• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Xtib81

So, with that disappointing ps5 pro reveal, is a budget of 1500€ for a PC with a 4070ti (or equivalent) coherent ? Because for almost 1000€ I'd expect my console to throw in path tracing, not just 4k/60.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why yes I’d be happy too.

*ahem*

“Give us $700 plus tax to play fidelity mode at 60fps”
lol accurate.

But he specifically states close to fidelity mode. So it wont even be as good as fidelity mode. They refused to let the cnet journo pixel count or take his own captures so its clearly 4k dlss performance mode which means rendering at 1080p internally reconstructed to 4k. In my experience while 1440p reconstructed to 4k can look as good as native 4k, 1080p simply does not. thats why ive been playing pc games at 40 or even 30 fps at dlss quality lately.

alloush

lol accurate.

But he specifically states close to fidelity mode. So it wont even be as good as fidelity mode. They refused to let the cnet journo pixel count or take his own captures so its clearly 4k dlss performance mode which means rendering at 1080p internally reconstructed to 4k. In my experience while 1440p reconstructed to 4k can look as good as native 4k, 1080p simply does not. thats why ive been playing pc games at 40 or even 30 fps at dlss quality lately.
But didn’t he actually show a comparison of fidelity mode between the pro and the regular running The Last of Us and maybe something else? And the fidelity on the Pro looked better!

SlimySnake

So, with that disappointing ps5 pro reveal, is a budget of 1500€ for a PC with a 4070ti (or equivalent) coherent ? Because for almost 1000€ I'd expect my console to throw in path tracing, not just 4k/60.
wait for 5000 series cards. nvidia typically adds some neat little features with each release. but yes, $1,500 should be fine. make sure to pair it with a 7800x3d.

SlimySnake

But didn’t he actually show a comparison of fidelity mode between the pro and the regular running The Last of Us and maybe something else? And the fidelity on the Pro looked better!
Impossible to tell on a 4k screen. what makes you think it looked better?

Flabagast

For HFW, Cerny said it will have details boots, improved lighting and visual effect, better hair and skin.
I had a really hard time seeing hair and skins improvements in the few clips they shown, I guess it will be very minor, like going from high to ultra on PC settings

It reminds me of the release of TLOU2 PS5 which they marketed as "boasting several graphical improvements". In the end I could not see any difference with the PS4 version

alloush

Impossible to tell on a 4k screen. what makes you think it looked better?
Mark Cerny pointed that out. Here is a picture of that shot, it’s hard to see the difference and the details on a mobile phone but I remember he said there are more details on the Pro compared to the regular:

YbQMNYb.jpeg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Mark Cerny pointed that out. Here is a picture of that shot, it’s hard to see the difference and the details on a mobile phone but I remember he said there are more details on the Pro compared to the regular:

YbQMNYb.jpeg

YouTube grabs are pointless but if anything the PS5 Pro version looks worse here. Look at the grass.

$700 in this economy and even more overseas Jesus.

This thing is gonna sell like 3 units lol. Plus, beating a dead horse here, but there’s barely any fucking next gen only games to make this worthwhile. To me, it’s EMBARRASSING they’re using cross gen and even LAST Gen titles to showcase this hardware. So much of the presentation was TLOU2

Imagine if the ps4 pro marketing was like “now look how it runs The Last of Us 2013! Notice this fence 50 feet away from Joel is sharper than on the last of us remastered for standard PS4.”

Last edited:

JCreasy

theres a few more

lords of the fallen
remnent 2
tekken 8
robocop rogue city
fortnite

Ah, I'm trippin'. Yeah. You right.

I guess Black Myth has come closest to capturing the original vision set forth in the demo.

Tekken 8 for instance. That could've been UE4 for all I can tell.

The use of Nanite in Black Myth is the wow factor for me. Even on PS5 (I pulled the trigger and I'm glad I did).

Myuni

Neo Member
that said, i dont think the textures hold up as well compared to the UE5 demo. some smaller areas sure, but the bigger levels have some really shoddy texture work at times, and it makes no sense because even with cinematic textures, the game tops out at 6.5 gb.
I just started playing and am rather disappointed with the texture quality. While many vistas are spectacular, they are clearly designed for a camera setting far away.

As soon as you zoom in accidentally (which happens often) or intentionally, most textures are quite low res and the engine does a bad job blurring them or to not fuck up object geometry.

I rember being blown away by the insane close up detail of the chain link fence in the matrix demo, but I assume for objects + textures with this quality for an entire game, we need A LOT more VRAM or better/faster SSD streaming routines.

0vCCnFB.jpg

Msamy

YbQMNYb.jpeg
Perfect shit strategy use cross gen titles to show off power of new hardware which are far powerfall in ray tracing, thats really show how shit those who are in top of playstation management right now.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
As I said in another thread, I dont mind the price being high - The issue is they give zero incentive to buy it, announcing a new console without any new games is egregious. Look forward to __________ what exactly?

They showed off a new PRO console with a 4 year old game from 2020.

I will pre order it anyway because ima bitch. playing games like TLOU3, GTA6, etc in the best possible way at launch is a must.

GymWolf

Gold Member
As I said in another thread, I dont mind the price being high - The issue is they give zero incentive to buy it, announcing a new console without any new games is egregious. Look forward to __________ what exactly?

I will pre order it anyway because ima bitch. playing games like TLOU3, GTA6, etc in the best possible way at launch is a must.
I don't mind the price per se, i mind not including the disc reader and the fact that the upgrade sound too nebolous and not worthy of the price (for now)

And like 2-3 min of the presentation was just job rimming ps5, talk about

1hhv9m.jpg

SlimySnake

I just started playing and am rather disappointed with the texture quality. While many vistas are spectacular, they are clearly designed for a camera setting far away.

As soon as you zoom in accidentally (which happens often) or intentionally, most textures are quite low res and the engine does a bad job blurring them or to not fuck up object geometry.

I rember being blown away by the insane close up detail of the chain link fence in the matrix demo, but I assume for objects + textures with this quality for an entire game, we need A LOT more VRAM or better/faster SSD streaming routines.

0vCCnFB.jpg
But there is plenty of vram available. My 3080 is using only 6.5 gb using cinematic textures at 4k dlss quality which adds its own vram cost. The matrix demo was open world and far bigger than any world here and was using hardware lumen plus reflections and shadows. Far higher vram cost than this game which is using only software lumen GI without lumen reflections and doesnt even use virtual shadow maps.

And nanite is supposed to make streaming much much easier. The game shows this with several really awesome setpieces that fly you seemlessly from one side of the map to the other but again, i never see vram go up above 6.5 GB. why was this game made for cards under 8GB?

SlimySnake

GTA6 is a 2026 title now. TLOU3 wont come out until 2030 since neil only just got the idea for it and is making another game which likely is a 2026 title as well.

By 2026, the pro will be $500 and the next gen xbox/steam hybrid will likely run GTA6 at better settings.

GymWolf

Gold Member
GTA6 is a 2026 title now. TLOU3 wont come out until 2030 since neil only just got the idea for it and is making another game which likely is a 2026 title as well.

By 2026, the pro will be $500 and the next gen xbox/steam hybrid will likely run GTA6 at better settings.
Is that official?

SlimySnake

YbQMNYb.jpeg
i just rewatched this scene. he simply says its smoother.

HFW is the game where he said they added new lighting and visual effect improvements as well as better faces and hair in cutscenes. TLOU2 is simply getting a framerate boost.

i wonder if HFW is getting RTGI.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can someone tell me how the fuck more power is related to better faces? aren't faces mostly an artist\sculpting thing?

Msamy

i just rewatched this scene. he simply says its smoother.

HFW is the game where he said they added new lighting and visual effect improvements as well as better faces and hair in cutscenes. TLOU2 is simply getting a framerate boost.

i wonder if HFW is getting RTGI.
From those small few seconds clips its not clear that hfw will use rtgi or not

Represent.

I think last I heard that rumor got debunked, But yea we will probably get new Xbox in late 2026 that will run it better.
But before TLOU 3 im expecting a new ND IP in 2026, so the PRO for me is still a must for that game alone.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I watched the hfw bit and it doesn't look that different...

Maybe the scene inside the cauldron looked a bit more realistic but it can be just short memory and placebo effect on my part...

The problem with this presentation it's that is hard to get excited for it when you only show games that have already been released.

Showing us even DS2 running on PRO would have been more interesting than all the other games we saw.

Even if we can say that we will most likely see DS2 running on PRO in the SoP or at TGS at the end of the month but what would be good is if Sony finally announces a big game in the next SoP.

Logically the one that could have the most chance of being announced would be the sequel to Ghost of Tsushima and that would be a good way to create enthusiasm if for the reveal of the game it's running on the PRO.

If what some have said is true with the fact that 2025 would be a good year in terms of games for Sony, they will have to announce them at some point.

Last edited:

Msamy

Pro is really powerful but they show it with titles which very soon will be outmatched with switch 2 new titles lol,

DanielG165

On Horizon Forbidden West, it basically looked as though GG took it from high on the PS5, to Ultra on the Pro, and at 60fps. Nice enough upgrade, but I’d hope the game would run at 60fps with it being a cross gen title. You know how starved Sony’s first party exclusives are when four of the games they showcased were cross gen/originally PS4 titles. We needed something bigger to show off what the Pro could genuinely do.
Is that official?
Apparently, it’s a rumor for now. https://gamerant.com/gta-6-release-...cent developments, it,to release in Fall 2025.

Though, Slimy may know more about it. I can’t see the Pro running GTA 6 at 60fps. I’m personally just going to wait for the 5000 series cards to release, upgrade my CPU alongside of it, and have a nice 60fps, high fidelity experience in GTA 6 when it finally comes to PC.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Faces are objects, objects take power to render, really don't know why you wouldn't think they take more power to render.
But they are not adding polygons to the heads for better geometry or whatever, they are just refining the textures, and from the bit they showed, it's a super small difference (i know that scene with the black guy with a line of dialogue to perfection because i always specifically use him for characters comparisons), are you telling me that a 10% (at best) better texture is a matter of power and not artistry?

The team is probably working on various improvements for horizon for the pro update so they are doing some light lift up on faces, so they included the faces as selling point with the lights etc, it's probably not related to power.

Tlou 1 cheap remake has slightly better faces than horizon (mostly tess) and it run on a hobo ps5, faces are mostly an artist thing that something you need power for, look at space marine 2, the faces look like shit because their artist are probably bad at making faces, and for example, if ND could rewrite the code of uncharted 1 they could make the faces look as good as they are in uncharted 3 in the same console with the same power, because artists improve their craft with time, you think guerrilla artists haven't learned anything in 3 years?

Last edited:

Msamy

I think last I heard that rumor got debunked, But yea we will probably get new Xbox in late 2026 that will run it better.
But before TLOU 3 im expecting a new ND IP in 2026, so the PRO for me is still a must for that game alone.
I am 100 % sure that Naughty dog new game wont be ready before 2027 or later "mark my words"

Represent.

I am 100 % sure that Naughty dog new game wont be ready before 2027 or later "mark my words"
Nahhh, they've never taken 7 years to make a game, they have actually had pretty good output. The remakes/remasters were done by new hires. I wouldn't be shocked if they drop next year. Thats 5 years, same amount of time for GOW 2018 - Its not like they had a full team on the MP GAAS project. That was a smaller team, one of he other teams must have been on this since at least 2020

Last edited:

Msamy

Nahhh, they've never taken 7 years to make a game, they have actually had pretty good output. The remakes/remasters were done by new hires. I wouldn't be shocked if they drop next year. Thats 5 years, same amount of time for GOW 2018 - Its not like they had a full team on the MP GAAS project.
Pretty sure they spent lot of resourses on that cancelled gaas title to point that they stopped for fearing that full studio resourses are focused on it, beleive me they wont be ready on 2026

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nahhh, they've never taken 7 years to make a game, they have actually had pretty good output. The remakes/remasters were done by new hires. I wouldn't be shocked if they drop next year. Thats 5 years, same amount of time for GOW 2018 - Its not like they had a full team on the MP GAAS project. That was a smaller team, one of he other teams must have been on this since at least 2020
It depends on the genre, if it's bigger than tlou, semi-ish open world, 5 years with the usual care for microdetails of ND are not enough.

RDR2 took almost 9 years and way more people and money than ND is ever gonna have.

Although i don't think ND is ever gonna take the route of the open worlds.

Last edited:

That rumour was debunked just in case. Regarding HFW's better faces I guess they refer to subsurface scattering quality, which is a PC port setting.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

yeah if these studios were ready to release something by 2025 they wouldve shown it by now.

they will reveal them with a 2026 date and then conveniently delay it to 2027.

On Horizon Forbidden West, it basically looked as though GG took it from high on the PS5, to Ultra on the Pro, and at 60fps. Nice enough upgrade, but I’d hope the game would run at 60fps with it being a cross gen title. You know how starved Sony’s first party exclusives are when four of the games they showcased were cross gen/originally PS4 titles. We needed something bigger to show off what the Pro could genuinely do.

Apparently, it’s a rumor for now. https://gamerant.com/gta-6-release-date-delay-rumors-insider-response/#:~:text=Based on recent developments, it,to release in Fall 2025.

Though, Slimy may know more about it. I can’t see the Pro running GTA 6 at 60fps. I’m personally just going to wait for the 5000 series cards to release, upgrade my CPU alongside of it, and have a nice 60fps, high fidelity experience in GTA 6 when it finally comes to PC.
Jason said he talked to six rockstar devs and they told him they didnt know about the delay but told him its definitely possible simply because of how ambition the game is.

6 devs out of 3000 devs rockstar has work on one project at a time is nothing. maybe they are low on the pay scale and dont know. i know a rockstar dev too lol. they have an office in NY so if you're a software engineer in NYC, you probably know a dev or two who has worked there.

And before anyone asks, no i have not nor am I going to ask a former colleague to confirm or deny this rumor. im just going by rockstar continuously delaying their own games. pretty sure red dead was announced as a spring 2017 title that eventually released in holiday 2018. GTA is even more ambitious.

60 fps might be possible. there was a leak showing the game running at 60 fps on the ps5 a day or two before the trailer reveal. but if its 30 fps on the base console because its cpu bound then i dont see how the pro with the same cpu runs it at 60.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Technically, but they can still up the setting a few notches.
Yeah yeah i was about to edit my post when i realized what you meant.

I think to remember that on pc, that setting has zero perf impact.
Usually skin settings have extremely low perf impact on pc, it's always something you leave on ultra.

GymWolf

Gold Member
yeah if these studios were ready to release something by 2025 they wouldve shown it by now.

they will reveal them with a 2026 date and then conveniently delay it to 2027.

Jason said he talked to six rockstar devs and they told him they didnt know about the delay but told him its definitely possible simply because of how ambition the game is.

6 devs out of 3000 devs rockstar has work on one project at a time is nothing. maybe they are low on the pay scale and dont know. i know a rockstar dev too lol. they have an office in NY so if you're a software engineer in NYC, you probably know a dev or two who has worked there.

And before anyone asks, no i have not nor am I going to ask a former colleague to confirm or deny this rumor. im just going by rockstar continuously delaying their own games. pretty sure red dead was announced as a spring 2017 title that eventually released in holiday 2018. GTA is even more ambitious.

60 fps might be possible. there was a leak showing the game running at 60 fps on the ps5 a day or two before the trailer reveal. but if its 30 fps on the base console because its cpu bound then i dont see how the pro with the same cpu runs it at 60.
They should take all the time they need.

You don't rush motherfuckin gta6.

Yeah yeah i was about to edit my post when i realized what you meant.

I think to remember that on pc, that setting has zero perf impact.
Usually skin settings have extremely low perf impact on pc, it's always something you leave on ultra.
Pretty much, I take it they're upping all the settings to the max possible ones and possibly adding raytracing along for the ride. This will be a decent leap most likely, but looking forward more to how Horizon 3 will look now...

Represent.

Watch Neils interview with Logic (rapper), to me its seems like a new game is much sooner than you think.

We have no reason to believe they are suddenly a 7-8 year per game studio.

And they've come out and said they wont announce a new game again until its close to release, add that to Sony's notorious, new found silence, and them wanting to rebound after the TLOU 2 fiasco - They could do a announce and release 6 months later type thing.

Astro Bot was announced and released within 3 months. Thats how Sony rolls now

Last edited:

SlimySnake

they had the creative director of lost legacy and avengers work on directing the TLOU 1 remake. it wasnt just interns. Jason reported that devs had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 so started fucking with Bend's Uncharted spinoff which already had hollywood writing talent working on it with bend. They also started meddling with the VSG remake until the VSG heads quit in protest leaving ND to finish the game.

Another team was working on Factions which was open world and required its own team of artists and designers. It wasnt just a few people. it was in full production.

They likely didnt start full development on their new game until last year when they finally announced they are working on a new game. yes, they havent taken 3+ years to release a game, but times have changed. the old guard at ND has been forced out by Neil who is now the sole CEO and he himself is too busy making tv shows. They have now gone over 4 years since they last released a full game so we are clearly in uncharted territory. no pun intended. if you are thinking 2026 for their next game, it would be 6 years. TWICE as long as their previous efforts. Whats one more year? especially now that games are far more ambitious and sony has cut their funding to invest in gaas trash and laid off devs when they should be stocking up.

Top Bottom