• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
No offense taken! It’s honestly impressive how well you all can intently study the visuals of a game. Don’t lose that standard/expectation. Outlaws looks genuinely fantastic to me when playing it, but someone else may feel differently, and that’s okay!
The game can look great at times, but for example, yesterday i unlocked the cutscene with
lando
, and i swear on the most sacred thing i have, his model\face\acting was WAY below ps4 launch titles, black dude in kz shadow fall absolutely destroy lando...

How do you fuck up such a character in what ubisoft call AAAA?

Lethal01

God i hate the lighting in interiors. Everyone talks about realtime GI removing light leaks but i truly hate how the entire scene takes on neon lights inside clubs and indoor markets in Outlaws. Every object takes on the color of the light next to it which should sound good on paper but it looks like a hodgepodge of rainbow colors with no rhyme or reason.

Not to mention the material and asset quality are a generation behind games like Jedi survivor and callisto. the metals are lacking that next gen reflection. most walls look flat and ugly despite taking on lights. the only time the game looked next gen was here. but its a small 10 foot long checkpoint after which the game goes back to looking last gen. hopefully, they have you go into some more of these imperial bases with shiny floors and metallic interiors.

qxnmOYB.jpeg

I even turned on RTXDI and it barely made a difference. Slightly better shadows but the overall look is the same. We need better materials indoors. We need better rocks. We need better wall textures. Better pipes. Better volumetric effects. better everything.

The problem is that while Avatar had these same issues with interiors, the game took place outdoors 90% of the time so it didnt matter. Almost the entire game so far has been in these really ugly looking settlements. Dated as fuck.

Massive needs to update their engine to support more than just ray tracing. When starfield has better interiors than you then you have to reevaluate your engine.

Wow this looks instanely good

Lethal01

This is disappointing. They downgraded the volumetric lighting in Space Marine even on PC.

I really dont understand this. Just add it as a toggle on PC. It adds so much to the game. Without these volumetric effects, i dont think Callisto looks as good as it does, and yet time and time again, devs simply take this effect out.

The rest of the level is fairly similar so no further downgrades to lighting and asset quality, but those thick volumetric effects are gone from the forest level too. What a shame.

Just a guess , perhaps something along the lines of, the effect took manual rok to do to shey though it wasn't worth it when they realizetd htey couldnt get it to work with stable performance.

H . R . 2

I found a video of the behind-the-scene footage of that impressive Metahuman showcase that we were discussing many pages ago
this demo never ceases to amaze me.
this is the level of cutscene visual fidelity and facial capture quality I expect from 1st party titles later this gen [ND's new IP and Fable]

such an impressive and beautiful showcase of MH's capabilities. if only devs could actually harness its capabilities for real-time gameplay

Marvel: 1943 might change things

EDIT: note that these guys are cinematographers first and foremost, and proper cinematography, in my opinion, has been absent from gaming in 80 percent of recent titles

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I found a video of the behind-the-stage footage of that impressive Metahuman showcase that we were discussing many pages ago
this is the level of cutscene visual fidelity and facial capture quality I expect from 1st party titles later this gen [ND's new IP and Fable]

and this is the "incredible looking" outlaws character fidelity

And this is my dude sinclair from ps4 launch kz shadowfall

christopher-brandstrom-kz4-sinclair2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe it's fixable like the shit textures with a different reshade...

Last edited:

RavionUHD

Do you think the PS5 Pro will achieve something like this? Looks nice.
Im playing in 3440*1440P with 1,78 DLDSR, thats 4857*1920, which is a higher pixel density than 4K.
And Im using a RTX 4080 with Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

The PS5 Pro is using something equivalent to a RX 7700XT, which is far slower than a RTX 4080, and much much slower in terms of Raytracing power.
So using RTXDI is pretty much impossible, and the high pixel density also doesnt work with the raw power the PS5 Pro will have, also there is no DLDSR and DLSS (but I would guess PSSR will be better than FSR3).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im playing in 3440*1440P with 1,78 DLDSR, thats 4857*1920, which is a higher pixel density than 4K.
And Im using a RTX 4080 with Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

The PS5 Pro is using something equivalent to a RX 7700XT, which is far slower than a RTX 4080, and much much slower in terms of Raytracing power.
So using RTXDI is pretty much impossible, and the high pixel density also doesnt work with the raw power the PS5 Pro will have, also there is no DLDSR and DLSS (but I would guess PSSR will be better than FSR3).
Yeah, Downsampling adds a lot to the image quality. I remember playing a bunch of PS4 Pro games on my 1080p tv getting downsampled from 1620p or 4kcb and I was blown away by how pristine the image quality was. I was kind of disappointed when i bought an expensive 4k tv and the same games didnt look as clean because now they were half res instead of double res.
I found a video of the behind-the-scene footage of that impressive Metahuman showcase that we were discussing many pages ago

such an impressive and beautiful showcase of MH's capabilities. if only devs could actually harness its capabilities for real-time gameplay

Marvel: 1943 might change things

EDIT: note that these guys are cinematographers first and foremost, and proper cinematography, in my opinion, has been absent from gaming in 80 percent of recent titles

I was watching an interview with Ridley Scott from back in 1982 when he was on a press tour for Blade Runner and the interviewer asked him if he felt pressured into making movie look even better than Alien and Star Wars. And not just in terms of special effects. he said yes, just as much as having a good script. This is back when Hollywood was first starting out with pushing special effects and the directors knew they had to keep pushing. The 90s werent an accident, guys like Ridley, Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, and James Cameron kept pushing the tech as much as possible that led to the CGi boom in the 90s.

Video Games were the same until the first half of this gen when the Spielberg's and Ridleys of our industry just decided to phone it in. Just shocking.

I'm not an Alex from DF basher but I really do not understand his praise for character models in that game, like at all.
Hopefully, this makes you understand why we dislike him despite his expertise in other areas. He's simply not consistent and has a literal blind spot for games/devs he has a soft spot for.

I like a lot of the tech here. I am a big Avatar fan, but they fucked up the cutscenes in that game and are doing the same here. They need to invest in better cutscene directors and tech.

GymWolf

Gold Member
C
Yeah, Downsampling adds a lot to the image quality. I remember playing a bunch of PS4 Pro games on my 1080p tv getting downsampled from 1620p or 4kcb and I was blown away by how pristine the image quality was. I was kind of disappointed when i bought an expensive 4k tv and the same games didnt look as clean because now they were half res instead of double res.

I was watching an interview with Ridley Scott from back in 1982 when he was on a press tour for Blade Runner and the interviewer asked him if he felt pressured into making movie look even better than Alien and Star Wars. And not just in terms of special effects. he said yes, just as much as having a good script. This is back when Hollywood was first starting out with pushing special effects and the directors knew they had to keep pushing. The 90s werent an accident, guys like Ridley, Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, and James Cameron kept pushing the tech as much as possible that led to the CGi boom in the 90s.

Video Games were the same until the first half of this gen when the Spielberg's and Ridleys of our industry just decided to phone it in. Just shocking.

Hopefully, this makes you understand why we dislike him despite his expertise in other areas. He's simply not consistent and has a literal blind spot for games/devs he has a soft spot for.

I like a lot of the tech here. I am a big Avatar fan, but they fucked up the cutscenes in that game and are doing the same here. They need to invest in better cutscene directors and tech.
Compared to hfw, the whole fucking industry need to take a look at their chitchat tech between characters.

They are ALL a gen behind, literally.

Cyberpunk is the one the get remotely close but still not there.

If guerrilla can go from fucking zero dawn that was worse than witcher 3 to fw, anyone can do it.

Last edited:
C

Compared to hfw, the whole fucking industry need to take a look at their chitchat tech between characters.

They are ALL a gen behind, literally.

Cyberpunk is the one the get remotely close but still not there.

If guerrilla can go from fucking zero dawn that was worse than witcher 3 to fw, anyone can do it.
Frankly Guerrilla is probably the studio which from a purely technical point of view where I most want to see the next single player game when we see the gap between Zero Dawn and HFW on things like motion capture for the different NPCs. I imagine they will want to flex their muscles on things like lod management or lighting which were among the weak points of HFW. They also teased about Raytracing in an interview for DF.

I know they have very ambitious plans for the Decima so I'm looking forward to seeing that and DS2 will allow us to see the evolution of the engine over two, three years.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Frankly Guerrilla is probably the studio which from a purely technical point of view where I most want to see the next single player game when we see the gap between Zero Dawn and HFW on things like motion capture for the different NPCs. I imagine they will want to flex their muscles on things like lod management or lighting which were among the weak points of HFW. They also teased about Raytracing in an interview for DF.

I know they have very ambitious plans for the Decima so I'm looking forward to seeing that and DS2 will allow us to see the evolution of the engine over two, three years.
IF buddah exist, horizon 3 is gonna dislocate jaws all around.

I only hope they don't focus only on rtx stuff and they also give a serious upgrade to their texture work and assets, who knows if a ps5 has enough rendering budget for both...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think they have done a great job upgrading the character models in DS2. Apparently RTGI is also in. But the rocks and ground level detail is still not as impressive. This looks a lot like star wars in that they have upgraded the lighting engine, the draw distance is amazing, but the assets are still not on par with what Epic is doing with UE5.

fs01KYo.gif
LLyBXWo.gif

2Qf2NNf.gif
WxUYAap.gif

I suspect UE5 might not be topped until next gen. Massive is also using mesh shaders but they cant come close to the fidelity seen in UE5 games. Same goes for FF7 rebirth and Alan Wake 2, both of which also uses mesh shaders and still cant compete with Nanite.

Lets see what other Sony studios are cooking up. Ghost 2 should be getting revealed this month with the Pro, but i think nanite is just some secret sauce no one else is going to be able to master for a while.

Luipadre

I think they have done a great job upgrading the character models in DS2. Apparently RTGI is also in. But the rocks and ground level detail is still not as impressive. This looks a lot like star wars in that they have upgraded the lighting engine, the draw distance is amazing, but the assets are still not on par with what Epic is doing with UE5.

fs01KYo.gif
LLyBXWo.gif

2Qf2NNf.gif
WxUYAap.gif

I suspect UE5 might not be topped until next gen. Massive is also using mesh shaders but they cant come close to the fidelity seen in UE5 games. Same goes for FF7 rebirth and Alan Wake 2, both of which also uses mesh shaders and still cant compete with Nanite.

Lets see what other Sony studios are cooking up. Ghost 2 should be getting revealed this month with the Pro, but i think nanite is just some secret sauce no one else is going to be able to master for a while.

Oh man this game... Id buy the pro for this alone

DanielG165

I never do this, but I went ahead and got the “Gold” edition for Space Marine 2, and am downloading it now. I couldn’t wait until Monday (such a weird release date for a game like this), to hop in. Hopefully I’ll be able to report to you guys how it looks in person later on!

GymWolf

Gold Member
I never do this, but I went ahead and got the “Gold” edition for Space Marine 2, and am downloading it now. I couldn’t wait until Monday (such a weird release date for a game like this), to hop in. Hopefully I’ll be able to report to you guys how it looks in person later on!
Do you get to play today or like midnight?

H . R . 2

2621022_2_lg.jpg

Black Myth: Wukong Cost $70 Million And Over 6 Years of Development, 18 million units sold in 2 weeks

very sobering and humbling news that should put western and 1st party developers to shame.
turns out that game development is an art that requires talented and passionate people above all else

and they also managed to deliver graphics- and gameplay-wise

Last edited:

SlimySnake

2621022_2_lg.jpg

Black Myth: Wukong Cost $70 Million And Over 6 Years of Development, 18 million units sold in 2 weeks

very sobering and humbling news that should put western and 1st party developers to shame.
turns out that game development is an art that requires talented and passionate people above all else
they actually had only 20-30 devs when they made the first demo. they expanded to 130 devs after 2020.

Still, $300 million and 5 years for spiderman 2 and they didnt even bother changing the city assets. Crazy. $200 million for GOW and HFW and they are both last gen game recycling the same tech.

Pretty sure Sony is running a money laundering scheme because these numbers dont make much sense. Especially when Dutch sources put HFW at 110 euros, but Sony told FTC that it cost $200 million before marketing dollars. Either they are fudging the numbers for tax purposes or someone at these studios is scamming them blind.

SlimySnake

"Artificialy held back by consoles", he just can't help himself can he? Such a pseudo elitist diva.
hes getting toasted in the comments at least.

i4a5Wry.jpeg

I agree with the textures complaints. Something is clearly off here. Even Avatar rocks werent this blurry. I had to turn off all post processing filters to get a clean image too. Lots of RT noise on surfaces as well.

I also find it hilarious that the Path Traced mode is clearly broken according to Alex himself. Straight up drops below 30 fps at random times in the open world on a 4090. Also, the shadows arent really that great. He posts some really soft and blurry shadows saying that it is accurate. Well, we left those behind last gen. We want nice sharp shadows from RT. He was literally praising those shadows in Alan Wake 2's PT mode. Dude, they are clearly bugged. Stop trying to jerk off to PT all the time.

Lastly, PT doesnt even make that big of a difference here. I turned it on and off in multiple places and its slightly more accurate. Even black myth had a bigger difference than this because it doesnt have lumen reflections or Virtual shadow maps. This game has RT shadows and reflections even without PT.

GymWolf

Gold Member
they actually had only 20-30 devs when they made the first demo. they expanded to 130 devs after 2020.

Still, $300 million and 5 years for spiderman 2 and they didnt even bother changing the city assets. Crazy. $200 million for GOW and HFW and they are both last gen game recycling the same tech.

Pretty sure Sony is running a money laundering scheme because these numbers dont make much sense. Especially when Dutch sources put HFW at 110 euros, but Sony told FTC that it cost $200 million before marketing dollars. Either they are fudging the numbers for tax purposes or someone at these studios is scamming them blind.
No offense, but putting hfw and ragnarock in the same line is absurd, horizon literally use ue5 metahumans models, it has some nextgen tech in it.

Make no mistake, this is a GENERATIONAL difference

rNEYGC.jpg

A.png

hq720.jpg

star-wars-outlaws-kay-vess.jpg

hq720.jpg

lando-calirissian-sitting-at-a-bar-from-star-wars-outlaws.jpg

lrag57n6q2f91.jpg

ckstine

Finished Wukong NGP. Gotta say, in terms of asset quality and density, it was even more impressive than something like City Sample (Matrix UE5 thing), which is nuts. Also, it was just a really fun game. I can't wait to 100 it. There is really a staggering amount of content there, but it looks like it should be a tech demo or an uber-linear corridor shooter in terms of environmental detail. True photorealism has been achieved by what is basically an AA studio with a completely different development ideology than we have in the West. I can't wait for what's in store for UE5 games. Consistently impressive tech.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Finished Wukong NGP. Gotta say, in terms of asset quality and density, it was even more impressive than something like City Sample (Matrix UE5 thing), which is nuts. Also, it was just a really fun game. I can't wait to 100 it. There is really a staggering amount of content there, but it looks like it should be a tech demo or an uber-linear corridor shooter in terms of environmental detail. True photorealism has been achieved by what is basically an AA studio with a completely different development ideology than we have in the West. I can't wait for what's in store for UE5 games. Consistently impressive tech.
You were going so well until that part :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

just fucking with you

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
fair, fair. Close tho. There are times where it is pretty much indistinguishable, and it definitely looks CGI level, but no, not true photorealism. I was maybe fanboying
Cg is a very broad term, it definitely look like decently budget cg, but not god tier cg where you can't tell if it's true life or not like that famous video on yt "8 scenes that you thought were real" or some shit.

I think we are still light years from photorealism with a console hardware.

ckstine

Cg is a very broad term, it definitely look like decently budget cg, but not god tier cg where you can't tell if it's true life or not like that famous video on yt "8 scenes that you thought were real" or some shit.

I think we are still light years from photorealism with a console hardware.
Yeah that's what I meant. The best CGI is CGI you don't know is there, like Fincher movies. Go watch Zodiac or Mindhunter and tell me what is CGI. That man is a genius.

SlimySnake

What I find insane is just how many of the areas and boss fights are hidden behind obscure quests that I have consistently missed in every chapter. I just fought a dragon that is completely missable and yet hes in one of the most stunning areas in the game. lots of volumetric fog effects with stunning lighting and ground level detail simply unmatched by any game out there.

Chapter 4's underground caves are the first time where im not really that impressed. But even the outdoor areas are just beautiful. Its clear that a lot of love and effort went into these areas to make them look this pretty. I cant quite compare this to star wars or horizon because its a somewhat linear game, but something like GOW shouldve looked this good.
fair, fair. Close tho. There are times where it is pretty much indistinguishable, and it definitely looks CGI level, but no, not true photorealism. I was maybe fanboying
you are not. The game might not look completely photorealistic but its definitely going for that look. Play Wukong then pop in Star Wars, Avatar, FF7 rebirth or HFW and Black Myth looks a generation ahead because of the color choices made to make it look photorealistic whereas those other games are still going for that gamey look. it's why Matrix today still looks amazing, the lighting isnt just great on a technical level, it's the color corrections and art style that is aiming for photorealism that makes it look so damn next gen. of course, nanite is making it easier to sell that photorealistic dream but just like hellblade 2, devs have to be going for that non-gamey look. For some reason, no one other than Ninja Theory and a random chinese developer has gone for it.

I guess Marvel's 1943 is another but thats also a UE5 game. i wish Death Stranding 2 had also gone for this look.

GymWolf

Gold Member
DS2 is going for the photorealistic look, decima engine just doesn't have the texture quality and the geometry of ue5 to match hb2 and probably not even wukong.

DanielG165

I just want to say, graphics aside, Space Marine 2 is such an awesome game. It gives me 7th gen gaming vibes in that there’s no BS, no upselling, no half-baked nor half-released product smell here. It’s a fully fledged and content rich game that is just extremely fun to play, one that I’ll be hard pressed to put down tonight in order to get enough sleep for work in the morning.

As for the graphics: they look wonderful. Tons of detail, the lighting is excellent, the effects, from the blood splatter that remains on you for a while, to the explosions, and particles are all great as well. The cloth physics so far impress. There are indeed legit hordes of enemies that you can kill from a distance, as well as up close, and they all break apart satisfyingly. The interior spaces are also a standout for me, where the lighting is at its strongest, and all of the different metals and stones look fantastic. Everything is just… Sharp here.

One weakness, however, is in the faces and hair. Neither look impressively “current gen” to me, more higher quality DOOM Eternal, if that makes sense. They’re not bad at all, just not at the level of your HB2, Forbidden West, or Wukong. Space Marine 2 is also a pretty easy game to nearly max out for me. I’m running it at 1440p, all settings on high except for two that can go to Ultra (down to memory in my case), and with DLSS set to balanced. 60fps 99% of the time, and even 4K wasn’t too terrible either, just less consistent/choppier overall, though I could potentially swing it by setting DLSS to ultra performance, but I’m content where I’m at with it.

Awesome game so far.

DanielG165

Im shocked this game is so short...im all for 10-30 hour games depending on the type but for this type of game i was expecting 15-20 hours minimum
I mean, it’s a 12 hour long campaign at minimum, which will easily be longer with the way I typically play games. I’ve played for 2.6 hours tonight, yet have only reached another part of the first mission post-introduction, on the first planet. For something like this, like it’d become repetitive after the 15 hour mark. Plus, with how much DLC this game will be getting, it’ll have pretty substantial legs.

I mean, it’s a 12 hour long campaign at minimum, which will easily be longer with the way I typically play games. I’ve played for 2.6 hours tonight, yet have only reached another part of the first mission post-introduction, on the first planet. For something like this, like it’d become repetitive after the 15 hour mark. Plus, with how much DLC this game will be getting, it’ll have pretty substantial legs.

Hmm ...i play games really slowly too ...dlc story missions confirmed? ACG beat it in 9 hours and Jack Frags beat it in 6 and a half hours (which probably isn't indicative of true length but is concerning none the less)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hmm ...i play games really slowly too ...dlc story missions confirmed? ACG beat it in 9 hours and Jack Frags beat it in 6 and a half hours (which probably isn't indicative of true length but is concerning none the less)
9 to 6 hours is stupidly low for a 70 euros game.

And tbh, the more gameplay i watch of this thing, the less convinced i am about buying it, i feel like being a warhammer fanboy is more than 50% of the appeal of this game, like it was with hogwarts legacy.

Last edited:

Luipadre

9 to 6 hours is stupidly low for a 70 euros game.

And tbh, the more gameplay i watch of this thing, the less convinced i am about buying it, i feel like being a warhammer fanboy is more than 50% of the appeal of this game, like it was with hogwarts legacy.

There is pvp and replayable pve coop missions after campaign. But i agree that the game looks pretty shallow in terms of gameplay. Basically all you do is fighting againts hordes the whole time. Its a well made game and probably 40k fans dream, but i'll wait for sale and the pro to play it

Top Bottom