• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Black Myth Wukong (4587*1920 DLDSR Ultrawide, DLSS, Path Tracing, Special K HDR, Reshade)

7ZnygiX.jpeg

5mkv173.jpeg

JlIkjjk.jpeg

C0GiuNu.jpeg

3RDvqN2.jpeg

yhk7Fmv.jpeg

wB9xP9u.jpeg

Nanite does sucha great job, the amount of detail on the ground is insane, and Path Tracing adds almost perfect lightning to it.

Reshade is hurting it as usual ..

It's not that 30fps is unplayable, it just looks shit. People say you get used to it, which obviously you do. But then you also get used to lower graphics settings/resolution etc. So I don't know why that's supposed to be a killer argument. I don't understand why anyone would want to stay at 30fps. It's objectively shit (ie not closely aligned with our brain's own updating). It's been long enough, surely (nearly 4 decades!!). Stop kicking the can down the road ffs. Take this one hit for a generation, then we can continue for all subsequent generations at 60fps with each one offering a big leap and with no fundamental compromise between graphics in stills and graphics in motion.

While i agree we need to stay at 60 fps, it's not like you can "take the hit" in one generation and the next one you will have arrived at some new utopia for 60 fps graphics. We'll still arrive at a place where 60 fps feels inadequate compared to the latest games on the PC because all those respources are being eaten up. We'll always be in this predicament with how fast tech progresses and the ever increasing requirements of games.

Hunnybun

While i agree we need to stay at 60 fps, it's not like you can "take the hit" in one generation and the next one you will have arrived at some new utopia for 60 fps graphics. We'll still arrive at a place where 60 fps feels inadequate compared to the latest games on the PC because all those respources are being eaten up. We'll always be in this predicament with how fast tech progresses and the ever increasing requirements of games.

Don't think that's sound. PC games are built around the default console experience and basically offer a few improvements. How next gen a game looks is measured by the distance from the previous console generation. I think if we just stayed at 60fps for ONE generation then you could have as many subsequent generations as you wanted all at 60 but all with as an impressive a leap as the old 30 to 30 ones. Of course the TEMPTATION to go BACK to 30 might always be there in order to produce an even more impressive leap, but hopefully enough people would've got used to 60 by then that it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

H . R . 2

Don't think that's sound. PC games are built around the default console experience and basically offer a few improvements. How next gen a game looks is measured by the distance from the previous console generation. I think if we just stayed at 60fps for ONE generation then you could have as many subsequent generations as you wanted all at 60 but all with as an impressive a leap as the old 30 to 30 ones. Of course the TEMPTATION to go BACK to 30 might always be there in order to produce an even more impressive leap, but hopefully enough people would've got used to 60 by then that it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
that's true , partly

however there are devs such as our late RAD or Ninja Theory that prefer the cinematic experience.
Targeting 30fps early on allows them to not only efficienty allocate resources to achieve photorealistic visuals and animations
but also avoid that "soap opera" look and feel that 60fps creates in some games.

In my opinion there will always be room for [stable] 30fps experiences that aspire to be movie-like
Hollywood made some attempts to make 48, 60 and even 120 fps movies a norm in cinemas but ultimately failed
as the audience were used to that cinematic 24fps experience.

nevertheless, one could still argue that since games are far more interactive than movies,
the output latency [in the case of unstable 30fps implementations] could be as disorienting as higher fps in movies.
but that, in my opinion, is an overstatement that might be true of VR games, but not about non-VR games such as RDR2,
where latency was mostly due to the animation system rather than opting for 30fps.
at worst , such games are just sluggish, not headache-inducing or deal-breakers.

30fps is still my preference for the majority of single player experiences that target
photorealistic visuals and aim to push the boundaries of what is possible on a console

On a side note:
OUCH!!
2/5 ?

really hope the already downgraded visuals are not further downgraded
everything that Ubisoft touches seems to turn into excrement
otherwise, Massive is incredibly talented, at least the Massive I remember from The Division, they are just being mismanaged

Last edited:

Msamy

* Sees Black Myth posts*
Black Myth does NOT look that good on my PS5 lol.

Like it looks good, but theres one of the larger descrepencies of concole PC i have seen in a while

PC Version looking mighty in those mighty Slimy gifs.
I am pretty sure that if 1 big developers focus in bring great graphics in current gen consoles they can easily do it but the saddest fact that many games in current gen machines looks worse than some games in my phone which have 2 tf gpu

Hunnybun

that's true , partly

however there are devs such as our late RAD or Ninja Theory that prefer the cinematic experience.
Targeting 30fps early on allows them to not only efficienty allocate resources to achieve photorealistic visuals and animations
but also avoid that "soap opera" look and feel that 60fps creates in some games.

In my opinion there will always be room for [stable] 30fps experiences that aspire to be movie-like
Hollywood made some attempts to make 48, 60 and even 120 fps movies a norm in cinemas but ultimately failed
as the audience were used to that cinematic 24fps experience.

nevertheless, one could still argue that since games are far more interactive than movies,
the output latency [in the case of unstable 30fps implementations] could be as disorienting as higher fps in movies.
but that, in my opinion, is an overstatement that might be true of VR games, but not about non-VR games such as RDR2,
where latency was mostly due to the animation system rather than opting for 30fps.
at worst , such games are just sluggish, not headache-inducing or deal-breakers.

30fps is still my preference for the majority of single player experiences that target
photorealistic visuals and aim to push the boundaries of what is possible on a console

On a side note:
OUCH!!
2/5 ?

really hope the already downgraded visuals are not further downgraded
everything that Ubisoft touches seems to turn into excrement
otherwise, Massive is incredibly talented, at least the Massive I remember from The Division, they are just being mismanaged

If you want 30fps you should buy a PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
* Sees Black Myth posts*

Like it looks good, but theres one of the larger descrepencies of concole vs PC i have seen in a while

PC Version looking mighty in those Slimy gifs.
are you playing the 30 fps mode?

remember, i am playing in 30 fps on PC lol

During the pre-production phases of Sony projects I worked on, we put 4K60 as the target goal before we even knew what the gameplay or story was. Without any further thought, it nonchalantly became the target for the earliest prototypes, with the mentality being that we start at 4K60 and never drop below during development and if we do, we stop until we're back at 4K60.

Somehow the feeling was that releasing a game below 4K60 in the year 2024 is "inadequate" and that players would complain.
well, this explains a lot lol

though i have to say there are no 4k 60 fps games on playstation other than GT7 so they failed miserably at that too.
Honestly, ive never liked a massive game. they are just a B tier dev at best with an A tier tech team.

im hoping i enjoy star wars. 78 metacritic is way better than avatar's so there is hope, but their games just havent clicked with me and i like most Ubisoft games.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
are you playing the 30 fps mode?

remember, i am playing in 30 fps on PC lol
do you even have to ask me that? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

30fps mode all day, i switched to performance for a few fights then switched back immediately to quality mode.

game is awesome. cannot wait to ee what more chinese devs do next gen.

and I think Game Science will be the next FromSoft

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
do you even have to ask me that? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

30fps mode all day, i switched to performance for a few fights then switched back immediately to quality mode.

game is awesome. cannot wait to ee what more chinese devs do next gen.

and I think Game Science will be the next FromSoft
But you fucking hate fromsoft :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let game science being game science, i don't want wukong 2 to look like a ps4 launch title with a "story" that i need to check on vatyvidia channel...

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The star wars outlaws footage from IGN looks horrendous on PS5 or their capture is shit. If it looks even remotely good as Alex from DF is hyping up, they the downgrades are massive on consoles.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Nah. Turning on rt causes all kinds of frametime spikes even at a locked 30 fps and 720p internal resolution.

I just set all settings to all cinematic and upped the resolution to 4k dlss quality.

Oh, I used the DF's optimized settings since honestly, high with very few select very high settings barely make a visual difference from cinematic, but boosts performances immensely. I get 60~75 fps on 3080 Ti at ultrawide 1440p. The only setting I didn't pick from DF is the visual fidelity one with the volumetric cloud and sadly, the leaves moving in the wind is tied to it, so I put to very high.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
But you fucking hate fromsoft :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let game science being game science, i don't want wukong 2 to look like a ps4 launch title with a "story" that i need to check on vatyvidia channel...
Yes I fucking hate from lol.

I meant more In terms of being a massive Asian studio that makes successful SP games

GymWolf

Gold Member
Y
Nah. Turning on rt causes all kinds of frametime spikes even at a locked 30 fps and 720p internal resolution.

I just set all settings to all cinematic and upped the resolution to 4k dlss quality.
Yeah, rtx on cause the game to play worse even if the framerate remain kinda high.

SlimySnake

Oh, I used the DF's optimized settings since honestly, high with very few select very high settings barely make a visual difference from cinematic, but boosts performances immensely. I get 60~75 fps on 3080 Ti at ultrawide 1440p. The only setting I didn't pick from DF is the visual fidelity one with the volumetric cloud and sadly, the leaves moving in the wind is tied to it, so I put to very high.

I tried that. Even tried the hub quality settings which are even higher than what Alex recommended, but honestly i saw a pretty big difference visually speaking. These guys don’t look at the overall picture and just pick settings based on a few levels.

Last edited:

JCreasy

* Sees Black Myth posts*

Like it looks good, but theres one of the larger descrepencies of concole vs PC i have seen in a while

PC Version looking mighty in those Slimy gifs.

Should I just wait until PS5 Pro?

teokrazia

It has its flaws and inconsistencies, but Wukong has so much muscles and attention to details that is a violent slap in the face of alot AAA developers.

Is not among the most spectacular boss fights I've done so far, but it does alot of things right.
Starting from the scene: after so many hours of sunny rock locations of Chapter Two, these guys found a different way to render that kind of environment, tweaking light and materials with great taste:

H . R . 2

in other kind of off-topic news:

As per Grubb, Sony has another State of Play presentation – not a PlayStation Showcase – planned for September,
and though he says he’s unsure if that’s where the PS5 Pro will be announced, it wouldn’t be surprising in the slightest if it were.

I hope to God it's not true and we'll actually get a Showcase. We have been waiting so long for that 1st party nextgen goodness and yet nothing
what reason is there to buy a PS5 pro, besides perhaps GTA VI?

Last edited:
in other kind of off-topic news:

As per Grubb, Sony has another State of Play presentation – not a PlayStation Showcase – planned for September,
and though he says he’s unsure if that’s where the PS5 Pro will be announced, it wouldn’t be surprising in the slightest if it were.

I hope to God it's not true and we'll actually get a Showcase. We have been waiting so long for that 1st party nextgen goodness and yet nothing
what reason is there to buy a PS5 pro, besides perhaps GTA VI?
Why would GTA6 be a reason? A CPU limited game like that will run at the same frame rate on both PS5 model's. You'll get a higher resolution and better effects I suppose.

H . R . 2

Why would GTA6 be a reason? A CPU limited game like that will run at the same frame rate on both PS5 model's. You'll get a higher resolution and better effects I suppose.
for me, that's exactly the reason. Rockstar games always look great, even RDR2 looked glorious on my base PS4.
I am getting the Pro because I haven't upgraded my PC in a while and GTA VI is not getting released on PC, not until the second or the third year, that is.
that leaves us with either the base PS5 or the Pro.
now to pull off those expensive RT effects and to achieve [bear with me] either 4K OR a solid uncompromised 60fps experience,
the Pro is definitely needed, and I am sure that Sony knows [especially after their GaaS fiasco] the value of GTA VI on PS5 Pro as a system seller
so you bet they are going to go to great lengths to make the Pro, THE best way to play GTA VI until the inevitable PC release.

you are absolutely right about the CPU and its concomitant gameplay parities. BUT,
based on the recent PRO leaks, GTAVI on PS5 Pro can [theoretically and potentially] do a lot more, visually, than just 'better effects'
[of course, take the following with the usual grain of salt]

Rendering 45% faster than PS5
2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
33.5 Teraflops
PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
Custom machine learning architecture

AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point

Audio
The ACV in the PlayStation 5 Pro runs at a higher clock speed over the standard PlayStation 5, resulting in the ACM library having 35% more performance.

More convolution reverbs can be processed

More FFT or IFFT can be processed

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It has its flaws and inconsistencies, but Wukong has so much muscles and attention to details that is a violent slap in the face of alot AAA developers.

Is not among the most spectacular boss fights I've done so far, but it does alot of things right.
Starting from the scene: after so many hours of sunny rock locations of Chapter Two, these guys found a different way to render that kind of environment, tweaking light and materials with great taste:

There are three tiger bosses in this level but this tiger guy looked different. Perhaps because you get to see him just stand around unlike others who immediately attack you but man i don’t think I’ve ever seen a more detailed Lion character. The fur is so thick it makes ratchet look like bald ratchet.

L7LcoH8.gif

Sju7Bfj.gif

[of course, take the following with the usual grain of salt]
just an FYI. those leaks from MILD were independently confirmed as real by Tom Henderson and Digital Foundry's sources.

That said, I wouldnt expect a 60 fps PS5 pro port but i do agree that a 60 fps mode exclusive to the ps5 pro would make it a system seller.

I think Sony will have its own games to showcase for the Pro that will look mindblowing in their own right.

This game is unbelievable. It's insane that they managed to ship this while presumably transitioning from UE4 in 2021, the version they transitioned to is none other than the original 5.0 build as well. The "Valley of the Ancients" tech demo claimed to run on PS5 was made with it, the promise coming to life at last.

I'm new here just in case, my favorite thread in Gaf by the way.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
One thing i would improve in the sequel are human models\faces.
I know they are kinda stylizes but the result is not exactly top notch compared to the realistic tone of the locations.

With how detailed the creatures are, i expected metahuman\horizon level of face details.

Women do look better than men tho, it's usually the opposite.

Last edited:
One thing i would improve in the sequel are human models\faces.
I know they are kinda stylizes but the result is not exactly top notch compared to the realistic tone of the locations.

With how detailed the creatures are, i expected metahuman\horizon level of face details.

Women do look better than men tho, it's usually the opposite.
It will happen, no doubt. This game was being made before Metahumans was a thing in its current form.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It will happen, no doubt. This game was being made before Metahumans was a thing in its current form.
Just for the sake of the games that still have to release before this gen end, i hope that some teams are gonna be able to do metahuman faces without using metahuman.

If to get good faces devs are forced to use metahumans we are fucked because at least 50% of big teams doesn't use that engine.

Like if tlou3 doesn't get on par with metahumans i'm gonna be severely disappointed, i think they can because tlou2 and cheap remake have some incredible faces during cutscenes.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of the games that still have to release before this gen end, i hope that some teams are gonna be able to do metahuman faces without using metahuman.

If to get good faces devs are forced to use metahumans we are fucked because at least 50% of big teams doesn't use that engine.

Like if tlou3 doesn't get on par with metahumans i'm gonna be severely disappointed, i think they can because tlou2 and cheap remake have some incredible faces during cutscenes.
I'm not sure what happened to in-house engines this generation, but Unreal being so far ahead in terms of feature set has never happened before from what I recall. UE4 used to get close to the best of say, Sony first party but never really got there per see. Despite performance UE5+Nanite has delivered a tangible generational leap in every game it has starred on, meanwhile I'm here perplexed why SW Outlaws already looks like such an stepdown from Avatar... The lightning with RTXDI looks nice but the assets are just trash, I sincerely hope next gen Decima starting from DS2 will turn the tide because nothing makes sense anymore otherwise.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not sure what happened to in-house engines this generation, but Unreal being so far ahead in terms of feature set has never happened before from what I recall. UE4 used to get close to the best of say, Sony first party but never really got there per see. Despite performance UE5+Nanite has delivered a tangible generational leap in every game it has starred on, meanwhile I'm here perplexed why SW Outlaws already looks like such an stepdown from Avatar... The lightning with RTXDI looks nice but the assets are just trash, I sincerely hope next gen Decima starting from DS2 will turn the tide because nothing makes sense anymore otherwise.
No lies detected unfortunately.

But to be completely fair, sony teams and the best M teams still have to show their big projects, so there is still hope.

No lies detected unfortunately.

But to be completely fair, sony teams and the best M teams still have to show their big projects, so there is still hope.
I'll never lose hope on the S tier teams until I see their games, but efforts like Black Myth are raising the bar real high.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'll never lose hope on the S tier teams until I see their games, but efforts like Black Myth are raising the bar real high.
It's gonna be hard to reach wukong quality in open world games with much more going on on screen at any given moment.

Wukong locations are somehow pretty barren, there is not much going on in terms of numbers of ncps or enemies on screen at the same time so they can save th render budget for everything else.

I don't think neither fable or tsushy2 are gonna have the granular detail of wukong or hb2 (that is even noticeably better than wukong).

Corey, blue point and nd are probably not making open worlds so they are the last hope.

I expect gta6 to also look worse but to counter with great world simulation, physics, animations and amount of microdetails.

Last edited:

amigastar

With raytracing PC actually has some huge advantage over consoles.
It wasn't always that obvious of an advantage back in the day where you only had higher texture res at best.

i_mean

Banned

Metahumans...specifically the metahuman face rig isn't doing anything special..it's just a set of FACS...what makes metahuman good is that it's easy to setup and get going without the work it takes to get to that level of fidelity.

It's gonna be hard to reach wukong quality in open world games with much more going on on screen at any given moment.

Wukong locations are somehow pretty barren, there is not much going on in terms of numbers of ncps or enemies on screen at the same time so they can save th render budget for everything else.

I don't think neither fable or tsushy2 are gonna have the granular detail of wukong or hb2 (that is even noticeably better than wukong).

Corey, blue point and nd are probably not making open worlds so they are the last hope.

I expect gta6 to also look worse but to counter with great world simulation, physics, animations and amount of microdetails.
I wonder why mesh shaders didn't solve this when it was the whole point of them. Achieving higher geometric detail in any given scene of the game world by simultaneously LOD'ing/occluding what's not to be seen, the concept was envisioned for open world games first and foremost so I'm surprised we're still talking about this whole "open world will never look as good as linear" at all. These consoles must be seriously memory constrained, Cerny's bet better pay off.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wonder why mesh shaders didn't solve this when it was the whole point of them. Achieving higher geometric detail in any given scene of the game world by simultaneously LOD'ing/occluding what's not to be seen, the concept was envisioned for open world games first and foremost so I'm surprised we're still talking about this whole "open world will never look as good as linear" at all. These consoles must be seriously memory constrained, Cerny's bet better pay off.
Tbf, except for hb2, even wukong has "a lot" of questionable textures, specially on chapter 2, very uneven even maxed out on pc.

So even nanite can't really solve the texture problem completely with those hardwares (but it sure help).

i_mean

Banned

People also need to divorce themselves from this line of thinking, this is the old way of doing things. i.e you have X amount of budget for polygons and matericals and X amount of draw calls you can have before it starts punishing your gpu and affecting performance. That's why linear games look better than open world games, you can pack more geo into a smaller more defined space right? Nanite doesn't work that way...it's a different way of rendering...that's what makes it great. You don't have to worry about geometry drawcalls...so linear or open will have similar performance, plus it frustrum culls, occludes automatically, etc. plus if you wanted you can still use old school methods of optimization for it.

i_mean

Banned
Tbf, except for hb2, even wukong has "a lot" of questionable textures, specially on chapter 2, very uneven even maxed out on pc.

So even nanite can't really solve the texture problem completely with those hardwares (but it sure help).
Nanite has nothing to do with textures...that's Virtual texturing which is like nanite for textures.

GymWolf

Gold Member
People also need to divorce themselves from this line of thinking, this is the old way of doing things. i.e you have X amount of budget for polygons and matericals and X amount of draw calls you can have before it starts punishing your gpu and affecting performance. That's why linear games look better than open world games, you can pack more geo into a smaller more defined space right? Nanite doesn't work that way...it's a different way of rendering...that's what makes it great. You don't have to worry about geometry drawcalls...so linear or open will have similar performance, plus it frustrum culls, occludes automatically, etc. plus if you wanted you can still use old school methods of optimization for it.
So how do you explain hb2 being super small and looking better than any other bigger game that use ue5?

Wukong chap 2 is way bigger than chap 1 and with a lot of textures that are not as pristine as chapt 1, and frankly no chapter after the first one look as pristine and even.

Not sure if i understand what you are saying, but size of the location still seems to matter for the overall detail, nanite or not.

I'm still pretty sure that you can't do a big open world with a lof of npcs and enemies and stuff on screen with the granular detail of hb2 everywhere, not on these hardwares.

edit: ok nanite is not responsible for textures, i always forget that it's mostly for geometry.

Last edited:
Thing is virtual geometry still hasn't truly fulfilled that promise, considering the huge graphical delta between linear and open world current gen releases to date. My theory from many arbitrary sources is that hardware accelerated (Nanite is mostly software) mesh shaders/virtual geo usually eats up lots of VRAM, which these same people theorize are holding back adoption on current gen consoles. Cerny's SSD solution is still very young and few to no developers have worked around it this way, which is why I hope it pays off.

Last edited:

i_mean

Banned
Thing is virtual geometry still hasn't truly fulfilled that promise, considering the huge graphical delta between linear and open world current gen releases to date. My theory from many arbitrary sources is that hardware accelerated (Nanite is mostly software) mesh shaders/virtual geo usually eats up lots of VRAM, which these same people theorize are holding back adoption on current gen consoles. Cerny's SSD solution is still very young and few to no developers have worked around it this way, which is why I hope it pays off.
What games have come out that were open world? where are you seeing this Delta to make comparisons? all you have to do is go get Unreal 5 and see for yourself you don't need to wait for any games...if you know how to profile..use unreal insights..you can get all the numbers and metric yourself. the games that have come out have been semi-open world from smaller teams...besides Fortnite of course.

What games have come out that were open world? where are you seeing this Delta to make comparisons? all you have to do is go get Unreal 5 and see for yourself you don't need to wait for any games...if you know how to profile..use unreal insights..you can get all the numbers and metric yourself. the games that have come out have been semi-open world from smaller teams...besides Fortnite of course.
There hasn't been any truly open world UE5 games for starters, besides Fortnite and Epic made that one. The only notable mesh shader implementation outside of Epic relating to open world games is Snowdrop's, all you have to do is look at Outlaws to see that promise simply hasn't came true yet.

Last edited:

i_mean

Banned
So how do you explain hb2 being super small and looking better than any other bigger game?

Wukong chap 2 is way bigger than chap 1 and with a lot of textures that are not as pristine as chapt 1, and frankly no chapter after the first one look as pristine and even.

Not sure if i understand what you are saying, but size of the location still seems to matter for the overall detail, nanite or not.

I'm still pretty sure that you can't do a big open world with a lof of npcs and enemies and stuff on screen with the granular detail of hb2 everywhere, not on these hardwares.

edit: ok nanite is not responsible for textures, i always forget that it's mostly for geometry.
Because they have a great experienced team that works closely with epic. it's that simple...has nothing to do with it being smaller or larger in terms of world size. Just because you have lots of NPC's doesn't necessarily mean you its going to be heavier...as theirs lots of ways to optimize for that....any Npc thats out of range has their animations turned off, flat out turn them into cards at a distance..etc etc. Why don't you guys just test these things yourselves? i've been a lurker here for awhile..and i've always wondered...with all this debate y'all engage in...and knowledge you seem to posses...why not open up the engine and see for yourself? why do you need DF?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fable is fully open world, made by extremely capable devs when it comes to graphic, made in ue5, and it looks nowhere as detailed as hb2.

We only saw trailers with barely any gameplay, but both characters and locations don't look nearly as good as hb2.

I'm not going against what you say (not nearly enough on an expert), i just wanna learn why that's the case.

Top Bottom