• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Toots

Gold Member
Oly1L9v.gif
My bad, i forgot the first rule of cripple fight club :
don't argue with an edgy retard
I can't think of a single Ubi game with decent facial modelling. No matter the IP and the studio, it Always looks subpar.
Far cry 3 when it came out was pretty advanced in terms of facial modeling wasn't it ? (and everything else especially physics)
I remember a lot of outlets talking about Vaas insanity speach, how well acted it was and how they managed to capture the actors likeness.
Granted that was in 2012 and they do not seem to have made much progress since, but at the time it was near the top of the industry if i remember correctly.

Lethal01

It's clear no one wants to play these GaaS trash games. Sony invested over half of their first party budget in GaaS games. Factions and another game from an ex-treyarch studio were cancelled last year. This makes 3 now.

Helldivers was a huge success and adored until sony begged people not to play it.
Valves new first person shooter dota is also getting nothing but love.

The lesson is people want good game and when so many of them come out, some are gonna fial

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Star Wars Outlaws looks spectacular. What a difference Ray Tracing makes on lighting! The next 5 years of gaming will be a joy. Also, the game is extremely broken and undercooked in some massive (pun) ways, but it’s really fun actually! Charming story.
God i hate the lighting in interiors. Everyone talks about realtime GI removing light leaks but i truly hate how the entire scene takes on neon lights inside clubs and indoor markets in Outlaws. Every object takes on the color of the light next to it which should sound good on paper but it looks like a hodgepodge of rainbow colors with no rhyme or reason.

Not to mention the material and asset quality are a generation behind games like Jedi survivor and callisto. the metals are lacking that next gen reflection. most walls look flat and ugly despite taking on lights. the only time the game looked next gen was here. but its a small 10 foot long checkpoint after which the game goes back to looking last gen. hopefully, they have you go into some more of these imperial bases with shiny floors and metallic interiors.

qxnmOYB.jpeg

I even turned on RTXDI and it barely made a difference. Slightly better shadows but the overall look is the same. We need better materials indoors. We need better rocks. We need better wall textures. Better pipes. Better volumetric effects. better everything.

The problem is that while Avatar had these same issues with interiors, the game took place outdoors 90% of the time so it didnt matter. Almost the entire game so far has been in these really ugly looking settlements. Dated as fuck.

Massive needs to update their engine to support more than just ray tracing. When starfield has better interiors than you then you have to reevaluate your engine.

GymWolf

Gold Member
God i hate the lighting in interiors. Everyone talks about realtime GI removing light leaks but i truly hate how the entire scene takes on neon lights inside clubs and indoor markets in Outlaws. Every object takes on the color of the light next to it which should sound good on paper but it looks like a hodgepodge of rainbow colors with no rhyme or reason.

Not to mention the material and asset quality are a generation behind games like Jedi survivor and callisto. the metals are lacking that next gen reflection. most walls look flat and ugly despite taking on lights. the only time the game looked next gen was here. but its a small 10 foot long checkpoint after which the game goes back to looking last gen. hopefully, they have you go into some more of these imperial bases with shiny floors and metallic interiors.

qxnmOYB.jpeg

I even turned on RTXDI and it barely made a difference. Slightly better shadows but the overall look is the same. We need better materials indoors. We need better rocks. We need better wall textures. Better pipes. Better volumetric effects. better everything.

The problem is that while Avatar had these same issues with interiors, the game took place outdoors 90% of the time so it didnt matter. Almost the entire game so far has been in these really ugly looking settlements. Dated as fuck.

Massive needs to update their engine to support more than just ray tracing. When starfield has better interiors than you then you have to reevaluate your engine.
Several times i turned on and off the rtx stuff and i barely see a fucking difference other than losing half my frames.

Meanwhile sony first party studio creates a big ip game like that
UEKIFU8.jpeg
zZMk2K1.jpeg
Why is it so hard to understand that smaller games in scope like The Order, Ryse, Robocop, Hellblade II, Wukong and lots of Walking SIms have far, far more time poured into their visuals and animations versus games that have full open Worlds which need to be filled (in Spider-Man 2's case) with 1000x the art assets, 100's of activities, 21 side quests, 32 main missions and all the cut scenes that go along with the main story?

It's really not a difficult point to grasp. Despite that SM2 still looks great to 99% of people who played it.

Xtib81

Just gonna leave these here. Not all of these are UE5 titles but the material work is spectacular and what i expected from Star Wars outlaws interiors.

NKuq4Nl.gif

jCUUaI6.gif

Xq4zvpL.gif

really hoping Star Wars just makes a bad first impression and improves going forward.
What game is the first gif from?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

yeah...not much left of the visual splendor if you have actual minute to minute gameplay.
Doesn`t look bad by any means, but it`s nothing to write home about either. Purely technologically speaking this is thoroughly "meh".

Nahh. This is the shitty 60fps performance mode, where good graphics go to die. Graphic whores in this thread should not be playing it in that mode.

Go watch the 30fps footage, its night and day. It looks fucking great! Right up there with Wukon and the rest of the best this year.

I mean look at this footage, PC version,

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nahh. This is the shitty 60fps performance mode, where good graphics go to die. Graphic whores in this thread should not be playing it in that mode.

Go watch the 30fps footage, its night and day. It looks fucking great! Right up there with Wukon and the rest of the best this year.

I mean look at this footage, PC version,

Graphic whores have a powerful pc so they don't have to renounce to nothing and they play at 60 fps while still having better graphic than quality mode on console, just saying.

SlimySnake

Why is it so hard to understand that smaller games in scope like The Order, Ryse, Robocop, Hellblade II, Wukong and lots of Walking SIms have far, far more time poured into their visuals and animations versus games that have full open Worlds which need to be filled (in Spider-Man 2's case) with 1000x the art assets, 100's of activities, 21 side quests, 32 main missions and all the cut scenes that go along with the main story?

It's really not a difficult point to grasp. Despite that SM2 still looks great to 99% of people who played it.
Wukong is not a smaller game in scope lmao

Besides, Spiderman 2 is literally reusing the same city as the first game 5 years later. I am sorry, but thats no excuse to not upgrade your assets to next gen standards when you are charging $70 for your next game.

Represent.

Graphic whores have a powerful pc so they don't have to renounce to nothing and they play at 60 fps while still having better graphic than quality mode on console, just saying.
I refuse to invest in PC gaming until devs start actually taking advantage of the extra horse power, instead of console ports.

If games were built from the ground up around 4090’s we would have damn near avatar (movie) graphics on PC right now

SlimySnake

This is disappointing. They downgraded the volumetric lighting in Space Marine even on PC.

I really dont understand this. Just add it as a toggle on PC. It adds so much to the game. Without these volumetric effects, i dont think Callisto looks as good as it does, and yet time and time again, devs simply take this effect out.

The rest of the level is fairly similar so no further downgrades to lighting and asset quality, but those thick volumetric effects are gone from the forest level too. What a shame.

Senua

Gold Member
I refuse to invest in PC gaming until devs start actually taking advantage of the extra horse power, instead of console ports.

If games were built from the ground up around 4090’s we would have damn near avatar (movie) graphics on PC right now
Dude they are, Black Myth Wukong looks a shit ton better than PS5 version, not just IQ. Recent UE5 games are really pushing even 4090s right now. It's not just UE5 games either.

GymWolf

Gold Member

it's not about fully using the pc, that is never gonna happen, it's about playing games in their best form available.

Devs are never gonna develop around a gpu possesed by 100 people.

Represent.

Devs are never gonna develop around a gpu possesed by 100 people.
exactly. this pisses me off lol.
I wanna see what that thing can REALLY DO. The PS6 will essentially show us what a 4090 can really do

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
This is disappointing. They downgraded the volumetric lighting in Space Marine even on PC.

I really dont understand this. Just add it as a toggle on PC. It adds so much to the game. Without these volumetric effects, i dont think Callisto looks as good as it does, and yet time and time again, devs simply take this effect out.

The rest of the level is fairly similar so no further downgrades to lighting and asset quality, but those thick volumetric effects are gone from the forest level too. What a shame.

Yea that is noticeable, maybe a config/console tweak to return it? Annoying though

exactly. this pisses me off lol.
I wanna see what that thing can REALLY DO. The PS6 will essentially show us what a 4090 can really do

Lol by then a 6090 will be out to destroy what the PS6 can do. Just go get a high end PC my man like a true graphics whore.

Last edited:

DanielG165

From your post i can tell that you are easier to please than us old fucks yelling at textures in this topic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(Not a knock on you buddy)
No offense taken! It’s honestly impressive how well you all can intently study the visuals of a game. Don’t lose that standard/expectation. Outlaws looks genuinely fantastic to me when playing it, but someone else may feel differently, and that’s okay!

Bitstream

The THICC volumetrics were the thing that truly elevated this game, sad to see they are gone now. Why do games downgrade the quality of this at launch instead of leaving it as an adjustable option? Call it Volumetric Density : Extreme with a red text warning; if the engine can handle it, why not???!

Last edited:
Some people are not optimist about ps6 reaching 4090 perf.

I personally haveno idea.
PS6 not reaching 4090 level performance 3 years from now would be pretty disappointing.

That’d mean it’s not even 2x as powerful than the Pro….which itself is only ~50% more powerful than the base PS5 according to leaks.

A console coming out in 2027 that’s less powerful than the best GPU released 5 years prior…yeah that would be a disaster imo.

That’d be like if the PS5 was less powerful than the 980ti or Titan X (Maxwell) - the best GPU’s in 2015.

Then again… who knows. The PS5 Pro appears pretty disappointing when you compare it to how much of a leap the PS4 Pro was, and in less time too (3 years vs 4 years). However I think in this particular case, it’s mostly because the PS5 was a much more powerful system relative to PC when it released than the PS4 was. So the PS4 Pro had some extra room to impress.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yea that is noticeable, maybe a config/console tweak to return it? Annoying though
Who knows why devs do the things they do.

My guess is that it was faked like the TLOU2 e3 2018 demo. Probably added post capture or something like that.

Star Wars outlaws, ghost of tsushima, days Gone, all had similar downgrades to lighting systems. Fuck these devs.

DanielG165

Wukong is not a smaller game in scope lmao

Besides, Spiderman 2 is literally reusing the same city as the first game 5 years later. I am sorry, but thats no excuse to not upgrade your assets to next gen standards when you are charging $70 for your next game.
At all lol, I don’t know where that notion stemmed from. If anything, it has a LARGER scope than SM2, yet looks like it came out 5 years after Spider-Man, instead of 1.

SlimySnake

PS6 not reaching 4090 level performance 3 years from now would be pretty disappointing.

That’d mean it’s not even 2x as powerful than the Pro….which itself is only ~50% more powerful than the base PS5 according to leaks.

A console coming out in 2027 that’s less powerful than the best GPU released 5 years prior…yeah that would be a disaster imo.

That’d be like if the PS5 was less powerful than the 980ti or Titan X (Maxwell) - the best GPU’s in 2015.

Then again….the who knows. The PS5 Pro appears pretty disappointing when you compare it to how much of a leap the PS4 Pro was, and in less time too (3 years vs 4 years). However I think in this particular case, it’s mostly because the PS5 was a much more powerful system relative to PC when it released than the PS4 was. So the PS4 Pro had some extra room to impress.
PS6 will likely launch in 2028, a year later than usual. MS has effectively conceded the console market to Sony. And so has Nintendo. Sony wont release a console sooner than they have to. They are already a year late to the Pro.

Also, 4090 is only 3x more powerful in standard rasterization. its anywhere between 5.5x-6x more powerful when it comes to RT and even more if you start adding DLSS capabilities to the mix.

Who knows what these guys are cooking up in 2028? Back in 2015, no one though realtime ray tracing would be possible then when Nvidia started charging $700 for a 2080 in 2018, no one though Sony and MS would have consoles that could do that for $500. Things change.

My guess is that there will be some kind of AI revolution in the hardware space in the next few years. It will help take the load off the GPU and maybe even the CPU. So even if there is only 3x more compute power, it might be able to do more.

The Pro has already improved RT speeds by 2-4x and added AI upscaling so who knows what they will do in another 4 years.

DanielG165

Such will likely never happen, as building a game around the highest common denominator with the lowest install base wouldn’t make logistical, nor financial sense. That’s why tech-heavy games instead often have things in-place that “future-proof” them, so that once more people can save up and treat themselves to better hardware, they’ll get to have an even prettier experience.

PS6 will likely launch in 2028, a year later than usual. MS has effectively conceded the console market to Sony. And so has Nintendo. Sony wont release a console sooner than they have to. They are already a year late to the Pro.

Also, 4090 is only 3x more powerful in standard rasterization. its anywhere between 5.5x-6x more powerful when it comes to RT and even more if you start adding DLSS capabilities to the mix.

Who knows what these guys are cooking up in 2028? Back in 2015, no one though realtime ray tracing would be possible then when Nvidia started charging $700 for a 2080 in 2018, no one though Sony and MS would have consoles that could do that for $500. Things change.

My guess is that there will be some kind of AI revolution in the hardware space in the next few years. It will help take the load off the GPU and maybe even the CPU. So even if there is only 3x more compute power, it might be able to do more.

The Pro has already improved RT speeds by 2-4x and added AI upscaling so who knows what they will do in another 4 years.
I think this suggests that we should change our definition of what's more powerful by then. The PS5 can do everything the 4090 does as long as you tank the resolution, but since the RT is so much more performant that's just not gonna happen here. If PS6 was generationally faster in RT and AI performance but similar in raster, there would definitely be a big leap over the 4090 either way.

Last edited:

mrqs

Insane to me how hard can it be to just simulate some cloth physics in games. Was it so expensive that they had to remove it from the final game? The piece of cloth covering his butt still moves but it has much less complexity to it.

I really think that physic-based interactions is too underrated in games.

mrqs

Just gonna leave these here. Not all of these are UE5 titles but the material work is spectacular and what i expected from Star Wars outlaws interiors.

NKuq4Nl.gif

jCUUaI6.gif

Xq4zvpL.gif

really hoping Star Wars just makes a bad first impression and improves going forward.

I usually tend to agree with your posts, but not so much here. Callisto looks good but didn't wow me as much as I thought it would, probably because it's too static and stale.

Also, I play games only on Xbox/PS5, and Jedi Survivor looks like absolute ass there, not sure if it's much better on PC. The global illumination on Outlaws does a much better job on making things feel like they belong there. Several scenes on Jedi Survivor were completely flat for me.

I love how this looks:

VcqzI9b.jpeg

SlimySnake

I usually tend to agree with your posts, but not so much here. Callisto looks good but didn't wow me as much as I thought it would, probably because it's too static and stale.

Also, I play games only on Xbox/PS5, and Jedi Survivor looks like absolute ass there, not sure if it's much better on PC. The global illumination on Outlaws does a much better job on making things feel like they belong there. Several scenes on Jedi Survivor were completely flat for me.

I love how this looks:

VcqzI9b.jpeg
I really dont like those rocks lol

lighting is ok but too cartoony after wukong.

mrqs

I really dont like those rocks lol

lighting is ok but too cartoony after wukong.

Yeah, my biggest complaint is the texture work. Also, the depth blur effect is horrendous. Nonetheless, ray tracing being a standard for games, lightning is a big step up! By the end of this decade, it'll be glorious. Something I hate on Jedi: Survivor is how lacking the lighting can be at places. When people have to manually get stuff lit, lots of areas suffer from the lack of time to polish. Little by little, it's becoming a thing of the past, though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I love how this looks:

VcqzI9b.jpeg

Am I in the twilight zone!? that is a blurry muddy looking mess. its even worse in motion.

SlimySnake

Its simply this:

And you choose SweetFX when installing:
cbZhiC0.png

Ingame you choose the Fake HDR Preset.

More screenshots:
x0JGQN3.jpeg

sNWUHK6.jpeg
wow this made such a huge difference. thanks!

i had HDR turned off because of black myth and couldnt believe how washed out it looked in comparison. then i turned on HDR and it still looked washed out. the open world does look great now. indoor areas still look meh with some really muddy looking textures and assets.

HDR Off vs Reshade On

LCQ3eJu.gif

HDR On vs Reshade On

yJ7uDVl.gif

i still dont think it looks like a generational upgrade over HFW like Avatar did, but its a very good looking game in the open world. especially this area with the reshade on.

zBCSrNu.gif

Last edited:

Represent.

Man, Wukon is fucking good. I cant believe a game like this even exists, really - We literally never get a character action game with top of the line visuals aside from when GOW comes out, or Ninja Gaiden back in 2004. The fact that this is their first fucking (real) game is insane, I can excuse all faults, first real game. Imagine how much better these guys will get as they keep making more games, adding polish, etc. Game Science studio is on the damn map.

Last edited:
wow this made such a huge difference. thanks!

i had HDR turned off because of black myth and couldnt believe how washed out it looked in comparison. then i turned on HDR and it still looked washed out. the open world does look great now. indoor areas still look meh with some really muddy looking textures and assets.

HDR Off vs Reshade On

LCQ3eJu.gif

HDR On vs Reshade On

yJ7uDVl.gif

i still dont think it looks like a generational upgrade over HFW like Avatar did, but its a very good looking game in the open world. especially this area with the reshade on.

zBCSrNu.gif

The indoors are arguably the best part with RT gi .. textures look great and im on SX ..i don't get your take on this one

SlimySnake

How does this not look good to you??
It does. That screenshot of his is what made me try out the reshade in the first place.

The indoors are arguably the best part with RT gi .. textures look great and im on SX ..i don't get your take on this one
I will do a comparison with the reveal trailer tomorrow. That area used to look great. Now it seems like you are in a disco with all different neon lights just filling the screen making it ugly.

Top Bottom