• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why? you can get over 60fps on your 3080 at 4k DLSS Balanced at high settings with textures at cinematic
I tried that for an hour. Looked good but not great. Set everything to cinematic and 4k dlss quality at 30 fps and it looks very close to the path traced version. Simply stunning.

JimRyanGOAT

Not making an early 2000's Mafia game to capitalize on the massive uptick in Sopranos popularity is really surprising

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Not making an early 2000's Mafia game to capitalize on the massive uptick in Sopranos popularity is really surprising

these games take 4-5 years to make. chasing fads and tiktok/youtube trends that are forgotten in a week is never a good idea. thats how we got concord.

JimRyanGOAT

these games take 4-5 years to make. chasing fads and tiktok/youtube trends that are forgotten in a week is never a good idea. thats how we got concord.
True regarding Concord and fads

But an early 2000's Mafia game would be amazing imo

Its not just Sopranos which is a cultural hit, its the culture, nostalgia, and timing that all align

M1987

I tried that for an hour. Looked good but not great. Set everything to cinematic and 4k dlss quality at 30 fps and it looks very close to the path traced version. Simply stunning.
It's obviously not as good looking as the cinematic settings,but I still think it looks great, and quite easily top 5 of the gen even on high settings

Is this real 😳

tenor.gif

elbourreau

Black Myth Wukong (4587*1920 DLDSR, DLSS, Path Tracing, Special K HDR, Reshade)

1724396906856-jpeg.1467562

1724396976359-jpeg.1467564

1724396999515-jpeg.1467566

1724396924316-jpeg.1467563

1724397111487-jpeg.1467568

Chapter 2 looks a bit like the UE5 Demo, but otherwise Im very impressed with the graphics.
WTFF with those crushed black levels ? IS it the HDR > SDR that breaks everything or do you play with those ?

RavionUHD

WTFF with those crushed black levels ? IS it the HDR > SDR that breaks everything or do you play with those ?
Im using Special K which as far as I know emulates SDR to HDR, but tbh it looks weird on screenshots, but ok ingame.
Are you looking at the screens with a HDR screen?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Well in that case expect a broken mess to release

I mean we don't even know how many years black myth wukong was into development before they first showed it. So I would start holding em up as a beacon of timely development. This game could already be over 7 years of total development.
My point is that, broadly speaking, the capacity for work of chinese people is tremendously superior than that of westerners. So if it takes a year for a westerner to do something, a chinese will do it in 6 month, especially since the CCP doesn't care about silly stuff like labour legislation...

So even if chinese devs lack in experience, they make up for it in workload (which gives experience in addition).

SlimySnake

Black Myth is blowing me away. It is by far the most consistent and beautiful game i've played this gen. sorry Avatar. Sorry Hellblade. Sorry Callisto. We have a new king in town.

NXc3R8z.gif

BKz8XGH.gif

This game just does everything right. It nails the photorealistic art style. It has some of the most detailed assets ive ever seen. I have never been turned on by wooden planks before. It does all the other visual effects justice. Smoke? Physics based. Water? Physics based. Fire? Best fucking fire ive ever seen. Period. Trees? Most realistically shaded trees ive ever seen. And to top it off it has that cinematography that made Callisto and Hellblade 2 feel like a movie at times.

I wish i could post my forest gifs because the trees look so beautiful but gifcam is adding all these shimmering jaggies and its ruining the IQ which is pristine on my screen. Even gifs cant capture just how beautiful this game really is.

Black Myth is blowing me away. It is by far the most consistent and beautiful game i've played this gen. sorry Avatar. Sorry Hellblade. Sorry Callisto. We have a new king in town.

NXc3R8z.gif

BKz8XGH.gif

This game just does everything right. It nails the photorealistic art style. It has some of the most detailed assets ive ever seen. I have never been turned on by wooden planks before. It does all the other visual effects justice. Smoke? Physics based. Water? Physics based. Fire? Best fucking fire ive ever seen. Period. Trees? Most realistically shaded trees ive ever seen. And to top it off it has that cinematography that made Callisto and Hellblade 2 feel like a movie at times.

I wish i could post my forest gifs because the trees look so beautiful but gifcam is adding all these shimmering jaggies and it’s ruining the IQ which is pristine on my screen. Even gifs cant capture just how beautiful this game really is.
Do we know if this holds true for the PS5 version?

NXc3R8z.gif

BKz8XGH.gif

I wish i could post my forest gifs because the trees look so beautiful but gifcam is adding all these shimmering jaggies and its ruining the IQ which is pristine on my screen. Even gifs cant capture just how beautiful this game really is.
The state of next gen when our Killzone shadow fall moment comes halfway through the goddamn entire generation from some no name, rinky dink, obscure, low budget Chinese developers

GooseMan69

NXc3R8z.gif

BKz8XGH.gif

Agree wholeheartedly. And I’m playing the somewhat gimped console version. It kicks the shit out of everything I’ve played up to now.

Fantastic game all around.

SlimySnake

Just got to the second area and wow. This straight up looks like the PS5 demo. Very similar lighting design and asset quality.

For some bizarre reason, some meshes just have no textures. straight up FF7 Rebirth quality. i thought UE5 was supposed to fix this? But then 99% of the level looks stunning like this.

SwSIDsH.gif

Agree wholeheartedly. And I’m playing the somewhat gimped console version. It kicks the shit out of everything I’ve played up to now.

Fantastic game all around.
I watched the latest DF video where they compare the PC settings to the PS5 version, and its mostly high settings. The biggest thing you are losing out on are trees that move and some extra physics on the smoke and wind simulations. The game also sits at 1440p internal resolution so you are getting a pretty decent 4k output. FSR is only bad when you go down to 1080p.

They just need to lock that 30 fps mode. I suspect they are leaving it unlocked for the PS5 Pro which should run the same mode at 60 fps when it comes out.

SlimySnake

As impressive as wukong looks, it still has shadow cascade (on ps5 at least). I see this shit in every game, that's quite annoying.
yeah, i noticed that on PC too, so i just set it to cinematic settings which kills the framerate, but i figured id rather play at 30 fps with no shadows being drawn in than 40 or 60 fps with shadows popping in like textures pre-nanite. the game doesnt support virtual shadow maps even on PC. Looks like nvidia signed a deal with them to add rt shadows and they never bothered implementing virtual shadow maps even on PC. There is apparently a mod for it, but cinematic setting seems to be holding up fine in the first two chapters.

Chapter 3 is even worse. I said it before, but the games graphics is really inconsistent
That sucks to hear because chapter 1 was so damn consistent. However, im not too upset about some low quality meshes. it happens. im sure its a bug with nanite. the lighting in that level is gorgeous and easily the best desert level lighting ive seen since uncharted 3 all those years ago. so many games just fail to get the bounce lighting right in desert levels.

Last edited:

RavionUHD

1724545113827-jpeg.1467815

1724545131834-jpeg.1467816

1724545153993-jpeg.1467817

1724545215580-jpeg.1467818

1724545246123-jpeg.1467819

Looks really great, Nanite is clearly visible, and Path Tracing ensures almost perfect lightning.

Just got to the second area and wow. This straight up looks like the PS5 demo. Very similar lighting design and asset quality.

For some bizarre reason, some meshes just have no textures. straight up FF7 Rebirth quality. i thought UE5 was supposed to fix this? But then 99% of the level looks stunning like this.

SwSIDsH.gif

I watched the latest DF video where they compare the PC settings to the PS5 version, and its mostly high settings. The biggest thing you are losing out on are trees that move and some extra physics on the smoke and wind simulations. The game also sits at 1440p internal resolution so you are getting a pretty decent 4k output. FSR is only bad when you go down to 1080p.

They just need to lock that 30 fps mode. I suspect they are leaving it unlocked for the PS5 Pro which should run the same mode at 60 fps when it comes out.

Why doesn't Black Myth have HDR? This hurts not having that. UE5 typically always comes with HDR ...strange ...could it arrive in a future patch?

Jesb

1724545113827-jpeg.1467815

1724545131834-jpeg.1467816

1724545153993-jpeg.1467817

1724545215580-jpeg.1467818

1724545246123-jpeg.1467819

Looks really great, Nanite is clearly visible, and Path Tracing ensures almost perfect lightning.

what is it about snowy cave type of environments that just oozes atmosphere for me. Damn this game looks great.

SlimySnake

Here ya go.

Thanks. Shadows are much better than cinematic settings im using. No more flickering in the benchmark under foliage. However, during gameplay there are constant hitches even when im at a locked 30 fps, and in the forest area the performance is dropping below 30 fps.

going to stick with cinematic for now.

Msamy

Ue 5 titles starts to look far better than most current gen titles, hope sony big studios can close the gap in their upcoming games

That looks great to watch.
That looks boring to play.

Everything is too clean.
Janky animations.
Same brain dead AI.
Shoot. Peek. Shoot some more. Fucking hell

I legit want to go into a gun battle where I'm already soiling myself before even firing the first round. AI should be smart as fuck but also realize when they're getting bested.

Graphics isn't the problem. I'd be fucking happy if we got GTAV level graphics but with a monumental jump forward in AI and game world interactivity/simulation.

Last edited:

RavionUHD

Black Myth Wukong (4587*1920 DLDSR Ultrawide, DLSS, Path Tracing, Special K HDR, Reshade)

7ZnygiX.jpeg

5mkv173.jpeg

JlIkjjk.jpeg

C0GiuNu.jpeg

3RDvqN2.jpeg

yhk7Fmv.jpeg

wB9xP9u.jpeg

Nanite does sucha great job, the amount of detail on the ground is insane, and Path Tracing adds almost perfect lightning to it.

Last edited:

peish

Nanite is the breakthrough. I still remember gpu and consoles advertising they can do xyz millions of polygons per second

Nanite is like magic, suddenly all the polygons just materialise from the very same gpu

SlimySnake

Epic games not neglect searching and updating graphics tech unlike most of sony studios up until now

Masterpiece
The funny thing is that the foliage in Black Myth doesnt utilize nanite. It's just a mixture of high quality assets, fantastic lighting, draw distance and art design.

this is basically what you get when you arent wasting all 10 tflops on rendering native 4k pixels or 60 fps. You can actually use the gpu to push great looking visuals.

cnBWBp9.gif

Insomniac didnt need to invest in nanite. Just drop the goddamn resolution to 1440p and use the fucking gpu. both of their next gen games target native 4k, just like tlou part 1. its so fucking stupid. imagine having a 10 inch cock and only using 5 inches of it.

MrRibeye

During the pre-production phases of Sony projects I worked on, we put 4K60 as the target goal before we even knew what the gameplay or story was. Without any further thought, it nonchalantly became the target for the earliest prototypes, with the mentality being that we start at 4K60 and never drop below during development and if we do, we stop until we're back at 4K60.

Somehow the feeling was that releasing a game below 4K60 in the year 2024 is "inadequate" and that players would complain.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
* Sees Black Myth posts*
Black Myth does NOT look that good on my PS5 lol.

Like it looks good, but theres one of the larger descrepencies of concole vs PC i have seen in a while

PC Version looking mighty in those Slimy gifs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom