• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Switch 2 will surprise people with its RT. It has Ray Reconstruction to help it a lot with the final image too. It’s going to be on par if not better than SeriesX/PS5 when it comes to RT simply because Nvidia are light years ahead of AMD.

It having 12gigs of RAM will help it immeasurably. I’ve heard through friends that SW Outlaws is a launch window game and Wukong is in development for it so the DF comparisons are going to be much more interesting than Series X versus PS5 when it comes to multiplatform ports.
Nvidia rt isnt light years ahead of ps5 and xsx. its maybe 50-70% better. If you are expecting a 2-4 tflops nvidia gpu to match or exceed 10-12 amd tflops consoles then I have a bridge to sell you.

And thats if its 4 tflops docked. it will probably be those fake 30 and 40 series tflops.

kevboard

Nvidia rt isnt light years ahead of ps5 and xsx. its maybe 50-70% better. If you are expecting a 2-4 tflops nvidia gpu to match or exceed 10-12 amd tflops consoles then I have a bridge to sell you.

And thats if its 4 tflops docked. it will probably be those fake 30 and 40 series tflops.

with DLSS ray reconstruction the raytracing quality will look far better than the actual underlying resolution, which could help give some Switch 2 games raytracing reflections for example, that look PS5/SX quality.
DLSS super resolution also is a massive help.
in fact, DLSS is so good in some games, that a port of Doom Eternal could actually look better on Switch 2 than on PS5/SX. as in that game, even 4K with DLSS performance mode (1080p internal) and 1800p with DLSS Performance mode (900p internal) has superior image quality than the dynamic 4K of the PS5/SX's "balanced" mode.
now add raytracing into the mix, and games like Doom Eternal could in fact look way better than what the underlying numbers would suggest.

this issue here of course would be if the tensor/ML performance of the Switch 2 can actually handle all this without it adding too much render time to hit 60fps.
DLSS takes more time the higher it is tasked to scale the image. ray reconstruction isn't really an issue, as it replaces the normal denoising, which in the end comes out to about the same amount of render time or even less in some cases (Cyberpunk). but combining DLSS super resolution with DLSS ray reconstruction running at the same time, and therefore eating into each other's time on the tensor cores, could create issues.

this will totally be a game by game case here, but there are indeed games that profit so much from DLSS that the Switch 2 could come uncannily close to the big consoles, and absolutely destroy the Series S.
it all really depends on each individual game, and on how the tensor cores in that mobile chip hold up under stress.

EDIT: comparison of Doom Eternal on PC with DLSS vs Consoles by Digital Foundry
75mw3udr.png

tri5nrs7.png

the consoles render up to 4x as many pixels, while having lower or equal image quality

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Space Marine 2 is fucking gorgeous. Each stage looks better and better as the game progresses. This level im at is simply stunning

Easily the best skyboxes I've ever seen in a game and in terms of pure visusals, during mid combat this is right up there with the best of this gen

Last edited:

shamoomoo

with DLSS ray reconstruction the raytracing quality will look far better than the actual underlying resolution, which could help give some Switch 2 games raytracing reflections for example, that look PS5/SX quality.
DLSS super resolution also is a massive help.
in fact, DLSS is so good in some games, that a port of Doom Eternal could actually look better on Switch 2 than on PS5/SX. as in that game, even 4K with DLSS performance mode (1080p internal) and 1800p with DLSS Performance mode (900p internal) has superior image quality than the dynamic 4K of the PS5/SX's "balanced" mode.
now add raytracing into the mix, and games like Doom Eternal could in fact look way better than what the underlying numbers would suggest.

this issue here of course would be if the tensor/ML performance of the Switch 2 can actually handle all this without it adding too much render time to hit 60fps.
DLSS takes more time the higher it is tasked to scale the image. ray reconstruction isn't really an issue, as it replaces the normal denoising, which in the end comes out to about the same amount of render time or even less in some cases (Cyberpunk). but combining DLSS super resolution with DLSS ray reconstruction running at the same time, and therefore eating into each other's time on the tensor cores, could create issues.

this will totally be a game by game case here, but there are indeed games that profit so much from DLSS that the Switch 2 could come uncannily close to the big consoles, and absolutely destroy the Series S.
it all really depends on each individual game, and on how the tensor cores in that mobile chip hold up under stress.

EDIT: comparison of Doom Eternal on PC with DLSS vs Consoles by Digital Foundry
75mw3udr.png

tri5nrs7.png

the consoles render up to 4x as many pixels, while having lower or equal image quality
There's no reason for Nintendo to forgo the AI components of Nvidia's GPUs as the RTX 3050 mobile is 200mm on Samsung 8nm, but is AI required by Nintendo? They could strip out the RT and AI features like 1600 series maximise their profits and go with the most bare bones GPU.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Space Marine 2 is fucking gorgeous. Each stage looks better and better as the game progresses. This level im at is simply stunning

Easily the best skyboxes I've ever seen in a game and in terms of pure visusals, during mid combat this is right up there with the best of this gen

Yeah the game really ramps it up after first couple of levels. Initially I was pretty underwhelmed, but then as the game progressed it proved me wrong.

Luipadre

Finally went back to Star Wars after beating wukong 3 times. Gotta say im more impressed as I explore the open world some more. Still in the very first area but i love the wind effects on trees and foliage, and the sunset is just plain gorgeous.

Yes, it's still a souped up HFW and not the huge leap Avatar felt like, but it's such a beautiful game that I am still very impressed despite coming straight from 75 hours of Wukong.

Really good looking rocks here. Sucks that the distant rocks look like horizon rocks though.

Lbr0xkT.gif

abQ4dLL.gif

PE8jexc.gif

PC? Im gonna wait for another patch and probably gonna play it on ps5

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Glad to say, after the manufacturing leaks...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Glad to say, after the manufacturing leaks...
I just saw the leaks. The leaker is simply going by the chip they are using. He even says Nintendo might downclock it to oblivion which they will since they will not release a handheld thats 50 watts. expect 20 watts at best and for that they will have to downclock the shit out of that chip.

lets not forget that the tegra chip they used for the switch could do 1+ tflops but they downclocked to 190 gflops in handheld mode and 390 gflops for the docked version. I think xss performance is possible for docked mode since dlss should make 720p games look better than fsr does, but ps5 and xsx? nah. dlss, rt cores, cerny secret io, ssd, are all there to compliment the GPU. you still need compute units and clocks to actually process the graphics load.

I just saw the leaks. The leaker is simply going by the chip they are using. He even says Nintendo might downclock it to oblivion which they will since they will not release a handheld thats 50 watts. expect 20 watts at best and for that they will have to downclock the shit out of that chip.

lets not forget that the tegra chip they used for the switch could do 1+ tflops but they downclocked to 190 gflops in handheld mode and 390 gflops for the docked version. I think xss performance is possible for docked mode since dlss should make 720p games look better than fsr does, but ps5 and xsx? nah. dlss, rt cores, cerny secret io, ssd, are all there to compliment the GPU. you still need compute units and clocks to actually process the graphics load.
Not happening, I talked about this in the other thread. It's a custom chip and built on 4N very certainly, those are the specs after all. 2-4 TFLOPS, with handheld being lower clocked to have a 2x performance delta between modes, just like the Switch 1 but that's not the same as downclocking to hell.

Last edited:

SimTourist

It's all gonna be held back by shitty slow mobile ram anyway

SlimySnake

Not happening, I talked about this in the other thread. It's a custom chip and built on 4N very certainly, those are the specs after all. 2-4 TFLOPS, with handheld being lower clocked to have a 2x performance delta between modes, just like the Switch 1 but that's not the same as downclocking to hell.
we will see. fingers crossed its at least 4 tflops. i still dont see how a 4 tflops handheld gpu outclasses a 10 tflops ps5, but we will find out soon enough.

Edit: its also probably 4 fake tflops. The 3080 was somewhere around 32 tflops and was pretty much equivalent to the 20 tlfops 6800xt in standard rasterization. RT is a different story, but if we are comparing to XSS, 4 nvidia tflops is not the same as 4 rdna 2 tflops. most xss games skip rt so its possible the extra rt cores in the switch 2 enables rt, but that still doesnt mean we should expect ps5 quality performance.

Last edited:
we will see. fingers crossed its at least 4 tflops. i still dont see how a 4 tflops handheld gpu outclasses a 10 tflops ps5, but we will find out soon enough.

Edit: its also probably 4 fake tflops. The 3080 was somewhere around 32 tflops and was pretty much equivalent to the 20 tlfops 6800xt in standard rasterization. RT is a different story, but if we are comparing to XSS, 4 nvidia tflops is not the same as 4 rdna 2 tflops. most xss games skip rt so its possible the extra rt cores in the switch 2 enables rt, but that still doesnt mean we should expect ps5 quality performance.
Ah I mean, outclassing 10 certainly isn't happening. I'm doubting the RT performance myself because no matter how fast you can intersect the rays you still have to cast them, which is dependant on grunt performance. I think the GPU has always been Ampere based, which means the TFLOPs aren't inflated (yet) but RDNA2 still has an advantage of around 30%. To match Series S in all metrics but bandwidth, Nintendo would need to hit 4.4 TFLOPS which imo is a pipedream, forgot to mention this in the previous post.

Last edited:

DLSS 3.5 shits on FSR2 from a great height. Take your hate goggles off.

SlimySnake

I gotta say Massive's artists have impressed me. This kind of art direction and cinematography is what I have come to expect from Sony studios, CD Project and Rockstar but Massive has really upped their game this gen, after producing two technical powerhouses last gen that were rather sterile in terms of cinematography and art direction.

These open world games can look underwhelming at times due to their dynamic lighting nature, but conversely they can look amazing at other time of days. Especially sunset and sunrise. This game is giving me such a RDR2 vibe.

4oN7sLv.gif

Yes, its no Matrix, but when games look so beautiful, its easy to overlook their shortcomings. Really excited to see what AC shadows and GoT2 do with their wind and weather physics. I know sucker punch wanted to do a lot more with wind and weather effects before they downgraded them for the final game.

P.S I love how they increase the contrast for a brief second as you come out of the shadows here. I dont know if its accurate but I love it. Love the midday lighting here and how it bounces off the grass and her character model. It took us a gen but we finally got close to that Witcher 3 reveal in 2013.

dbX8x37.gif

b90c837fb744a3ea43dc11a702a9abe3.gif

SlimySnake

DLSS 3.5 shits on FSR2 from a great height. Take your hate goggles off.
Good thing i didnt say anything about DLSS in that post you quoted.

I gotta say Massive's artists have impressed me. This kind of art direction and cinematography is what I have come to expect from Sony studios, CD Project and Rockstar but Massive has really upped their game this gen, after producing two technical powerhouses last gen that were rather sterile in terms of cinematography and art direction.

These open world games can look underwhelming at times due to their dynamic lighting nature, but conversely they can look amazing at other time of days. Especially sunset and sunrise. This game is giving me such a RDR2 vibe.

4oN7sLv.gif

Yes, its no Matrix, but when games look so beautiful, its easy to overlook their shortcomings. Really excited to see what AC shadows and GoT2 do with their wind and weather physics. I know sucker punch wanted to do a lot more with wind and weather effects before they downgraded them for the final game.

P.S I love how they increase the contrast for a brief second as you come out of the shadows here. I dont know if its accurate but I love it. Love the midday lighting here and how it bounces off the grass and her character model. It took us a gen but we finally got close to that Witcher 3 reveal in 2013.

dbX8x37.gif

It still baffles me you include cd projekt in with rockstar and Sony’s best studios

SlimySnake

It still baffles me you include cd projekt in with rockstar and Sony’s best studios
CD project made Cyberpunk. Witcher 3 despite its downgrade is a gorgeous game. Went up there with Batman AK and The Order as the best looking games of 2015.

In terms of gameplay, they arent up there with sonys best, but graphics? these guys know their shit. Cyberpunk was the best looking game on everyone's list until around 2023.

CD project made Cyberpunk. Witcher 3 despite its downgrade is a gorgeous game. Went up there with Batman AK and The Order as the best looking games of 2015.

In terms of gameplay, they arent up there with sonys best, but graphics? these guys know their shit. Cyberpunk was the best looking game on everyone's list until around 2023.
That’s 1 game. 1. And it’s production values are a joke compared to playstation and rockstar

Witcher 3 looks pretty subpar compared to order and Batman are you for real? Order came out a year before and looks 100x better. It’s not ugly but not in the same league as those two.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That’s 1 game. 1. And it’s production values are a joke compared to playstation and rockstar

Witcher 3 looks pretty subpar compared to order and Batman are you for real? Order came out a year before and looks 100x better. It’s not ugly but not in the same league as those two.
Nah, order came out only a few months before Witcher 3. Witcher 3 had that scale. Same reason why we all picked Batman AK over the order. The scale was better even if textures, asset quality and lighting were all better in the order. Same reason why Callisto lost out to HFW in 2022 and Alan Wake 2 lost out to Avatar in 2023. And not just at DF. most people just prefer the bigger scale.

Witcher 3 was the first big foliage driven open world game and it set an open world bar that was only topped once horizon zero dawn came out 2 years later.

DanielG165

4oN7sLv.gif

dbX8x37.gif

Outlaws is absolutely stunning when it hits, and that to me happens pretty damn often. Awesome to see you’ve been enjoying the game’s presentation as well so far!

DanielG165

The lighting, detail, and scale of the main hub station alone is bonkers.

Nah, order came out only a few months before Witcher 3. Witcher 3 had that scale. Same reason why we all picked Batman AK over the order. The scale was better even if textures, asset quality and lighting were all better in the order. Same reason why Callisto lost out to HFW in 2022 and Alan Wake 2 lost out to Avatar in 2023. And not just at DF. most people just prefer the bigger scale.

Witcher 3 was the first big foliage driven open world game and it set an open world bar that was only topped once horizon zero dawn came out 2 years later.
Oh wait it got delayed to February 2015. Right. And I mean gta v is bigger scale than order or Batman but that doesn’t make it graphically comparable.

Plus scale is easier to accomplish with jankier less impressive production values

DanielG165

Ghost of Tsushima gave me an insanely static feeling which was sad with such a beatiful world. It didn't feel interactive, just a setting I was running through
GoT definitely feels very… Artificial, almost like it’s a Kurosawa-inspired set, but not done nearly as naturally. Yeah the wind blows and the foliage billows, but the world doesn’t feel alive in it, wartime withstanding. Still a beautiful, if static feeling game.

SlimySnake

Oh wait it got delayed to February 2015. Right. And I mean gta v is bigger scale than order or Batman but that doesn’t make it graphically comparable.

Plus scale is easier to accomplish with jankier less impressive production values
It was released in may iirc. Batman was june so having Witcher 3 and Batman go back to back was amazing. We were eating good back then.

Gtav looked last Gen as fuck though. Witcher 3 was doing next Gen things and was a pretty big deal when it came out. I’m sure I’m not imagining this.

SlimySnake

Horizon remastered has been leaked by the ESRB and its not a remake, just a remaster lol

Back in 2022, we broke a story on how Sony was remaking Horizon Zero Dawn. At the time, it was a bit fuzzy whether it was a full-on remake or it was just being remastered. Well, it seems we have the answer to that, as the Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered ESRB rating has surfaced!
I was hoping for RTGI on top of Horizon FW's foliage, character models and lighting upgrades, but remastered indicates that we might not even get them.

At least its coming out this year so this might be Sony's big game this holiday season. Honestly, i dont know why anyone on PS5 or PC would pick this over a half a dozen new AAA next gen only games like AC Shadows, Dragon Age, Black Ops 6, Indiana Jones, Silent Hill 2, or recently released titles like Star Wars, Wukong, and Astrobot come this holiday season. At least Until Dawn is being remade using UE5 with the latest graphics tech.

Last edited:
It was released in may iirc. Batman was june so having Witcher 3 and Batman go back to back was amazing. We were eating good back then.

Gtav looked last Gen as fuck though. Witcher 3 was doing next Gen things and was a pretty big deal when it came out. I’m sure I’m not imagining this.
You just might be :messenger_neutral:

Game looked aight at best

Horizon remastered has been leaked by the ESRB and its not a remake, just a remaster lol

I was hoping for RTGI on top of Horizon FW's foliage, character models and lighting upgrades, but remastered indicates that we might not even get them.

At least its coming out this year so this might be Sony's big game this holiday season. Honestly, i dont know why anyone on PS5 or PC would pick this over a half a dozen new AAA next gen only games like AC Shadows, Dragon Age, Black Ops 6, Indiana Jones, Silent Hill 2, or recently released titles like Star Wars, Wukong, and Astrobot come this holiday season. At least Until Dawn is being remade using UE5 with the latest graphics tech.
*big holiday tentpole game after historic AAA exclusive drought*

*a last of us 2 level remaster of a 7 year old game*

Jesus fucking Christ. At this point insomniacs $50 venom solo game spin off is a heavy hitter. Where the FUCK are the big guns?

Last edited:

kevboard

Hand cramps are back on the menu boys.

hopefully third party joycons will be out fast.
I am still bummed that 8bitdo never made some for the original Switch.

an 8bitdo joycon set with a decent Dpad, grips, hall effect sticks, gyro, rumble... like... those things would fly off the shelves.

GymWolf

Gold Member
hopefully third party joycons will be out fast.
I am still bummed that 8bitdo never made some for the original Switch.

an 8bitdo joycon set with a decent Dpad, grips, hall effect sticks, gyro, rumble... like... those things would fly off the shelves.
More like third party full controllers, i'm allergic to any form of joycon.
If nintendo isn't too greedy maybe even the switch pro controller is gonna work.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The lighting, detail, and scale of the main hub station alone is bonkers.

This game has the interiors of Starfield/Outlaws with hudreds of enemies in the background, dozens in your personal space, and an insane amount of particle effects and blood splatter.

It is downright gorgeous even on base PS5. I am shocked its not getting more talk/hype/gifs in this thread. Fucking Robocop got more discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom