• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
RDR2 has better water physics in lakes and stuff but that feature is only available on PC. I haven’t seen something done like that on consoles - much less at a high framerate. And the thing I see in astrobot I haven’t seen before is when the water or slime or whatever liquid reacts properly to other pieces of the environment - sliding into crevices and dripping down things. This is in addition to all out destruction on levels like the sauna level and thousands of high fidelity physical objects in the world and soft body physics on practically everything.

No, not all of it has gameplay applications but just because it’s havok-level/older techniques doesn’t mean it’s not advanced to me, because I don’t see this happening in any other games. If they’ve found a way to do it at high fidelity and 60fps, then other games should be able to do that too. Just Cause 4 has great physics and destruction and is obviously a different kind of game where that matters more to the core gameplay - but I still don’t recall it doing nearly as much or having as much on screen with the fluid and objects and no slow down. TOTK does a lot for what it is and it’s the same base technology but doesn’t do fluid the same and the objects are all cartoony, slow moving and the game runs at 25 fps half the time.

The fact is most games this gen have tried to completely bypass doing anything special with physics or fluid is a huge problem for me. Astrobot manages to look good and have all of it, I’m not a platformer guy, but it is undoubtedly impressive and feels like a step forward. It’s less about the game itself. This should be something most games attempt to do because playing this game it’s obvious having a fully physically realized and reactive world makes a huge difference. Beyond even pathtracing I’d say.

Now yes GTA6 with the hair and rumored water sim stuff should be on another level of impressive - if they pull it off. And I am praying they do.
Like i said, it is still impressive because very few games have this huge amount of physics crammed into one title but i'm still of the idea that the more graphic fidelity you have, the hardest is to do physics that looks real (harder both to code and to render with a shitty console hardware)

In zelda you can get away with a tree always breaking in 2 parts in the same exact way all the time, with wukong graphic you need physics that looks the part, you can't get away with cartoony\not accurate physics, it would look out of place.

Even the part with 1000 objects in astro, sure they have basic interaction with each other, basic havok, but we know that objects don't just bounce to each other, they have edges they have angles that can stuck each other, what you see when you walk through them and they move is just the most basic physics possible, there is no real advanced micro-interactions between the objects, it's like they have a small force field around them so the only interaction possible is to bounce.

This is why althought i'm impressed by the quantity, i'm not impressed by the quality because it is already stuff that i saw before, even 15 years ago, just having many objects doesn't impress me anymore like it would have done mybe 5-10 years agol or maybe i'm jist asking too much from these hardwares.

It''s like seeing yet another game with snow\sand simulation that look like the past 10 games with snow\sand deformation, it's not impressive anymore even if the whole level is covered in snow, because the tech behind is still the same.

I'm un-impressevely impressed by astro, if that make sense :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But i'm gonna investigate more on the jelly physics that you pointed out, i remebner another game with goop physics but i can't remember the name, maybe the gloop or something like that, it had a black female kid protagonist and it was a gamepass game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You wanna take this outside???
send.gif

Like i said, it is still impressive because very few games have this huge amount of physics crammed into one title but i'm still of the idea that the more graphic fidelity you have, the hardest is to do physics that looks real (harder both to code and to render with a shitty console hardware)

In zelda you can get away with a tree always breaking in 2 parts in the same exact way all the time, with wukong graphic you need physics that looks the part, you can't get away with cartoony\not accurate physics, it would look out of place.

Even the part with 1000 objects in astro, sure they have basic interaction with each other, basic havok, but we know that objects don't just bounce to each other, they have edges they have angles that can stuck each other, what you see when you walk through them and they move is just the most basic physics possible, there is no real advanced micro-interactions between the objects, it's like they have a small force field around them so the only interaction possible is to bounce.

This is why althought i'm impressed by the quantity, i'm not impressed by the quality because it is already stuff that i saw before, even 15 years ago, just having many objects doesn't impress me anymore like it would have done mayne 5-10 years ago.

It''s like seeing yet another game with snow\sand simulation that look lile the past 10 games with snow\sand deformation, it's not impressive anymore even if the whole level is covered in snow, because the tech behind is still the same.

I'm un-impressevely impressed by astro, if that make sense :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But i'm gonna investigate more on the jelly physics that you pointed out, i remebner another game with goop physics but i can't remember the name, maybe the gloop or something like that, it had a black female kid protagonist and it was a gamepass game.
I will say the smoke in wukong is also very impressive

GymWolf

Gold Member
I will say the smoke in wukong is also very impressive
And how fluffy the cloud at the beginning look, most fluffier cloud i ever seen (the one you ride).

But the game has some first class effect, probably the best fire i ever seen, the water tech is pretty weak tho, the water per see look great, but the interaction is quite basic.

Last edited:
You people don’t deserve Astrobot

“We want actual interactions and simulations in games everything is still so statiiiiic”

“Oh okay! Well here’s a 94 meta, 60fps, retail console game pushing dynamic simulations and physics in every level only before seen on advanced PCs!”

“well um… it uhhhh… well ya see other games in the past have uhh also had some physics in them… so ummm… yeah therefore it’s not impressive! Dogshit! Try again team asobi!”

GymWolf

Gold Member

“We want actual interactions and simulations in games everything is still so statiiiiic”

“Oh okay! Well here’s a 94 meta, 60fps, retail console game pushing dynamic simulations and physics in every level only before seen on advanced PCs!”

“well um… it uhhhh… well ya see other games in the past have uhh also had some physics in them… so ummm… yeah therefore it’s not impressive! Dogshit! Try again team asobi!”
Dude we already have the official topic where you can't talk freely without being eaten alive by fanboys, we definitely don't need that shit in this topic:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Msamy

Yes we deserve true current gen hardcore titles from sony first party studios which is didnt happen until now and we are in the middle of this gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

this thread loves to downplay achievements in graphics. we are all a bunch of negative nancys. i went through this last year with Starfield, FF16, Spiderman 2. Despite their issues, they were doing some really cool next gen things, but got a lot of pushback because other games may or may not have done it on the ps3 at far less fidelity.

maybe its because im starved for next gen stuff so i get giddy over small things like spiderman getting thrown across NYC or toilet paper physics in starfield or big monster battles in FF16, but i would rather have something than nothing. definitely disappointed by astrobot not looking like horizon legos, but im thrilled that they are putting at least the CPU to good use.

Last edited:
this thread loves to downplay achievements in graphics. we are all a bunch of negative nancys. i went through this last year with Starfield, FF16, Spiderman 2. Despite their issues, they were doing some really cool next gen things, but got a lot of pushback because other games may or may not have done it on the ps3 at far less fidelity.

maybe its because im starved for next gen stuff so i get giddy over small things like spiderman getting thrown across NYC or toilet paper physics in starfield or big monster battles in FF16, but i would rather have something than nothing. definitely disappointed by astrobot not looking like horizon legos, but im thrilled that they are putting at least the CPU to good use.
Didn’t we have someone here actually debating horizon 2 over the matrix demo? Unironically?

Last edited:
Hopefully they are gonna push more than 10 years old physics to keep me engaged:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
What was that game 10 years ago pushing Astrobot physics? Send me a YouTube link so I can see

The only things were games running Nvidia physx (RIP:messenger_loudly_crying:). The GOATED Batman Arkham games had amazing smoke, particle and cloth physx and I believe some games pushed fluid simulations like borderlands with physx on but that’s it. And at the time those required a beast of a rig. I should know, I owned one and played them all. And even then as a middle schooler I longed for a mainstream console game with physics like the nvidia physx games. And here we are. And I couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:
I think we also had people unironically comparing a tech demo with full fledged games, the matrix demo was a source of laugh for many reasons :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
dude if it’s about to come out that you’re anti matrix demo in addition to this Astrobot blunder of yours I’m gonna loooose my little mind

GymWolf

Gold Member
What was that game 10 years ago pushing Astrobot physics? Send me a YouTube link so I can see

The only things were games running Nvidia physx (RIP:messenger_loudly_crying:). The GOATED Batman Arkham games had amazing smoke, particle and cloth physx and I believe some games pushed fluid simulations like borderlands with physx on but that’s it. And at the time those required a beast of a rig. I should know, I owned one and played them all. And even then as a middle schooler I longed for a mainstream console game with physics like the nvidia physx games. And here we are. And I couldn’t be happier.
Nvidia physics was all about particles right? Like water particles and shooting on the ground to make rubbles and shit.

No idea why they abandoned that, it was cool as fuck.

GymWolf

Gold Member
dude if it’s about to come out that you’re anti matrix demo in addition to this Astrobot blunder of yours I’m gonna loooose my little mind
Being against are big words, i was super impressed by the chase sequence,probably the most photorealistic scene in any real time shit i ever "played", way less impressed by the playable section, mostly because i literally just crashed my car for 10 min to watch the damage system, and i wasn't fully satisfied (good but not exceptional but it was too random, you could crash at high velocity with barely a scratch).

Also, i understsnd the fact that a tech demo with very limited interaction, almost zero ia etc. Can't be taken as an example of how a game like gta6 or any big open world game could look.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No. Particles. Fluids. Cloth. Smoke. Hair. It was everything man
I only played bd2 and arkham knight with nvidia physics, what other game had that?

Wait, is tress fx for hairs in tomb raider or witcher 3 considered nvidia physics?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I’m encouraged. It looks good. Not industry leading, but AC has never been that, except maybe Unity. They even designed a woman character that isn’t ugly! Definitely a significant leap over Valhalla.

The locations looks good like most ubisoft games, the characters still have that old gen flavour that i can't shake off (mostly the faces), but better than outlaws or avatar human faces, that's for sure (at least the 2 protagonists)

I'm curious to see how tushima 2 is gonna look compared to this, they are gonna be basically the same game so comparison are gonna be easy to do.

Last edited:
The locations looks good like most ubisoft games, the characters still have that old gen flavour that i can't shake off (mostly the faces), but better than outlaws or avatar human faces, that's for sure (at least the 2 protagonists)

I'm curious to see how tushima 2 is gonna look compared to this, they are gonna be basically the same game so comparison are gonna be easy to do.
Tsushima will eat this alive

This has to run on series S baseline. Ghosts 2 has PS5 baseline. This game looks marginally better than ghosts 1. Sucker punch was doing second son while Ubisoft was doing watch dogs. The talent disparity is considerable

GooseMan69

From what I’ve seen so far, character models are way better than their last few games, which is a low bar, but yeah.

Tsushima 2 is gonna blow our tits off. The first game still looks fantastic. Art design is immaculate.

Flabagast

This has to run on series S baseline. Ghosts 2 has PS5 baseline. This game looks marginally better than ghosts 1. Sucker punch was doing second son while Ubisoft was doing watch dogs. The talent disparity is considerable
No mate, world simulation will be much much more advanced than Tsushima (it was barely non existent in this game, talking about NPC reactions, animals, physics). Also I expect much more diverse locations and a better sense of place overall.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I think it look better than got in some things (general texture work, probably lights system, water tech, vegetation rendering) but just slightly better when it comes to characters and ncps.

Wasn't watch dogs still considered a looker on pc even after the downgrade?

i don't think this look worse than infamous tbh, ubisoft still had huge graphic talents when they made wd1

Watch-dogs-ps4-screen-2.jpg

719Zr-GJgAL.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
From what I’ve seen so far, character models are way better than their last few games, which is a low bar, but yeah.

Tsushima 2 is gonna blow our tits off. The first game still looks fantastic. Art design is immaculate.
Tsushima art design is what does the heavy lifting in that game, i think valhalla had some better graphical aspects (stuff like the water tech was legit a generation better, not even joking) but the art design of tsushima is so strong that it make it look better than it is.

I think days gone was technically better than tsushima but with a far less striking art design.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No mate, world simulation will be much much more advanced than Tsushima (it was barely non existent in this game, talking about NPC reactions, animals, physics). Also I expect much more diverse locations and a better sense of place overall.
Yep, tsushima has barely any interactions with npcs and shit and there wasn't much going on in the open world in term of dynamic events and stuff, just your occasional bear fucking up mongols and maybe some scripted encounters, the last ac games have some systemic shit going on between the animal ecosystem and nice stuff like the enemies moving the corpse of the death inside the camps.

Tsushima was mostly nice to look at but very limited when it comes to world interaction.

Last edited:
I think it look better than got in some things (general texture work, probably lights system, water tech, vegetation rendering) but just slightly better when it comes to characters and ncps.

i don't think this look worse than infamous tbh, ubisoft still had huge graphic talents when they made wd1

719Zr-GJgAL.jpg
Lol no way you posted these marketing shots trying to help watch dogs

that ain’t gonna fly. You can’t weasel your way out of this one like with Astrobot. I played both at launch on PS4. Which had WD on PC “high” settings. I then bought WD on pc later and maxed it out on ultra. Second son destroyed it in every aspect except water and maybe world reaction? The turning off the lights thing was neat. But it always looked like a shiny PS3 game, which it was, compared to second son

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Both AC and GoT 2 will probably be able to run on PCs with lower specs than the Series S.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol no way you posted these marketing shots trying to help watch dogs

that ain’t gonna fly. You can’t weasel your way out of this one like with Astrobot. I played both at launch on PS4. Which had WD on PC “high” settings. I then bought WD on pc later and maxed it out on ultra. Second son destroyed it in every aspect except water and maybe world reaction? The turning off the lights thing was neat. But it always looked like a shiny PS3 game, which it was, compared to second son
Dude i was asking to you, i literally said this "Wasn't watch dogs still considered a looker on pc even after the downgrade?"
That is the first decent screenshot i found of watch dogs, and from what i remember the game was still considered a looker on pc, but i have no idea about marketing shots, it was a 30 sec search to find the 2 games in kinda similar moment with a similar camera shot.
I don't have a strong opinion, i love infamous and hate watch dogs so if if infamous looks better i can only be happy for that, it means that my memory is fucked.
But i replayed infamous recently and i don't think it DESTROY watch dogs on pc, it is probably better in some things, similar in other, and worse in others, but again, i have no strong memory or opinion about the game.

I bought wd1 for like 4 dollars on pc, played 30 min and erased the whole thing, but it was years ago.

Don't see every discussion like a fucking competition dude, we are just discussing, calm down a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And whene did i exactly weaseld out from astrobot? i said in my initial post what where the games that did the same thing that astro does, do you really want a list of all the games with havok, basic water tech, etc.?
I thought we were past that and were just fucking with each other...

Last edited:
Dude i was asking to you, i literally said this "Wasn't watch dogs still considered a looker on pc even after the downgrade?"
That is the first decent screenshot i found of watch dogs, and from what i remember the game was still considered a looker on pc, but i have no idea about marketing shots, it was a 30 sec search to find the 2 games in kinda similar moment with a similar camera shot.
I don't have a strong opinion, i love infamous and hate watch dogs so if if infamous looks better i can only be happy for that, it means that my memory is fucked.
But i replayed infamous recently and i don't think it DESTROY watch dogs on pc, it is probably better in some things, similar in other, and worse in others, but again, i have no strong memory or opinion about the game.

I bought wd1 for like 4 dollars on pc, played 30 min and erased the whole thing, but it was years ago.

Don't see every discussion like a fucking competition dude, we are just discussing, calm down a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And whene did i exactly weaseld out from astrobot? i said in my initial post what where the games that did the same thing that astro does, do you really want a list of all the games with havok, basic water tech, etc.?
The Astrobot thing was a joke bro! :(

but if you were just asking about WD then let me confirm no. On pc it looked better than console but still nowhere near infamous

….. you are wrong about AB though …. ;)

I’m encouraged. It looks good. Not industry leading, but AC has never been that, except maybe Unity. They even designed a woman character that isn’t ugly! Definitely a significant leap over Valhalla.

They picked great choices for this trailer. Lots of foliage with dynamic time of day showing how the shadows morph during the cycle, honestly this is a lot of what current gen is about.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Biggest mistake in your life, game itself wasn't bad.

I only tried because people was saying how good the combat was but it felt off to me, also driving was pretty shit if i remember well, it was more like a 1-2 hours try than 30 min.

The hacker thing is what i always liked about wd concept.

I'm gonna test the game myself when it gets a big discount, better being pessimist and having a surprise than the opposite:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Woah woah wait wait wait record scratch moment here, you haven’t even… played it yet…? This whole time?? Lol maaaan get outta here. Let’s discuss further after you’ve actually touched the game

PeteBull

719Zr-GJgAL.jpg
Played ISS and first watch dogs on my trusty ps4 and infamous looked much better on top of running much smoother, back then sony 1st party actually put in the work, hell WD on ps4 ran at 900p only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom