• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Bitstream

which "may" hint at RTGI, but regardless

Lack of RTGI is disappointing after so many here had convinced me that the game featured it

It's definitely RTGI. The Green Arrows are the path of the direct lighting from the sun which then bounces off of the foliage (black arrows) back upwards onto the horse and main char

2PVTGJG.jpeg

Msamy

Really fuck kojima and fuck sony who give us this bullshit where they have a new system and suppoced to show it's power with new titles , and instead of that they use cross gen titles to convice peoples to buy it, even ghost 2 trailer run in regular ps5

Msamy

Some one in the main thread of this show said that kojima mentioned that ds2 are 40% complete lol if that true we won't t see it before late 2026

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I was in denial for a long time but its time to accept the truth, sony studios are no longer the cream of the crop.

See above. UE5 could never.

Kojimas skin shaders are pretty good, but everything else looked last gen-ish. Facial and body animations were both a bit stiff, and I couldn't help but notice how static the card based hair looked.

So stiff.

You Got Me GIF by HULU

hinch7

I just want to see more realistic hair since thats been largely neglected by most gaming companies. Baffling seeing the contrast between really well shaded, animated and textured assets and models; only for hair to deform like its stuck in the 2010's.

Thankfully GTA VI is coming next year, if no delay.
h6c7hGShPQwMs3UBLY.webp

giphy.webp

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

Couldn't disagree more. It's fine for what it's doing, but I'll always appreciate a game with striking art combined with grounded lighting over another game that wants to go for photorealism only. A lot of these UE5 games are looking sooooo annoyingly familiar it's very boring.
I 10000% agree with you. I don’t understand why so many people like the photorealism graphic style, it looks extremely boring and has no art at all. If I had to choose between the graphics of ER and Wukong, or GOT and Assassin's Creed , I would still always choose ER and GOT.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The rocks in Tatooine are so fucking poor, they might as well be ps3 tier rocks. However, the lighting is too die for. You can go from trash looking visuals to the most beautiful desert level ive ever seen just by turning around and facing the sun.

the city is also so full of detail. Mix that in with just gorgeous sunset lighting and some incredible material work and this level just might look better than Wukong's desert levels. There is so much more going on here.

EJI4q4S.gif

LUQVKFV.gif

iVoxYBH.gif

This last gif is insane because now i only see the poor ps3 era rock textures but during the game all i could notice were those buildings in the background, the incredible volumetric fog and lighting. the materials on buildings dont show up well here but in hdr, they stood out like they had hero lighting applied to them or something.

It's such a shame that the game is so damn mediocre because the artists put so much love into crafting this world. the cities are full of NPCs doing different things. the game world simply feels lived in.

CGNoire

They want to show everything but gameplay.
Because there isnt any worth showing cause Kojima would would much rather direct machin
Kojimas got his own boy band? Someone needs to cut this dudes budget. Konami was right to fire him lmao.
Yeah Im a huge MGS Kojima stan and even I have to admit hes become a Pretentious Twat thats in love with the smell of his own surreal farts now.

Packing in a bunch of allegories associated with the present zeitgeist isnt enough anymore for me to continue to give him a pass on his increasing surreal borefests.

I 10000% agree with you. I don’t understand why so many people like the photorealism graphic style, it looks extremely boring and has no art at all. If I had to choose between the graphics of ER and Wukong, or GOT and Assassin's Creed , I would still always choose ER and GOT.
But imagine if ER was technically on the level of wukong… my god

I just want to see more realistic hair since thats been largely neglected by most gaming companies. Baffling seeing the contrast between really well shaded, animated and textured assets and models; only for hair to deform like its stuck in the 2010's.

Thankfully GTA VI is coming next year, if no delay.
h6c7hGShPQwMs3UBLY.webp

giphy.webp
I’m bracing for a slight downgrade in the next trailer. But GTA6 is my last hope for this generation

Msamy

DS2 visuals just arent impressing me. Looks like DS1 with slightly higher texture work and im straining to even see that. The characters which so many are praising here are the biggest let down
Actually the characters this time are built using ue5 meta human tech which confirmed in the first trailers, also the game is far better than ds1 in all aspects in cutscenes but I don't trust cutscenes the few seconds gameplay in the last 9 minutes trailer isn't enough to judge the gameplay graphics quality.,lol I even think that ghost 2 3 minutes trailer have more gameplay scenes than all ds2 trailers that showed until now

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol ds2 is gonna be even less of a game than the first one, brace yourself :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But the digital acting and animations are excellent.
But using famous actors is a cheat, the brain is always gonna consider them more real because it make the connection with people that actually exist compared to made up models.

The models and faces are still inferior to that ue5 metahuman demo with the dude who just speak to the camera.

For the argument graphic vs art design, you people are crazy.

Tsushima could have his great art design AND wukong graphic, the 2 things are not mutually exclusive, this sound like the fox and the grape tbh...
Shitty textures are not gonna help your artstyle, especially when you are clearly going for a realistic style, shitty textures are just shitty textures.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Actually the characters this time are built using ue5 meta human tech which confirmed in the first trailers, also the game is far better than ds1 in all aspects in cutscenes but I don't trust cutscenes the few seconds gameplay in the last 9 minutes trailer isn't enough to judge the gameplay graphics quality.
Metahuman can often look like shit. Not saying it does here. Its upgrade over DS1 still isnt obvious to me. Im sure its there but it seems way more subtle than others are suggesting.

Ive been coming to this thread a long time now and its come to my attention that many others here are far more easily impressed with current gen character rendering than I am. Ive been majorly let down on that front the entire gen with HB2 , HFW and Marvel1943 being the only exceptions. Like outside of those 3 game Not Impressed at all.

I agree completely on not trusting cutscene graphics though.

Msamy

Metahuman can often look like shit. Not saying it does here. Its upgrade over DS1 still isnt obvious to me. Im sure its there but it seems way more subtle than others are suggesting.

Ive been coming to this thread a long time now and its come to my attention that many others here are far more easily impressed with current gen character rendering than I am. Ive been majorly let down on that front the entire gen with HB2 , HFW and Marvel1943 being the only exceptions. Like outside of those 3 game Not Impressed at all.

I agree completely on not trusting cutscene graphics though.
I am not hugely impressed with ds2 currently in last year maybe, but after games like wukong, hb2 and others ds2 seems now as regular current gen achievement equally impressive as others true current gen titles (if it's gameplay match it's cutscenes) , infact ghost 2 (which many here don't like) impress me slightly more also for marvel 1943 if it ends having graphics like what they showed, it will be best looking title this gen and no other game will match it until next gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
I am not hugely impressed with ds2 currently in last year maybe, but after games like wukong, hb2 and others ds2 seems now as regular current gen achievement equally impressive as others true current gen titles (if it's gameplay match it's cutscenes) , infact ghost 2 (which many here don't like) impress me slightly more also for marvel 1943 if it ends having graphics like what they showed, it will be best looking title this gen and no other game will match it until next gen
Marvel 1943 is probably gonna be a glorified tech demo like hb2 tho.

Vick

Gold Member
DS2 visuals just arent impressing me. Looks like DS1 with slightly higher texture work and im straining to even see that. The characters which so many are praising here are the biggest let down.
Totally agree personally.

Tsushima could have his great art design AND wukong graphic, the 2 things are not mutually exclusive, this sound like the fox and the grape tbh...
Shitty textures are not gonna help your artstyle, especially when you are clearly going for a realistic style, shitty textures are just shitty textures.
Tsushima visual goal never was straight realism but more of a stylized hyperrealism. Focus wasn't on texture resolution necessarily but surface shaders and PBR, where every asset had to evoke a certain feeling. It's still probably the most visually striking game I've ever played.

98GiByl.png

TO5Bxyf.png

STPWaBJ.png

yPjRxJN.png

j8Jim9b.png

1x5SH4l.png

dFeDXRY.png

IzV9Zpl.png

XvmLY3E.png

hMlkfWu.png

eDqXieL.png

r2FT28y.png

Rc53y1Z.png

5f9RY0n.png

afltexP.png

iK3dQEB.png

t5etHw5.png

5aphprn.png

CSxPub0.png

du2mNw9.png

HmJbvuE.png

acI7PI0.png

I have kind of lost confidence in Naughty Dog. What have they even done this gen?
They were forced to work on four Remasters, and a cancelled game.

However, their The Last of Us: Part I is nonetheless the most visually consistent game I've played on PS5 along with Demon's Souls.
Just as the latter, not only looks stunning and, despite being barely improved upon Part II waaay above 90% of stuff from the industry, but at great IQ in every mode and rock solid performance.

Top Bottom