• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

That is what i always say, you can't have cartoony physics with high fidelity graphic or it would look terrible.

You can get away with zelda having trees that break always in 2 perfect parts, you can't do that when trees look like real trees in wukong.

Some physics emulation would be better than none whether its realistic or cartoony its better than the world being static

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What did we ever think of FF7 rebirth? I wasn’t active on here as much when it came out

Was thinking about getting it as it’s supposedly a GOTY contender 90+ metacritic game and was curious how it stacks up technically since it is PS5 only
Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth---PlayStation-5---The-FULL-Digital-Foundry-Tech-Review-6-2-screenshot.png

h0VFaO5.jpeg

Absolutely insane looking cutscenes though. If you thought FF16 cutscenes looked CGi, wait till you see just how insane these characters look with hero lighting.

Some of the open world segments do look good at times. Especially from afar. i actually liked the rock textures from a distance. but up close they fall apart. 90% of the assets in this game are barely ps4 quality. let alone ps5.

SlimySnake

Are you sure the game is only using 5-6GB. Technopower reports much greater vram usage, especially with RT on.

Tr73DH0.jpeg
yep. just ran it again in several different chapters. rt maxes out at 6.7 gb though i did spot one microsecond jump to 7.5 gb. still well under my 10 gb limit. without rt, im at 5.5 gb.

but as i was capturing my runs, i did find the root cause of the constant stutters. its the enemies. as soon as they appear and attack, the stutters completely destroy my frametime graph despite gpu usage being in the 50s and 60s (i was playing 1440p dlss performance very high RT settings with everything else set to high). as soon as i cleared out the enemies in that area or any other area, the frametime stabilized. the game is likely single threaded. the cpu usage is only in the teens which is a key indicator of poor multithreaded performance in my experience.

Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth---PlayStation-5---The-FULL-Digital-Foundry-Tech-Review-6-2-screenshot.png

h0VFaO5.jpeg

Absolutely insane looking cutscenes though. If you thought FF16 cutscenes looked CGi, wait till you see just how insane these characters look with hero lighting.

Some of the open world segments do look good at times. Especially from afar. i actually liked the rock textures from a distance. but up close they fall apart. 90% of the assets in this game are barely ps4 quality. let alone ps5.
Hm… so a small sliver is next gen but other wise a let down.

I’ll probably still get it. Apparently it’s really good as a game. I’m also interested in AC Shadows. The more I see the more I like. The fight they showed in the village, when the apple cart got destroyed and all the apples fell out the physics and quantity of items looked Astrobot quality

Only thing going against it are those goddamn colors. Or lack thereof I should say. It’s so wildly obvious they’re trying to differentiate visually from GoT which was VERY vibrant and had colors pop out the screen. Going for a more muted and subdued look but something about it just looks off

Last edited:

SlimySnake

AC shadows has some legit next gen tech that they are doing a pretty poor job showing in trailers. On twitter, ive seen several tweets about just how extensive their weather system really is, but on random channels. For example, the rain trickles down from the roof then accumulates on the ground creating puddles. The snow also accumulates in realtime and the ray traced lighting allows them to have this dynamic weather at any time of day or year regardless of the location. Previously in games a snow area would just be snow through out the game.

I did find a blogpost they released recently about the enhancements.

4-seasons.jpg

forest.jpg

RTGI

In order to improve image quality and ensure that Shadows is the best-looking Assassin's Creed ever, the team rescaled the world to more realistic ratios, added ray-tracing global illumination, and utilized micro polygon tech. "We've actually had some form of global illumination in Assassin's Creed for years," says Fortin. "But ray-tracing global illumination allows us to be much more dynamic."

In past Assassin's Creeds, global illumination was static; light would bounce off surfaces and diffuse realistically, but it wouldn't and couldn't adapt to environmental changes, and while previous games didn't allow for many environmental changes, Shadows is filled with them: Lights can be turned off and on, doors can be cut down or smashed through, and bamboo trees, market stalls, and fences can all be destroyed. Thanks to ray-tracing global illumination, the lighting interacting with all of these objects and environments will adjust accordingly.
Micro Polygon Tech/Nanite
Micro polygon tech may not be as familiar of a term as "ray-tracing," but Fortin highlights just how revolutionary the technology is, even though it's working behind the scenes. Because Assassin's Creed's vast open worlds have long sightlines and draw distances, developers can't render all visible assets at their full resolution. "Your GPU is going to melt if you do that," jokes Fortin.
To solve this problem in the past, developers had to build multiple assets with low, medium, and high polygonal counts, and swap them out as the player got closer to them. For example, a building that is visible from two kilometers away doesn't need to have the same level of detail as a building that's one meter away, and in the past, the same building would be swapped out with higher-fidelity models as a player moved throughout the world. With micro polygons, developers don't need to create multiple versions of the same asset to swap out.

"Think of micro polygons as sort of adaptable intelligent assets that know how to render themselves best based on their visibility and proximity to the player," says Fortin. Not only does this eliminate the need for developers to create multiple assets, but it allows them to budget GPU bandwidth more efficiently, allowing for increased polygon counts and better graphical fidelity up close.

Weather

When it came to creating the world, the team aimed for a level of interactivity previously unseen in the franchise. While ray-tracing global illumination and micro polygons help render the environment as the player affects the world, there was an opportunity to have world dynamism that affects the player, too. "Our goal was to make a world that looked good, but also had an impact on gameplay," says Dansereau.

Assassin's Creed Shadows features distinct seasons, these make the world visually distinct so that the same location can look and feel vastly different depending on the time of year. But the world can change even within those seasons thanks to dynamic weather, meaning that missions have several environmental factors that can all alter your gameplay experience. With ponds frozen over, for example, there'll be no taking cover beneath the water. Take on the same mission during a nighttime spring rainstorm, and you'll find your footsteps muffled by the rain and enemies less likely to spot you in the dark.

"We wanted a dynamic new feeling," says Fortin. "Both at the micro scale and the macro scale, so that when you see a storm coming, you can adapt how you play the game, knowing that it's going to make you stealthier when it's time to sneak into that castle."
I think they shouldve gone for a more photorealistic look like wukong. This art style is giving the game a very last gen look despite all the fancy tech under the hood.

Flabagast

I think they shouldve gone for a more photorealistic look like wukong. This art style is giving the game a very last gen look despite all the fancy tech under the hood.
100% agree.

This might well be one of the next gen game with some of the most impressive tech but the artstyle (notably choice of colors) prevent it from showing off in a good way

GymWolf

Gold Member
AC shadows has some legit next gen tech that they are doing a pretty poor job showing in trailers. On twitter, ive seen several tweets about just how extensive their weather system really is, but on random channels. For example, the rain trickles down from the roof then accumulates on the ground creating puddles. The snow also accumulates in realtime and the ray traced lighting allows them to have this dynamic weather at any time of day or year regardless of the location. Previously in games a snow area would just be snow through out the game.

4-seasons.jpg

forest.jpg

RTGI

Weather

As you say, a lot of fancy tech words for a game that graphically trade blows with a crossgen from 3 years ago...

Wukong look straight up a generation better than shadows.

SlimySnake

What do you mean? Japanese games were always top tier in terms of graphics. They ruled ps1 and ps2 era, they had a bit of a down moment in ps3 era (though we still had the usual suspects like MGS4, FFXIII, etc to save the asian day), but other than that, top tier.
I think he meant non-Japanese devs. Mostly chinese and korean devs who have led the charge. no offense to Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Nintendo and Namco, but they have all lagged behind the big hitters from the west since the ps3 days. Kojima is the exception, but other than that, they embraced cross gen just like western devs this gen. Re4, Elden Ring, and even next gen games like good looking Dragons Dogma, FF16, and FF7 dont even come close to these chinese/korean games. Both in terms of graphics and scale.

Wukong, Crimson Desert, Project M, and Black State all look a generation ahead of what Japanese devs have put out this gen.

no offense to Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Nintendo and Namco, but they have all lagged behind the big hitters from the west since the ps3 days.
Honestly, I can see Nintendo blowing us away more times than not soon. They've been working around 0.2 Maxwell TFLOPS since nearly eight years, the data around Switch 2 suggests it will be (at the very least) a 10x leap in raw compute and CPU power, so 2 TFLOPS minimum. The docked mode will logically be twice that, so basically there's an 4 TFLOPs profile available for them now.... That's a lot of grunt comparatively, and having access to mesh shaders will surely do something.

Last edited:

Msamy

4-seasons.jpg

forest.jpg

RTGI

Weather

Ubisoft studios stands out this gen in terms of graphics quality and adapting new tech into their engines

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Honestly, I can see Nintendo blowing us away more times than not soon. They've been working around 0.2 Maxwell TFLOPS since nearly eight years, the data around Switch 2 suggests it will be (at the very least) a 10x leap in raw compute and CPU power, so 2 TFLOPS minimum. The docked mode will logically be twice that, so basically there's an 4 TFLOPs profile available for them now.... That's a lot of grunt, and having access to mesh shaders will surely do something.
Nintendo is smart, they are never going into photorealistic territory or close to that, their games budget would levitate a lot.

I don't see them getting close to big boy developers even if they have the power to do that.

I expect next zelda to look lilìke that famous trailer, but that trailer hasn't been impressive for a hot minute...
I do expect them to go ham on physics with the next zelda tho.

Nintendo is smart, they are never going into photorealistic territory or close to that, their games budget would levitate a lot.

I don't see them getting close to big boy developers even if they have the power to do that.

I expect next zelda to look lilìke that famous trailer, but that trailer hasn't been impressive for a hot minute...
I do expect them to go ham on physics with the next zelda tho.
That might hold them back, yeah. Although after seeing Astro Bot and Ratchet with 30 million and 80 million budgets... I'm slightly optimistic, at least there won't be shit textures or lack of AA anymore.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That might hold them back, yeah. Although after seeing Astro Bot and Ratchet with 30 million and 80 million budgets... I'm slightly optimistic, at least there won't be shit textures or lack of AA anymore.
Dude we have shit textures even in fucking wukong, i fully expect nintendo games to have shit textures :lollipop_grinning_sweat: , 4 tf are not THAT much, they are still way behind a ps5 that in 2024 almost 25, it's already considered ancient.

I would not put much hope on nintendo when it comes to graphic tbh, they found their golden goose by not following high budget games while still asking 70 dollars, the fact that they are still making a fucking hybrid tablet over a powerfull home console is already a clear sign, they are not interested in the graphic race.

Last edited:
Dude we have shit textures even in fucking wukong, i fully expect nintendo games to have shit textures :lollipop_grinning_sweat: , 4 tf are not THAT much, they are still way behind a ps5 that in 2024 almost 25, it's already considered ancient.

I would not put much hope on nintendo when it comes to graphic tbh, they fund their golden goose by not following high budget games while still asking 70 dollars, the fact that they are still making a fucking hybrid tablet over a powerfull home console is already a clear sign.
There's definitely an spectrum of shit textures in the other hand :messenger_grinning_sweat:. Substandard trash like what was seen in the last Pokemon is likely behind us now, so that alone is an improvement. Apparently it has 12 GB of RAM, which is actually more than Series S for some reason (what's wrong with you Xbox)... The leap in power will be massive for their own standards, but comparatively to PS5 and so yeah... Still just an Nvidia branded Rog Ally.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There's definitely an spectrum of shit textures in the other hand :messenger_grinning_sweat:. Substandard trash like what was seen in the last Pokemon is likely behind us now, so that alone is an improvement. Apparently it has 12 GB of RAM, which is actually more than Series S for some reason (what's wrong with you Xbox)... The leap in power will be massive for their own standards, but comparatively to PS5 and so yeah... Still just an Nvidia branded Rog Ally.
Never underestimate how fucking lazy the pokemon devs can be:lollipop_squinting:

The xenoblades are probably gonna look great, too bad i don't give a fuck about their combat system :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Honestly, I can see Nintendo blowing us away more times than not soon. They've been working around 0.2 Maxwell TFLOPS since nearly eight years, the data around Switch 2 suggests it will be (at the very least) a 10x leap in raw compute and CPU power, so 2 TFLOPS minimum. The docked mode will logically be twice that, so basically there's an 4 TFLOPs profile available for them now.... That's a lot of grunt comparatively, and having access to mesh shaders will surely do something.
Well, I am not as optimistic as you. They said Zelda would look like this on the Wii U but even on a more advanced Switch hardware they didnt even come close. one could argue that its because of the open world but the indoor areas didnt look like that either.

ZeldaWiiU.gif

Then you have Metroid Prime looking like dogshit. Retro couldve chosen to make it a switch 2 exclusive, they chose to limit themselves to a dated hardware and then deliver quite possibly the ugliest first party game ive ever seen. It's linear too so the excuse mario odyssey and zelda botw dev teams had is not something Retro can hide behind. Though i am sure 60 fps aficionados would use that as an excuse.

Ubisoft made the best looking nintendo games. Rabbids 1 still looks amazing and it was practically a launch game. Nintendo just doesnt have the talent or the budget to make great looking games. I would be surprised if we get uncharted 4, Witcher 3, Batman AK and other mid gen PS4 visuals on the switch 2 from Nintendo first party, let alone late gen PS4 titles like TLOU2, Death Stranding, and GoT.

Switch_MetroidPrime4Beyond-scrn-18.jpg

TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_09.jpg

zelda-wii-u-tech-demo-2.gif

Well, I am not as optimistic as you. They said Zelda would look like this on the Wii U but even on a more advanced Switch hardware they didnt even come close. one could argue that its because of the open world but the indoor areas didnt look like that either.

ZeldaWiiU.gif

Then you have Metroid Prime looking like dogshit. Retro couldve chosen to make it a switch 2 exclusive, they chose to limit themselves to a dated hardware and then deliver quite possibly the ugliest first party game ive ever seen. It's linear too so the excuse mario odyssey and zelda botw dev teams had is not something Retro can hide behind. Though i am sure 60 fps aficionados would use that as an excuse.

Ubisoft made the best looking nintendo games. Rabbids 1 still looks amazing and it was practically a launch game. Nintendo just doesnt have the talent or the budget to make great looking games. I would be surprised if we get uncharted 4, Witcher 3, Batman AK and other mid gen PS4 visuals on the switch 2 from Nintendo first party, let alone late gen PS4 titles like TLOU2, Death Stranding, and GoT.

Switch_MetroidPrime4Beyond-scrn-18.jpg

TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_09.jpg

zelda-wii-u-tech-demo-2.gif
Admittedly MP4 doesn't seem to be a good comparison somewhat, but I understand they made it cross gen because it started dev before the specs for Switch 2 were finalized, we know they were around H2 2022. The Switch 1 isn't really a leap over the Wii U, they have almost the same TFLOP count and effective bandwidth with the exception that Maxwell could handle more advanced effects, but it means nothing when you can't run them regardless. This is a legit 10x leap, ten times... In comparison, we went from 1.8 TFLOPS to 10.3 TFLOPS this gen, which is only a 5.5 times difference. We'll definitely be blown away this time around, but always within the context that they were developing for a meager 0.2 TFLOPS of compute.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Admittedly MP4 doesn't seem to be a good comparison somewhat, but I understand they made it cross gen because it started dev before the specs for Switch 2 were finalized, we know they were around H2 2022. The Switch 1 isn't really a leap over the Wii U, they have almost the same TFLOP count with the exception that Maxwell could handle more advanced effects, but it means nothing when you can't run them regardless. This is a legit 10x leap, ten times... In comparison, we went from 1.8 TFLOPS to 10.3 TFLOPS this gen, which is only a 5.5 times difference.
you can always target specs and then scale down if nintendo couldnt meet those target specs. the hardware has been there since what? 2018?

regardless, we will see next month when switch 2 gets revealed according to rumors. I just dont see nintendo doing anything with a massive tflops upgrade. though, im pretty sure it wont be 10x in handheld mode. this is nintendo we are talking about. they will fuck this up to increase profit margins. i am expecting 1.5 tflops max in handheld and 3 in docked.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Japanese games were always top tier in terms of graphics. They ruled ps1 and ps2 era, they had a bit of a down moment in ps3 era (though we still had the usual suspects like MGS4, FFXIII, etc to save the asian day), but other than that, top tier.
I’m talking about Chinese and Korean developers more than Japan - it seems they’re getting better graphics out of this gen nearly all more established western companies and Japanese ones

Last edited:
you can always target specs and then scale down if nintendo couldnt meet those target specs. the hardware has been there since what? 2018?

regardless, we will see next month when switch 2 gets revealed according to rumors. I just dont see nintendo doing anything with a massive tflops upgrade. though, im pretty sure it wont be 10x in handheld mode. this is nintendo we are talking about. they will fuck this up to increase profit margins. i am expecting 1.5 tflops max in handheld and 3 in docked.
It's still a massive upgrade regardless... That's the kind of leap that allowed Arkham Knight and Uncharted 4 to happen back in 2015-2016 when we were starving for next gen games, 9x in that case. in fact it should certainly be... The 10x leap should scale evenly across modes, example such as.

0.2 TFLOPS > 2 TFLOPS (handheld mode)
0.4 TFLOPS > 4 TFLOPS (docked mode)

These specs were known for years already, but Nvidia legitimately made them a great piece of hardware all seems like. Unlike the Tegra X1 they're finally getting a custom chip built to their needs, I'm confident that will pay dividends. Funnily enough, the recent data puts it at 12 GB of RAM which is somehow more than Xbox Series S...

Last edited:
I do envy the fact that a tablet has nvidia tech in it, but proper home consoles have amd stuff inside, the fucking irony is through the roof :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It's fucking mental, isn't it? :messenger_tears_of_joy: This may sound crazy when you first realize it, but Switch 2 will have AI upscaling and "decent" (strongly doubting this) raytracing that's just barely making its way to PS5 Pro. AMD is a joke.

RaduN

I’m talking about Chinese and Korean developers more than Japan - it seems they’re getting better graphics out of this gen nearly all more established western companies and Japanese ones

Yeah, it seems that China is agressively investing in video games market lately. After all this "omg graphics good in Wukon" honey moon wears off, i'd like to actually see some actually interesting and original games from there, not just pretty clones.

I dunno about Korea, what amazing games are released from there lately?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, it seems that China is agressively investing in video games market lately. After all this "omg graphics good in Wukon" honey moon wears off, i'd like to actually see some actually interesting and original games from there, not just pretty clones.

I dunno about Korea, what amazing games are released from there lately?
Wukong is also a good game, even great for many people.

Trilobit

The devs don't care you are 100% right. Most don't do any gameplay related things with decades old well established physics, so they went for pretty. They can barely conceptualize a simple game with simple mechanics, let alone anything that would involve physics. Its also why I said originally that I don't think Nintendo would ever go with 1,000 objects falling in a Mario game, unless they find a gameplay loop around it, I don't see them spamming objects that are not related to the gameplay concepts.

I miss the days where gameworks would go for full fidelity AND interactivity. Performances for lower tier cards be damned, at least they age well. Replaying Arkham Knight a year ago with all settings maxed felt like I was playing something from modern times, the game is 9 years old.

UE5 might bring this feeling back with Niagara VFX, if it is well baked in the engine without that much of a rendering penalty, more devs might use it.

I feel a tinge of sadness when games today don't even allow me to shoot and break windows or environmental objects like some games prided themselves with in the past. We have in many ways gone backwards.

Some physics emulation would be better than none whether its realistic or cartoony its better than the world being static

Ghost of Tsushima gave me an insanely static feeling which was sad with such a beatiful world. It didn't feel interactive, just a setting I was running through. This is especially immersion-breaking for me in photorealistic games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have a strong "been there done that" feeling about it.
But i'm derailing here, it's about gfx and that's what matters.
Most games today feel that way if you played for more than 30 years, being derivative and being good are not mutually exclusive, i take wukong over whatever experiment of my ass like death stranding where 80% of the gameplay is walking while pressing r2 and l2 to not fall down like a moron or hellbalde 2.

Last edited:

Msamy

Just because they made avatar?
Not just that, I mean they updating most of their engines to use all ray tracing features, but I also star wars not visually as impressive as wukong and Avatar but in high end pcs it have really good ray tracing and shadows will have full rt package on other hand all sony first party studios except insomniac didn't implement any rt feature into their engines until now and we are in mid of this gen

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Edit: nevermind you are right, sony doesn't deserve my defense, i just think that ubisoft games are too uneven so i'm not fully on board with them.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Emissive lightning, reflections basically. There's a reflection in the focus that wasn't there before, and it's such a microdetail I don't see them baking it in. It has to be raytracing, what's so hard to understand?
Sorry wasnt trying to be rude. I just dont see any value transistion suggesting evidenence of GI . I also dont understand what "in the focus" is referring too?

Edit: ok i now know what you meant.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sorry wasnt trying to be rude. I just dont see any value transistion suggesting evidenence of GI . I also dont understand what "in the focus" is referring too?
It's the tringle thingy in the ear of aloy, it emits a small light when in use.

Last edited:
It's fucking mental, isn't it? :messenger_tears_of_joy: This may sound crazy when you first realize it, but Switch 2 will have AI upscaling and "decent" (strongly doubting this) raytracing that's just barely making its way to PS5 Pro. AMD is a joke.
Switch 2 will surprise people with its RT. It has Ray Reconstruction to help it a lot with the final image too. It’s going to be on par if not better than SeriesX/PS5 when it comes to RT simply because Nvidia are light years ahead of AMD.

It having 12gigs of RAM will help it immeasurably. I’ve heard through friends that SW Outlaws is a launch window game and Wukong is in development for it so the DF comparisons are going to be much more interesting than Series X versus PS5 when it comes to multiplatform ports.

Switch 2 will surprise people with its RT. It has Ray Reconstruction to help it a lot with the final image too. It’s going to be on par if not better than SeriesX/PS5 when it comes to RT simply because Nvidia are light years ahead of AMD.

It having 12gigs of RAM will help it immeasurably. I’ve heard through friends that SW Outlaws is a launch window game and Wukong is in development for it so the DF comparisons are going to be much more interesting than Series X versus PS5 when it comes to multiplatform ports.
I'm only somewhat doubtful of the RT capabilities because I understand Nvidia hardware only accelerates the intersection part of the pipeline, while the rest of the process is still up to the console's power. Could still see it on par with PS5 and Series X though, just curious if Nintendo will even bother using it as such because the perf hit will be felt in other departments. It's still just an Series S at best after all.
Astro Bot had a $30 million and Ratchet an $80 million budget?!? Is that official.
Ratchet is confirmed, yeah. Astro Bot hasn't given an exact figure, but since the dev team is so small and only took three years people have made calculations in another thread.

Last edited:

RavionUHD

Just finished Star Wars Outlaws, it took me a bit over 40 hours, and I had plenty fun with the game. Sure it has its weaknesses, like the dumb AI or the story which could be better, also it definitly needs more stealth mechanics for a game which focuses a lot on stealth. But the beautiful game world, interesting characters combined with the Star Wars gameplay was just very fun for most of the time. I would definitly recommend it buying it in a sale.

Here a couple more screenshots i took on my PC (Raytracing, Ray Reconstruction, DLDSR, Reshade, HDR):

QyFUX1V.jpeg

QJGhc5c.jpeg

kj5i3GC.jpeg

2Y3wFXH.jpeg

zfnKkqW.jpeg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Finally went back to Star Wars after beating wukong 3 times. Gotta say im more impressed as I explore the open world some more. Still in the very first area but i love the wind effects on trees and foliage, and the sunset is just plain gorgeous.

Yes, it's still a souped up HFW and not the huge leap Avatar felt like, but it's such a beautiful game that I am still very impressed despite coming straight from 75 hours of Wukong.

Really good looking rocks here. Sucks that the distant rocks look like horizon rocks though.

Lbr0xkT.gif

abQ4dLL.gif

PE8jexc.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom