• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
I was a bit disappointed with the way Sam looks in DS2, he doesn't look that much better compared to DS1. They still have trouble with hair rendering.
Yeah decima is pretty weak with hairs.

The skin is also still a bit waxy looking.

If gta6 manage to have fifa hair tech (or better) on hundreds of npcs on screen, there is no excuse anymore for other devs.

Last edited:

teokrazia

LOL, the real name of this game should be Black Myth: Vulgar Display of Nanite
aKiOYBg.jpeg

Also the eye tech is very good, even if I still have to understand if eyes actually reflect what characters are looking at, like the protagonists of Alan Wake 2 with RTX
UjFpWfD.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is how gow ragnarock should have looked if it was only nextgen and released now and not 2 years ago.

I still can't believe they sacrificed their best scoring new ip and the sequel of their best scoring game from past gen to the altar of crossgens...

Horizon somehow survived but ragnarock was pitiful graphic wise.

DanielG165

And it runs and feels SO much better to play than WuKong.
The feel part is the biggest thing for me, as Black Myth runs really well without RT. But the lack of animation canceling, and it feeling like there’s some input delay in there too makes the game have some chintzy-ness to it. I’ve seen people compare it to Ninja Gaiden, and as someone who’s been playing the series for over a decade, I respectfully, vehemently disagree.

Senua

Gold Member
This is how gow ragnarock should have looked if it was only nextgen and released now and not 2 years ago.

I still can't believe they sacrificed their best scoring new ip and the sequel of their best scoring game from past gen to the altar of crossgens...

Horizon somehow survived but ragnarock was pitiful graphic wise.
Yup it just felt like a PS4 game with much higher res textures.

Xtib81

You make it sound like it was some students making it in their mother's basement.
They have the money and resources of the biggest companies in the world, and probably much more via the chinese party involvement.
Well, it's their first AAA game, they developed it in 5 years or so and back in 2020, they were only 40. Yet, they have managed to ridicule a studio like SM that has been making GOW games for 2 decades. I'd say it's quite an achievement.

You make it sound like it was some students making it in their mother's basement.
They have the money and resources of the biggest companies in the world, and probably much more via the chinese party involvement.
? No, the studio has exactly that headcount and they call themselves independent, the game is even self-published. If you mean Tencent, they only have a 5% stack on GS.

Trilobit

I know this might not compare to most of the games you guys post in this thread, but I was watching footage of Visions of Mana and I think it looks gorgeous in motion, potentially better than Granblue if we're judging this on an anime art style scale.

still-early-on-but-just-want-to-say-the-game-is-wonderful-v0-0xdrunl2mamd1.png

the-skyboxes-in-this-game-man-v0-izz6yj07m7md1.jpg

Even if it's not better, it might at least have better camera work:

I enjoy seeing stuff here that aren't photorealistic. I want to have games that strive to emulate renaissance paintings or perfectly depict Cowboy Bebop-styled anime.

bebop-anime-16353690633771.png

littlezoo

Neo Member
I don't think this game has any involvement from the Chinese government. The CCP like to claim credit for anything successful, but if you really get into the game's storyline, It's actually all about showing how evil authoritarian regimes are. The final anime in the true ending even talks about overthrowing the Heavenly Court (another metaphor).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, it's their first AAA game, they developed it in 5 years or so and back in 2020, they were only 40. Yet, they have managed to ridicule a studio like SM that has been making GOW games for 2 decades. I'd say it's quite an achievement.
Black Myth is basically those UE5 demos posted here from time to time, only its a real game that actually managed to come out and have 40+ hours of gameplay. It's shocking how large this game is despite the extraordinary production values. Clearly graphics arent the bottleneck this gen, but something wrong with development philosophies and workflows of AAA devs who took just as long to make last gen looking games.

Just comparing the different biomes to what 343i did with 750 full time devs. Then within those biomes they have a lot of different variety both in terms of assets and lighting. I love how the forest chapter goes from day time to night time for the wolf fight and then dusk or dawn for the final climb up to the bear fight and then the fire completely changes the look of the bear fight arena. its clear that this isnt a UE5 asset flip but a lot of artists and cinematographers poured their heart and soul into adding variety to the look of the game.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wukong is the definition of this thread imo, this is what I expected overall graphic of games to look like earlier in the gen. Not perfect but I've never been so wowed by such a lenghty game visual quality.

SlimySnake

Black Myth isnt perfect btw. The latest DF direct today mentions how its still using the very first version of UE5. So none of the performance improvements from 5.2 and especially 5.4. This is where the small size of the team hurts. We've already seen some silly decisions made in the PS5 port like not capping the 30 and 40 fps modes, using fsr instead of tsr, and using framegen to get to 60 fps despite AMD telling gamers not to do it. And now it looks like they just didnt have the time to rebuild their game on the latest build or even the year old build that also added nanite foliage.

i hope they go back and do something about this because the performance would get a substantial boost. iirc, UE5.4 improved framerates by 30-50% in the city sample matrix demo.

SlimySnake

DF also previewed two other UE5 games. MGS3 and SH2. MGS3 apparently looks excellent but honestly im not seeing it. Maybe its one of those games that dont show well on youtube. But Tom was very impressed by the detail they've packed into trees and bricks. THe game is targeting native 4k in the fidelity mode which kind of explains the rather muted visuals.

SH2 on the other hand looks great to me. unfortunately, it has a lot of RT noise in the forest areas so its possible its targeting a very low resolution. It will be curious to see how these games are received because one game is pushing fidelity while the other is pushing pixels.

SH2 is pretty much ruined by those awful animations which havent been fixed since the gameplay reveal trailer six months ago so this is what we are getting. This is why you dont give your remakes to fucking Bloober. UE5 might have helped them with graphics, but its clear their animation work is still fucking trash.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Black Myth isnt perfect btw. The latest DF direct today mentions how its still using the very first version of UE5. So none of the performance improvements from 5.2 and especially 5.4. This is where the small size of the team hurts. We've already seen some silly decisions made in the PS5 port like not capping the 30 and 40 fps modes, using fsr instead of tsr, and using framegen to get to 60 fps despite AMD telling gamers not to do it. And now it looks like they just didnt have the time to rebuild their game on the latest build or even the year old build that also added nanite foliage.

i hope they go back and do something about this because the performance would get a substantial boost. iirc, UE5.4 improved framerates by 30-50% in the city sample matrix demo.

I don't even comprehend how they did the geometry for all these levels, let alone tweak the engine to a more recent one hehe. Hopefully its such a success that they update it with engine upgrades, that would be neat.

I enjoy seeing stuff here that aren't photorealistic. I want to have games that strive to emulate renaissance paintings or perfectly depict Cowboy Bebop-styled anime.

bebop-anime-16353690633771.png
Same. I feel like people sometimes underestimate the importance of graphical leaps for stylized games too. It's easy to just brush these titles off as a 'cel shaded' game, but a cel shaded game from the PS2 gen does not look like a cel shaded game from the PS3 gen, which doesn't look like a cel shaded game from the PS4 gen, etc.

I actually saw an ad for a mobile Naruto game that went viral not long ago. It made me genuinely excited to see where these types of games can go next, graphically.

There's so much that has yet to be explored with shading, lighting, particle, and physics effects when it comes to stylized games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Star Wars Outlaws does not make a good first impression. very last gen visuals. im hoping things look better in the open world but the interiors look way worse than Callisto and Jedi Survivor. lighting too. I increased the RT settings to high something i did not do with avatar, but its still extremely meh. jumping animations and cutscenes look really dated.

Same. I feel like people sometimes underestimate the importance of graphical leaps for stylized games too. It's easy to just brush these titles off as a 'cel shaded' game, but a cel shaded game from the PS2 gen does not look like a cel shaded game from the PS3 gen, which doesn't look like a cel shaded game from the PS4 gen, etc.

I actually saw an ad for a mobile Naruto game that went viral not long ago. It made me genuinely excited to see where these types of games can go next, graphically.

There's so much that has yet to be explored with shading, lighting, particle, and physics effects when it comes to stylized games.

This.

Just to note, this was known before even DF pointed it out. This is an UE5.0 game, which makes it even more of a technical marvel as it is.

Toots

Gold Member
O

Only if you don't know what a rhetorical question is...thought you were smart huh
A rethorical question is one you don't need to answer, because it's obvious and everyone is supposed to agree on it.
Now let me ask you a rethorical question.
You cannot help but miss everytime, can you ?

i_mean

Banned
A rethorical question is one you don't need to answer, because it's obvious and everyone is supposed to agree on it.
Haha you need to go back to school or something...or better yet google is your friend and see the many uses of a rethorical question..you goof..good luck

SlimySnake

Haha you need to go back to school or something...or better yet google is your friend and see the many uses of a rethorical question..you goof..good luck
Cut it out you two. Or take it to PM.

SlimySnake

Ubisoft Twitter is working overtime to post some stunning shots of Star Wars Outlaws and its protagonist to show she's not ugly. (she's fugly in almost every cutscene ive seen so far including the cg one)

But I cant deny they look really good.

GWjtJO6WAAI1Uu0

GWfMlF6XoAA_HVe

GWfRuWWW0AAPx36

SlimySnake

Her nose is fucked, the real life model's isn't lol
the nose isnt even the worst part. her entire face model just looks ps3 quality. or at least it doesnt look like ps4 quality in cutscenes. the cutscene direction is piss poor in this game. every scene is poorly lit. there is almost no hero lighting on her in many shots. the camera composition is piss poor most of the time. i wouldnt be surprised if this was the first time someone was directing these scenes.

Massive needs to invest in character models, animations, facial animations, and cutscene direction instead of just pushing tech in the game world. All that work done on RT, open world level of detail and streaming, and no one cares because you gave them an easy target to shit on.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Even the cherry picked shot of the fucking protagonist has dogshit facial details compared to horizon less than tertiary characters with one line of dialogue...

Ubisoft need to invest in their character\face\digital acting tech because no amount of rtx and luxurious locations is ever gonna substitute solid models.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I don’t think they really wanted Kay to look like her irl actress, as she’s supposed to be a grungy vandal thief who lives and operates in the underworld. In-person, she looks fine to me 98% of the time, with the odd lighting or angle making her look weird. She isn’t GORGEOUS, she’s just… Normal lol.

I’m so damn excited for Warhammer 2, as an aside. Monday is a weird release date for a current gen AAA title, but nonetheless, it looks absolutely wild so far in the visual and tech department, AND it looks to be giving you a ton of content/a complete experience from the rip.

Like… Black Myth, Outlaws, and Warhammer 2 existing and being available at the same time? Current gen is rolling, guys. Finally I can work my system consistently and regularly lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I wanted to post this here because I think this fits. Sony is shutting down Concord a week after launch after disastrous sales. They are offering everyone refunds.

It's clear no one wants to play these GaaS trash games. Sony invested over half of their first party budget in GaaS games. Factions and another game from an ex-treyarch studio were cancelled last year. This makes 3 now. Bungie's Marathon is so bad that streamers refused to play it after the first couple of sessions. Helldivers 2 was a success but thats honestly a different kind of game and not exactly a GaaS title that has been in development for almost a decade. Way before Sony's current shift to GaaS.

We have been sitting here waiting for Sony to wow us all gen and despite some decent efforts from BP, Insomniac and GG, it's been lackluster overall. All because mother fuckers chasing fads that resulted in cancellations and games that are literally Dead on Arrival. This is inarguably the biggest flop of all time. All because some suit decided to chase overwatch and fortnite trends.

Let's hope industry and especially Sony learns from this, and especially learns from the massive success of Hogwarts, Elden Rings, Baldurs Gate, and Black Myth. The demand for Single player games is higher than ever. Some games do flop, but most quality single player games sell extremely well including Sony's own Spiderman 2 and GOW Ragnorak.

And lastly, almost all of these games are next gen only. There was no fucking reason to make any of these games cross gen. People who buy games on day one already have consoles. FFS. This industry is full of morons.

SlimySnake

Like… Black Myth, Outlaws, and Warhammer 2 existing and being available at the same time? Current gen is rolling, guys. Finally I can work my system consistently and regularly lol.
This year went from being absolutely shit to fucking amazing all of a sudden. Im going to get astro bot on friday and skip warhammer for now. black myth is such a great game that i dont just want to play it for graphics so im taking my time playing it.

Msamy

I wanted to post this here because I think this fits. Sony is shutting down Concord a week after launch after disastrous sales. They are offering everyone refunds.

It's clear no one wants to play these GaaS trash games. Sony invested over half of their first party budget in GaaS games. Factions and another game from an ex-treyarch studio were cancelled last year. This makes 3 now. Bungie's Marathon is so bad that streamers refused to play it after the first couple of sessions. Helldivers 2 was a success but thats honestly a different kind of game and not exactly a GaaS title that has been in development for almost a decade. Way before Sony's current shift to GaaS.

We have been sitting here waiting for Sony to wow us all gen and despite some decent efforts from BP, Insomniac and GG, it's been lackluster overall. All because mother fuckers chasing fads that resulted in cancellations and games that are literally Dead on Arrival. This is inarguably the biggest flop of all time. All because some suit decided to chase overwatch and fortnite trends.

Let's hope industry and especially Sony learns from this, and especially learns from the massive success of Hogwarts, Elden Rings, Baldurs Gate, and Black Myth. The demand for Single player games is higher than ever. Some games do flop, but most quality single player games sell extremely well including Sony's own Spiderman 2 and GOW Ragnorak.

And lastly, almost all of these games are next gen only. There was no fucking reason to make any of these games cross gen. People who buy games on day one already have consoles. FFS. This industry is full of morons.
Cunts at playstation management should be fierd or replaced after their shit plans

Last edited:

Xtib81

Even the cherry picked shot of the fucking protagonist has dogshit facial details compared to horizon less than tertiary characters with one line of dialogue...

Ubisoft need to invest in their character\face\digital acting tech because no amount of rtx and luxurious locations is ever gonna substitute solid models.
I can't think of a single Ubi game with decent facial modelling. No matter the IP and the studio, it Always looks subpar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom