• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because they have a great experienced team that works closely with epic. it's that simple...has nothing to do with it being smaller or larger in terms of world size. Just because you have lots of NPC's doesn't necessarily mean you its going to be heavier...as theirs lots of ways to optimize for that....any Npc thats out of range has their animations turned off, flat out turn them into cards at a distance..etc etc. Why don't you guys just test these things yourselves? i've been a lurker here for awhile..and i've always wondered...with all this debate y'all engage in...and knowledge you seem to posses...why not open up the engine and see for yourself? why do you need DF?
Many of us are just passionate gamers with no much knowledge on how engines work, so we just speculate and dream big :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wukon was made in 4 years by 30 people with only 30 million dollars.

Absolutely shaming these talentless western/ Japanese devs. They should all feel shame.
Tbf in china they pay devs with cup noodles and fortune cookies, you can't really compare the budgets.

Of course the broad point still stands.

i_mean

Banned
mesh shader implementation outside of

There hasn't been any truly open world UE5 games for starters, besides Fortnite and Epic made that one. The only notable mesh shader implementation outside of Epic relating to open world games is Snowdrop's, all you have to do is look at Outlaws to see that promise simply hasn't came true yet.
mesh shaders and Nanite..although similar in philosophy aren't the same thing

mesh shaders and Nanite..although similar in philosophy aren't the same thing
That is in fact what I said, Nanite is a software solution based on raster but it's still achieving better results than the hardware accelerated ones available for RDNA2/Turing architectures and up, which interestingly enough AW2 aside have been used to render open world games that simply don't look nearly as good as either Hb2 or Wukong. Coincidence?

Last edited:

i_mean

Banned
Fable is fully open world, made by extremely capable devs when it comes to graphic, made in ue5, and it looks nowhere as detailed as hb2.

We only saw trailers with barely any gameplay, but both characters and locations don't look nearly as good as hb2.

I'm not going against what you say (not nearly enough on an expert), i just wanna learn why that's the case.
You always have to consider the amount of work it takes to get to that level of fidelity..first, Fable just isn't that style of game...and they aren't going to go on trips all over the world to photoscan a bunch of locations...something you can do if your game is small and only features a few locations. Imaging the amount of work and data they would need to make an open world version of hb2...that's why you see the difference. One is still sculpting and doing a traditional pipeline mostly and the other is scanning everything.

i_mean

Banned
That is in fact what I said, Nanite is a software solution based on raster but it's still achieving better results than the hardware accelerated ones available for RDNA2/Turing architectures and up, which interestingly enough AW2 aside have been used to render open world games that simply don't look nearly as good as either Hb2 or Wukong. Coincidence?
I thought you were talking about Nanite and the difference between linear and open world.

I thought you were talking about Nanite and the difference between linear and open world.
Just virtual geometry in general, Nanite might be its poster child but there have been other methods out there like Snowdrop doing open worlds that have proved inferior to the current, linear UE5 efforts. There have also not been UE5 open world games yet, and frankly I can't think of any coming anytime soon. I'm speaking of the present, but that's not what a fulfilled promise (four years into the gen) looks like.

Last edited:

Bitstream

You always have to consider the amount of work it takes to get to that level of fidelity..first, Fable just isn't that style of game...and they aren't going to go on trips all over the world to photoscan a bunch of locations...something you can do if your game is small and only features a few locations. Imaging the amount of work and data they would need to make an open world version of hb2...that's why you see the difference. One is still sculpting and doing a traditional pipeline mostly and the other is scanning everything.
agreed, the graphics need to be reigned in depending on the world layout, navigation through it, how many characters will be on screen, and any effects they want to layer on top. You can make an incredibly detailed game where you are only allowed to move slowly and face off against a few opponents at a time, but would immediately run out of VRAM and crash if you tried adding another character on top of that at the same quality level.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That sound a little strange...so there is no way to get hb2 level of details without scanning stuff in real life?

So in 20 years from now, any open world that doesn't scan stuff is not gonna look better than a 20 years old hb2?

There must be other ways to get that level of fidelity without going into trips, it's frankly hard to believe.

Now i have to go, i'm gonna read your response later or tomorrow, good day.

Last edited:
Fable is fully open world, made by extremely capable devs when it comes to graphic, made in ue5, and it looks nowhere as detailed as hb2.

We only saw trailers with barely any gameplay, but both characters and locations don't look nearly as good as hb2.

I'm not going against what you say (not nearly enough on an expert), i just wanna learn why that's the case.
But Fable is not made with UE5, it's using the ForzaTech no ?

i_mean

Banned
That sound a little strange...so there is no way to get hb2 level of details without scanning stuff in real life?

So in 20 years from now, any open world that doesn't scan stuff is not gonna look better than a 20 years old hb2?

There must be other ways to get that level of fidelity without going into trips, it's frankly hard to believe.
You can sculpt meticulously but that takes lots of time and of course money....that's why you just scan shit...you can't get more real than real. often with these discussions i see people tend to forget the realities of production and budget. Can you sculpt to that level...yes but it will take you longer and cost more money..why would you do that? especially if that level isn't even something you want to achieve in the first place.

Bitstream

Let's throw out the fact that most assets are scanned in nowadays, and assume that every developer has access to the same set of super high resolution objects, characters, and landscapes. There will always be hardware limits that dictate how many of those you can feasibly include on screen at once before the whole thing slows down to an unplayable FPS. Tradeoffs need to be made to deliver the type of gameplay and experience the devs are aiming for.

i_mean

Banned

Now i have to go, i'm gonna read your response later or tomorrow, good day.
And no in 20 years that won't happen because software isn't static..you'd have a host of new tools to reach that fidelity easily

GymWolf

Gold Member
Let's throw out the fact that most assets are scanned in nowadays, and assume that every developer has access to the same set of super high resolution objects, characters, and landscapes. There will always be hardware limits that dictate how many of those you can feasibly include on screen at once before the whole thing slows down to an unplayable FPS. Tradeoffs need to be made to deliver the type of gameplay and experience the devs are aiming for.
So it's more of a matter of power and hardwares not powerfull enough in the end.

Last edited:

i_mean

Banned
So it's more of a matter of power and hardwares not powerfull enough in the end.
Of course, the Ps5 is a glorified 2070....you're not going to get the latest greatest out of that, i have a ps5 devkit at home...you can squeeze a lot out of it..but it comes with caveats...if you want a giant open world with hb2 levels of fidelity and tonnes of characters on screen...then you have to turn off their shadows...due to how VSM works or not use them like Wukong did...or turn down the shadow quality until it looks like poo or you can use Nanite but bake your shadows and not use lumen...something has to give

Bitstream

Exactly, take HB2 and decide you want to be able to drive through the environments instead, ala GTA. Once the car gets 10 feet ahead where you would be on foot, now the engine can't load in those same high resolution assets in time, and the dev either has to cut the level of detail to accommodate the new speed of traversal, or you'll end up driving into a blank void for a few seconds while the engine drops to 1 FPS and tries loading in everything

Xtib81

Wukon was made in 4 years by 30 people with only 75 million dollars.

Absolutely shaming these talentless western/ Japanese devs. They should all feel shame.
I doubt it was made by only 30 developers. Regardless, this game puts Ragnarok to shame. Santa Monica should take some notes.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It seems impossible to me that only 30 devs managed to made this, I 100% believe this number is fake
Its like the 20 devs of biomutant but when you watch the credits it's much more people.

The game feels like it was made by a big sony first party tbh, i mean except for the protagonist that doesn't talk much :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DanielG165

Somehow someway, I’m able to play Wukong at 1440p, DLSS Performance, and high settings with no RT, 60fps on an 2080S, and the game looks absolutely nuts. HB2 is very much still number 1, but that’s a different beast altogether. Overall for me, Wukong is easily the 2nd best looking game on the market, but in terms of a massive game with a lot of things to do, it’s number one.

Last edited:

mrqs

Star Wars Outlaws looks better than I thought it would be on consoles! But still, I really ask myself: Is all this effort on next-gen stuff really worth it? Some Unreal Engine 4 titles with a super sharp image and baked lighting sure can be more impressive than a ~1080p FSR 2.0 upscaled image quality standard. I thought this generation would be amazing for the visual quality of games, but it's so inconsistent and FSR is used to fix last-minute problems that it’s just annoying. Really considering going for a PC in the next few years because the image quality on consoles is being consistently sub-par.

CGNoire

This game is unbelievable. It's insane that they managed to ship this while presumably transitioning from UE4 in 2021, the version they transitioned to is none other than the original 5.0 build as well. The "Valley of the Ancients" tech demo claimed to run on PS5 was made with it, the promise coming to life at last.

I'm new here just in case, my favorite thread in Gaf by the way.
Welcome. 🙂

Just for the sake of the games that still have to release before this gen end, i hope that some teams are gonna be able to do metahuman faces without using metahuman.

If to get good faces devs are forced to use metahumans we are fucked because at least 50% of big teams doesn't use that engine.

Like if tlou3 doesn't get on par with metahumans i'm gonna be severely disappointed, i think they can because tlou2 and cheap remake have some incredible faces during cutscenes.
I think they definitely can forbidden west has some of the best looking npcs to this day

Msamy

After black myth wukong graphics and performance in ps5 and pc considering its scale i think that now no studios have right to give us shit cross gen looking games not they will labled as lazy and unworthy developer

This game is unbelievable. It's insane that they managed to ship this while presumably transitioning from UE4 in 2021, the version they transitioned to is none other than the original 5.0 build as well. The "Valley of the Ancients" tech demo claimed to run on PS5 was made with it, the promise coming to life at last.

I'm new here just in case, my favorite thread in Gaf by the way.
Welcome 😁

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Somehow someway, I’m able to play Wukong at 1440p, DLSS Performance, and high settings with no RT, 60fps on an 2080S, and the game looks absolutely nuts. HB2 is very much still number 1, but that’s a different beast altogether. Overall for me, Wukong is easily the 2nd best looking game on the market, but in terms of a massive game with a lot of things to do, it’s number one.
My friend is playing this on a 2080 4k dlss performance around 45 fps. Star Wars is almost exactly 45 fps for him as well. im honestly blown away by how amazing that card is holding up for him. Mostly because he is using it with a 7800x3d. I had that card for years before giving it to him and it started showing its age as soon as the PS5 launched. However, its entirely possible that my cpu was holding it back especially since the new RT games do impact the CPU in ways older last gen games did not. I also saw this when i upgraded my i7-8700 to i7-11700k. massive 20% performance boost even in 60 fps games. I thought my gpu was the bottleneck because it would always hit 99% but simply upgrading my cpu gave me a boost in many RT titles.

SlimySnake

With raytracing PC actually has some huge advantage over consoles.
It wasn't always that obvious of an advantage back in the day where you only had higher texture res at best.
well, both wukong and star wars have RT technically. its just there with sacrifices. last gen, the ps4 pro and x1x didnt have RT at all.

I think AMD did a fine job getting RT hardware in these consoles. These are cheap $500 machines (ps5 is technically $400) so they were always going to have cutbacks compared to PC. My $850 pc gpu cant run rtx in wukong so im settling for software lumen just like console plebs. its still RTGI just not as extensive as hardware accelerated GI.

star wars is using rtgi, reflections and shadows and can go as high as 1620p in quality mode on consoles. So what if PC is using ray reconstruction to upgrade some reflections. its a decent upgrade, but nothing special. In black myth the difference is more stark but almost every comparison ive seen shows that it illuminates the environments too much taking away from the artists intent.

SlimySnake

Digital Foundry downplays Wukong, and then posts a video slobbering all over the latest Ubislop offering. Hilarious.
It’s so silly because the iq here is much worse and it actually has texture streaming issues that herhimself tweeted work arounds for.

He’s also defending the horrible character model. Clearly biased and why DF continues to get shit on. You can’t make 30 minute video shitting on arguably the best looking game on ps5 because of some technical issues then ignore similar technical issues on a game less than a week later. Their resolution range on quality both is almost the same across both games, but Star Wars has worse iq due to other technical issues. And yet black myth was trashed simply because it didn’t lock the framerate to 30.

Luipadre

Star Wars Outlaws looks better than I thought it would be on consoles! But still, I really ask myself: Is all this effort on next-gen stuff really worth it? Some Unreal Engine 4 titles with a super sharp image and baked lighting sure can be more impressive than a ~1080p FSR 2.0 upscaled image quality standard. I thought this generation would be amazing for the visual quality of games, but it's so inconsistent and FSR is used to fix last-minute problems that it’s just annoying. Really considering going for a PC in the next few years because the image quality on consoles is being consistently sub-par.

FSR is the bane of this generation. I fucking hate it. Almost every game looks dogshit IQ wise. We had much better looking games in the fucking PS4 Pro era in terms of image quality. That shit was clean

Audiophile

FSR is the bane of this generation. I fucking hate it. Almost every game looks dogshit IQ wise. We had much better looking games in the fucking PS4 Pro era in terms of image quality. That shit was clean
I wish they never created it, relatively small devs were rolling their own solutions or optimising existing ones and looking better doing it. Now we have devs across the board just slapping FSR on. Even with adequate base resolution it's still not as good as what we were seeing in the latter end of the last gen.

Toots

Gold Member
i have a ps5 devkit at home
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom