• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Bojji

Yeah, not good at all. Hopefully RT reflections on Pro because it held back an otherwise very good presentation.

In theory game like this doesn't need RT reflections that much, most of the environments are natural and don't seem to be covered in water too much. There are also no large metallic objects/bases etc.

But I hope you guys are right about some sort of GI solution, this one is needed for sure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you guys really want to be disappointment, take a look at the Monster Hunter Overview. It looks worse than most last gen open world games.

Everything looks very dynamic though. And lighting isnt as bad as everything else so like Dragons Dogma 2 they might be using RTGI here. Still, everything from the draw distance to materials, rocks, textures and character models look atrocious. Hard to believe they ditched MT Framework for this engine. remember, deep down was real and playable back in 2014.

I think Capcom is going for a more systems driven approach. it didnt like land in Dragons Dogma 2 but maybe it does here. I kinda wish they went back to the Lost planet 2 days where they were still targeting higher fidelity visuals but i suppose you cant have both in 2024.

I think the character models are...ok, they look like decent ps4 models.

the creatures look better (i can't find non-blurry pics)

state-of-play-september-24-2024-english-34-34-screenshot-1727219390163.png

MH_Wilds_Quematrice_02-1456x819.jpg

this is wukong

hq720.jpg

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
If you guys really want to be disappointment, take a look at the Monster Hunter Overview. It looks worse than most last gen open world games.

Everything looks very dynamic though. And lighting isnt as bad as everything else so like Dragons Dogma 2 they might be using RTGI here. Still, everything from the draw distance to materials, rocks, textures and character models look atrocious. Hard to believe they ditched MT Framework for this engine. remember, deep down was real and playable back in 2014.

I think Capcom is going for a more systems driven approach. it didnt like land in Dragons Dogma 2 but maybe it does here. I kinda wish they went back to the Lost planet 2 days where they were still targeting higher fidelity visuals but i suppose you cant have both in 2024.

yea, really disappointing graphically. Although I never expect a Monster Hunter game to blow me away in graphics, the fact that the performances are gonna be dog shit allegedly, Its mind boggling. What is Capcom doing with that poor engine.

I think the character models are...ok, they look like decent ps4 models.

the creatures look better (i can't find non-blurry pics)

state-of-play-september-24-2024-english-34-34-screenshot-1727219390163.png

MH_Wilds_Quematrice_02-1456x819.jpg

this is wukong

hq720.jpg
And you´re already being awfully generous with that comparison, actually. Wukong`s gameplay models arent`t that far from the cinematic versions whereas the models in MHW take another 10m plunge into a dry pool from there. It`s seriously mind boggling to have these graphics paired with the hardware recommendations Capcom has given........
LSrFAaI.png

like wtf is this? How hard do you have to fuck up your engine to make ...this... struggle to run at more than 30fps on a current gen console.....

Last edited:
Monster Hunter Wilds and Dragon's Dogma 2 go back and forth from beautiful to ugly to beautiful to ugly every time I see footage of them.

Capcom games are always a fun ride though so I just pay it no mind.

GymWolf

Gold Member
And you´re already being awfully generous with that comparison, actually. Wukong`s gameplay models arent`t that far from the cinematic versions whereas the models in MHW take another 10m plunge into a dry pool from there. It`s seriously mind boggling to have these graphics paired with the hardware recommendations Capcom has given........
LSrFAaI.png

like wtf is this? How hard do you have to fuck up your engine to make ...this... struggle to run at more than 30fps on a current gen console.....
I was doing the devil's advocate...but yeah.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony Corporate Report 2024
3HPJlaQ.png
its just buzzwords. the results speak for themselves and they are not using anything super fancy in their games. the spiderman 2 example is hilarious because they only use AI for muscle deformation which was something they added in miles back at launch.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In theory game like this doesn't need RT reflections that much, most of the environments are natural and don't seem to be covered in water too much. There are also no large metallic objects/bases etc.

But I hope you guys are right about some sort of GI solution, this one is needed for sure.

Interesting: it seems like their GI solution (see/listen to indirect ligting bullet) in Ghost of Tsushima was rendered in real time using "spherical harmonics" system. It's possible we are seeing a more refined version on PS5.

EOlFKFs.jpeg

Bitstream

Sony Corporate Report 2024
3HPJlaQ.png
If I'm reading this correctly, this actually sounds like what you were speaking about a few pages ago, unifying all first party games on Unreal engine. Depending on how these talks go, we might even end up with a custom branch of Unreal 5, optimized for PS5 and PS5 Pro that is used by all first party games moving forward. By 'explore potential external sales' I can see a future where there's a 'PlayStation' engine, fully optimized for PS Hardware that gets licensed out to devs that want to use it to ensure every drop of performance is squeezed out of the console.

LSrFAaI.png

This game is going to be the biggest miss this gen. 60 fps games have astronomical sales ceilings, 30 fps kills word of mouth and caps the player base.

CGNoire

Am i out of line for saying that shadows on single leaves is a fucking waste of resources when you have ps4 launch textures and characters?
I feel you but I dont know why they cant do both. For some reason Sonys been allergic to next gen assets this gen especialy next gen characters. :(

I will say I do think RTGI and RT shadows are the best overall choices for RT features in a Forest enviroment though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I feel you but I dont know why they cant do both. For some reason Sonys been allergic to next gen assets this gen especialy next gen characters. :(

I will say I do think RTGI and RT shadows are the best overall choices for RT features in a Forest enviroment though.
Yeah but if you can't do both, at least cut on the secondary stuff, nobody can convince me that shadows on single leaves on the ground are more important than character models and textures...
Some balance is needed.

Last edited:

Bojji

Am i out of line for saying that shadows on single leaves is a fucking waste of resources when you have ps4 launch textures and characters?

I think with RT cost of details like this is much smaller compared to standard shadow maps.

For small details like this you can only do RT shadows or screen space shadows (that have a lot of issues obviously).

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Well since you prioritize texture and materials, no, you're nor out of line. The texture work in Tsushima was atrocious and while I see some evidence of improvement, it's nothing close to a generational leap. The lighting difference was immediately apparent and as a lighting guy, I'm excited for it. Tsushima had one of, if not the best HDR implementation of PS4 gen and I think more realistic lighting in combination with the art style will likely launch Yotei into top 3 graphics for 2025.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well since you prioritize texture and materials, no, you're nor out of line. The texture work in Tsushima was atrocious and while I see some evidence of improvement, it's nothing close to a generational leap. The lighting difference was immediately apparent and as a lighting guy, I'm excited for it. Tsushima had one of, if not the best HDR implementation of PS4 gen and I think more realistic lighting in combination with the art style will likely launch Yotei into top 3 graphics for 2025.
I sincerely doubt it.

Next year we have gta6, fable, next doom, ac shadows, kingdome cock 2, indiana jones, marvel 1943, wukong dlc, donkey kong country returns hd, death stranding 2 and many, MANY others since now korean\chinese\AA can compete with AAA thanks to ue5, hell that korean game phantom blade zero looks pretty similar to sushi2
hq720.jpg

some-4k-wallpaper-of-phantom-blade-zero-has-prepared-for-v0-sj19ntrdgc2b1.jpg

phantom-blade-zero-14-minuti-gameplay-gamesoul.jpg

hq720.jpg

Fable, ds2 and gta6 already look much better than tsushi2, so it's probably gonna be a fight for the leftovers.

Last edited:
I sincerely doubt it.

Next year we have gta6, fable, next doom, ac shadows, kingdome cock 2, indiana jones, marvel 1943, wukong dlc, donkey kong country returns hd, death stranding 2 and many, MANY others since now korean\chinese\AA can compete with AAA thanks to ue5, hell that korean game phantom blade zero looks pretty similar to sushi2
hq720.jpg

some-4k-wallpaper-of-phantom-blade-zero-has-prepared-for-v0-sj19ntrdgc2b1.jpg

phantom-blade-zero-14-minuti-gameplay-gamesoul.jpg

hq720.jpg

Fable, ds2 and gta6 already look much better than tsushi2, so it's probably gonna be a fight for the leftovers.
Only thing that stands in Yotei’s way from what you named is gta 6, which will demolish it. Fable, looks considerably better. And the captain America black panther game which looks a gen ahead. I can see bluepoint or bend coming out with a surprise 2025 game that also shits on it though but yeah that’s about it.

When is gears E-day? Is that 2025 or 2026? Cause that looked leagues better as well

GymWolf

Gold Member
Only thing that stands in Yotei’s way from what you named is gta 6, which will demolish it. Fable, looks considerably better. And the captain America black panther game which looks a gen ahead. I can see bluepoint or bend coming out with a surprise 2025 game that also shits on it though but yeah that’s about it.

When is gears E-day? Is that 2025 or 2026? Cause that looked leagues better as well
You are very optimistic.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I love UE5. I dont care how similar the jungle looks to Black Myth because thats how real jungles look. Give me this over cartoony bullshit anyday of the week.

Couldn't disagree more. It's fine for what it's doing, but I'll always appreciate a game with striking art combined with grounded lighting over another game that wants to go for photorealism only. A lot of these UE5 games are looking sooooo annoyingly familiar it's very boring.

AW_CL

Couldn't disagree more. It's fine for what it's doing, but I'll always appreciate a game with striking art combined with grounded lighting over another game that wants to go for photorealism only. A lot of these UE5 games are looking sooooo annoyingly familiar it's very boring.

Couldn't have said it better myself. All the games made on ue5 look exactly the same. it's uncanny, really.

Just watching DF's weekly on Patreon, they're all in agreement that the game is visually iterative over it's predecessor with no clear signs of "next-gen" features like ray-tracing or micro-polygon rendering. The game is mostly being carries visually by its art direction. I agree with DF in this instance.

Just sharing this post from another thread, there was a small instance in which the woman was standing in the building which "may" hint at RTGI, but regardless, the game is visually mediocre in my opinion. Sony's first parties have been pathetic this generation, Jesus Christ I never thought I'd be agreeing with SlimySnake SlimySnake

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You guys are really forgetting how mediocre GoT graphics were especially as an end of gen PS4 game. This is easily a generational leap. The art style and HDR rendering saved GoT. Lighting and textures were AWFUL imo! Now with Yotei, we see a generational difference in lighting to match the already amazing art style. Trust me, Ghost 2 wasn't on my radar for awesome visuals because I remembered all of Tsushima's significant shortcomings. But the difference is massive.

sb3BOnJ.png

RSQLSBa.jpeg

qsoCiDw.png

cQHrdVl.jpeg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just sharing this post from another thread, there was a small instance in which the woman was standing in the building which "may" hint at RTGI, but regardless, the game is visually mediocre in my opinion. Sony's first parties have been pathetic this generation, Jesus Christ I never thought I'd be agreeing with SlimySnake SlimySnake
lol I think you will be surprised when the game launches. I am over the smallish leap now. I was in denial for a long time but its time to accept the truth, sony studios are no longer the cream of the crop.

Lack of RTGI is disappointing after so many here had convinced me that the game featured it, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Demon Souls didnt have it and its still an excellent looking game 4 years later with an incredible amount of detail thanks to tessellation.

RTGI has a huge cost so if there is a way to bake in this effect then thats ok. Lack of mesh shader or nanite support 5 years in is unacceptable from Sony first party.

Top Bottom