• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do It Reaction GIF
I need to check how much gamestop is gonna value my ps5.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sell it to people, never sell to retailers!
I work all day and i'm too lazy to deal with people contracting, calling at all hours etc. in my spare time.

Gamestop usually let me pay the next console half price, i did this with ps4 to ps4 pro and from pro to ps5, so they do a good value, it's not like the valution they do on used games, this is a full fledged special offer that they do, but this stupid bitch cost 920 euros so the situation is a bit different.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm playing H:FW right now and I'm obsessed with its moss. I often stop and look at it and wish I could plunge my face into it.
launch fw was super sharp so the moss looked the best it has ever done, they toned down the sharpness so now it look worse, those are day one pics.

Slimy can probably add on this.

p.s. i bet that tsushima 2 is not gonna have a single place in the map that look as detailed as the moss pic.

Last edited:

Xtib81

So, are we expecting new gameplay from DS2 during the Tokyo game show or what ? Cause so far, we've actually seen very little gameplay.

JCreasy

I don't know about textures being WAY better.

Nd never made an open world where you can't have the same texture level of a small game.

Guerrilla still managed this on a crossgen open world, let em do a fully nextgen nd sized game before judgying.

F08436-F4-BAD6-44-F8-B81-B-AA5-D5874556-D.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

rzN649.png

FL_rCsqXIAUqS3p

Oh and btw, no one is even gonna convince me that outlaws is a generation better than this, no matter how much rtx it has, sorry.

Imagine if Guerrilla dropped the open world "mandate." Imagine how much further they could push the visuals. Their character models are already amazing (3Lateral FTW).

GIVE ME A NARROWLY DEFINED (restricted, corridor, pick your poison) single player action adventure. It works for The Last of Us. It works for Alan Wake 2. It works for Wukong. I love that shit. I don't need open world. Hell, do God of War with Hellblade 2 character models and densely detailed enemies and environments like Wukong. THAT'S IT! THAT'S what I want in modern games.

I don't think that's too much to ask for! The technology exist. Just build it!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Imagine if Guerrilla dropped the open world "mandate." Imagine how much further they could push the visuals. Their character models are already amazing (3Lateral FTW).

GIVE ME A NARROWLY DEFINED (restricted, corridor, pick your poison) single player action adventure. It's works for The Last of Us. It works for Alan Wake 2. It works for Wukong. I love that shit. I don't need open world. Hell, do God of War with Hellblade 2 character models and densely detailed enemies and environments like Wukong. THAT'S IT! THAT'S what I want in modern games.

I think they are locked in for a at least horizon 3, after that we can hope (although i love open worlds)

Hopefully nextgen is gonna be powerfull enough to have hb2 details in an open world, a man can hope.

Imagine killzone 2 remake on ps6 :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
launch fw was super sharp so the moss looked the best it has ever done, they toned down the sharpness so now it look worse, those are day one pics.

Slimy can probably add on this.

p.s. i bet that tsushima 2 is not gonna have a single place in the map that look as detailed as the moss pic.
yeah, but they had to do something because it was giving me a headache. the brightness flickering was an eye sore. it was too sharp.

i did figure out a workaround by turning down camera sensitivity and turning off motion blur iirc, but i understand not everyone knew about it. it still looks amazing in native 4k. i dont like playing the game in performance mode or in the 40 fps mode because native 4k has that crisp and sharp image the 4kcb and 1800cp just cant capture.
Guys, am I stupid? Just bought the Pro.
If you can afford it, not at all. The console will have better performance modes for big Sony games like GoT2, DS2 and of course it should run GTA6 at 60 fps without downgrading visual quality that much.

I spent almost $2k 3 years ago upgrading my PC to run games at PS5 fidelity settings at 60 fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member
yeah, but they had to do something because it was giving me a headache. the brightness flickering was an eye sore. it was too sharp.

i did figure out a workaround by turning down camera sensitivity and turning off motion blur iirc, but i understand not everyone knew about it. it still looks amazing in native 4k. i dont like playing the game in performance mode or in the 40 fps mode because native 4k has that crisp and sharp image the 4kcb and 1800cp just cant capture.

If you can afford it, not at all. The console will have better performance modes for big Sony games like GoT2, DS2 and of course it should run GTA6 at 60 fps without downgrading visual quality that much.

I spent almost $2k 3 years ago upgrading my PC to run games at PS5 fidelity settings at 60 fps.
I thought you were unhappy when they turned the sharpness down...i must confusing you with someone else.

I would not be so sure about gta6 running at 60 on pro if the game is exactly the same as the reveal, and without downgrading the graphic too much, even harder...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GIVE ME A NARROWLY DEFINED (restricted, corridor, pick your poison) single player action adventure. It's works for The Last of Us. It works for Alan Wake 2. It works for Wukong. I love that shit. I don't need open world. Hell, do God of War with Hellblade 2 character models and densely detailed enemies and environments like Wukong. THAT'S IT! THAT'S what I want in modern games.

Yeah, I will be happy if everyone went wide linear like Wukong. it doesnt feel linear like Hellblade 2 or The Order, and it's still very epic in scale.

I really want to like Star Wars outlaws but i really wish the game was just a linear action adventure game like Wukong. it feels too spread out and open, and while that open world is beautiful and feels lived-in in ways wukong doesn't, i almost wish for gameplay's sake that it was wide linear like wukong. yes, the graphics will be better, but wukong showed me how much i enjoy simply running through an interconnected level.

I thought you were unhappy when they turned the sharpness down...i must confusing you with someone else.
Nah, i was unhappy since I had figured out the workaround, but looking back, it was right thing to do. It was really bad on the eyes especially with HDR on.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, I will be happy if everyone went wide linear like Wukong. it doesnt feel linear like Hellblade 2 or The Order, and it's still very epic in scale.

I really want to like Star Wars outlaws but i really wish the game was just a linear action adventure game like Wukong. it feels too spread out and open, and while that open world is beautiful and feels lived-in in ways wukong doesn't, i almost wish for gameplay's sake that it was wide linear like wukong. yes, the graphics will be better, but wukong showed me how much i enjoy simply running through an interconnected level.

Nah, i was unhappy since I had figured out the workaround, but looking back, it was right thing to do. It was really bad on the eyes especially with HDR on.
Yeah but they need to find a way to solve the invisible walls, wukong is particularly rancid in this aspect, like super annoying during the exploration, you can't tell me otherwise.

And i still want some open worlds here and there, there is something that you can't just achieve with stricted games, even large ones like wukong, that shot of sushi2 with the giant mountain and knowing that you can go there can only be achieved in an open world, or spidey 2\infamous super fast traversal, how do you that in a stricted game? an horde moving around the map like days gone? we need open worlds dude.

#LeaveOpenWorldsAlone

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.
lol is that it?? No mention of RTGI at all. Looks like all their budget is going into draw distance. Thats something I guess.

I hope they use RT shadows at least. They are the best way to get high quality shadows in the distance.

No talk of environmental interaction like fire. Imagine if they had far cry 2 fire you could use to light up the night sky. oh well. at least they have a lot of horses, maybe other herds will be there? i really hope its not another empty island.

SlimySnake

Yeah but they need to find a way to solve the invisible walls, wukong is particularly rancid in this aspect, like super annoying during the exploration, you can't tell me otherwise.

And i still want some open worlds here and there, there is something that you can't just achieve with stricted games, even large ones like wukong, that shot of sushi2 with the giant mountain and knowing that you can go there can only be achieved in an open world, or spidey 2\infamous super fast traversal, how do you that in a stricted game? an horde moving around the map like days gone? we need open worlds dude.

#LeaveOpenWorldsAlone
I was singing the praises of open worlds just a few days ago. but since then outlaws has bored me to death forcing me to reinstall wukong and im almost done with my 4th run while struggling to even turn on outlaws.

they are great for graphics and exploring and feeling like you are living the world rather than just playing it, but just for gameplay's sake i want something more linear and focused going forward.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not sure what you are seeing here.

Light bounce hitting her face/neck with yellow hues from her cloth. The red from the leaves bouncing back onto the horse.

This is textbook global illumination. To my knowledge, this is only the second Sony game to include after DS2 trailer. Even with DS2, we didn't get much evidence of it shown.

SlimySnake

Light bounce hitting her face/neck with yellow hues from her cloth. The red from the leaves bouncing back onto the horse.

This is textbook global illumination. To my knowledge, this is only the second Sony game to include after DS2 trailer. Even with DS2, we didn't get much evidence of it shown.
For me this one clearly show rtgi, baked gi cannot do this
3faCVoJ.jpeg
This is one hundred percent RTGI, there's no mistaking it.
sorry not seeing what you guys are seeing. maybe the slight red hue on the horse but other than that? what exactly screams RTGI in these shots?

eNT1TY

sorry not seeing what you guys are seeing. maybe the slight red hue on the horse but other than that? what exactly screams RTGI in these shots?
Proper occlusion on npc's in the indoor scene relative to primary source and no light bleed from secondary sources like the candles and the blinds on impacted objects , on a baked solution light would bleed through dynamic objects and npc's at the base as if they weren't there.

JCreasy

Imagine killzone 2 remake on ps6 :messenger_open_mouth:

Yes, this. I want this!

With a concentration on the art.

Wishcasting: Borrow Yoji Shinkawa. "Hey Kojima, dude, we gave you Decima for free! Let us borrow Yoji for some character design."

Wide-Linear. Exactly. This is my happy place. The sweet spot. I remember this being one of the key achievements of Uncharted 4. ND made even better use of it in TLOU 2. Curated and intentional without compromising a sense of epic scale.

GTA kicked-off a trend decades ago that devs are still obsessed with. From a user perspective, most of the time open world just means taking longer to get from point A to point B. So much so, that "fast travel" was invented to hide what I really see as a flaw in the user experience (Wukong, notwithstanding. I don't feel overwhelmed with sprawl in that game). Faking grand space is not a flex anymore. Is it kinda cool? Yeah, I guess. But not if it comes at the expense of better, detailed art assets.

I feel like I would be much more excited about the Horizon IP if it had concentrated biomes with more detailed art assets. I like hanging around the camps the most when I play the game for this very reason. They're just more interesting to look at. I'm much more intrigued by exploring the apocalyptic world in TLOU than I am the one in Horizon. I love the character models in Horizon more, but I wish it had TLOU environments. I'd much rather be probing through bespoke abandoned buildings, homes and drawers than climbing mountains.

Wukong has its performance flaws. But turns out I don't really care, which is nice. The Game Science Art Director GOT TO FUCKING COOK! This should be the ambition of most modern AAA devs.

Last edited:
Yes, this. I want this!

With a concentration on the art.

Wishcasting: Borrow Yoji Shinkawa. "Hey Kojima, dude, we gave you Decima for free! Let us borrow Yoji for some character design."

Wide-Linear. Exactly. This is my happy place. The sweet spot. I remember this being one of the key achievements of Uncharted 4. ND made even better use of it in TLOU 2. Curated and intentional without compromising a sense of epic scale.

GTA kicked-off a trend decades ago that devs are still obsessed with. From a user perspective, most of the time open world just means taking longer to get from point A to point B. So much so, that "fast travel" was invented to hide what I really see as a flaw in the user experience (Wukong, notwithstanding. I don't feel overwhelmed with sprawl in that game). Faking grand space is not a flex anymore. Is it kinda cool? Yeah, I guess. But not if it comes at the expense of better, detailed art assets.

I feel like I would be much more excited about the Horizon IP if it had concentrated biomes with more detailed art assets. I like hanging around the camps the most when I play the game for this very reason. They're just more interesting to look at. I'm much more intrigued by exploring the apocalyptic world in TLOU than I am the one in Horizon. I love the character models in Horizon more, but I wish it had TLOU environments. I'd much rather be probing through abandoned buildings, homes and drawers than climb mountains.

Wukong has its performance flaws. But turns out I don't really care, which is nice. The Game Science Art Director GOT TO FUCKING COOK! This should be the ambition of most modern AAA devs.
It's not like you can even say this will hurt sales. The game sold 20 million sales and counting, there's not even definite confirmation that those 20 million aren't from steam alone. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

In the closeup the the character has a yellow tinge on her face from what I believe is light bouncing off of her clothes onto her face/neck, similar to below. I will wait for confirmation but I don't see how they would do something so subtle and precise with light probes.

8YlnSie.jpeg

SlimySnake

I understand why they didn't, but really wish we got a glimpse into what GOT2 looks like on the Pro instead of base console.
virtually every single game on the Pro so far is using the base PS5's performance mode to hit 60 fps. the fidelity mode on the base PS5 is still the best looking mode with all the fancy rt effects and other graphics settings.

sucker punch showed this in the fidelity mode which will no doubt look better than the pro which will simply use the performance mode and add PSSR reconstruction on it. maybe an rt effect or two from the fidelity mode, but thats about it. just 2x the framerate of the fidelity mode you are seeing here.

It was different back in 2016 when the base ps4 could only do 1080p so they used the ps4 pro to do 4kcb and uploaded that to youtube. now the ps5 can do native 4k or 4kcb anyway in the 30 fps mode so there is really no point in using the pro version of the game to market it.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I understand why they didn't, but really wish we got a glimpse into what GOT2 looks like on the Pro instead of base console.
Why ? The userbase of the Pro will most likely be very small, and regular PS5 users don’t want to feel like they will get an inferior experience

Sony's strategy this gen has been a very safe and conservative one, making remasteres and cost saving where they can. It's a very strange strategy since what got them so big last gen was making blockbuster titles that blew everyone away with their tech. I guess they looked at the numbers and saw what it would cost them to properly upgrade their engines and got scared so they played it safe. I think moving towards a single engine or two or three like what Ubisoft does would be the best option if they wanna cost save, but this would require new vision and radical change, something that Sony leadership doesn't seem to be capable of at the moment as you mentioned.
Yes, call it the Sony™️ (or something similar), engine. I’ve been saying this for years, even in this thread. If all major sony studios invested into one engine and it was tailored to (code to the metal), Sony would be graphics champions. Imagine they took the Naughty Dog engine made in their Sony™️ engine and added RTGI, a Nanite like feature, tailored RT support and a mode for 60fps performance mode option and a 30fps (Maximum graphics fidelity mode to push god like visuals). Some games could be 30fps only to push crazy Hellblade 2 and beyond visuals, it would be up to whatever the studio wanted. This engine would allow sony to use proprietary features to use every drop of power from the PS5 and PS5 Pro.

AW_CL

“Assassin’s Creed Shadows is our upcoming open-world action-adventure RPG taking place in Feudal Japan. We’ve been working diligently to maximize the experience on PS5 Pro.

Leveraging the increased ray-tracing capabilities of PS5 Pro, Assassin’s Creed Shadows will exhibit an enhanced ray-traced global illumination technology. Thanks to PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR ) and combined with the more powerful GPU, players will see improved rendering systems and an increase in the photorealism and immersion of the game. As players explore Feudal Japan, they can expect improved environments, ambiance and atmosphere as well as more details, up close and at a distance.

With PS5 Pro, players will be able to experience a visually stunning game that fully immerses them in 16th century Japan.”

Yeah exactly that's why I'm getting the pro

GymWolf

Gold Member
Slimy you have to tell me where you saw this snow improvement other than that literal 1 sec at the beginning during a damn cutscene that is not really indicative of anything, unless you are talking about improvement compared to sushi1 that has no snow tech or a very shitty one, i can't remember.

The actual snow tech look bog standard as hell and not better than 2018 frozen wild dlc, around 2:00

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Slimy you have to tell me where you saw this snow improvement other than that literal 1 sec at the beginning during a damn cutscene that is not really indicative of anything, unless you are talking about improvement compared to sushi1 that has no snow tech or a very shitty one, i can't remember.

The actual snow tech look bog standard as hell and not better than 2018 frozen wild dlc, around 2:00

Nah. That’s it. Literally that one shot. Looked very next Gen to me. The other gameplay shot did not.

Msamy

The lighting in all those react in high natural way especially in the Pic I posted you can watch that segment in the trailer this lighting cannot be done by baked light maps or light probes , I currently play with Godot Engine to build a game for mobile phones 😅
And it's have software semi real time gi solution called sdfgi it's like lumen but lumen far ahead, sadly this solution is disabled when you build for mobile phones so I try to fake real time gi in every possible way but I can't get results with natural and good lighting behavior in open and closed areas.

Kikorin

Yotei looks good because of great art style, but is a huge disappointment from this trailer on a tech side. I really can't see how this is looking better than the first one on PS4 from anything but the draw distance and maybe the cutscenes. Is a Spider-Man 2 situation all over again to me, we already have games like Wu Kong or Alan Wake 2 that looks far more impressive. And to stay on open world, Horizon: FW looks a lot more impressive even considering has been released on PS4 too. Let's wait for some long gameplay to judge, but I think is disappointing for a Sony first party game released only on PS5 in 2025. Obviously it still looks good and I'll gladly play it, but Sony Studios this gen are pretty disappointing if compared to PS3/PS4 gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They do. I never noticed this before. Wish more games had that
I'm not even sure if they actually move, but they just have these umm...folds? (no idea what is the correct english word) that make it look like it's not a painted texture on the legs of the characters like most pants, they realy look like baggy pants, like an actual object separated from the legs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yotei looks good because of great art style, but is a huge disappointment from this trailer on a tech side. I really can't see how this is looking better than the first one on PS4 from anything but the draw distance and maybe the cutscenes. Is a Spider-Man 2 situation all over again to me, we already have games like Wu Kong or Alan Wake 2 that looks far more impressive. And to stay on open world, Horizon: FW looks a lot more impressive even considering has been released on PS4 too. Let's wait for some long gameplay to judge, but I think is disappointing for a Sony first party game released only on PS5 in 2025. Obviously it still looks good and I'll gladly play it, but Sony Studios this gen are pretty disappointing if compared to PS3/PS4 gen.
I think it's probably unfair to put Sony studios on a pedestal hoping that they would give us that generational leap other studios simply haven't been able to. Maybe this is just as good as it gets. Especially when it comes to open worlds.

Yotei looks as good as Star Wars Outlaws, Crimson Desert, AC Shadows, Jedi Survivor, and FF16. Maybe a little bit behind Avatar which is a class of its own. These games are all open world and simply cannot compete with linear titles like Hellblade 2, Alan Wake 2 and to a lesser extent Wukong which is mostly wide linear save for that one level at the end. But that also takes a big hit visually coming from other more linear levels earlier in the game.

A lot of these next gen games dont show off well on youtube. I was down on black myth before it launched. Same goes for FF16 and Jedi. Both ended up being stunning games that had their own strengths compared to HFW which was a stunning achievement at the time, but kinda falls apart upon close scrutiny.

Yotei's draw distance is already apparent. If they are using RTGI then its other strengths will become more apparent when we finally play these games. Yes, materials and character models dont seem to have gotten a huge leap, but just like outlaws and Avatar, it will look next gen when you compare it side by side.

I was watching the DF GOW Ragnorak video running on a 4090 and its shocking how poor some of these materials, assets and geometry look. This gen has been a revelation when it comes to packing detail and higher fidelity assets when compared to last gen games, and unless devs go out of their way to showcase that in trailers, we wont necessarily notice it until we go hands on.

SlimySnake

I finally got Wukong and Star Wars outlaws to run with Path Tracing without stuttering all the time. Either latest drivers helped or the newest patches fixed some bugs maybe. Still only 30 fps but with plenty of GPU available so it feels very consistent. Zero stutters or frametime spikes.

It honestly doesnt make a big difference in Outlaws, but Wukong gets a big boost in shadows and RTGI. All the shrines now have a glow on plants and other objects around them. I dont know why lumen doesnt do that but whatever. Lots of interiors now get proper bounce lighting so they are brighter. Not sure if this is what the devs intended because everything is brighter and more exposed but i suppose its more realistic?

Exteriors look mostly the same but they pop more. Hard to describe. Noticed the same thing in outlaws during day time. I wonder if its placebo or if the bounce lighting is making the ground reflect the sunlight more? Stunning looking games.

Shame they both crash after around 15-20 minutes of play time. some kind of memory leak. Outlaws straight up bricks my PC. Still, going from traditional shadows in Wukong to ray traced shadows is such a revelation especially in levels packed with trees. outlaws already has RT shadows so its not that big of a difference.

DanielG165

Continuing my Xbox One X crusade: Forza Horizon 5 looks pretty damn good on this thing, with visuals that are very close to that of Series X’s performance mode, but at 30fps. It’s also pretty impressive how much of the scenery it manages to keep in memory, even the dense jungle areas, and how non invasive the pop-in is. It’s there, and I can tell, but it’s not egregious enough for me to care. The box itself stayed near silent as well, yet was outputting some major heat, so FH5 definitely pushes it. I’ve seen it look even better on my PC, but as a casual experience just to play, it looks lovely on the last gen machine.

Far Cry 6, modern Ubisoft aside, is another big game that runs really well here also. I think it’s a dynamic 4K, which is nuts for a game like this, and once again, everything stays in memory extremely well despite there being so much density. The fidelity is fantastic also.

I know I’m years late you all, so forgive me, I just think this console is so damn cool, and it has really really impressed me this past week and a half. It still can absolutely chew through heavy cross gen games.

SlimySnake

If you guys really want to be disappointed, take a look at the Monster Hunter Overview. It looks worse than most last gen open world games.

Everything looks very dynamic though. And lighting isnt as bad as everything else so like Dragons Dogma 2 they might be using RTGI here. Still, everything from the draw distance to materials, rocks, textures and character models look atrocious. Hard to believe they ditched MT Framework for this engine. remember, deep down was real and playable back in 2014.

I think Capcom is going for a more systems driven approach. it didnt land in Dragons Dogma 2 but maybe it does here. I kinda wish they went back to the Lost planet 2 days where they were still targeting higher fidelity visuals but i suppose you cant have both in 2024.

Last edited:
Top Bottom