• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

dok1or

Playing KC: D with graphic tweaks and 30 mods and game looks fantastic! OK, NPC face animation is bad, main characters OK, but with global ilumination, improved draw distance and LOD, game look great!

53968226454_d290ca89a7_o.png

53971422943_462048f41e_o.png

53963962739_4da98d231f_o.png

Last edited:

Alex11

Man, for how shitty a game SW Outlaws is, the visuals are amazing, some scenes and some specific parts of a scenes look so good and a bit to the realistic side and it's very impressive being an open world.

This is my shot, it's at a shitty 4K Balanced with ray tracing mixed between medium and high, but it impressed me so. Not so much the whole scene, but more the left side with the tree and branches and stuff, that shit looks realistic, how the lighting interacts with the branches and leaves, the accuracy between the soft and sharp shadows, the colours.

IMO this proves that if you're going for a realistic or film like take, the lighting and colour are absolute.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man Wukong's final chapter and final secret boss fight blew me away. I will be talking about boss and level spoilers so please avoid this post if you dont want to read about it. No story spoilers, just ingame mechanics.

Final Warning.

Ok here we go.

Flying. These mad lads did it. I thought the flying sequence in the intro was just going to be a cutscene but the entire final area is a massive open world and you can fly around on your little cloud at insanely fast speeds. the graphics fidelity is toned down compared to the other levels and there is pop-in because they didnt implement nanite foliage but the lighting is still excellent and level is still full of excellent looking trees. And again, you are flying through insanely fast speeds. like 10-20 times the speed of flying/gliding in horizon and at least 2x faster than avatar. it looks great despite the visual flaws.

But it's the final few battles that are just mind blowing. Especially the secret final boss which is optional and something you have to tackle before the real final boss to see the true ending. A massive setpiece that is something i expected from gow3 after gow2 ended with kratos riding at the back of titans scaling up mount everest. these chinese devs delivered an amazing big setpiece fight where you take on not one but five titans at the same time on a mountain range and it fucking glorious. I have never seen a setpiece like this. it is gorgeous, it is full of scripted cutscenes, and yet it doesnt feel scripted because you have full control of the character.

It is what gow ragnorak shouldve been. It is the most impressive next gen setpiece ive ever played and i hope everyone plays through the game and all its secret content just to play that one boss fight. it is beyond impressive. We finally have next gen setpieces and i couldnt be happier.

the final boss is pretty impressive in terms of lighting but light on spectacle. still this whole boat ride was like watching a movie. Amazing lighting, great water, beautiful animations. Just perfect. This game is more than just fancy graphics, its a true audio visual masterpiece. If ND had made it, the entire industry would be slagging them off right now.

GXAOPjjXAAABXoP

I will just post one gif from that amazing setpiece. Its big but i didnt want to cut it up in many different clips because its crazy how seamlessly they stiched together scripted cutscenes and actual combat while having you fight multiple titans at once.

Z5w9ZAU.gif

Honeslty, this is why i play video games. I want to be wowed. I know stuff like this is in movies all the time but it feels hollow now more than ever due to the CG green screen fest most movies have become. Actually playing this is something else entirely. I feel like the devs were reading this thread for the last few years and gave us exactly what I've always wanted.

Man, for how shitty a game SW Outlaws is, the visuals are amazing, some scenes and some specific parts of a scenes look so good and a bit to the realistic side and it's very impressive being an open world.

This is my shot, it's at a shitty 4K Balanced with ray tracing mixed between medium and high, but it impressed me so. Not so much the whole scene, but more the left side with the tree and branches and stuff, that shit looks realistic, how the lighting interacts with the branches and leaves, the accuracy between the soft and sharp shadows, the colours.

IMO this proves that if you're going for a realistic or film like take, the lighting and colour are absolute.

RT gi

They rise salaries for their devteam, mainly lead devs, by a lot, its stupid of them but they do it out of fear of top "talent" leaving the studio for competitor company or making their own, on top of that especially durning pandemy all dev studios were employing above what was needed, dont know the reasons for it, but basically all big studios did it.

Remember especially in sony western AAA teams they now place huge role on DEI, so both hirings are bloated af with useless and less competent ppl, on top in their games top priority isnt making best quality game anymore, but to push woke agenda, that costs tons more too.

As a contrast (and since im polish;p) i show u robocop rouge city devteam/devtime
From the wiki

Game only needed 3years of dev time, coz there was 0 DEI hires and all the ppl were simply big fans of the IP, worked enthusiastically on it, polish salaries so roughly 4-5x lower from western dev salaries/
Thats why game made big profit even tho it didnt sell crazy good https://gamesensor.info/news/robocop_rogue_city_sales_first_week_on_steam
And yeh, game is only AA, so not big project, but it was budgeted smartly to achieve profitability, unlike many big western AAA projects.

Now at the same time spiderman's 2 mary jane was big downgrade, and there was reason for it

TLDR lead writer insterted herself(hence terrible mj looks downgrade in the sequel) into the game, on top huge pandering to the "strong independed woman" narrative and terrible actual story of the game, ofc all that with extremly high salary that baloons up game's budget- we didnt get that shit 10-15years ago.
In normal/sane company u would have head of the studio simply catch it and squash that artrocity in the bud, but with DEI/wokeness/pandering they cant/dont wanna say shit and game is made that way.

Holy shit. ..good find and that explains A LOT

SlimySnake

Good lord this shot. I wish these bases were insta stealth deaths because i wouldve loved to get into some shootouts in those ray traced corridors.

yep. AND rt shadows and reflections. A lot of times we equate reflections to mirror like reflections on shiny surfaces like the one above, but callisto opened my eyes to just how important reflections can be even for non-metallic assets. Shadows are also very important to selling that overall consistency that was lacking in so many open world games last gen.

like TLOU2 shows, you may not need them in every scene especially in linear games where devs can curate every single scene in a level until they achieve perfection, but in an open world, sometimes all these RT features come together to produce a very pleasing looking image.

This is one thing I was wrong about at the start of this gen. I just didnt think RT was worth the performance hit that could be used to improve graphics elsewhere, but its clear to me now that they do add a lot to the overall consistency of the look of a game.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
They rise salaries for their devteam, mainly lead devs, by a lot, its stupid of them but they do it out of fear of top "talent" leaving the studio for competitor company or making their own, on top of that especially durning pandemy all dev studios were employing above what was needed, dont know the reasons for it, but basically all big studios did it.

Remember especially in sony western AAA teams they now place huge role on DEI, so both hirings are bloated af with useless and less competent ppl, on top in their games top priority isnt making best quality game anymore, but to push woke agenda, that costs tons more too.

As a contrast (and since im polish;p) i show u robocop rouge city devteam/devtime
From the wiki

Game only needed 3years of dev time, coz there was 0 DEI hires and all the ppl were simply big fans of the IP, worked enthusiastically on it, polish salaries so roughly 4-5x lower from western dev salaries/
Thats why game made big profit even tho it didnt sell crazy good https://gamesensor.info/news/robocop_rogue_city_sales_first_week_on_steam
And yeh, game is only AA, so not big project, but it was budgeted smartly to achieve profitability, unlike many big western AAA projects.

Now at the same time spiderman's 2 mary jane was big downgrade, and there was reason for it

TLDR lead writer insterted herself(hence terrible mj looks downgrade in the sequel) into the game, on top huge pandering to the "strong independed woman" narrative and terrible actual story of the game, ofc all that with extremly high salary that baloons up game's budget- we didnt get that shit 10-15years ago.
In normal/sane company u would have head of the studio simply catch it and squash that artrocity in the bud, but with DEI/wokeness/pandering they cant/dont wanna say shit and game is made that way.

So the huge difference between western and non western costs of dev is mostly if not exclusively about manpower, and there's no costly tech involved which could somewhat explain it.
And i guess they could justify those inflated costs as long as no one could achieve the technical mastery of western games.
But now others show what you can do with a lot less money and a lot more talent and willingness to work hard, the shareholders will start to tighten the purse string and games will center themselves on gameplay and stuff like that instead of representation and dei crap ?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is this modded crysis? because i clearly remember great ground textures but not this good

XUnbc9Y.jpeg

Last edited:

Msamy

Man Wukong's final chapter and final secret boss fight blew me away. I will be talking about boss and level spoilers so please avoid this post if you dont want to read about it. No story spoilers, just ingame mechanics.

Final Warning.

Ok here we go.

Flying. These mad lads did it. I thought the flying sequence in the intro was just going to be a cutscene but the entire final area is a massive open world and you can fly around on your little cloud at insanely fast speeds. the graphics fidelity is toned down compared to the other levels and there is pop-in because they didnt implement nanite foliage but the lighting is still excellent and level is still full of excellent looking trees. And again, you are flying through insanely fast speeds. like 10-20 times the speed of flying/gliding in horizon and at least 2x faster than avatar. it looks great despite the visual flaws.

But it's the final few battles that are just mind blowing. Especially the secret final boss which is optional and something you have to tackle before the real final boss to see the true ending. A massive setpiece that is something i expected from gow3 after gow2 ended with kratos riding at the back of titans scaling up mount everest. these chinese devs delivered an amazing big setpiece fight where you take on not one but five titans at the same time on a mountain range and it fucking glorious. I have never seen a setpiece like this. it is gorgeous, it is full of scripted cutscenes, and yet it doesnt feel scripted because you have full control of the character.

It is what gow ragnorak shouldve been. It is the most impressive next gen setpiece ive ever played and i hope everyone plays through the game and all its secret content just to play that one boss fight. it is beyond impressive. We finally have next gen setpieces and i couldnt be happier.

the final boss is pretty impressive in terms of lighting but light on spectacle. still this whole boat ride was like watching a movie. Amazing lighting, great water, beautiful animations. Just perfect. This game is more than just fancy graphics, its a true audio visual masterpiece. If ND had made it, the entire industry would be slagging them off right now.

GXAOPjjXAAABXoP

I will just post one gif from that amazing setpiece. Its big but i didnt want to cut it up in many different clips because its crazy how seamlessly they stiched together scripted cutscenes and actual combat while having you fight multiple titans at once.

Z5w9ZAU.gif

Honeslty, this is why i play video games. I want to be wowed. I know stuff like this is in movies all the time but it feels hollow now more than ever due to the CG green screen fest most movies have become. Actually playing this is something else entirely. I feel like the devs were reading this thread for the last few years and gave us exactly what I've always wanted.
This game represent a top state of art, graphics tech and animation, defenitly best looking game of all time, many events in that game have a graphics quality with same fiedlity as god of war cgi trailers, it will be really hard test for kojima to make ds2 with same fiedlity in pro, we will see by the end month

Last edited:
This game represent a top state of art, graphics tech and animation, defenitly best looking game of all time, many events in that game have a graphics quality with same fiedlity as god of war cgi trailers, it will be really hard test for kojima to make ds2 with same fiedlity in pro, we will see by the end month
I am on the fence on whether to get this, it seems the praise is for the PC version over the PS5. Which I don’t have a PC powerful enough

SlimySnake

I am on the fence on whether to get this, it seems the praise is for the PC version over the PS5. Which I don’t have a PC powerful enough
Get it. It's a great game so even if the PS5 version looks like shit (which it doesnt) you will enjoy it. it starts off a bit slow but once you get all your powers, and some skill points to spend, it opens up a lot. It's such a fantastic game from a game design perspective. its not all visuals. its genuinely fun to play.

Id say if you are going to get the pro then wait for it before playing it. If not, just get it and play the 30 fps version. It has all the tech of the PC version im playing (i dont have rt enabled on my 3080 because it adds stutters every couple of seconds). the biggest difference is the shadows. shadows in cinematic mode are way better than the shadows on high. i switched to high for my 60 fps NG+ playthrough and its no longer as impressive but its still retains all the excellent cinematography, foliage, lighting, and nanite level of detail.

Flabagast

Wukong looks impressive in virtually every single type of environment. forests? check. Rocks? Check. Snow area? check.
VUSo0XO.gif

4oCgmLN.gif

tQCcFns.gif

2rXbbNO.gif
Chapter 5 looks beautiful as fuck, it really feels like UE5 demo promise fully realised. Way ahead of western devs productions imho.

Also game is randomly pushing really impressive tech. For example in Chapter 5, clothing movement in this cutscene in unlike anything I have seen in a game before.

SlimySnake

Chapter 5 looks beautiful as fuck, it really feels like UE5 demo promise fully realised. Way ahead of western devs productions imho.

Also game is randomly pushing really impressive tech. For example in Chapter 5, clothing movement in this cutscene in unlike anything I have seen in a game before.

yeah, thats the most impressive cutscene ive seen in a while. just insane hair and cloth physics.

that said, i dont think the textures hold up as well compared to the UE5 demo. some smaller areas sure, but the bigger levels have some really shoddy texture work at times, and it makes no sense because even with cinematic textures, the game tops out at 6.5 gb.

i was watching the earlier trailers and its insane how much they have downgraded and cut out from the game. Not just bosses, but also abilities and entire scenarios with a lot more enemies on screen. But what stood out the most was the texture work. its bizarre that they would add Path tracing support for high end cards but not higher textures and the original lighting which looked way better than what we ended up getting.

Hellblade 2 on the other delivers in spades. but its a linear tiny sorry excuse for a video game so i dont even think it should count lol Sadly, we might have to settle for wukong's texture work for the rest of the gen. These guys are doing insane things so if they had to downgrade, it must have been for a valid reason. Maybe those massive areas simply cant handle textures of the OG PS5 tech demo or Hellblade 2's quality.

Last edited:
yeah, thats the most impressive cutscene ive seen in a while. just insane hair and cloth physics.

that said, i dont think the textures hold up as well compared to the UE5 demo. some smaller areas sure, but the bigger levels have some really shoddy texture work at times, and it makes no sense because even with cinematic textures, the game tops out at 6.5 gb.

i was watching the earlier trailers and its insane how much they have downgraded and cut out from the game. Not just bosses, but also abilities and entire scenarios with a lot more enemies on screen. But what stood out the most was the texture work. its bizarre that they would add Path tracing support for high end cards but not higher textures and the original lighting which looked way better than what we ended up getting.

Hellblade 2 on the other delivers in spades. but its a linear tiny sorry excuse for a video game so i dont even think it should count lol Sadly, we might have to settle for wukong's texture work for the rest of the gen. These guys are doing insane things so if they had to downgrade, it must have been for a valid reason. Maybe those massive areas simply cant handle textures of the OG PS5 tech demo or Hellblade 2's quality.
My guess is that they were handicapped by developing around such an ancient UE5 build (which did in fact not have Nanite foliage). I have a feeling that if they updated it to newer ones it would already be the single most advanced game in the market, even over Hellblade 2 and its linearity.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I had a thought about Gears of War E DAY.

It just dawned on me that that shit will basically have Hellblade 2 level or greater graphics and be a bloody gunplay-filled 3rd person shooter. It’s going to look fucking insane. Expecting nothing less than the ultimate UE5 showpiece

for example in Chapter 5, clothing movement in this cutscene in unlike anything I have seen in a game before.
That's looking really good, but I assume this clothing movement is all baked simulation in some 3rd party software (probably Houdini). Not real-time physics, because that would be incredibly impressive.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I need the exact minute/second of this incredible hair physiscs because i just don't see it, the young chick does a bow and her hairs barely move out of position...

PeteBull

So the huge difference between western and non western costs of dev is mostly if not exclusively about manpower, and there's no costly tech involved which could somewhat explain it.
And i guess they could justify those inflated costs as long as no one could achieve the technical mastery of western games.
But now others show what you can do with a lot less money and a lot more talent and willingness to work hard, the shareholders will start to tighten the purse string and games will center themselves on gameplay and stuff like that instead of representation and dei crap ?
When dev studio makes a game their sole priority should be making best possible product, if cash/dev time/resources of all kinds are used on something else, for example pushing woke agenda, ofc as a consequence game gonna take longer to make, have balooned up budget and lower quality, its simple logic.

Its like one army has only 18-25yo male soldiers+( some older and experienced officers/commanders) and it fights vs one that is true representation of ur countries population aka 50% women, tons of fat and old fucks, its obvious one that is optimised and puts its power as top priority gonna win, the one that puts DEI as priority will always gonna lose.

SlimySnake

Which platform ? I guess PC.

Do we have some nice screens from PS5?
Shinobi on twitter posted some. Looks fairly similar to the vanilla version on PC minus the pristine IQ you are seeing in ravion's shots. But if you play the 30 fps mode its a fairly high resolution of around 1440p reconstructed to 4k using FSR. FSR is mostly fine at that resolution. Especially Massive's implementation. it's when you go below 1440p and down to 1080p or below where things go horribly wrong. Had to use FSR for Star Wars jedi survivor and starfield and 1440p internal resolution is perfectly fine. Even better than the 4k checkerboard games we were seeing last gen from sony.

DanielG165

So uhh… I’m guessing all of the super intensive current gen games will likely remain at 30fps on the PS5 Pro? I can’t see Space Marine 2 suddenly running at 60fps in quality mode, for example. Cerny didn’t speak on the CPU at all, so I’m assuming it’s the exact same, just maybe clocked a little higher at most.

This honestly to me feels like the iPhone 15 or 16 vs the 15 Pro or 16 Pro. Better performance for sure, but not really translatable to most people. We’ll see in time, though.

SlimySnake

So uhh… I’m guessing all of the super intensive current gen games will likely remain at 30fps on the PS5 Pro? I can’t see Space Marine 2 suddenly running at 60fps in quality mode, for example. Cerny didn’t speak on the CPU at all, so I’m assuming it’s the exact same, just maybe clocked a little higher at most.

This honestly to me feels like the iPhone 15 or 16 vs the 15 Pro or 16 Pro. Better performance for sure, but not really translatable to most people. We’ll see in time, though.
Nah, he specifically stated multiple times that the goal was to run fidelity mode at 60 fps.

Something like Space Marine is an edge case but most other games like avatar, star wars, callisto, wukong should run their fidelity modes at 60 fps now thanks to the 45% extra cpu GPU, 3x faster rt and AI upscaling. thats exactly what people in this thread wanted.

p.s looking at some benchmarks, it seems Space Marine's CPU scaling is fine until it reaches 100 fps. so its possible that the ps5 pro should be able to run it at 60 fps with just than 10% boost. there might be some drops like they are today but wont be as substantial and the internal resolution and image quality will be much higher.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Nah, he specifically stated multiple times that the goal was to run fidelity mode at 60 fps.

Something like Space Marine is an edge case but most other games like avatar, star wars, callisto, wukong should run their fidelity modes at 60 fps now thanks to the 45% extra cpu, 3x faster rt and AI upscaling. thats exactly what people in this thread wanted.

p.s looking at some benchmarks, it seems Space Marine's CPU scaling is fine until it reaches 100 fps. so its possible that the ps5 pro should be able to run it at 60 fps with just than 10% boost. there might be some drops like they are today but wont be as substantial and the internal resolution and image quality will be much higher.
Ah, thank you kindly, somehow I missed the 45% increase in CPU performance. Very nice then!

Msamy

Something like Space Marine is an edge case but most other games like avatar, star wars, callisto, wukong should run their fidelity modes at 60 fps now thanks to the 45% extra cpu, 3x faster rt and AI upscaling. thats exactly what people in this thread wanted.

They used cross gen first titles to show the power of ps5 pro lol,
I know pro true raw power can be between 4070~4080, avatar they must show as games with advanced graphics runing on it, something like black myth or avatar.

SlimySnake

They used cross gen first titles to show the power of ps5 pro lol,
I know pro true raw power can be between 4070~4080, avatar they must show as games with advanced graphics runing on it, something like black myth or avatar.
not showing off avatar and black myth is extremely disappointing.

I just read that 75% of ps5 gamers use performance mode over fidelity. That means around 50 million gamers are playing games at 720p internal resolution with no rt effects and extremely paired back graphics settings. its not a surprise that everyone thinks this generation's best looking games look worse than last gen games.

DanielG165

sorry i misspoke. i meant to say 45% increase in GPU.

there is only a 10% increase in CPU. But the 45% increase in GPU plus PSSR will help them run fidelity modes at 60 fps.
Got it, thank you. Yeah no, their upscaling technique should/will get them to 60fps more consistently and without sacrificing on image quality or having the kind upscaler weirdness that FSR has sometimes.

Msamy

sorry i misspoke. i meant to say 45% increase in GPU.

there is only a 10% increase in CPU. But the 45% increase in GPU plus PSSR will help them run fidelity modes at 60 fps.
The increase in ray tracing power is the most amazing thing about pro 2~3 times more power than regular ps5 is amazing acheivement, avatar Hope it can match rtx performance

Last edited:

Msamy

"PS5 Pro uses the new advanced [ray tracing] feature sets that AMD created as the next step in their roadmap architecture," Cerny told me. "But if you look around, there are no other AMD GPUs that use it yet. We motivated the development, and I'm very happy we did so -- the response from the developers has been extraordinarily great."
We need some thing that show off this power

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why yes I’d be happy too.

*ahem*

“Give us $700 plus tax to play fidelity mode at 60fps”
I'm reading 800 euros for europe, plus 80 euros for the disc driver for just a better gpu, a new upscaling method and better rtx (that are probably still gonna suck compared to nvidia rtx)

Unless their upscaling method is exactly on par with dlss, tthis doesn't sound like a great price point...

I'm also sure that heavy games like gta6 are never gonna run at 4k60...

Top Bottom