• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Astro Bot was announced and released within 3 months. Thats how Sony rolls now
lol thats just one game. and a small one at that. it doesnt require a big marketing cycle like other games.

Sony unveiled Spiderman 2 a full 2 years before launch.
They also revealed wolverine 4 years before launch.
Death Stranding 2 was revealed 3 years before launch.
Horizon 2, GT7 and GOW Ragnorak were all revealed 2 years before launch.

Astro bot and TLOU remake are the exception, not the norm. It's possible that ND or Sucker Punch might stealth drop a game 3 months after release but highly unlikely.

The simplest explanation is that these studios are not ready to show anything. If they did we wouldve seen it at the PS5 pro reveal. Everyone told me to wait till the ps5 pro reveal when I was criticizing Sony studios for skipping E3. Well, we are here now and we got nothing. If they had something, we wouldve seen it today.

Sucker Punch has now gone 4+ years without showing a game.
Bend 6.5 years
GG 2.5 years
ND 4+ years
Bluepoint almost 4 years
SSM almost 2 years

These studios should've had something for E3, if not september. Something has gone horribly wrong over at these studios.

PS6 will likely launch in 2028, a year later than usual. MS has effectively conceded the console market to Sony. And so has Nintendo. Sony wont release a console sooner than they have to. They are already a year late to the Pro.
ROFL. This has big "we just found another 5 million PS2 hardware sales" from Sony vibes... Nintendo have bodied both MS and Sony recently in terms of critical acclaim, consoles sold, software sold (at full price not sub $20) and overall revenue.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

I would have rather had them go all in and drop something at 1000 that is somewhat revolutionary. If it was 1000 and brought back the cell based processor with AI upscaling, then sure.

700 USD for AI upscaling is just :messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

ROFL. This has big "we just found another 5 million PS2 hardware sales" from Sony vibes... Nintendo have bodied both MS and Sony recently in terms of critical acclaim, consoles sold, software sold (at full price not sub $20) and overall revenue.
not really. Nintendo is consistently below Sony in overall revenue. And not by a couple of billion. Around 10-15 billion last i checked. Sony pulls $25-30 billion every year while Nintendo and MS end up around $15 billion. Nintendo topped at around $18 billion during the covid boom and has dropped to $13 billion amidst slowing switch sales. Correct me if im wrong, im going by memory here.

Nintendo left the console space in 2017. The Switch is a handheld and yes, in that space they have bodied both MS and especially Sony who conceded that market to Nintendo a couple of years after the vita came out. But when it comes to consoles? Come on. Nintendo doesnt get any of the big games. And when they do, its like ten years down the line when no one wants to play them. CoD, GTA, Ubisoft 20 million sellers, and virtually every major game release is MIA on the switch going back to 2017. They are as irrelevant to the console market as they've ever been. This forum has a meltdown every time a MS game misses out on a game like Baldurs Gate 3 or Wukong, but Nintendo misses 100% of those games every single year and no one cares? And rightfully so, they are no longer competing with Sony or Microsoft. They are doing their own thing in the handheld space where they have zero competition.

In terms of critical acclaim, they do ok, but they have won just one GOTY award in the last 17 years. Aside from BOTW, they have been bodied by third party and several Sony studios. In large part because GOTY awards are given mostly to AAA games, and Nintendo has been completely MIA in the AAA market. They release one AAA game every 6 years and that too looks like a PS3 game so its more AA than AAA.

SlimySnake

I would have rather had them go all in and drop something at 1000 that is somewhat revolutionary. If it was 1000 and brought back the cell based processor with AI upscaling, then sure.

700 USD for AI upscaling is just :messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy:
That is exactly what MS is doing and it will flop. No one wants to pay $999 for a console. i dont care what AI magic they put in there.

Msamy

Watch Neils interview with Logic (rapper), to me its seems like a new game is much sooner than you think.

We have no reason to believe they are suddenly a 7-8 year per game studio.

And they've come out and said they wont announce a new game again until its close to release, add that to Sony's notorious, new found silence, and them wanting to rebound after the TLOU 2 fiasco - They could do a announce and release 6 months later type thing.

Astro Bot was announced and released within 3 months. Thats how Sony rolls now
Big new ip games need at least 1 year of ads before its release, games like astro bot & concord to are casual games for casual peoples like nintendo games dont need much ads and trailers sony hardcore games this gen like hfw, ragnarok, wolverine, spiderman 2, death stranding 2 and others announced years before its release, just imagine ND Newest ip which will be sony biggest first party title announced 3 months before its release lol.

Last edited:
not really. Nintendo is consistently below Sony in overall revenue. And not by a couple of billion. Around 10-15 billion last i checked. Sony pulls $25-30 billion every year while Nintendo and MS end up around $15 billion. Nintendo topped at around $18 billion during the covid boom and has dropped to $13 billion amidst slowing switch sales. Correct me if im wrong, im going by memory here.

Nintendo left the console space in 2017. The Switch is a handheld and yes, in that space they have bodied both MS and especially Sony who conceded that market to Nintendo a couple of years after the vita came out. But when it comes to consoles? Come on. Nintendo doesnt get any of the big games. And when they do, its like ten years down the line when no one wants to play them. CoD, GTA, Ubisoft 20 million sellers, and virtually every major game release is MIA on the switch going back to 2017. They are as irrelevant to the console market as they've ever been. This forum has a meltdown every time a MS game misses out on a game like Baldurs Gate 3 or Wukong, but Nintendo misses 100% of those games every single year and no one cares? And rightfully so, they are no longer competing with Sony or Microsoft. They are doing their own thing in the handheld space where they have zero competition.

In terms of critical acclaim, they do ok, but they have won just one GOTY award in the last 17 years. Aside from BOTW, they have been bodied by third party and several Sony studios. In large part because GOTY awards are given mostly to AAA games, and Nintendo has been completely MIA in the AAA market. They release one AAA game every 6 years and that too looks like a PS3 game so its more AA than AAA.
You hate Nintendo more than I thought rofl.

JimRyanGOAT

That is exactly what MS is doing and it will flop. No one wants to pay $999 for a console. i dont care what AI magic they put in there.

If its pro version, I dont mind. As long as its truly something amazing.

Like 4080 level, but that obviously wont happen and is just a dream for 1K.

But ya, I guess the next hope is Sony finally shows off some first party games cause this was just embarrassing.

But knowing this new Sony, I wouldn't be surprised we get another small show focused on smaller games without any big reveals.

SlimySnake

Big new ip games need at least 1 year of ads before its release, games like astro bot & 1 concord to are casual games for casual peoples like nintentdo games dont need much ads and trailers sony hardcore games this gen like hfw, ragnarok, wolverine, spiderman 2, death stranding 2 and others announced years before its release, just imagine ND Newest ip which will be sony biggest first party title announced 3 months before its release lol.
TLOU2 was revealed 3.5 years before launch lol.

Back then ND was targeting a 2018 release which was then moved to 2019 and they missed that too and delayed it for another 8 months.

Whatever release date they give, add a year to that.

SlimySnake

You hate Nintendo more than I thought rofl.
on the contrary, i love nintendo. I think they have the best game designers. ToTK was my GOTY even if it lost to BG3. but i cant stand here and pretend they are competing with MS and Sony when they clearly exited the AAA market a long time ago.

I raised my son on nintendo games since he was 4 because i wanted him to understand good game design before he got corrupted by minecraft, robolox and fortnite. My biggest regret is that these genius Nitnendo designers are wasted making games for kids instead of innovating in the AAA market which has been completely stagnant largely due to Nintendo and its designers essentially leaving it. We get a glimpse of them every 6 years whenever a new zelda comes out but its held back by 2005 era hardware and 15 watts so its not like we are seeing what they can truly do.

So i have to settle for lazy western devs who are more interested in pushing agendas, walking simulators, or gaas trash than pushing game design.

RaduN

Yeah but we had a preview of some surfaces like rocks and they didn't looked as detailed as wukong\hb2.

Death Stranding is a huge, i mean HUGE open world game, with incredible variety. I mean, one minute i'm in this shiny snowy mountain, next i find myself descending into this hardened volcano lava rocky area which leads to a huge thermal gheizer location, only to come down to a dense forest, which i'm about to completely wipe off the map 'cose the fucking BTs got me...again.

I expect DS2 to be all that x10.

Hardly comparable in scope these games.

Msamy

I just read new cerny interview, avatar in one state Part he said
("I have been very surprised by the degree to which developers are using ray-tracing," he begins. "Putting that in, that was a big decision and actually a rather late one. I thought that this is not going to get much use initially, but if we look at generations, and a generation is seven years or so, software is created for ten years, and so later in the lifecycle we will start seeing people using that technology. But instead we had launch titles that were taking advantage of it. I guess, having worked on games for consoles that were a bit difficult to get into, like the PlayStation 3, I can be a little skittish about very deep technology like that. But in this case, my guess as to how things would go was totally wrong. And I am so happy to have seen the early adoption of the technology)
Just imagine if he focused in ps5 origonal ray tracing power, pretty sure we would have less bullshit cross gen titles than what we have now

Yeah but we had a preview of some surfaces like rocks and they didn't looked as detailed as wukong\hb2.
Afaik they seem more detailed than what meets the eye, there's just a soft look to the first trailer they showed. If this one is razor sharp and also 60 frames, I have a feeling we'll see how much detail is obfuscated.

Bitstream

pretty sure we would have less bullshit cross gen titles than what we have now
Nahh, making the ps5 any more powerful than it already was at launch wouldn't have kept devs from still releasing games for last gen, the install base on a new console takes time to develop, and making a next gen only game on year one is a larger risk than still supporting the previous one.

on the contrary, i love nintendo. I think they have the best game designers. ToTK was my GOTY even if it lost to BG3. but i cant stand here and pretend they are competing with MS and Sony when they clearly exited the AAA market a long time ago.

I raised my son on nintendo games since he was 4 because i wanted him to understand good game design before he got corrupted by minecraft, robolox and fortnite. My biggest regret is that these genius Nitnendo designers are wasted making games for kids instead of innovating in the AAA market which has been completely stagnant largely due to Nintendo and its designers essentially leaving it. We get a glimpse of them every 6 years whenever a new zelda comes out but its held back by 2005 era hardware and 15 watts so its not like we are seeing what they can truly do.

So i have to settle for lazy western devs who are more interested in pushing agendas, walking simulators, or gaas trash than pushing game design.
Saying Switch is a handheld is absolute cope used only by people upset by the consoles success and it's eventual place as the best selling console of all time. It's a hybrid console and with Switch 2 will be competing in terms of IQ and performance with Series S. Get over it.

CGNoire

Nah, he specifically stated multiple times that the goal was to run fidelity mode at 60 fps.

Something like Space Marine is an edge case but most other games like avatar, star wars, callisto, wukong should run their fidelity modes at 60 fps now thanks to the 45% extra cpu GPU, 3x faster rt and AI upscaling. thats exactly what people in this thread wanted.

p.s looking at some benchmarks, it seems Space Marine's CPU scaling is fine until it reaches 100 fps. so its possible that the ps5 pro should be able to run it at 60 fps with just than 10% boost. there might be some drops like they are today but wont be as substantial and the internal resolution and image quality will be much higher.
He said specificly "close to fidelity mode"

Msamy

Death Stranding is a huge, i mean HUGE open world game, with incredible variety. I mean, one minute i'm in this shiny snowy mountain, next i find myself descending into this hardened volcano lava rocky area which leads to a huge thermal gheizer location, only to come down to a dense forest, which i'm about to completely wipe off the map 'cose the fucking BTs got me...again.

Also Black myth wukong have many huge open areas, that said i expected somthing amazing from kojima in tgs showcase if he uses the pro power.

SlimySnake

Saying Switch is a handheld is absolute cope used only by people upset by the consoles success and it's eventual place as the best selling console of all time. It's a hybrid console and with Switch 2 will be competing in terms of IQ and performance with Series S. Get over it.
A hybrid console that didnt get 99% of the AAA games released during its life cycle is not a console. its a handheld that got handed a rare few hand me down ports that were more insulting than playable.

A hybrid console that didnt get 99% of the AAA games released during its life cycle is not a console. its a handheld that got handed a rare few hand me down ports that were more insulting than playable.
Keep telling yourself that lol. It will be in the history books as the best selling console of all time. Cope.

SlimySnake

I was replaying the Dragon fight on NG+ last night and noticed that one shot in the cutscene is a one shot take. It follows Wukong from when hes on the ground (or rather on the giant turtle) on to the dragon who then carries him a mile or two up in the air while the boss fight arena remains visible. The camera then stays locked and does this all in one take. The scene goes on for another 15 seconds before they crash back on the turtle. It must be a 30-45 second one shot take that is far more impressive than the entirety of both 30-40 hour campaigns in GOW. Especially the dragon fight in GOW 2018 that is clearly held in a loading screen as your view of the environment is blocked by grey clouds. here you see everything.

I only captured a short 3 second clip to keep the gif short but the full one shot take is far longer than that and absolutely amazing.

UfAujaX.gif

P.S This is captured in 60 fps running at high settings and dlss 4k performance so 1080p internal resolution. Basically what you will see on the ps5. Dont have a capture of it from my cinematic setting playthrough.

SlimySnake

“Look, this new $700 machine can run PS4 games at a slightly higher resolution!”
Lower resolution* higher framerate. But image quality will be close to fidelity mode. But definitely not higher resolution.

People hoping to run Ratchet, Horizon, Demon Souls, Spiderman 2 and other native 4k games at 60 fps are going to be disappointed when the pro version runs at a lower base resolution.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
lol thats just one game. and a small one at that. it doesnt require a big marketing cycle like other games.

Sony unveiled Spiderman 2 a full 2 years before launch.
They also revealed wolverine 4 years before launch.
Death Stranding 2 was revealed 3 years before launch.
Horizon 2, GT7 and GOW Ragnorak were all revealed 2 years before launch.

Astro bot and TLOU remake are the exception, not the norm. It's possible that ND or Sucker Punch might stealth drop a game 3 months after release but highly unlikely.

The simplest explanation is that these studios are not ready to show anything. If they did we wouldve seen it at the PS5 pro reveal. Everyone told me to wait till the ps5 pro reveal when I was criticizing Sony studios for skipping E3. Well, we are here now and we got nothing. If they had something, we wouldve seen it today.

Sucker Punch has now gone 4+ years without showing a game.
Bend 6.5 years
GG 2.5 years
ND 4+ years
Bluepoint almost 4 years
SSM almost 2 years

These studios should've had something for E3, if not september. Something has gone horribly wrong over at these studios.

Big new ip games need at least 1 year of ads before its release, games like astro bot & concord to are casual games for casual peoples like nintendo games dont need much ads and trailers sony hardcore games this gen like hfw, ragnarok, wolverine, spiderman 2, death stranding 2 and others announced years before its release, just imagine ND Newest ip which will be sony biggest first party title announced 3 months before its release lol.

“We did announce Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part 2 way in advance, but that actually caused a little bit of the work-life balance issues that we’ve sometimes had at the studio,” Druckmann said. “By delaying that announcement, we could play with the schedule more"

- Neil Druckmann

I agree with both of all of your points, as that's how things typically work in this industry. However, I just think after TLOU 2, ND became a different studio and will do things differently than we're all expecting. I am willing to bet their game will be announced and released in the same 1 year span. We won't see another 4 year announce to release span from them again

SlimySnake SlimySnake Spoilers
picard.png

SlimySnake

I just read new cerny interview, avatar in one state Part he said
("I have been very surprised by the degree to which developers are using ray-tracing," he begins. "Putting that in, that was a big decision and actually a rather late one. I thought that this is not going to get much use initially, but if we look at generations, and a generation is seven years or so, software is created for ten years, and so later in the lifecycle we will start seeing people using that technology. But instead we had launch titles that were taking advantage of it. I guess, having worked on games for consoles that were a bit difficult to get into, like the PlayStation 3, I can be a little skittish about very deep technology like that. But in this case, my guess as to how things would go was totally wrong. And I am so happy to have seen the early adoption of the technology)
Just imagine if he focused in ps5 origonal ray tracing power, pretty sure we would have less bullshit cross gen titles than what we have now
He was likely persuaded (or dissuaded?) by sony devs who pretty much ignored RT for their games apart from Insomniac. BP, ND, SSM, GG, Team Asobi, Housemarque all refused to take advantage of the one true next gen feature in his PS5. He probably figured that if Sony's best studios wont be using it, who else will? of course, turns out everyone else lmao.

I have never seen a creator get totally let down by his devs. Even Krazy Ken Kutaragi could show some specific examples like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Motorstorm and say hey look at least some devs get my vision for this console. Cerny on the other hand was completely abandoned by his own devs who decided to make cross gen games, or phone in next gen games altogether.

Thankfully, we have some devs like Massive, Respawn, Striking Distance Studios, Epic, Game Science and even Capcom who were like maybe we should utilize the most revolutionary feature in video game history.

Still, it takes a true genius to recognize one's mistakes and the fact that he forced (he said 'motivated') AMD to get better at Ray tracing performance and delivered a massive 100-200% boost with just 67% more compute proves this guy is legit. Hopefully, he turns to third party devs before designing his next console and ignores pretty much anything sony devs have to say.

Xtib81

I was replaying the Dragon fight on NG+ last night and noticed that one shot in the cutscene is a one shot take. It follows Wukong from when hes on the ground (or rather on the giant turtle) on to the dragon who then carries him a mile or two up in the air while the boss fight arena remains visible. The camera then stays locked and does this all in one take. The scene goes on for another 15 seconds before they crash back on the turtle. It must be a 30-45 second one shot take that is far more impressive than the entirety of both 30-40 hour campaigns in GOW. Especially the dragon fight in GOW 2018 that is clearly held in a loading screen as your view of the environment is blocked by grey clouds. here you see everything.

I only captured a short 3 second clip to keep the gif short but the full one shot take is far longer than that and absolutely amazing.

UfAujaX.gif

P.S This is captured in 60 fps running at high settings and dlss 4k performance so 1080p internal resolution. Basically what you will see on the ps5. Dont have a capture of it from my cinematic setting playthrough.
Santa Monica's entire team needs to do an internship at Game science asap.

SlimySnake

- Neil Druckmann

I agree with both of all of your points, as that's how things typically work in this industry. However, I just think after TLOU 2, ND became a different studio and will do things differently than we're all expecting. I am willing to bet their game will be announced and released in the same 1 year span. We won't see another 4 year announce to release span from them again
they will say its 1 year away then delay it citing the need for more time in order to polish it.
trust me, i havent posted anything yet. you will forget the description when you get there. ;p

im sitting on a treasure trove of gifs waiting for you all to finish the game so dont worry. but come october im posting shit from the incredible final chapter.

Flabagast

UfAujaX.gif

Its crazy how much more advanced Wukong looks versus Ragnarok

Represent.

they will say its 1 year away then delay it citing the need for more time in order to polish it.

trust me, i havent posted anything yet. you will forget the description when you get there. ;p

im sitting on a treasure trove of gifs waiting for you all to finish the game so dont worry. but come october im posting shit from the incredible final chapter.
I took a break from it to play Space Marine 2, which is fucking AWESOME so far and I am loving it.

In combat at times it looks like CG. Could use a little more polish, but for the type of game i think they've done a great job.

Last edited:
lol accurate.

But he specifically states close to fidelity mode. So it wont even be as good as fidelity mode. They refused to let the cnet journo pixel count or take his own captures so its clearly 4k dlss performance mode which means rendering at 1080p internally reconstructed to 4k. In my experience while 1440p reconstructed to 4k can look as good as native 4k, 1080p simply does not. thats why ive been playing pc games at 40 or even 30 fps at dlss quality lately.

Way too many assumptions

Woopah

Those 5 million PS2 sales happened in 2012, Sony didn't just "find" them.

Its not quite an apples to apples comparison, as Sony's figures include third party digital revenue while Nintendo's does not.

But regardless, Sony will still be ahead as they are at the peak point of their current console while Nintendo is at end of life for their past gen console. The revenue numbers between them should be closer in the future.

Its fair to say that Nintendo left the high-end graphic space, not to say they left the console space. The Switch has targeted and captured a large number of people who play video games on their TV, and Nintendo has taken a lot of actions to attract the home console market.

SlimySnake

Way too many assumptions
Sonys own leaked docs which were repeated word to word here specifically state performance mode 1080p base resolutions.

vbXR2KB.jpg

There were other examples in the tom henderson leak where Sony gives an example of an 1800p 30 fps game that has a 1080p mode (likely helldivers 2) which then gets a PSSR mode that comes close to the image quality of the 1800p version. Basically they arent even claiming to give you native 4k or better than native 4k quality like dlss quality does.

PS5 Pro $700 price is obscene, plus having to buy a disc drivw or you can't play any of your games on disc. It comes across as disrespectful and super greedy not to at least have the disc drive included for that price. The digital shouldve been $600 and the disc version $700.

Still, I would've felt OK buying this despite the price if it actually worked like a PC and Sony had WAY more PS5 games enhanced for this thing ...the showing of games was miniscule and we're still in this limbo of having to hope for patches. No mention of Cyberpunk? No mention of SO many games that need improvements if you're going to be charging $700-$800 for this!

And what they DID show didn't exactly instill me with confidence. Being able to get closer to fidelity modes at 60 fps would be great .. but we have no guarantees that this will happen for most of our libraries ...i saw that on cnet that "supposedly" Sony plans to "eventually" have the entire ps5 library "upscaled using ai" but Cerny didn't bother to mention that? I'm not believeing that plus what does "eventually" even mean?

THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW ONE UPCOMING PS5 PRO GAME? NOT ONE to show off what this thing can do ...ok ...so that will happen eventually we all know that but then they only show 5-10 previously released ps5 games if thats all you're bringing the table at least assure us this thing will ai upscale ALL PS5 GAMES!

No Black Myth Wukong! No Ragnarok, no Dying Light 2, Cyberpunk, Jedi Survivor, FF16, plague tale, control, Rise of the Ronin, resident evil 4 remake, astrobot, etc

Price wouldn't be an issue if I knew this would improve more than a handful of games.

Last edited:

Luipadre

PS5 Pro $700 price is obscene, plus having to buy a disc drivw or you can't play any of your games on disc. It comes across as disrespectful and super greedy not to at least have the disc drive included for that price. The digital shouldve been $600 and the disc version $700.

Still, I would've felt OK buying this despite the price if it actually worked like a PC and Sony had WAY more PS5 games enhanced for this thing ...the showing of games was miniscule and we're still in this limbo of having to hope for patches. No mention of Cyberpunk? No mention of SO many games that need improvements if you're going to be charging $700-$800 for this!

And what they DID show didn't exactly instill me with confidence. Being able to get closer to fidelity modes at 60 fps would be great .. but we have no guarantees that this will happen for most of our libraries ...i saw that on cnet that "supposedly" Sony plans to "eventually" have the entire ps5 library "upscaled using ai" but Cerny didn't bother to mention that? I'm not believeing that plus what does "eventually" even mean?

THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW ONE UPCOMING PS5 PRO GAME? NOT ONE to show off what this thing can do ...ok ...so that will happen eventually we all know that but then they only show 5-10 previously released ps5 games if thats all you're bringing the table at least assure us this thing will ai upscale ALL PS5 GAMES!

No Black Myth Wukong! No Ragnarok, no Dying Light 2, Cyberpunk, Jedi Survivor, FF16, plague tale, control, Rise of the Ronin, resident evil 4 remake, astrobot, etc

Price wouldn't be an issue if I knew this would improve more than a handful of games.

Not even mentioned new sw or dragon age that comes out end of october. I think these games will get support too and will be announced soon

SlimySnake

Yeah, just having CD project show up with a Path traced version of cybperpunk even with 1 bounce per ray instead of two on PC wouldve done wonders. Same goes for Wukong. Those path traced toggles are far more effective than showing literally the same image compressed to hell and back on youtube. its so moronic that marketing people making millions every year would do a reveal like this.

AI upscaling isnt available for all games and it all never be. the CNET guy misspoke. games will need to be patched to take advantage of PSSR just like checkerboarding, FSR, TSR and DLSS. Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws, Jedi Survivor and several other AAA games released over the last few years were not mentioned in the list Sony put out as PS5 pro enhanced titles. FF7 and Dragons Dogma 2 are there though along with most other Sony titles.

Flabagast

Yeah, just having CD project show up with a Path traced version of cybperpunk even with 1 bounce per ray instead of two on PC wouldve done wonders. Same goes for Wukong. Those path traced toggles are far more effective than showing literally the same image compressed to hell and back on youtube. its so moronic that marketing people making millions every year would do a reveal like this.

AI upscaling isnt available for all games and it all never be. the CNET guy misspoke. games will need to be patched to take advantage of PSSR just like checkerboarding, FSR, TSR and DLSS. Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws, Jedi Survivor and several other AAA games released over the last few years were not mentioned in the list Sony put out as PS5 pro enhanced titles. FF7 and Dragons Dogma 2 are there though along with most other Sony titles.
not sure CDPR will come back to their old engine for cyberpunk to work on a version for a console that will most probably only sell in low numbers whereas they are now full steam ahead on UE5

Righ, and the fact that SO MANY high profile games are missing from the list is why the Pro reveal is so terribly disappointing ...you're gonna charge $700 (actually its $800 + tax for most of us with due to disc drive), you need to SHOW UP with a bigger library of games that are going to fucking be improved! Like not having Cyberpunk is the biggest fail ever. That is still THE SHOWCASE GAME FOR RT! I don't care about path tracing dude. How about RT reflections for a start? Not having Black Myth and Space Marines is a massive L. Not having improvements lined up for Ragnarok, a game that is justly criticized for being a graphical underachiever is a massive L. So many Ls today. Console gaming is cursed because of the walled off nature of it being run by these greese ball executives...that they would even think they can release an $700 discless system and not show up with a big list of games is crazy. We're in a new era alright and arrogant Sony is back! Of course none of their BS works if gamers reject the product. This is where cnet, digital foundry, ign etc come in to help Sony create hype and console gamers still don't feel like they "deserve" better.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Sure the scope is different, i just hoped to see a bigger jump in term of textures...

Also, If it is like the first one, it's also gonna be one of the most barren open world around with barely anything going on most of the time, and variety of biomes is not exactly an exclusive of DS, any decently big game has variety of biomes, let alone decent open world games.

DanielG165

I took a break from it to play Space Marine 2, which is fucking AWESOME so far and I am loving it.

In combat at times it looks like CG. Could use a little more polish, but for the type of game i think they've done a great job.
And it runs like butter. Definitely one of my top 3 games of the year, and one of my favorite current gen games out.

SlimySnake

Did you guys see the Gran Turismo 7 footage in the presentation? it looked absolutely atrocious. Awful day time lighting. everything looked so flat. i always laugh at people saying DF is anti sony because of stuff like this. they did a 1:1 comparison with forza 8 and said GT7 looked better lmao. forza has its own issues including the inexcusable downgrade but at no point does it look that lame. The lighting doesnt go to die on the cars, track and trackside environments. Everything pops as it should. GT7 has to be the biggest disappointment this gen for me, even more than ragnorak.

IBmY503.jpeg
R1idyiu.jpeg

cXJRGW2.gif

rciwWop.gif

If I need the PS5 Pro to play the same looking quality mode of Star Wars Outlaws but at 60fps, that would be one of the most ridiculous things possible. I'd love much more a 40fps enhanced mode.
to be fair, the leaked doc stated that if a game just has one RT feature, the new RT tech will allow them to add on another RT feature while improving framerate.

Dunker99

If I need the PS5 Pro to play the same looking quality mode of Star Wars Outlaws but at 60fps, that would be one of the most ridiculous things possible.
Why? Isn’t that exactly what this upgraded console is for?

60fps at quality resolution is why I’m buying this.

Righ, and the fact that SO MANY high profile games are missing from the list is why the Pro reveal is so terribly disappointing ...you're gonna charge $700 (actually its $800 + tax for most of us with due to disc drive), you need to SHOW UP with a bigger library of games that are going to fucking be improved! Like not having Cyberpunk is the biggest fail ever. That is still THE SHOWCASE GAME FOR RT! I don't care about path tracing dude. How about RT reflections for a start? Not having Black Myth and Space Marines is a massive L. Not having improvements lined up for Ragnarok, a game that is justly criticized for being a graphical underachiever is a massive L. So many Ls today. Console gaming is cursed because of the walled off nature of it being run by these greese ball executives...that they would even think they can release an $700 discless system and not show up with a big list of games is crazy. We're in a new era alright and arrogant Sony is back! Of course none of their BS works if gamers reject the product. This is where cnet, digital foundry, ign etc come in to help Sony create hype and console gamers still don't feel like they "deserve" better.
The fact that not a SINGLE first party studio had a game to show or reveal and they had to trot out the fucking last of us 2, a ps4 game, for the fucking bridge between console five and SIX(!!!) is ridiculous

I mean what is going on with the first parties?? Genuinely? Their pipeline is clogged like a damn sewage drain. The Spider-Man 2 gameplay reveal was a century ago and that was all they had to show at the time and still no showcase in sight to this day. Instead showing $750 hardware (including tax in that) and goddamn hogwarts legacy running on it. Hopeless

Last edited:

DanielG165

The fact that you realistically have to spend $800 if you want your PS5 Pro set up properly or “maxed out”, with the disk drive and stand is kind of ridiculous honestly. $600 would’ve been a far easier sell for me, personally, to have the best place to play GTA 6 until it comes to PC.

At $700 to really $800 with all of the necessities, that’s encroaching uncomfortably close to the PC space. Especially, when there wasn’t a single new first party title by Sony shown, or any heavy/intensive game today that really highlighted why the Pro is that much of an upgrade over the PS5. Show us Death Stranding 2 running at 60fps with greater fidelity, show us CP77 with far greater ray tracing performance at 60fps, Outlaws running at 4K with PSSR. Something other than mostly cross gen games, R&C that can easily run on a well equipped PC, and SM2.

Represent.

The fact that you realistically have to spend $800 if you want your PS5 Pro set up properly or “maxed out”, with the disk drive and stand is kind of ridiculous honestly. $600 would’ve been a far easier sell for me, personally, to have the best place to play GTA 6 until it comes to PC.

At $700 to really $800 with all of the necessities, that’s encroaching uncomfortably close to the PC space. Especially, when there wasn’t a single new first party title by Sony shown, or any heavy/intensive game today that really highlighted why the Pro is that much of an upgrade over the PS5. Show us Death Stranding 2 running at 60fps with greater fidelity, show us CP77 with far greater ray tracing performance at 60fps, Outlaws running at 4K with PSSR. Something other than mostly cross gen games, R&C that can easily run on a well equipped PC, and SM2.
Been saying it for years, Sony sucks at marketing this gen - They are getting by on brandpower and nostalgia

mrqs

Why? Isn’t that exactly what this upgraded console is for?

60fps at quality resolution is why I’m buying this.
For some, sure. Hopefully, devs keep the quality and performance options and enhance them in their games. I think this is the most likely option.

If this is how high-end AAA gaming runs at times (we have several examples of lacking games), I would completely accept a quality bump.

This planet in Outlaws looks like it never got out of alpha. It looks completely unpolished, unfinished, and without enough QA testing. It's insane how this was shipped in a $70 game. This is the 40fps mode on the Xbox Series X. It completely fell apart.

Ab6mY7P.png

(btw: would love to know how you guys make high-quality gifs!)

Last edited:

vivftp

The fact that not a SINGLE first party studio had a game to show or reveal and they had to trot out the fucking last of us 2, a ps4 game, for the fucking bridge between console five and SIX(!!!) is ridiculous

I mean what is going on with the first parties?? Genuinely? Their pipeline is clogged like a damn sewage drain. The Spider-Man 2 gameplay reveal was a century ago and that was all they had to show at the time and still no showcase in sight to this day. Instead showing $750 hardware (including tax in that) and goddamn hogwarts legacy running on it. Hopeless

Todays event was about the Pro and its improvements over the base PS5, not about introducing new games. The Pro is coming in at a high price point and even if they had shown any new games here, they would have been drowned out by the discourse over the price point so why bother? The new games will get moment to shine in the sun and it's best that they get that opportunity when all eyes are there to specifically see them and they don't have to be revealed under the shadow of the PS5 Pro price point.

No developer (first or third party) would want to have their game reveal overshadowed in such a way. If it were a scenario where the Pro price was lower then maybe things could be different, but that's not the case in this instance. I had previously anticipated a Showcase where they started with the Pro reveal and then showed off everything running on the Pro, but with the info we've learned from todays event, it makes sense why they'd want to separate them. There's ample time for them to show off future games running on the Pro before pre-orders open in 2 weeks and in the 2 months leading up to release.

SlimySnake

For some, sure. Hopefully, devs keep the quality and performance options and enhance them in their games. I think this is the most likely option.

If this is how high-end AAA gaming runs at times (we have several examples of lacking games), I would completely accept a quality bump.

This planet in Outlaws looks like it never got out of alpha. It looks completely unpolished, unfinished, and without enough QA testing. It's insane how this was shipped in a $70 game. This is the 40fps mode on the Xbox Series X. It completely fell apart.

Ab6mY7P.png

(btw: would love to know how you guys make high-quality gifs!)
Gifcam.

Dont download it from any other place.

Just start it and overlay it on top of any video player or youtube. adjust the size of the video and press record. you can edit out frames manually. I use 16 frames per second because 33 fps gifs are massive and a 2 second gif could become 30 MB. 10 fps gifs are too choppy so i stay away from those.

Another problem with this software is that it doesnt work well with high quality 4k capture because in order to keep the size small, you have to downscale the window and that adds shimmering and other artifacts. you can reduce the resolution of your monitor and that will help reduce the shimmering and thats why i capture all my pc videos at 1440p instead of 4k. I mostly use 900*600 and that keeps 2-3 second gifs around 10-15 MB. sometimes when i notice shimmering i increase the size to 1100*550.

I then upload them to imgur which downgrades the videos even further but its the best such site ive found so far. oh and turn off HDR because this app doesnt work well with it. thats why i always say that the game looks better on my screen.

For best results, you should use your own captures because youtube compression removes all the detail. I use a USB to move stuff from my ps5 to pc.

Top Bottom