLiy.jpeg
gNHaRDA.jpeg
C6b6vt4.jpeg
Q5QOaFL.jpeg
QEgiDDP.jpeg
ekiK1fy.jpeg
iYaVgLU.jpeg
l0Q5NEA.jpeg
62IByA5.jpeg
9oAKvAF.jpeg

Nothing here screams next-gen to me, but the game is still a ways off so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Flabagast

I was watching some of the footage from the warhammer previews and everyone's talking about how beautiful the game looks, but man it looked washed out and underwhelming just like the star wars previews. But then I stumbled upon some 4k uploads by some PC youtubers and wow, the difference is massive. You can actually see all the textures and the distant buildings in the 4k feeds. The game is still lacking volumetric effects we saw in the trailers last year but it could just be a gameplay choice for more visibility or because the coop levels they were allowed to show off dont feature them.

Regardless, it made me go and search for some 4k star wars outlaws footage, but because the game was basically running at 1080p in those previews without rt effects, it still looked underwhelming. Until i clicked on a couple of nvidias youtube channel's videos that have exceptional image quality and the game looks phenomenal there. the level of detail in these videos is amazing. the E3 gameplay video is also up in really high quality there plus a dlss 3.5 trailer that showcases rt effects. both look stunning and almost on par with what we saw at e3 last year.

yalTP6I.gif

I bet it will look even better in HDR. Both Space Marine 2 and Star Wars Outlaws are going to impress. It will be very interesting to see which one comes out on top. The level of detail in Space Marine levels is nuts, but star wars interiors are also jam packed with detail.

Then there is Black Myth which is releasing next week. They just released a trailer and the opening few shots of the levels look better than anything ive seen. It sucks that the game is mostly 1v1 souls style combat so you dont really get to see those expansive vistas. I wish it was a Tomb Raider or Uncharted style game because i would love to explore that world instead of going from one fighting arena to the next.

Anyway, the year might have sucked so far but we are going to have some stunning games releasing in the next few months. I am excited for Silent Hill 2 as well. Thats another game that is being butchered by youtube compression. I think it might look even better than Black Myth.

Im gonna predict my top 10 and come back to this at the end of the year to see if playing these games on my PC/OLED tv would change my mind.

1) Star Wars Outlaws
2) Silent Hill 2 remake
3) AC Shadows
4) Space Marine 2
5) Black Myth
6) Horizon Legos
7) Dragon Age
8) Dragon's Dogma 2
9) MGS3 remake
10) Astro bot

Don't forget Kindgcom Come Deliverance 2 which should be a stunner as well

tLyglGC.gif

4vHi6Mw.gif

GEqF0YP.gif

KXVXII9X

yalTP6I.gif

1) Star Wars Outlaws
2) Silent Hill 2 remake
3) AC Shadows
4) Space Marine 2
5) Black Myth
6) Horizon Legos
7) Dragon Age
8) Dragon's Dogma 2
9) MGS3 remake
10) Astro bot

I've also noticed bad quality in the earlier preview footage and when I went to see the game actually being played by YouTubers, the quality looked MUCH better. This isn't the first time I have noticed this, especially with IGN's footage. I wonder how many games I have misjudged visually based on horrible video quality.

Luipadre

I've also noticed bad quality in the earlier preview footage and when I went to see the game actually being played by YouTubers, the quality looked MUCH better. This isn't the first time I have noticed this, especially with IGN's footage. I wonder how many games I have misjudged visually based on horrible video quality.

IGN footage always looks like dogshit. Their 4k videos are like 2k bitrate. Awful

KXVXII9X

Nothing here screams next-gen to me, but the game is still a ways off so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
It is hard to fully judge it since it is still in alpha (I believe), but I agree. I am wondering if developers should focus more on gameplay innovations instead because if I were just to care about the visuals, this would be kind of disappointing. Doesn't look much better than Uncharted 4. Hair and cloth physics need a big update for the next leap in these kinds of games. The environments also lack that "next gen" density. They look so basic in some areas. I am a sucker for these kinds of games though, especially when they are not open world.

SlimySnake

remember those GTA6 leaks lol They were literally working on the game's animations, cop shootouts, and store robbery mechanics using the PS3 GTA5 engine in those leaks. Some of the devkits were even on PS4. And this was in 2019. We now know what 4 years can do. it looks a generation ahead of RDR2 even.

Besides, The insomniac leaks showed that they were aiming for Hellblade 2 level of visual fidelity. The leak also showed a lot of Hellblade 2 features they have already implemented with some new features like motion matching that werent even in Hellblade 2.

omhl7omm9y9c1.png

So it's entirely possible the game looks far better than it does right now. The level design is fairly closed off like hellblade 2 which is disappointing to me, but it should help them reach a higher visual fidelity. Only concern is that 60 fps base framerate target but lets hope they targeting 1080p for it giving themselves as much GPU power as possible to render all these features.

eNT1TY

I'm crossing my fingers Dragon Age delivers visually, trailer was promising but mostly showed sweeping shots of the environments and those are easy to make look good.

SlimySnake

lol it looks like I already forgot about Hellblade 2 when making my potential top 10 even though graphics wise its 100% my goty. What a forgettable fucking game. Lets hope Star Wars and AC are fun to play or i'll probably forget about them come goty season.

DF released an interview this morning with the Hellblade 2 devs and they had a lot of really great insights. The very first gameplay demo released was actually running on UE4. UE5 implementation came afterwards but they were easily able to move to nanite and lumen. nanite foliage didnt come until later in dev but it also just worked. They had to stick to software lumen due to GPU bottlenecks on the xsx, but will look into making performance improvements. I wonder if we will get a hardware lumen patch on PC later on. The biggest thing is that nanite is memory hungry and was the main bottleneck on consoles. it will either make mark cerny a genius for his IO secret sauce or a doofus for not upgrading the vram that much in the PS5 Pro. however, thanks to nanite's smart LOD system, they werent able to notice any significant downgrades to mesh and object quality even after reducing them to 50% their original quality.

Darsxx82

lol it looks like I already forgot about Hellblade 2 when making my potential top 10 even though graphics wise its 100% my goty. What a forgettable fucking game. Lets hope Star Wars and AC are fun to play or i'll probably forget about them come goty season.

DF released an interview this morning with the Hellblade 2 devs and they had a lot of really great insights. The very first gameplay demo released was actually running on UE4. UE5 implementation came afterwards but they were easily able to move to nanite and lumen. nanite foliage didnt come until later in dev but it also just worked. They had to stick to software lumen due to GPU bottlenecks on the xsx, but will look into making performance improvements. I wonder if we will get a hardware lumen patch on PC later on. The biggest thing is that nanite is memory hungry and was the main bottleneck on consoles. it will either make mark cerny a genius for his IO secret sauce or a doofus for not upgrading the vram that much in the PS5 Pro. however, thanks to nanite's smart LOD system, they werent able to notice any significant downgrades to mesh and object quality even after reducing them to 50% their original quality.

Specifically, they say that, at the time they have developed the game, UE5 is still open to further optimization improvements and that surely more things can be done in the future.

I remember that the official GEARS E-DAY information highlights the use of RT hardware (already possible in the Matrix console demo). That indicates that they are not that far from being possible. In fact, in the UE 5.4 docs the most notable notes are in the console optimization improvements.

PS. Maybe I'm one of the few who believes that the most graphically and technologically impressive game in 2024 is going to be MFSimulator 2024?🤔

First off this is my thread and I understand the technical aspect etc. I’m not dumb. The Snowdrop engine was touted to bring nanite like polycounts to games. After the Initial Star Wars Outlaw reveal, I believed the footage a little and gave Ubisoft a chance, but they let me down, the original trailer looked CGI like…

*Marvel 1943 looks awesome and we already have Hellblade 2…
Jesus... calm down. You sound like a child "this is MY thread!!" lol...

SlimySnake

Specifically, they say that, at the time they have developed the game, UE5 is still open to further optimization improvements and that surely more things can be done in the future.

I remember that the official GEARS E-DAY information highlights the use of RT hardware (already possible in the Matrix console demo). That indicates that they are not that far from being possible. In fact, in the UE 5.4 docs the most notable notes are in the console optimization improvements.

PS. Maybe I'm one of the few who believes that the most graphically and technologically impressive game in 2024 is going to be MFSimulator 2024?🤔
Flight sim looks stunning but its a very different kind of game.

Some screenshots from wolverine m13 early alpha build , and it looks better than sm2 and most of crossgen title's and i really think by the time of it's release alongside ps5 pro power it will be one of best looking games this gen
1Tym04U.jpeg
Kx10P8V.jpeg
lZQSAxM.jpeg
ARpm5ao.jpeg
OROrxw4.jpeg
JHen4ZX.jpeg
IvH83w1.jpeg
lZgumd5.jpeg
kbyuUIL.jpeg
VU6cBqy.jpeg
L4rzygf.jpeg
c7IiOYD.jpeg
3XP3xpU.jpeg
desvd0W.jpeg
grjQRwM.jpeg
DxuvyG9.jpeg
vzcgUNs.jpeg
o9H4cTn.jpeg
ek9AV8g.jpeg
L17J23M.jpeg
D4J5InU.jpeg
IhklTLi.jpeg
LryTEBs.jpeg
5tmcucN.jpeg
f6fItJm.jpeg
8Xw00Id.jpeg
hbmm2EB.jpeg
1v83OEU.jpeg
It’s actually fucking insane, and I mean totally bananas how much gameplay you can find on YouTube. Truly one of the biggest gaming leaks of all time

Casuals would think the game is already out just going off of all the gameplay that’s currently out there.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What a garbage year its been. Ive barely played anything, just not my kind of games releasing.

Next year to the end of the gen should be fucking insane though. Sony will have a heavy hitter or 2 every year from 2025 to the end of the gen.

SlimySnake

It’s actually fucking insane, and I mean totally bananas how much gameplay you can find on YouTube. Truly one of the biggest gaming leaks of all time

Casuals would think the game is already out just going off of all the gameplay that’s currently out there.
the whole game was leaked. spiderman 2 as well. hackers have already put out a playable build of spiderman 2.

my favorite thing to come out of the leaks was the ps game sales. we now have definitive numbers on virtually every single ps4 and ps5 era first party title that they tried to hide for various reasons. And the leak has forced their hand into revealing the numbers in the latest quarterly fiscal reports. apparently helldivers 2 is at 12 million, gow ragnorak at 15 while horizon is at 10, but thats mostly because they idiotically put it up on the ps+ subscription and that dried up the sales which is another thing we found out from the insomniac leak. Best leak ever AFAIAC.
Less and less different. In many games you mention there is less interaction and complexity than there will be in MFS2024. Opinions i supuse but (in my opinion),about graphics and technology, I think we can assess the merits of any type of game and genre.

wow. thats very interesting. one of the biggest knocks against MS Flight Sim was the ground level detail. if they are letting you walk around then they must have done a lot of work on the ground rendering. it seems they are also adding a lot of new missions and gameyfying the game so it might just feel like a real game instead of a sim game.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Didn't think MS flight sim 2024 would let you walk around, I need to see that happen. Close to ground it looked... very so-so, the in 2020 version.

Are Asobo programming / graphic gods?

In other vfx news, I found Star Citizen's fire tech very impressive today. It propagates around the ship depending on oxygen levels and materials. They made a few cut corners for metal as they want the gameplay to happen and not just have a hot "plate", the logic is that of course, like a plane, there's so much stuffs behind a plate anyway that could go wrong and catch fire.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What a garbage year its been. Ive barely played anything, just not my kind of games releasing.

Next year to the end of the gen should be fucking insane though. Sony will have a heavy hitter or 2 every year from 2025 to the end of the gen.
this year was so bad that i played nothing but a last gen looking baseball game for the last 2-3 months. ff7 sucked ass. dragons dogma was visually pleasing but overall disappointing. hellblade 2 looked insane but it wasnt even a game. rise of ronin looks like dogshit. stellar blade looked like a souped up ps3 game. suicide squad is repetitive gaas trash and i like gaas trash like anthem, mgs survive and destiny 1, but this was just too much even for me. worst year in a decade.

but it has the chance to redeem itself. the final few months are jam packed with stunning looking titles and some of them might actually be good games unlike ff7, dragon dogma and hellblade 2. astro bot alone will save this year from mediocrity.

last year was amazing from start to finish. if the start of the year disappointed with visuals, the gameplay was actually fun. i really liked re4 and harry potter. if the games were disappointing like avatar, alan wake, ff16 and starfield, the graphics were gorgeous. zelda totk was legit amazing and star wars delivered on both graphics and gameplay. what a great year.

if sony doesnt have a blowout by september for the ps5 pro reveal, id curb my expectations. looking at the bungie fiasco and skipping e3, they are in complete free fall at the moment and i dont see anything righting the ship if they show up at the ps5 pro reveal without ghosts 2, nd's new ip, bluepoint's new ip and ssm's new ip.

Lethal01

AAA-wise, This year has been Kinda dry, but it did have FF7 which is easily an all time great.
outside of the AAA games though it's been fantastic, Unicord Overlord is top tier.

The launch of the switch 2 next year will give it a decent chance of being a 10/10 year though.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Have to agree with the disappointment of this year. Absolutely awful year for games. Stellar Blade is the only game I fucked with. I didn’t really like anything that much last year either, except RE4, which is 20 years old.

I’ve been replaying Ghost of Tsushima and was reminded that it came out in the same summer as TLOU II. Would be nice if Sony could get back to that level again. Been nothing but disappointment from them recently. They’ve done fuck all in terms of innovation this gen.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

wow. thats very interesting. one of the biggest knocks against MS Flight Sim was the ground level detail. if they are letting you walk around then they must have done a lot of work on the ground rendering. it seems they are also adding a lot of new missions and gameyfying the game so it might just feel like a real game instead of a sim game.

The MSF 2024 trailers are full of moments where you are on the ground in different places (airports, forests, rural areas, jungle, mountains... and the level of detail is great.
It is clear that they do not emphasize it with such insistence showing those moments if it weren't for something. Coincidentally there are no moments in which you walk through cities and that is where the limit is clear (the amount of assets to collect is impossible. Maybe with AI in the future it will be achieved).

In general, it was something that was already known to be new in 2024, but the Studio's statements today imply that it could be done anywhere and not limited to specific areas. We will see.

Then, the wonderful thing about MFS 2024 is that it has stopped being a game of piloting planes in the air around the world. Now it is much much more, there is a lot of variety and also situations at ground level.
Personally, I am amazed by the complexity and number of technological and graphic variants it handles. ASOBO is a top Studio.

SlimySnake

The MSF 2024 trailers are full of moments where you are on the ground in different places (airports, forests, rural areas, jungle, mountains... and the level of detail is great.
It is clear that they do not emphasize it with such insistence showing those moments if it weren't for something. Coincidentally there are no moments in which you walk through cities and that is where the limit is clear (the amount of assets to collect is impossible. Maybe with AI in the future it will be achieved).

In general, it was something that was already known to be new in 2024, but the Studio's statements today imply that it could be done anywhere and not limited to specific areas. We will see.

Then, the wonderful thing about MFS 2024 is that it has stopped being a game of piloting planes in the air around the world. Now it is much much more, there is a lot of variety and also situations at ground level.
Personally, I am amazed by the complexity and number of technological and graphic variants it handles. ASOBO is a top Studio.

Lets hope its more arcadey and approachable and i might give it a shot. looks incredible. the water rendering in the ocean is legit photorealistic.

Confused as to how this game accomplishes this - it seems far beyond what other companies are putting out on a technical level.

But you can’t walk through cities at all I assume?

Darsxx82

Confused as to how this game accomplishes this - it seems far beyond what other companies are putting out on a technical level.

But you can’t walk through cities at all I assume?
I think not, walking through the cities would require an inconceivable amount of assets. Especially if you want fidelity

The situation is different in rural areas, forests, mountains or even the airports and oil plants where self-generated assets can do the trick and "fulfill" their purpose.

Regarding cities, I think that the advances and improvements will focus on increasing the level of detail in the sky view compared to MFS2020, perhaps creating certain roofs of skyscrapers with helipads. From the comparisons of ASOBO Studios itself that I have seen, the jump is going to be very big.

mrqs

Mickey Mouse castle?

I completed Nobody Wants to Die few days ago, loved it!

It's on UE5 and has great art, I'm not sure about Nanite but Lumen is present. Weakest point are SSR reflections (and typical lumen artifacts).

Love the look! Games like this rely super strongly on a great narrative. Is it too long?

UE5 games are looking super impressive this year.

Top Bottom