• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is a former Naughty Dog dev, like I've been saying Series S should have never been created.

I fucking hate that series s exist.

Console are already weak af, let's just make an even shittier baseline that devs have to overcome...

Rockstar not releasing on S would be the chaddest, alpha move in gaming history by a landslide.

Last edited:

Once more UE5

Looks awesome tbh, but a few things. I think games should look the same during gameplay and cutscenes by now. With PS5 and UE5 the fidelity should look better during gameplay segments. also WHEN NANITE CHARACTER MODELS? These last gen models in next gen worlds are horrible, even Hellblade 2 showed a short coming in today’s character models and that had some of the best ever created. We also need hair to look better! Look at Dragon Age: The Veilguard for how hair should be done…

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a former Naughty Dog dev, like I've been saying Series S should have never been created.

Everyone was saying this even before launch. DF was at E3 and openly talked about how no devs there wanted it. And this is before it was even announced.

My biggest fear, and the cause of my only [but well deserved] ban on neogaf 2.0, was that series s would hold back gaming in general. It's clear now with certain PS5 ports literally dropping to 720p at times that the only thing series s held back was xbox releases lol. It's the biggest L i've ever seen a company take from their own decision making. But i dont want to bring console wars into this so i will end this by simply saying that I was wrong about series s holding back this gen, and i couldnt be happier about it. Feel bad for Xbox Series X owners who did go out of their way to spend an extra $250 but let's hope they voice their concerns at the appropriate people on twitter so this doesnt happen again.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The one that doesn't care about who you are
Just an FYI, you will be called out until you get verified by the staff. Shoot Evillore or Dgrayson a message and they will keep your identity a secret. You will get a verified tag and no one will ask you for receipts again. If you want to remain anonymous, you can do that too but at the point you cant say stuff like I have a PS5 devkit at home and expect everyone to believe it.

i_mean

Banned
Just an FYI, you will be called out until you get verified by the staff. Shoot Evillore or Dgrayson a message and they will keep your identity a secret. You will get a verified tag and no one will ask you for receipts again. If you want to remain anonymous, you can do that too but at the point you cant say stuff like I have a PS5 devkit at home and expect everyone to believe it.
Doesn't matter to me if they do or don't....it's not hard to get one you know...if you're making a game..just create a business(which you'd have to do at some point anyway)..go to playstation partners..submit your pitch deck and the required info they need...viola..you're a PlayStation partner and can get a devkit...that's it that's all.

SlimySnake

Once more UE5

Six years in development. Meaning they started around 2018. Games are taking forever to make nowadays but thats all the more reason they all shouldve started making next gen games back then instead of shipping cross gen games as late as 2022.

Looks fantastic. Really unique and different.

Shame there is no discussion here about Star Wars. Im out of town starting tomorrow and dont want to waste a week of Ubisoft+ otherwise id post impressions and gifs. People in OT and especially on twitter and really impressed by the graphics. it doesnt look as bad as many here had feared.

This tweet by the Massive tech director is kind of bittersweet.

1) You have a dev who is really proud of getting the toughest area in the game up to 55 fps up from 25 fps just 8 months ago.
2) He has to do this because DF as always focuses on the worst case scenarios to measure performance. it should be an average of multiple sections in the game.
3) He points out to people complaining about 720p that getting RTGI and reflections working on consoles at 60 fps will always require compromises. But so many people would immediately default to 60 fps and skip the quality mode which runs at resolutions 2-3x higher with better effects. Just go with a 30 fps mode and call it a day. 720p is too low and FSR simply cant handle it. If you had DLSS then sure, but if consoles cant do 60 fps without dropping to 720p then dont even bother. People will always focus on the negatives and you are giving them a shitty version to keep trashing your game.

Msamy

Six years in development. Meaning they started around 2018. Games are taking forever to make nowadays but thats all the more reason they all shouldve started making next gen games back then instead of shipping cross gen games as late as 2022.

Looks fantastic. Really unique and different.

Shame there is no discussion here about Star Wars. Im out of town starting tomorrow and dont want to waste a week of Ubisoft+ otherwise id post impressions and gifs. People in OT and especially on twitter and really impressed by the graphics. it doesnt look as bad as many here had feared.

This tweet by the Massive tech director is kind of bittersweet.

1) You have a dev who is really proud of getting the toughest area in the game up to 55 fps up from 25 fps just 8 months ago.
2) He has to do this because DF as always focuses on the worst case scenarios to measure performance. it should be an average of multiple sections in the game.
3) He points out to people complaining about 720p that getting RTGI and reflections working on consoles at 60 fps will always require compromises. But so many people would immediately default to 60 fps and skip the quality mode which runs at resolutions 2-3x higher with better effects. Just go with a 30 fps mode and call it a day. 720p is too low and FSR simply cant handle it. If you had DLSS then sure, but if consoles cant do 60 fps without dropping to 720p then dont even bother. People will always focus on the negatives and you are giving them a shitty version to keep trashing your game.

Massive snow drop engine alongside UE5 are by far have the best graphics in current gen consoles up until now (maybe next year decima and rage can catch or out perform them) so for me massive are truley one of the best this gen, star wars outlaws have all ray tracing features in current gen consoles alongside good resolution and framrate on other hand, many games from sony first party studios with huge budget didnt have single ray tracing feature, then you got some people start a war on star wars outlaws because of useless things.

Massive snow drop engine alongside UE5 are by far have the best graphics in current gen consoles up until now (maybe next year decima and rage can catch or out perform them) so for me massive are truley one of the best this gen, star wars outlaws have all ray tracing features in current gen consoles alongside good resolution and framrate on other hand, many games from sony first party studios with huge budget didnt have single ray tracing feature, then you got some people start a war on star wars outlaws because of useless things.
I'd not sleep on the work Playground games are doing with Forza Tech and Fable.

winjer

Gold Member
720p is too low and FSR simply cant handle it. If you had DLSS then sure, but if consoles cant do 60 fps without dropping to 720p then dont even bother. People will always focus on the negatives and you are giving them a shitty version to keep trashing your game.

And to make things worse, Ubisoft decided to use FSR 3.0, not FSR 3.1.

Msamy

Cirmson desert desert gamescom gameplay videos looks amazing some of the shown levels looks on bar with black myth wukong considering Cirmson desert run in inhouse game engine and not in UE5 they done a very great job

Last edited:

DanielG165

Not my screenshots, but Outlaws does indeed look amazing. Even at 1080p high with RT (that’s as far as I could go with my personal set up), the game looks utterly fantastic. There’s one crash so far, but otherwise the game is stunning visually, and runs well enough on my aging system, though it’s making me definitely want to upgrade my 2080 Super in the near future, just so I have more headroom to push things further.

Weirdly, there’s been one CGI cutscene that served as a transition of sorts, which was jarring at first, but at least it looked really good lol. Having a blast so far too, as an aside!

R09V3tJ.jpeg
o4jErx7.jpeg
HfPo0xD.jpeg
Z4BfThN.jpeg
cCr1BRW.jpeg
NS5Qwl7.jpeg
GiBFFFi.jpeg

Last edited:
Not my screenshots, but Outlaws does indeed look amazing. Even at 1080p high with RT (that’s as far as I could go with my personal set up), the game looks utterly fantastic. There’s one crash so far, but otherwise the game is stunning visually, and runs well enough on my aging system, though it’s making me definitely want to upgrade my 2080 Super in the near future, just so I have more headroom to push things further.

Weirdly, there’s been one CGI cutscene that served as a transition of sorts, which was jarring at first, but at least it looked really good lol. Having a blast so far too, as an aside!

R09V3tJ.jpeg
o4jErx7.jpeg
HfPo0xD.jpeg
Z4BfThN.jpeg
cCr1BRW.jpeg
NS5Qwl7.jpeg
GiBFFFi.jpeg
Whoa that does look good

EDIT: is this on pc? Or console?

Last edited:

mrqs

Star Wars Outlaws actually looks pretty nice! And I'm totally fine losing a tiny bit of resolution for a 40fps mode. Would love to that to become the standard!

Been playing on Xbox and I'm actually truly digging it. This 'next-gen' surely needs a PS5 Pro.

notseqi

R09V3tJ.jpeg
o4jErx7.jpeg
HfPo0xD.jpeg
Z4BfThN.jpeg
cCr1BRW.jpeg
NS5Qwl7.jpeg
GiBFFFi.jpeg
man those first two stormtroopers make me feel feels
so crisp

edit: i just noticed the dirty specks and tracks between those stormtroopers, b a n a n a s

Last edited:

SlimySnake

R09V3tJ.jpeg
o4jErx7.jpeg
HfPo0xD.jpeg
Z4BfThN.jpeg
cCr1BRW.jpeg
NS5Qwl7.jpeg
GiBFFFi.jpeg
Looks great. How next Gen does it feel compared to say black myth wukong?

Also how does the open world compare to horizon fw and avatar?

DanielG165

It’s definitely a very advanced game with a pretty damn good RT implementation. The lighting is absolutely stellar, along with environmental detail, destruction, particle effects, etc. It’s also quite heavy too, performance wise, and is probably the most brutal game my system has run in a while, even more so than HB2. Though, the patch today apparently helps with VRAM issues, so we’ll see if that improves anything.

Compared to Wukong, I guess Outlaws doesn’t feel as next/current gen as the former, what with less impressive character models and less detail overall. However, from what I’ve seen so far with my own eyes, it’s still very deserving of the current gen game status. The open world is honestly some of the best I’ve seen so far, graphically and density-wise. Plus, it is ultimately doing more overall than Wukong because of the larger scope, and having RT essentially baked in at all times, not to take anything away from Black Myth being a visual tour de force.

Far as the open world goes, that I can’t really say for certain so far, especially in comparing Outlaws to Avatar or Forbidden West; I just need to play more first. Though, I will say that I personally think that Outlaws looks better than Forbidden West, and the world so far feels less… Static? FW’s game world was gorgeous, but it felt like a postcard, if that makes sense. This here feels more alive with more stuff going on.

Last edited:

Msamy

I have noticed that many peoples didnt like star wars outlaws even with all its usage of advanced graphics tech (personally like it very much) it seems that peoples finally started to know how current gen titles should look like after games like black myth, avatar and hellblade 2, i defenitly want to see those cunts who defend some current gen only titles with cross and last gen graphics in nowadays

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The problem with outlaws is that for every nextgen tech it has, it also has stuff that look super meh, the games seems to be made by 2 different teams at times, from many mediocre human npcs, to human faces, animations, fire\explosions effects, digital acting and some very questionable textures, it doesn't look as fully nextgen as cyberpunk, alan wake 2, avatar, wukong or hb2.

And i know that animations and digital acting and faces are not exactly graphic (??) or just some small parts of the graphic, but when you play the game, it's hard to call it fully nextgen when a crossgen from 3 years ago literally violate you in some aspects.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Say what you want about Hasan Kahraman, but his idea for an app to distribute real-time trailers was fantastic and still desperately needed. I reckon this will solve some of the disagreements of the visual merits of certain games between those who've actually played it on thier console/pc vs those who've only been experienced via youtube videos.

DanielG165

^ Yeah. Space Marines 2, Outlaws, and Black Myth are essentially going to be the triple threat trinity for me in terms of current gen visuals for the rest of the year. I don’t know how I’m gonna have enough time to play them all lol.

Last edited:

DanielG165

What is the recommended mode for Outlaws on console (between 30fps & 60fps, dont have the set up for 40)
I think performance mode tops out at what, 720p? Unless 30fps is super jarring for you, I’d probably go with that and have a higher resolution and detail.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

R09V3tJ.jpeg
o4jErx7.jpeg
HfPo0xD.jpeg
Z4BfThN.jpeg
cCr1BRW.jpeg
NS5Qwl7.jpeg
GiBFFFi.jpeg
I’m totally buying this game for the Pro. And I don’t like Ubisoft games.

Bojji

I think both Wukong (and few other UE5 games) and Outlaws/Avatar are the current peak of graphics. Usual best developers from Sony are far behind right now - cross gen fucked things over. Even Insomniac (almost their only dev using RT) is behind when it comes to lighting, they are still using old raster techniques.

It's funny to see that once nr. 1 Sony studios are far behind third party devs 4 years into generation. I think Massive engine is some miracle running (almost) 60fps with RT lighting/AO and reflections in open world setting on consoles. UE5 games might look better but are much heavier and constrained.

Last edited:
I think both Wukong (and few other UE5 games) and Outlaws/Avatar are the current peak of graphics. Usual best developers from Sony are far behind right now - cross gen fucked things over. Even Insomniac (almost their only dev using RT) is behind when it comes to lighting, they are still using old raster techniques.

It's funny to see that once nr. 1 Sony studios are far behind third party devs 4 years into generation. I think Massive engine is some miracle running (almost) 60fps with RT lighting/AO and reflections in open world setting on consoles. UE5 games might look better but are much heavier and constrained.
Yeah, can't be first when they were shipping PS4 games two years into the gen. Everything depends on DS2 now, we'll have a showcase for that one very soon at least.

Bojji

Yeah, can't be first when they were shipping PS4 games two years into the gen. Everything depends on DS2 now, we'll have a showcase for that one very soon at least.

DS2 looks great but not that much better than DS1 on PS5/PC based on trailers.

What Sony games are missing is real time GI, UE5 has lumen and few other games have RTGI but Sony so far have nothing. This is the biggest difference between PS4 and PS5 era of graphics.

I think they are implementing some stuff in their engines thanks to much higher RT performance of PS5 pro but so far their showing has been poor (on regular PS5 obviously), even PC ports usually lack any RT. In the meantime rest of the industry is moving forward.

Bojji

I don't think so, the cutscenes shown are worlds apart. According to DF it already has some sort of real time GI, so if anything they already kept up.

I hope they have it (y)

Beautiful. Now they should take the $$$ they just earned and implement HDR in time for me to enjoy on the Pro.

Ridiculous posts are ridiculous.

bY3n92s.jpeg
7hTm6Le.jpeg
''

This is DS1 vs DS2? It's hard to compare with completely different environment and lighting.

DS1 is still VERY good looking game (especially character models).

Flabagast

What Sony games are missing is real time GI, UE5 has lumen and few other games have RTGI but Sony so far have nothing. This is the biggest difference between PS4 and PS5 era of graphics.

I think they are implementing some stuff in their engines thanks to much higher RT performance of PS5 pro but so far their showing has been poor (on regular PS5 obviously), even PC ports usually lack any RT. In the meantime rest of the industry is moving forward.
no sony games for now mostly lack super high level of micro-geometry, nanite like.

no sony games for now mostly lack super high level of micro-geometry, nanite like.
This is what's left in their engines so far. Although Spiderman 2 does have some flawless world streaming so I wonder if there's already proof that primitive shaders are in active use.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

DF said the trailer has hints that they are using RTGI. But I agree the rocks and other ground detail isnt exactly screaming nanite. its an upgrade, but not a huge one. i have a feeling they are targeting a native 4k resolution like HFW.

I think Sony studios missed a truck by not embracing rt in their cross Gen game Gen games. Callisto looks amazing with rt effects and higher quality assets. Literally a generation ahead of TLOU Part 1 and GOW Ragnroak released the same year. HFW excelled elsewhere but its trees and forests couldve used rtao, rt shadows to really make trees and interiors cast realistic shadows. Black Myth's forests look so perfect in that regard. even dragon Dogma's trees gain a lot from this.

cnBWBp9.gif

all they had to do was slap rt on their games and improve asset fidelity. they failed at that. now we have to wait another 2-3 years to see what they have cooking. But if they target 1080p-1440p like star wars outlaws and black myth, i have no doubt they will top both games.
Demon Souls and some Ratchet levels have that kind of asset fidelity ive come to expect from top tier next gen games. But the rest i agree, last gen as fuck. DS has great draw distance and lighting, but i really hope they improve the geometry and other ground level detail. hopefully its kinda like star wars outlaws and jedi survivor where youtube compression is hiding all that detail.

Top Bottom