• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Vick Vick i played the game 2 times, i know how it look, sorry but i can't unseen those horrid textures, they detract from the overall img quality for me.

You can have old samurai movies aesthetics AND micro-details at the same time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It looks like they added more detail to Sam’s face. Compare that to Rainy, a newer character that’s still lacking a bit of detail in her face.

The materials are excellent. Damn. Imagine this all applied to a Killzone 3.
Women have more perfect skin than men, asian women even more, that's probably why she look undetailed.

same engine, same face scanning tech, same game, 2 real actors

The-Callisto-Protocol-Dani-scaled.jpg

cal.jpg

one look like a vg character, the other look like a real dude.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
There is still a little chance that tlou3 is gonna beat everyone, but it's very, very small at this point...
There is a 100% chance TLOU 3 will top everything. Its TLOU, everything is top quality throughout the franchise. It wont come out looking last gen, too important of a name

Last edited:

Xtib81

I'm afraid we're not getting DS2 anytime soon. Kojima said that they would reveal the release date next year.. so, we're probably looking at a q3-q4 2025 release date :/

GymWolf

Gold Member
This short film was made by 3Lateral and you will find the exact same tech in HFW and DS2 because they were are also working on these games.
Yeah but that character still looks better, don't you think? so games still haven't catch up yet with the best that metahuman can offer, my bad if i said ue5.
There is a 100% chance TLOU 3 will top everything. Its TLOU, everything is top quality throughout the franchise. It wont come out looking last gen, too important of a name
Yeah but do we know if ND is still the old ND?

I'm afraid we're not getting DS2 anytime soon. Kojima said that they would reveal the release date next year.. so, we're probably looking at a q3-q4 2025 release date :/
We already know that PlayStation will not release any big games for this fiscal year but expect to release several of them for the next two fiscal years.

Yotei could release in the summer like the first one, DS2 will probably release after the TGS of next year.

Sony also appears to still have at least one big unannounced game for next year that will likely be revealed in a future State of Play.

You mean like LoU Part 1 "built from the ground up on Playstation 5" Remake? That project has to make you wonder just a little bit about what we should expect from ND in the future. Druckman and his cohorts were all top happy to lie their faces off to us about that game. I don't care if it started out by Bend and was finished by ND or if it was not an "important" release. It was sold to us as if it was a full blown Last of Us game, at full price. At the very least that tells me we're dealing with a different Naughty Dog today as they used to have more pride than that.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You mean like LoU Part 1 "built from the ground up on Playstation 5" Remake? That project has to make you wonder just a little bit about what we should expect from ND in the future. Druckman and his cohorts were all top happy to lie their faces off to us about that game. I don't care if it started out by Bend and was finished by ND or if it was not an "important" release. It was sold to us as if it was a full blown Last of Us game, at full price. At the very least that tells me we're dealing with a different Naughty Dog today as they used to have more pride than that.
That project was made by a small team of new hires, not the whole team. has nothing to do with the quality output. Also, the game looked amazing for what it was.

Watch the GROUNDED TLOU2 documentary, it’s clear they take their reputation seriously and want b anything ND/TLOU related to be best-in-class.

Not worried about their next project at all

Audiophile

My only issue with DS2 (mentioned this before...); is the accuracy of the DoF (Depth of Field). The characters all still have that glaring bloom/glow around them here -- particularly on hair and faces -- and it completely breaks an otherwise great looking image.

Hopefully with the Pro they can use that extra bandwidth and GPU cache to ~double the accuracy and minimise this. I'm pretty sure a couple devs showing of Pro upgrades for their titles have mentioned doing this sorta thing. So fingers-crossed...

GG working on a GaaS. Horizon 3 is likely a PS6 cross gen game at this point.

What a disaster.
Horizon Online has its own team, they have been working on it for several years already. Guerrilla has increase its workforce to be able to work on two projects at the same time.

With current development times and the fact that HFW was released in 2022, there is no world that exists where the game could be released before 2027 even if their multiplayer game did not exist that would not change the problem.

Even for CD Projekt, the next The Witcher is still not in full production, so that means it won't be released at least before 2027.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Horizon Online has its own team, they have been working on it for several years already. Guerrilla has increase its workforce to be able to work on two projects at the same time.
Thats what they said about Naughty Dog. Factions had its own team. TLOU1 remake was made by interns. Their next game is deep in development blah blah blah. We are 4.5 years in and still not a single screenshot for their next game.

A 100 person team from Sucker Punch released a trailer before they did.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

2025? Dude all these games are getting delayed to 2026. GTA, Ghost of Yotei, Death Stranding 2. Everyone of these games has a AC shadows and Kingdom come delay written all over them.

Open world games need like 6-12 months of QA time AFTER they have been finished. Zelda and FF16 devs talked about how they got the games done almost a year ahead of time and just spent the rest of time fixing bugs and polishing the game. They might be done with dev by 2025 but just like with AC shadows, they will realize that its not enough.

Kangx

My only issue with DS2 (mentioned this before...); is the accuracy of the DoF (Depth of Field). The characters all still have that glaring bloom/glow around them here -- particularly on hair and faces -- and it completely breaks an otherwise great looking image.

Hopefully with the Pro they can use that extra bandwidth and GPU cache to ~double the accuracy and minimise this. I'm pretty sure a couple devs showing of Pro upgrades for their titles have mentioned doing this sorta thing. So fingers-crossed...
Is this what you hoping for?

The new engine update on the pro is tailored make for Kojima. It might be the best looking game cutscene wise at 30fps. At 60 fps gameplay, I think it will be one of the best looking one.

Msamy

2025? Dude all these games are getting d elayed to 2026. GTA, Ghost of Yotei, Death Stranding 2. Everyone of these games has a AC shadows and Kingdom come delay written all over them.

Open world games need like 6-12 months of QA time AFTER they have been finished. Zelda and FF16 devs talked about how they got the games done almost a year ahead of time and just spent the rest of time fixing bugs and polishing the game. They might be done with dev by 2025 but just like with AC shadows, they will realize that its not enough.
As you said, pretty sure ds2 and ghost 2 will delayed to early-mid 2026,, also for gta vi there is a strong possibility

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I can't help shake the feeling that GoY is a sort of dlc add on rather than a full on sequel. Regardless, it looks beautiful in motion. Someone mentioned the horses looking robotic? 😅 Fuck off.

SlimySnake

Lol Stellar Blade devs added boob simulation. They no longer clip and have accurate simulation when touching arms and squeezing them together.

This in the same update that added skirt physics for it to blow in the wind exposing her panties.

Game still looks like a souped up PS3 era game but priorities....

Last edited:

SlimySnake

One good thing about Ghost Of Yotei is that the image quality isnt a pristine native 4k.

I can see a lot of artifacts in this official shot especially on the protagonist. That means its probably being reconstructed somehow and the era of native 4k sony exclusives is over. And we can finally get them to utilize the full GPU power on visual fidelity instead of just rendering 8 million pixels.

GYlfrgzWMAARvij

The other screenshots look really clean so i might be wrong and seeing things. Did DF say what resolution this thing was running on?

Xtib81

2025? Dude all these games are getting delayed to 2026. GTA, Ghost of Yotei, Death Stranding 2. Everyone of these games has a AC shadows and Kingdom come delay written all over them.

I'm quite confident DS2 will release in 2025. It will have been 6 years of development. Unless it's very different from DS1, the game doesn't have a lot of complex systems.

Audiophile

Is this what you hoping for?

The new engine update on the pro is tailored make for Kojima. It might be the best looking game cutscene wise at 30fps. At 60 fps gameplay, I think it will be one of the best looking one.

Yup, that's the stuff!

Looks so much better. :messenger_sunglasses:

Hopefully it carries over to DS2.

SlimySnake

I love this brief overexposed effect in Star wars as you exit interiors into mid day conditions.

w4VYd6G.gif

FZaMwb3.gif

OLyXbvd.gif

Honestly, if GoT can have this level of asset fidelity and material work in their towns, i will be happy. It looks so dense and full of detail, im honestly blown away by it despite it not looking as good as black myth or hellblade or the matrix awakens. It's a clear leap in visual fidelity thanks to the lighting, materials, and model work, and im hopeful Ghost of Yotei can come close to this.

Luipadre

I love this brief overexposed effect in Star wars as you exit interiors into mid day conditions.

w4VYd6G.gif

FZaMwb3.gif

OLyXbvd.gif

Honestly, if GoT can have this level of asset fidelity and material work in their towns, i will be happy. It looks so dense and full of detail, im honestly blown away by it despite it not looking as good as black myth or hellblade or the matrix awakens. It's a clear leap in visual fidelity thanks to the lighting, materials, and model work, and im hopeful Ghost of Yotei can come close to this.

Gonna play this in november on the Pro. Should look great

RaduN

w4VYd6G.gif

FZaMwb3.gif

OLyXbvd.gif

Best open world environment i've seen in a game, hands down.

AW_CL

One good thing about Ghost Of Yotei is that the image quality isnt a pristine native 4k.

I can see a lot of artifacts in this official shot especially on the protagonist. That means its probably being reconstructed somehow and the era of native 4k sony exclusives is over. And we can finally get them to utilize the full GPU power on visual fidelity instead of just rendering 8 million pixels.

GYlfrgzWMAARvij

The other screenshots look really clean so i might be wrong and seeing things. Did DF say what resolution this thing was running on?
ALf2u9i.png

d9cMXiC.png

The level of detail in the distance is impressive.

hinch7

I’m bracing for a slight downgrade in the next trailer. But GTA6 is my last hope for this generation
I don't think we need to worry. Rockstar don't do bullshots and bs target renders for their reveals and games. We usually get what is advertised - like in their GTA 4 and 5 trailers.

And same. Forget about targeting 60fps for the weak specs in consoles. Go all out on physics, density and fidelity.

Last edited:

vivftp

ALf2u9i.png

d9cMXiC.png

The level of detail in the distance is impressive.

Quite impressive, especially on base PS5. That one official screenshot of Atsu staring at the landscape from near the end of the trailer is full of so much detail when you zoom in. You can see hidden structures in the trees, waterfalls in the distance.... it all looks so good!

I also played around with Google street view and they happened to have an angle that roughly matched that one angle from the trailer with the horses. The sense of scale and the draw distance are amazing. I'm VERY excited to play this on the Pro.

Untitled.png

Magik85

During ship scene in Death Stranding 2, there is something off with character lighting.
While the ship itself is having kinda greenish tint, the characters are blue/grey. They looks like theire copy-pasted to location with diffetent lighting temperature. Also those cool caustics, you can see on the walls, dont seem to affect characters at all.

vivftp

During ship scene in Death Stranding 2, there is something off with character lighting.
While the ship itself is having kinda greenish tint, the characters are blue/grey. They looks like theire copy-pasted to location with diffetent lighting temperature. Also those cool caustics, you can see on the walls, dont seem to affect characters at all.

That's the effect when they're on the beach. The ship can travel between the normal world and the beach. People appear blue when on the other side

Last edited:

Bojji

I don't think we need to worry. Rockstar don't do bullshots and bs target renders for their reveals and games. We usually get what is advertised - like in their GTA 4 and 5 trailers.

And same. Forget about targeting 60fps for the weak specs in consoles. Go all out on physics, density and fidelity.

They even showed RDR2 on PS4 pro with that dog shit reconstruction while they could have used pristine 4k Xbox one x version.

They are surprisingly honest so far.

Lethal01

Quite impressive, especially on base PS5. That one official screenshot of Atsu staring at the landscape from near the end of the trailer is full of so much detail when you zoom in. You can see hidden structures in the trees, waterfalls in the distance.... it all looks so good!

I also played around with Google street view and they happened to have an angle that roughly matched that one angle from the trailer with the horses. The sense of scale and the draw distance are amazing. I'm VERY excited to play this on the Pro.

Untitled.png

As long as you dont aim for realism, making a game look better than real life is easy.

JCreasy

Women have more perfect skin than men, asian women even more, that's probably why she look undetailed.

same engine, same face scanning tech, same game, 2 real actors

The-Callisto-Protocol-Dani-scaled.jpg

cal.jpg

one look like a vg character, the other look like a real dude.

Callisto Protocol looked SO GOOD!

Are shadows playing a role here?

Revisiting the 1943 reveal trailer. Why do the faces look THIS good? The female character here has an equally blemishless face, but somehow it ends up looking almost photorealistic. Could it possibly be self-shadowing? Is Lumen helping the skin materials look more realistic?

I hope Guerrilla is prioritizing lighting in their Decima upgrade.

Last edited:

With current development times and the fact that HFW was released in 2022, there is no world that exists where the game could be released before 2027 even if their multiplayer game did not exist that would not change the problem.

Even for CD Projekt, the next The Witcher is still not in full production, so that means it won't be released at least before 2027.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn was initially developed to have some sort of multiplayer component. Just makes no sense for them to take this long to release one since the initial concept was meant to include it.

Either way Sony 1st Party output this gen is dog shit. I have no hope for anything substantial to drop in 2025.

Also fuck Herman Hulst.

SlimySnake

I went back to watch the DF video on the PS5 version of GoT and while it looks great most of the time, this draw distance made me laugh.

FxuX3Bw.jpeg

Just fixing this with higher fidelity trees and foliage should go a long way towards a more next gen presentation.

The lighting style is also much more cartoony in the game. Much more than i remember. Yotei is a substantial leap in comparison.

Yes, these games arent a massive leap like we anticipated but they will look substantially different when put side by side.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I went back to watch the DF video on the PS5 version of GoT and while it looks great most of the time, this draw distance made me laugh.

FxuX3Bw.jpeg

Just fixing this with higher fidelity trees and foliage should go a long way towards a more next gen presentation.

The lighting style is also much more cartoony in the game. Much more than i remember. Yotei is a substantial leap in comparison.

Yes, these games arent a massive leap like we anticipated but they will look substantially different when put side by side.

Such harsh lighting in those PS4 shots where the landscape is either glowing or covered in the unnatural sharp shadows of the trees. Compare to Yotei with the soft. pleasant shadows. Reminds me a good deal of FFXVI best areas, although I pray Yotei is 1000x more consistent

JVSSF9E.jpeg

Thats what they said about Naughty Dog. Factions had its own team. TLOU1 remake was made by interns. Their next game is deep in development blah blah blah. We are 4.5 years in and still not a single screenshot for their next game.

A 100 person team from Sucker Punch released a trailer before they did.
Sucker Punch is making sequel, Naughty Dog a new IP. With a new IP, there is always a factor of experimentation to take into account to find the right formula so it will always take more time.

Now for most of its games Sony seems to want to unveil them only a year before their release so it's not surprising that we haven't seen anything of the Naughty Dog game yet.

Six or seven years of development for a new IP is pretty much the norm so we could estimate that the ND game will be released in 2026-2027.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn was initially developed to have some sort of multiplayer component. Just makes no sense for them to take this long to release one since the initial concept was meant to include it.

Either way Sony 1st Party output this gen is dog shit. I have no hope for anything substantial to drop in 2025.

Also fuck Herman Hulst.
It's not exactly that when Guerrilla started prototyping for Horizon, they had an idea for co-op but they left that idea aside because Horizon was already an ambitious project for thème.

Which in itself is not very surprising because when you see Horizon, it's hard not to think of Monster Hunter and that a game in this genre could be successful if it's done well.

Guerrilla publicly stated in December 2022 that they had created a new team internally and are launching a major recruitment campaign for this team so we can assume that the release window for the game is probably something like late 2025-2026.

Top Bottom