• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
They were great last gen in Unity and Syndicate. But then again, this is when women were allowed to be pretty in video games.

tumblr_ndjwfteD941qlrh5po2_500.gif

tumblr_o1fjbmZ8Eb1r5pc6bo7_250.gif

CnhxItFXEAAa5SB
Bitch can give aloy a run for its money with those chipmunk cheeks in pic 3, she looks like 3 different persons in the span of 3 gifs :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Have a mixed fellling for this one

No mixed feelings about this. It looks absolutely atrocious. Someone in your thread called it a mobile game and it definitely has that look. i wouldnt be surprised if this was a mobile game because dragon age hinterlands looked better than this.

it looks cheap, dated and flat out ugly. i wouldnt be surprised if everyone who made Anthem quit at the end of that project and left.

Msamy

No mixed feelings about this. It looks absolutely atrocious. Someone in your thread called it a mobile game and it definitely has that look. i wouldnt be surprised if this was a mobile game because dragon age hinterlands looked better than this.

it looks cheap, dated and flat out ugly. i wouldnt be surprised if everyone who made Anthem quit at the end of that project and left.
Some sections in other trailers looks good but i truely dont know whats wrong with them some sections looks like a mobile game, 😔

DanielG165

I can't think of a single Ubi game with decent facial modelling. No matter the IP and the studio, it Always looks subpar.
Valhalla’s main cutscenes had very good facial work, honestly. Hell, the animation rigging in this scene is great across the board, thanks to the mocap work.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well the 3rd picture IS a different character.

Unity remains one of the best looking games of all time.
It looks great for its age.

But i feel like unity suffer from the arkham knight syndrome where people think they look much better than they do because recent ubisoft\wb output has being hit and miss to say the least.

Last edited:

Msamy

" flames have paved my way, through flames i should stray" black myth wukong (yaksha king) what a Masterpiece 😍😍 amazing experiense (goty for me)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

" flames have paved my way, through flames i should stray" black myth wukong (yaksha king) what a Masterpiece 😍😍 amazing experiense (goty for me)
the game has no business being actually good. After playing so many mediocre to bad games with great graphics (starfield, avatar, alan wake, hellblade 2, dragon age, and to a lesser extent ff7), its great to finally play a game i can enjoy while admiring graphics.

Honestly, the level of polish and quality is so high it feels like a sony first party game. i know its kind of odd to say because i shit on sony first party all the time, but sometimes this game produces a gorgeous looking area with incredible art design and cinematography ive only ever seen in rockstar and sony games.

Ehxqj7e.gif

This is a completely optional boss fight in a secret area and yet, it feels so moody and epic at the same time. The gif compression is removing all the little detail in the game too. Game actually looks better than this.

Msamy

the game has no business being actually good. After playing so many mediocre to bad games with great graphics (starfield, avatar, alan wake, hellblade 2, dragon age, and to a lesser extent ff7), its great to finally play a game i can enjoy while admiring graphics.

Honestly, the level of polish and quality is so high it feels like a sony first party game. i know its kind of odd to say because i shit on sony first party all the time, but sometimes this game produces a gorgeous looking area with incredible art design and cinematography ive only ever seen in rockstar and sony games.

Ehxqj7e.gif

This is a completely optional boss fight in a secret area and yet, it feels so moody and epic at the same time. The gif compression is removing all the little detail in the game too. Game actually looks better than this.
As you said finally a complete current gen true experiense, and a good choise to be the best looking game of all times up until now.

Ehxqj7e.gif

How does it have a 73 meta ;(

KXVXII9X

Ehxqj7e.gif

I thought this game felt more like a first part AAA Sony game too when watching all the trailers, especially the last few. This shot is insane...

SlimySnake

Still not that high

Seems like a disparity between gamers and critics on this one
I think Sony studios do get the storytelling right and do it way better than what we are seeing here. for one, they dont have a mute protagonist. So right off the bat, you are actually invested in the story. I am pretty sure thats why Sony games always end up in high 80s and low 90s because their storytelling and cutscene production values are light years ahead of everyone not named rockstar.

if this game had a real story instead of just a collection of some cool cutscenes with excellent cinematography, it wouldve scored higher.

I think Sony studios do get the storytelling right and do it way better than what we are seeing here. for one, they dont have a mute protagonist. So right off the bat, you are actually invested in the story. I am pretty sure thats why Sony games always end up in high 80s and low 90s because their storytelling and cutscene production values are light years ahead of everyone not named rockstar.

if this game had a real story instead of just a collection of some cool cutscenes with excellent cinematography, it wouldve scored higher.
Old rocksteady, old BioWare, old bungie, old wb Montreal, cd projekt red sometimes could hang with Sony’s best. But yeah since late 2010s, late ps4 gen it’s basically just playstation and rockstar

SlimySnake

Old rocksteady, old BioWare, old bungie, old wb Montreal, cd projekt red sometimes could hang with Sony’s best. But yeah since late 2010s, late ps4 gen it’s basically just playstation and rockstar
You can tell that the cutscene talent at Rocksteady is still there. Its by far the best thing about Suicide Squad. The characters are so rich in both characterization and visual design, it makes every cutscene a joy to watch. They also do these great montage style scenes every now and then and its like watching a big budget James Gunn movie. Really impressive stuff especially for a game that looks fairly cross gen. if they had gone for UE5, the cutscenes wouldve looked mind blowing.

CD project going with first person cutscenes in cybperunk was such a moronic decision.

I really like the cutscenes in FF16. FF7 rebirth's cutscenes look amazing but the characters act like mentally challenged people all the time, but FF16 cutscenes were so fucking awesome.

P.S Arkham origins cutscenes were amazing. Glad to see you are a fan too. Man that early to mid 2000s were an amazing time for video games. When Sony studios actually had some competition. RDR, mass effect 2, Batman AC, AO, AK, Witcher 3, The Order, AC Unity. So many different studios going toe to toe with Sony studios. Such a shame how it all fell apart and Sony became the defacto cutscene lead in the second half of that decade.

DanielG165

P.S Arkham origins cutscenes were amazing
Arkham Origins as a whole looked/looks incredible, and did some really cool things with physics that not many other games were doing at the time.

And then Arkham Knight came along and absolutely blew people away; it was the first truly “next gen” game for me of the 8th gen. It still very easily stands the test of time today, too, notably on PC where you can max out the game’s graphical potential. The fact that Rocksteady had a seamless open world with no load times after you got past the main menu, back in 2015, is incredibly impressive. The destructible environments with the Batmobile, the smoke physics, water simulation, cloth, cape, skin, and dangly accessory physics, and intelligent AI just to name a few… Arkham Knight was/is a tour de force in tech and graphics.

SlimySnake

Arkham Origins as a whole looked/looks incredible, and did some really cool things with physics that not many other games were doing at the time.

And then Arkham Knight came along and absolutely blew people away; it was the first truly “next gen” game for me of the 8th gen. It still very easily stands the test of time today, too, notably on PC where you can max out the game’s graphical potential. The fact that Rocksteady had a seamless open world with no load times after you got past the main menu, back in 2015, is incredibly impressive. The destructible environments with the Batmobile, the smoke physics, water simulation, cloth, cape, skin, and dangly accessory physics, and intelligent AI just to name a few… Arkham Knight was/is a tour de force in tech and graphics.
This scene in Akrham Origins is still my favorite scene in the franchise. it has a very Breaking Bad 'I AM the Danger' feel to it. I love how raw this Batman felt, brutal and scary.

Arkham knight looks great on PC but PS5 still has better rain. The nvidia enhanced rain really doesnt look as thick as the standard rain on PS5.

yeah...not much left of the visual splendor if you have actual minute to minute gameplay.
Doesn`t look bad by any means, but it`s nothing to write home about either. Purely technologically speaking this is thoroughly "meh".

I mean, that's the PS5 version... running at 60fps, the native res is probably in the 1200~1400p area. So it'll never look pristine.

I mean, that's the PS5 version... running at 60fps, the native res is probably in the 1200~1400p area. So it'll never look pristine.
the IQ is not the issue. Previews are out and the PC version doesn`t look that much better. It`s solid, nothing more. Though your visual impression may vary depending on how much of a Warhammer fan you are, beyond the artstyle and the creator`s attention to detail the underlying tech and most of the production level (animations/asset diversity and quality etc) is bog standard AA which isn`t meant negatively.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

the IQ is not the issue. Reviews are out and the PC version doesn`t look that much better. It`s solid, nothing more. Though your visual impression may vary depending on how much of a Warhammer fan you are, beyond the artstyle and the creator`s attention to detail the underlying tech and most of the production level (animations/asset diversity and quality etc) is bog standard AA which isn`t meant negatively.
wait till you see it on your pc.

or at least in ps5's quality mode.

yeah...not much left of the visual splendor if you have actual minute to minute gameplay.
Doesn`t look bad by any means, but it`s nothing to write home about either. Purely technologically speaking this is thoroughly "meh".

I recall a DF video where they said it's not using any next gen tech either ...no RT ..

DanielG165

Heavy disagree on Space Marine 2. I personally think the game, from the footage I’ve seen of the PC build especially, looks pretty damn spicy. Horde of enemies is impressive, but the visuals genuinely look current gen as hell.

Like, that is bonkers.

SlimySnake

Man Star Wars Outlaws is just not impressing me at all. Got to the first open world area. looked ok, nothing special. then went to the market area and i swear it looks really dated somehow. the asset quality is just so last gen. materials too.

I then decided to turn all settings to ultra, push dlss to quality and lock framerate to 30 and still nothing. not sure what is going on, but I am thoroughly unimpressed.

callisto, star wars jedi, and starfield interiors looked way better to me.

DanielG165

Man Star Wars Outlaws is just not impressing me at all. Got to the first open world area. looked ok, nothing special. then went to the market area and i swear it looks really dated somehow. the asset quality is just so last gen. materials too.

I then decided to turn all settings to ultra, push dlss to quality and lock framerate to 30 and still nothing. not sure what is going on, but I am thoroughly unimpressed.

Interesting, and fair enough! I don’t know what my eyes are seeing, but I’ve so far been thoroughly impressed by the visuals here. Maybe the game will impress you more as you go along, but if not, at least you went and saw it with your own eyes.

Flabagast

Tbh after playing Wukong nearly every other games looks a gen behind, it's crazy.

Fuck, the recent video of Dragon age looks like 360 era. Wukong is pushing so much more polygons with clearly better lighting and scene composition all around.

Bitstream

Like, that is bonkers.
Since the start of the gen, only Demons Souls and Senua have looked truly next level. Right now, Warhammer looks to be the new graphical benchmark. Doing this many characters on screen at once without it turning to pixel soup is a feat in and of itself. On a top end rig, this is presenting CGI level quality.

edited to call out other great graphics - alan wake 2, stellar blade, avatar and star wars also look great, but less 'complete' feeling than the other games, as well as their initial trailers for each respective game, ubisoft always lies.

Wukong is incredible

*revisiting this post warhammer launch*

good god, the volumetric detail got destroyed and the human faces are nearly ps3 quality at times, Wukong still graphics king

Last edited:
Heavy disagree on Space Marine 2. I personally think the game, from the footage I’ve seen of the PC build especially, looks pretty damn spicy. Horde of enemies is impressive, but the visuals genuinely look current gen as hell.

Like, that is bonkers.

That's what it is then, the PC version does look great and so much better than console ...just like all the recent games ive seen the divide between PC and console is REALLY showing lately ...Black Myth and Outlaws and now this

GymWolf

Gold Member

I told you it was nowhere near avatar, no matter the amount of cherry picked gifs and pics posted in here...but i guess that having me on ignore kinda make the communication harder :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Always said that it wasn't quote playing with the other big boys, sad to be always right :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

CGNoire

Same. I feel like people sometimes underestimate the importance of graphical leaps for stylized games too. It's easy to just brush these titles off as a 'cel shaded' game, but a cel shaded game from the PS2 gen does not look like a cel shaded game from the PS3 gen, which doesn't look like a cel shaded game from the PS4 gen, etc.

I actually saw an ad for a mobile Naruto game that went viral not long ago. It made me genuinely excited to see where these types of games can go next, graphically.

There's so much that has yet to be explored with shading, lighting, particle, and physics effects when it comes to stylized games.

Also Polygon Count is super important for Cellshading since you cant rely on Normal maps. Dont even get me started on the poly and physics requirements if we want cellshaded cloths to animate anywhere close to the fidelity of there 2d traditional counterparts.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Interesting, and fair enough! I don’t know what my eyes are seeing, but I’ve so far been thoroughly impressed by the visuals here. Maybe the game will impress you more as you go along, but if not, at least you went and saw it with your own eyes.
From your post i can tell that you are easier to please than us old fucks yelling at textures in this topic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(Not a knock on you buddy)

GymWolf

Gold Member
I low key wish I didn't even know or notice aliasing, pop in, framerate etc.. ^^
In a way i'm super lucky because i can't notice rtx stuff most of the time so i don't care much when games have shit light systems :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
Top Bottom