• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

We are so fucked. Watching this DF PS5 PRO coverage..

Guerilla Games devs straight up saying "Good friends dont let friends play at 30fps"

Sony is done with pushing graphics. Pack it in. Ghosts 2 is as good as it gets.

The 60fps framerate warriors have fucked everything for us.
Been tellingggg you guuuuyssss

I always get ignored when I expand on this thought. Nobody engages with me when I expound on the obvious truth of playstation first parties and 60fps

Last edited:

littlezoo

Neo Member
I feel like the visuals of Yōtei were way overhyped, the 'actual' gameplay at the end feels pretty last-gen...

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013050.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013114.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013149.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I feel like the visuals of Yōtei were way overhyped, the 'actual' gameplay at the end feels pretty last-gen...

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013050.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013114.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 013149.png
Yh those final few shots were rough and looked last Gen as fuck.

What’s funnyis that the GoT 1 reveal also ended with a quick montage of gameplay like this and it looked way better than this. Clearly that montage wasn’t gameplay but this is and it doesn’t even look as good as the prerendered bullshots of the first game they tried to pass off as gameplay.

SlimySnake

Guerilla Games devs straight up saying "Good friends dont let friends play at 30fps"

These guys gave us killzone 2 once. With 180 ms of input lag. No fucks given.

Now they are giving us last Gen games with no next Gen features like RT or nanite. Same crap draw distance and traversal speeds. In 2024 on a mid Gen console that costs $699.

If it were up to me, these cross Gen developers wouldn’t even be invited to such an event. You don’t belong there with other devs who have actually done the hard work of implementing rt and ssd support. At least insomniac tried. Those two were acting like big shots when they have been upstaged this Gen by no-name Chinese developers, Microsoft developers, and Ubisoft massive who have managed to put out two gorgeous next Gen titles while also offering 60 fps.

Send these guys back to the whore ridden slums of Amsterdam where they belong. Good developers don’t let lazy developers join the big boys table. They don’t belong there anymore.

CGNoire

The actual lighting, textures and details are not that much an improvement from GoT.
The lighting which appears to be using RTGI is definitly upgraded but its doesnt really hit the way it should since half of lighting is shader quality and that looks to be almost unchanged and the shaders in GOT where already below par to begin with :(

Last edited:

Portugeezer

The context was of that quote was "on the PS5 Pro", as they also have a 30fps pro option which is literally only pushing 4k native when the 60fps pro option is already close with the upscaling.

At some point it just makes sense to pick 60fps, even for a graphics whore.

GymWolf

Gold Member
A REAL graphic whore is gonna buy a pc to play 99,99% of games at 60 frames AND better graphic than console.

1-2 games per year that push graphic at 30 are no biggie if you can play all the remaining stuff at 60, too bad sony doesn't even release these 1-2 games per year that push graphic anymore...

People with only a console calling themselves graphic whores are like waifu pillow fuckers calling themselves stallions :lollipop_squinting:

Hunnybun

You know the 60fps framerate warriors are like 75% of players?

If one group's been fucked by the other, it's the other way round, and for 30 odd years, too.

Don't worry, you'll get back to normal generational leaps next time, anyway.

alloush

500 dollars hardwares are not the place for 60 fps if you wanna push graphic, plain and simple.
Which is why I want Sony and MS to release pricey consoles that would pack all the goodies. Same reason why I am kinda happy the Pro is selling for $700 cuz it meant Sony are not afraid to charge extra if the console on hand is beefy.

Now I know people are gonna say the price tag is too high for the Pro and I agree, it shoulda been a $600 console or a $700 console with at least the disc drive included but I always try to derive some positives out of any negative situation and this time it was the fact that Sony aren’t afraid to release a $700 console that should come packing with the hot stuff (again I don’t believe it is worth $700).

Now there are rumors they will go the same route with the PS6, release an expensive one that will be high-end, and most likely a cheaper option ala Microsoft. And that’s what we have been asking for, to charge us more money for a beefy ass console.

Now what’s not good is them overpricing the PS6 like they did with the PS5 Pro whilst also not offering much, now that would be a nice middle finger :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I absolutely love the fact that not a soul has brought mh wilds into the topic because we all silently agree that it looks like shit except for the monsters animations that are top tier as usual :lollipop_grinning_sweat: :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(the game is probably gonna be my goty and gotg but still...)

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I absolutely love the fact that not a soul has brought mh wilds into the topic because we all silently agree that it looks like shit except for the monsters animations that are top tier as usual :lollipop_grinning_sweat: :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(the game is probably gonna be my goty and gotg but still...)
It is definitely not winning any graphics of the year awards, but it looked more "next gen" than all the other games shown. All of that environmental interaction and animations made it feel lively in a way these pretty, static games don't. The rising wave scenes were insane.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is definitely not winning any graphics of the year awards, but it looked more "next gen" than all the other games shown. All of that environmental interaction and animations made it feel lively in a way these pretty, static games don't. The rising wave scenes were insane.
The rising wave was neat (but the water itself looks like crap) but the rest is stuff that has been done before tbh (some by capcom itself)

Packs of monsters check
Sand deformation check
Enviromental traps check
Animal ecosystem with animals hunting other animals check
Sandstorms and thunderstorms with random thunders hitting random stuff check (i'd argue that the storm in mad max are even better than what i saw in wilds just for the sheer amount of stuff that fly in the wind with accurate physics)

We can't even say that it is doing old stuff with nextgen fidelity because the game looks no better than a ps4 game fidelity wise except some minor stuff here and there.

So yeah, it doesn't look THAT nextgen to me, i had way bigger hopes for such a brand but capcom didn't upgrade his engine for nextgen.

Something like Mhw already feel intrinsecally more nextgen than many open world because of the ecosystem, enviromental interactions etc, what they lacked was the fidelity and they failed to deliver.

Monsters look good, but this was fatalis on a ps4 and i don't see a generational difference (hell you could have told me this was a pic from wilds and i would not had any doubt about it except maybe the less detailed hunter).

10f9f0f1-bd7d-4ae5-815b-b1a94de07135-Fatalis_Multiplayer_02.jpg

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

I agree that they're second to none regarding facial animations and overall cinematography but in terms of texturing, lighting etc.. I think what GG achieves is more impressive. Horizon games' only big weakness is draw distance/Lod. The day they fix that, it's game over.
Hard disagree, ND's lighting and texture work is way better too imo. The lighting for interiors and in caves etc in HZD/HFW looks PS3 level. ND is a step above everyone else except R*. (Although CP2077 looks amazing)

Last edited:

To be fair... Who said they had to be real 60 fps? Wukong uses frame gen to get there on console and MH Wilds likely will too :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Portugeezer

A REAL graphic whore is gonna buy a pc to play 99,99% of games at 60 frames AND better graphic than console.

1-2 games per year that push graphic at 30 are no biggie if you can play all the remaining stuff at 60, too bad sony doesn't even release these 1-2 games per year that push graphic anymore...

People with only a console calling themselves graphic whores are like waifu pillow fuckers calling themselves stallions :lollipop_squinting:
Semantics, there are obviously people who want nothing to do with PC's, same way for PCMR who want nothing to do with consoles and after 10 years will finally play Bloodborne on emulator.

These console graphics whores will choose spend $700 as opposed to $500 because it will look better on their $4000 TV.

mrMUR_96

PS5 Pro confirmed to have ray tracing in AW2. I wonder how it compares to the PC version.

“Our graphics engineers at Remedy have greatly enjoyed improving Alan Wake 2 for PS5 Pro together with the team at Sony Interactive. With a game like Alan Wake 2, where the mood and environmental story-telling are essential, bringing ray tracing to the game as a brand new feature adds another layer of immersion. We have also used the additional power of PS5 Pro to improve the visuals and effects in the 60fps Performance mode, where we have upped the output resolution to 4K, making the experience look even better than before.”

Thomas Puha, Communications Director / Remedy Entertainment

Playstation Blog

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hard disagree, ND's lighting and texture work is way better too imo. The lighting for interiors and in caves etc in HZF/HFW looks PS3 level. ND is a step above everyone else except R*. (Although CP2077 looks amazing)
I don't know about textures being WAY better.

Nd never made an open world where you can't have the same texture level of a small game.

Guerrilla still managed this on a crossgen open world, let em do a fully nextgen nd sized game before judgying.

F08436-F4-BAD6-44-F8-B81-B-AA5-D5874556-D.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

rzN649.png

FL_rCsqXIAUqS3p

Oh and btw, no one is even gonna convince me that outlaws is a generation better than this, no matter how much rtx it has, sorry.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Semantics, there are obviously people who want nothing to do with PC's, same way for PCMR who want nothing to do with consoles and after 10 years will finally play Bloodborne on emulator.

These console graphics whores will choose spend $700 as opposed to $500 because it will look better on their $4000 TV.
Yeah i know, last line was an exagerated joke.

Not everyone can bother with pc gaming (although if a giga noob like me can do it, everyone can).

SlimySnake

Watched the Monster Hunter trailer on my OLED phone in 4k to see if it looks next gen and nope. Some scenes do look good but ultimately, the RE engine just isnt as good as UE5. I dont even think it looks better than Dragons Dogma 2. Just different.

I do like the cutscenes and weather effects. The scale is amazing, and i think the game itself looks fantastic but in terms of next gen fidelity, im not seeing it. Still, its good that all Capcom devs are using one engine. Maybe they will improve going forward. This is their first game with this engine after all. RE9 has been in dev since 2018 apparently, and should look better. But it's also open world and the RE engine cant seem to have the same asset quality and materials we saw in village and some parts of RE4 in open world games.

MGSV on the other hand. OMG, So fucking amazing. Again, only saw it in the OLED phone screen so maybe blown up it wont look as next gen but these cutscenes look amazing. Gorgeous lighting, character models and assets. Just perfect. God I am turning into a UE5 fanboy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Watched the Monster Hunter trailer on my OLED phone in 4k to see if it looks next gen and nope. Some scenes do look good but ultimately, the RE engine just isnt as good as UE5. I dont even think it looks better than Dragons Dogma 2. Just different.

I do like the cutscenes and weather effects. The scale is amazing, and i think the game itself looks fantastic but in terms of next gen fidelity, im not seeing it. Still, its good that all Capcom devs are using one engine. Maybe they will improve going forward. This is their first game with this engine after all. RE9 has been in dev since 2018 apparently, and should look better. But it's also open world and the RE engine cant seem to have the same asset quality and materials we saw in village and some parts of RE4 in open world games.

MGSV on the other hand. OMG, So fucking amazing. Again, only saw it in the OLED phone screen so maybe blown up it wont look as next gen but these cutscenes look amazing. Gorgeous lighting, character models and assets. Just perfect. God I am turning into a UE5 fanboy.
You mean mgs3 right?

And since when is re9 open world? I thought it was just a rumor...

Is it still in first person?

SlimySnake

You mean mgs3 right?

And since when is re9 open world? I thought it was just a rumor...

Is it still in first person?
Rumors from Dusk Golem suggest that its third person and open world. It's supposedly very ambitious which is why it was delayed and Village was turned into RE8. Village was supposed to be a spinoff like revelations at first.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Rumors from Dusk Golem suggest that its third person and open world. It's supposedly very ambitious which is why it was delayed and Village was turned into RE8. Village was supposed to be a spinoff like revelations at first.
Thank god.

Btw i also liked the mgs trailer, some faces look better than others tho(snake and eva looks great, sokolov look worse).
But the models during the cutscenes look very solid.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't know about textures being WAY better.

Nd never made an open world where you can't have the same texture level of a small game.

Guerrilla still managed this on a crossgen open world, let em do a fully nextgen nd sized game before judgying.

F08436-F4-BAD6-44-F8-B81-B-AA5-D5874556-D.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

rzN649.png

FL_rCsqXIAUqS3p

Oh and btw, no one is even gonna convince me that outlaws is a generation better than this, no matter how much rtx it has, sorry.
I put this on last night because Star Wars crashed on me right after Wukong crashed on me, and i was like fuck this PC bullshit. But as striking as it looks thanks to the high contrast and foliage rich areas, i was not impressed. The draw distance is bad. The ground any time there is no grass or foliage looks last gen as fuck. Lighting is off in so many areas. I fast traveled to the new DLC area and flew around for a bit, but the pop-in killed it for me.

The game basically looks great in mid day and maybe sunset when you are walking around. Also some of the foliage looks ugly. These weird plants remind me of witcher 3's ugly foliage.

The same goes for texture work. Texture work in plainsong is amazing. They have improved the GI bounce lighting in interiors from the first game. Those huts look magnificent but the interior buildings and caves still look like crap. Very poor lighting and materials compared to ND's interiors. Though ND hasnt exactly made an open world game so not a fair comparison. Still, plainsong looks better than the best of TLOU2. Both in terms of lighting, and texture/materials. I wish the rest of the game looked like that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I put this on last night because Star Wars crashed on me right after Wukong crashed on me, and i was like fuck this PC bullshit. But as striking as it looks thanks to the high contrast and foliage rich areas, i was not impressed. The draw distance is bad. The ground any time there is no grass or foliage looks last gen as fuck. Lighting is off in so many areas. I fast traveled to the new DLC area and flew around for a bit, but the pop-in killed it for me.

The game basically looks great in mid day and maybe sunset when you are walking around. Also some of the foliage looks ugly. These weird plants remind me of witcher 3's ugly foliage.

The same goes for texture work. Texture work in plainsong is amazing. They have improved the GI bounce lighting in interiors from the first game. Those huts look magnificent but the interior buildings and caves still look like crap. Very poor lighting and materials compared to ND's interiors. Though ND hasnt exactly made an open world game so not a fair comparison. Still, plainsong looks better than the best of TLOU2. Both in terms of lighting, and texture/materials. I wish the rest of the game looked like that.
Yeah the game is very uneven, but so is outlaws.

They both look way worse than wukong to me.

sncvsrtoip

I bought Avatar just for graphics as its apparently best looking game. And indeed looks good but wasnt as impresed as with Forbiden West. At least on ps5 FW is still best looking game even with its technical limitation. If Wukong get update for ps5pro will probably exceed it.

SlimySnake

Looks so bad Jesus Christ
night time lighting in those shots look bad but the opening shot of her looking at the stars has perfect blacks. you rarely see that in games since they all use the blue moonlight to light up the sky but im hoping to see a moonless black night in this game with just camp fires and other lanterns lighting the environment.

cOnSJ8R.jpeg

AW_CL

d69cca7296972ba1492308775f07503d1976e92c.gifv

4fc16c8faab7cce5635ca9e8a8b48fe83d58d7e9.gifv

MXrrPs6.gif

PlayStation Blog
This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.

It's the draw distance that gets me. It's incredible

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

It will be on a per developer basis. In the same video, Insomniac confirmed that they build around 30fps and subsequently scale to 60. They also confirmed they're cooking up a new 30fps mode with better RT features exclusively for the Pro. Can't fucking wait.

Also side note, Horizon looks ridiculous in the new Pro mode. So clean.

alloush

Now I know people are gonna say the price tag is too high for the Pro and I agree, it shoulda been a $600 console or a $700 console with at least the disc drive included but I always try to derive some positives out of any negative situation and this time it was the fact that Sony aren’t afraid to release a $700 console that should come packing with the hot stuff (again I don’t believe it is worth $700).
Just shamelessly splashed $772 on the Pro after I said this. I’m shameless :messenger_pensive: .

But for real, no idea why people wake up hella early and take a place in the long ass queue, I was able to get it right now 3 hours after the preorders went live.

Just shamelessly splashed $772 on the Pro after I said this. I’m shameless :messenger_pensive: .

But for real, no idea why people wake up hella early and take a place in the long ass queue, I was able to get it right now 3 hours after the preorders went live.
People expecting this to be in short supply?

GooseMan69

lol I’m in the same boat. I feel like we’re finally getting the good stuff next year. GTA 6, Ghost, Death Stranding 2, etc. I wanna play them in all their glory.

alloush

Pro Bros unite.

I was trying to grab the 30th Edition but of course they were all sold out in seconds.
Yessiiir. Pro’s before hoes.

I, too, wanted to get the 30th Edition but ofx they were all gone within seconds literally.

People expecting this to be in short supply?
As long as these creatures called scalpers still exist people will always fear of losing out on stuff, regardless of the supply. But I think the 30th Edition did deviate the scalpers from the regular one which is good. A blessing in disguise!

lol I’m in the same boat. I feel like we’re finally getting the good stuff next year. GTA 6, Ghost, Death Stranding 2, etc. I wanna play them in all their glory.
Yessiiiiir. Anyone who doesn’t own a Pro is beneath me now and I won’t reply to them :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
console calling themselves graphic whores, but the latter too
I mean, i was half joking, one can be a graphic whore and only have a console ( i mean look at our represent), but i feel like if you REALLY care about graphic and framerate, the pc is the asnwer.

Hell i don't even care enough about graphic to pay 10 euros for a month of gamepass to try a tech demo like hb2 and i still upgrade my pc every 2-3 years :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I'm gonna hate myself for buying this stupid, overpriced piece of pro :messenger_pensive:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No way. You're googoo gaga over Horizon and that game surprisingly has the best visual uplift I've seen overall.
I'm also in europe where the pro cost 920 euros with the disc reader...

It's more of a matter of principle, i would easily pay 1000 euros for a more balanced upgrade without the disc driver anti-client bullshits.

Also, i re-played fw on pc maxed out a couple of months ago, i doubt the pro improvements are gonna be substantial for me, maybe for people who only played on ps5, but not for me.

i still see no compelling reason to buy the pro. I don’t care about 60fps. The visual uplift isn’t enough from what I’ve seen - maybe if GTA6 can only run properly on it I’ll consider - but I basically have to pay what I’d usually spend on a whole new console even with a trade in. Which just doesn’t seem worth it

Last edited:
Top Bottom