• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Woah woah wait wait wait record scratch moment here, you haven’t even… played it yet…? This whole time?? Lol maaaan get outta here. Let’s discuss further after you’ve actually touched the game
Didn't i said that i don't like platforms :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But i saw the lenghty physics compilation video, but sure some stuff maybe wasn't in the video.

I don't think that never playing suicide squad ever stopped you from shitt...umm talking about it :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
I said multiple times that i don't like platforms, maybe you weren't paying attention :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But i saw the lenghty physics compilation video, but sure some stuff maybe wasn't in the video.

I don't think that never playing suicide squad ever stopped you from shitt...umm talking about it :lollipop_squinting:
I wasn’t :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wasn’t :messenger_neutral:
Yeah unfortunately i fell off the pure platform genre around ps2 era, i can still play (but not enjoy THAT much) very combat focused platformers like ratcher or knack because the platforming is basic and there isn't a lot of it, but astro seems like a more pure platformer even if it has some basic combat, bosses etc.

Before you ask, knack was gifted wth the ps4 and i got knack 2 when sony mistakenly priced the game super low in digital (they then corrected the mistake after a while)

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately i fell off the pure platform genre around ps2 era, i can still play (but not enjoy THAT much) very combat focused platformers like ratcher or knack because the platforming is basic and there isn't a lot of it, but astro seems like a more pure platformer even if it has some basic combat, bosses etc.
It’s basically the best game ever

GymWolf

Gold Member
Here Crimson desert gameplay video provided by developers themselves instead also its still youtube but the quality is better

Can't wait for this one, even after the noticeable downgrade, it just looks fun to play and explore.

hopefully this is gonna be what dogma 2 should have been and not another wet fart.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I’m encouraged. It looks good. Not industry leading, but AC has never been that, except maybe Unity. They even designed a woman character that isn’t ugly! Definitely a significant leap over Valhalla.

Agreed.

The last gen almost cartoony lighting art style isnt helping its cause, but if you look past that and look at the actual fidelity, it's rather impressive. I think people are going to be pleasently surprised by how dense this world will feel both in the forests and the towns. Especially after valhalla which had some of the sorriest towns ever.

I love what they are doing with dynamic weather. One of my favorite features in Days Gone. I wish they had gone for Black Myth's more realistic lighting but the forest seems to be just as dense and foliage rich despite being open world unlike Black Myth.

As for the Tsushima comparisons, it's hard to say. Tsushima and AC Valhalla both had their strong points, but i picked Tsushima over Valhalla because of the cinematography. valhalla was far more dense but i played the PS5 version. remember Valhalla's PS5 version got a big boost in foliage whereas Sucker Punch just did a res booth for GoT. Draw distance was better in valhalla but overall the game world just felt bland compared to the beautiful Japanese setting of Tsushima. I think Tsushima will have a hard time beating this game because they are both set in this gorgeous land and are going for the same aesthetic. Doubt Sucker Punch changes their art style to a more realistic one, and there is no way they are matching the NPC work thousands of ubisoft devs are putting into making Japanese towns come alive. SP is a very small 130 person studio.

I also dont know if SP will target native 4k like insomniac, GG, BP and ND or drop resolution to 1440p to push fidelity. if they do then its possible it will eat AC's lunch when it comes to foliage quality and lighting, but i still think valhalla will have a richer world simply because its made by 10x more developers.

Didn't i said that i don't like platforms :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Most of the stuff is in the video - but I will say playing it yourself might impress you more than you realize. It’s one of those things that can really only be fully appreciated by playing through it

It’s a fun little game. Good platformer - better than Mario Oddysey. Personally it’s not really my genre either tho, although I’ve somehow played a lot of the most recent ones.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yo i'm surprised by the quality and variety of animations for the npcs inside the city of crimson desert, for being an AA they have a very lively looking city.

RavionUHD

The desert region in Star Wars Outlaws look fantastic too!
Some screenshots on PC with HDR, ReShade, DLDSR, DLSS and Raytracing.

1726191257321-jpeg.1469516

1726191284037-jpeg.1469517

1726191337381-jpeg.1469518

1726191432328-jpeg.1469520

1726191364581-jpeg.1469519

mrqs

Another new video showcasing some visual features. I hate to shill for Ubisoft, but it seriously looks awesome. It shits on Outlaws and Avatar imo. I hope the actual game isn’t a snooze fest like Valhalla.

They really did something super nice with all that destructibility. Dope to see!

GooseMan69

One thing I’ve noticed about Shadows is the drastically improved cloth physics as well. Small thing, but it’s some of the best I’ve seen.

Overall, shaping up really nicely. Watching these videos with headphones honestly gives me RDR2 vibes. Open world ambience will be incredible. I am super bullish on this game now. I will be so sad if Ubi fucks it up.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve noticed about Shadows is the drastically improved cloth physics as well. Small thing, but it’s some of the best I’ve seen.

Overall, shaping up really nicely. Watching these videos with headphones honestly gives me RDR2 vibes. Open world ambience will be incredible. I am super bullish on this game now. I will be so sad if Ubi fucks it up.
Everything looks to be in order gameplay and graphically but what I think will keep this from a 90+ meta is the story/acting/writing seems to be dull bog standard early 2000s “just an excuse to give context to gameplay” tier stuff. Which has been ubisofts thing for the past decade or so

Which is a real shame because their stories used to be amazing and top tier in the industry in my opinion. Ending of AC4 gave me a lump in my throat I was genuinely choked up. And the AC games always had pretty underrated deep themes

Last edited:

Msamy

Another new video showcasing some visual features. I hate to shill for Ubisoft, but it seriously looks awesome. It shits on Outlaws and Avatar imo. I hope the actual game isn’t a snooze fest like Valhalla.

Anvil engine next gen upgrade looks really good,, ubisoft did very well this gen in terms of upgrading their game engines

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Everything looks to be in order gameplay and graphically but what I think will keep this from a 90+ meta is the story/acting/writing seems to be dull bog standard early 2000s “just an excuse to give context to gameplay” tier stuff. Which has been ubisofts thing for the past decade or so

Which is a real shame because their stories used to be amazing and top tier in the industry in my opinion. Ending of AC4 gave me a lump in my throat I was genuinely choked up. And the AC games always had pretty underrated deep themes

Definitely am not expecting a top tier story from Ubi in 2024. I will say, the female lead has potential to be one of the coolest AC protagonists ever. Awesome design.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Crimson desert are gonna be one of the best looking titles in the for this gen,really amazing
Really? It looks very downgraded compared to the reveal (it has been a while since i watched the reveal but i remember being way more impressed)

Characters look whatever, texture work seems on the weak side.

The scope seems to be great but the game graphically doesn't impress me much, something like fable is probably gonna look much much better.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just saw the famous cutscene that slimy was talking about and i'm stillctryimg to understand where the fuck he saw the super advanced hair tech...the old hag has basic hairs tech where they reunite hairs to make big chunks because they can't animate single hair and the young chick has good looking hair but they barely move...

Fifa replays are still far, far better it's not even funny.

Btw, the young fox chick may be one of the cutest asian female character i ever seen in a vg, she is so...cute :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I missed so much a game where nobody is an ugly fuck :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Really? It looks very downgraded compared to the reveal (it has been a while since i watched the reveal but i remember being way more impressed)

The scope seems to be great but the game graphically doesn't impress me much, something like fable is probably gonna look much much better.
Yeah the character models and facial animations are pretty rough but the scale of the world and the lod look good even if you can saw some pop in.

It's a detail but why they made his footstep so loud ? When the character walks on cobblestone, it looks like he is walking on sand. It's a little disturbing.

CGNoire

No it didn’t impress

There’s a physic thread for you to go to. Graphic wise it’s nothing to write home about

Just like the king of physics is not mentioned in this thread other than an « ugly » game, even though imo it looks ton better and more impressive than astrobots. Considering the level of physics, destruction and all with ray tracing because otherwise it would look wack when open up a wall and the sun rays don’t come in

Know why it’s not talked here? Because these peoples want horizon level of graphics with teardown level of destructions ultimately.

Cant wait for Minecraft 2 to match this.

Just saw the famous cutscene that slimy was talking about and i'm stillctryimg to understand where the fuck he saw the super advanced hair tech...the old hag has basic hairs tech where they reunite hairs to make big chunks because they can't animate single hair and the young chick has good looking hair but they barely move...

Fifa replays are still far, far better it's not even funny.

Btw, the young fox chick may be one of the cutest asian female character i ever seen in a vg, she is so...cute :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I missed so much a game where nobody is an ugly fuck :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
What game are we talking about?

CGNoire

Really

Like real water..

I’ll let the thread veterans chime in

If real water behaves like that I don’t feel like wasting my time. Blender fluid simulation doesn’t even look close to real water. Best thing I’ve seen come close are these new AI simulations.

Doing a spin and the ground is dry afterwards when the paste looking water just splashed away

It cool it’s in a game, I’m not saying devs haven’t worked hard for it. Just doesn’t look good to me.

But choice of words is important. Nowhere close real water.
Way too Viscous

CGNoire

Nah i take as many Ls as we have stars in the sky (or the correct english version of this sentence), this is hardly one of them.

I'm just trying to point out the difference between having a lot of physics and having advanced physics, it is not the same thing.

Sorry if i don't get excited to see the same physics i saw in the past 15 years just because it's all crammed in one title, is it to hard to understand?

Burnout series has a lot of destruction, but it doesn't have the advanced destruction of beam ng.
Yep not impressed. I played with these same physx demos back in 2010 with nvidia gtx 260....which was like what half a teraflop of power. It looked just as jelly like back then.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Man, I've been quite impressed with the FFXVI demo on PC. It's often stunning.

It really is one of those games where screenshots don't do it justice, particularly on PC where I'm seeing these real-time cutscenes at 100+ fps.

Regardless, a few of my shots (max settings, 4K/DLAA):

53992162105_128b56fc41_o.png

53991735031_9f37977610_o.png

53991968588_29c152ba29_o.png

Last edited:

Jesb

I started playing Kena finally and wow what a beauty this one is. I know it’s on the lower end in terms of size and scope but it’s an incredible looking artistic gem.

Msamy

The lighting and world rendering tech of this game looks amazing watch video I posted that provided by developers not ign, also I don't see any dawngrade on this game from reveal ,may be they need to improve textures, and also from 50 minutes gameplay i am sure they using RTGI and in some locations I saw rt reflections,

analog_future analog_future

As far as FF16 goes, the beginnign parts are amazing and then you come just before half way of the game and some assets look like 2 generations behind. It looked so good in the beginning then some areas started looking bland and washed out. So inconsistent.

SlimySnake

analog_future analog_future

As far as FF16 goes, the beginnign parts are amazing and then you come just before half way of the game and some assets look like 2 generations behind. It looked so good in the beginning then some areas started looking bland and washed out. So inconsistent.
The mountains in the prologue area looked so great and then you get to the open world mountain area and it looks nothing like it. Such a shame.

That said, the game's graphics continued to impress me all the way till the end. Especially the linear story levels. It's definitely inconsistent but its mostly inconsistent in the open world chapters. FF7 rebirth on the other hand is consistently inconsistent.

SlimySnake

Some of these Crimson Desert gifs floating around on twitter are absolutely insane. Just an awe-inspiring draw distance. Lighting is so fucking good. The sheer density of NPCs and interactivity is also very impressive.

I find it funny that we dismissed games like Wukong and Crimson Desert as vaporware when they are openly releasing long ass demos to show us they were never faking it. yes, there have been downgrades in both games, but its refreshing to see asian devs be so open about showing more and more of their games. the level of secrecy in the games industry is just too much. Everyone is afraid of showing their games for fear of getting backlash online, and rightfully so, but we have ended up in this insane scenario where so many devs have gone 4-5 years without showing what they are working on. No one can talk about it. Devs are wasting years of their lives on a project publishers feel ok to cancel because no one outside the studio has even seen it. I wonder if factions wouldve been cancelled had people seen ND's first full open world in action. Sony wouldnt fucking dare.

Tomb Raider has been in development since they released Avengers exactly 4 years ago this month. It's on UE5. So was black myth. Black Myth devs were showing off the game every few months through out its dev cycle. Crystal Dynamics on the other hand wont even talk about it.

Cory Barlog has been making his new IP since 2018. Thats six years. He cant talk about what hes been working on for SIX FUCKING YEARS. Imagine going to work and you cant tell anyone what you have been working on. Nolan has made two movies during this time. And won an oscar.

Same goes for Bend, ND, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, and even Rockstar who took five years just to give us a 2 minute trailer then went silent for the next 10 months. like wtf. Fuck the internet hate mob. they will always find a way to shit on the game. I saw some moron in the ac trailer thread call it trash in the very first reply. you cant control the hate mob. let them be. Show us the fucking games.

Msamy

Some of these Crimson Desert gifs floating around on twitter are absolutely insane. Just an awe-inspiring draw distance. Lighting is so fucking good. The sheer density of NPCs and interactivity is also very impressive.

I find it funny that we dismissed games like Wukong and Crimson Desert as vaporware when they are openly releasing long ass demos to show us they were never faking it. yes, there have been downgrades in both games, but its refreshing to see asian devs be so open about showing more and more of their games. the level of secrecy in the games industry is just too much. Everyone is afraid of showing their games for fear of getting backlash online, and rightfully so, but we have ended up in this insane scenario where so many devs have gone 4-5 years without showing what they are working on. No one can talk about it. Devs are wasting years of their lives on a project publishers feel ok to cancel because no one outside the studio has even seen it. I wonder if factions wouldve been cancelled had people seen ND's first full open world in action. Sony wouldnt fucking dare.

Tomb Raider has been in development since they released Avengers exactly 4 years ago this month. It's on UE5. So was black myth. Black Myth devs were showing off the game every few months through out its dev cycle. Crystal Dynamics on the other hand wont even talk about it.

Cory Barlog has been making his new IP since 2018. Thats six years. He cant talk about what hes been working on for SIX FUCKING YEARS. Imagine going to work and you cant tell anyone what you have been working on. Nolan has made two movies during this time. And won an oscar.

Same goes for Bend, ND, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, and even Rockstar who took five years just to give us a 2 minute trailer then went silent for the next 10 months. like wtf. Fuck the internet hate mob. they will always find a way to shit on the game. I saw some moron in the ac trailer thread call it trash in the very first reply. you cant control the hate mob. let them be. Show us the fucking games.
They have confidence to share 50 minutes amazing current gen gameplay video of their game, that's enough for me, in other hand sony first party lazy developers and cunts at management have big goals like playing casual game like astrobo, updating cross gen titles for ps5 pro and develop games like concord, sony first party right now are like big box of lazy and piece of shit developers and management.

Last edited:

We need to go back to how things used to be. I get it devs, it puts pressure into your teams when you've already set expectations for a game but this simply isn't sustainable, Cory's example is an especially egregious one. I have no doubt it will be a beast, but these eternally short marketing cycles have to end.

Last edited:

I’m encouraged. It looks good. Not industry leading, but AC has never been that, except maybe Unity. They even designed a woman character that isn’t ugly! Definitely a significant leap over Valhalla.

Gotta say I’m actually impressed. The characters don’t look great but the simulations going on and the environment make up for it - and at least it will be a lot more fun than Star Wars outlaws gameplay wise. It’s funny we’re finally starting to get fully “next gen” games consistently 4 years in. This is the stuff I expected at the start not more than halfway through the life cycle…

GymWolf

Gold Member
The lighting and world rendering tech of this game looks amazing watch video I posted that provided by developers not ign, also I don't see any dawngrade on this game from reveal ,may be they need to improve textures, and also from 50 minutes gameplay i am sure they using RTGI and in some locations I saw rt reflections,
Yeah texture work is on the weaker side, i would be happy even if they fix just that.

Last edited:
Gotta say I’m actually impressed. The characters don’t look great but the simulations going on and the environment make up for it - and at least it will be a lot more fun than Star Wars outlaws gameplay wise. It’s funny we’re finally starting to get fully “next gen” games consistently 4 years in. This is the stuff I expected at the start not more than halfway through the life cycle…
coronavirus + capitalistic greed

Last edited:
Top Bottom