• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

Lol Stellar Blade devs added boob simulation. They no longer clip and have accurate simulation when touching arms and squeezing them together.

This in the same update that added skirt physics for it to blow in the wind exposing her panties.

Game still looks like a souped up PS3 era game but priorities....

Doing the Lords Work.

Same tech....different Results though.
DS2 animation doesnt touch that video.
I kind of hope you will not get the same result in a big video game with lots of cutscenes compared to a short film which is made to sell you this technology.

When we look at something like the quality of the hair rendering in this short film, we would quickly be out of budget in any game.

It's like when Epic unveiled its Rebirth demo which ran in real time on Unreal Engine 4 so that should have mean that games that use quixel had to have the same quality of assets as this demo but that was never the case for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Bojji

So umm...hobo ps5 always had framegen tech like nvidia dlss3 framegen and i wasn't aware of it? wtf?

They started using it very recently and mostly get it wrong. Developers are hilariously incompetent sometimes.

You need at least that 45-50FPS and 120hz windows and it should look ok - Immortals of Aveum is doing that (check the demo!).

What is missing is tech like reflex of anti lag 2 to reduce internal latency, for some reason consoles that are closed platforms with 1 or 2 (max) hardware configurations don't have anything like that so far.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They started using it very recently and mostly get it wrong. Developers are hilariously incompetent sometimes.

You need at least that 45-50FPS and 120hz windows and it should look ok - Immortals of Aveum is doing that (check the demo!).

What is missing is tech like reflex of anti lag 2 to reduce internal latency, for some reason consoles that are closed platforms with 1 or 2 (max) hardware configurations don't have anything like that so far.
I thought you needed specific hardware inside the gpu to do that, basically the reason why series 4000 can do it and series 3000 cant.

I guess that made just with software is never gonna be as good as nvidia.

Bojji

I thought you needed specific hardware inside the gpu to do that, basically the reason why series 4000 can do it and series 3000 cant.

I guess that made just with software is never gonna be as good as nvidia.

Nvidia is full of shit as always, FSR3 has comparable quality, yet it doesn't need any specialized hardware.

The best thing is that in some games you can use DLSS to reconstruct + FSR3 for FG + reflex to lower latency and end result is quite fucking great - it even uses less vram than DLSS3.

On Pro there is nothing stopping devs from using PSSR + FSR 3.1 FG, other than their own incompetence of course :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Audiophile

Who do I talk to about the graphics settings on the simulation?

I went outside today and the distance fog was definitely dialed in too close/high. Pretty sure I saw a construction worker in a partial T-Pose too...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who can I talk to about the graphics settings on the simulation?

I went outside today and the distance fog was definitely dialed in too close/high. Pretty sure I saw a construction worker in a partial T-Pose too...
Every time i see construction being done on the road, i see 6 guys standing around doing nothing while one poor bastard is either digging or working a tractor. every single time.

And yes, this is the thread to have these graphics discussions. i actually took a picture of some fancy rocks at my local mcdonalds the other day because they looked worse than hellblade 2 rocks. last night after 3 days of Hurriance Helene rains, the reflections on the road were exhibiting FSR2 artifacts instead of pristine mirror like reflections. I was like God is a lazy developer.....

GYuoIeSXIAAeF8o

While looking through my phone, i found another similar pic lol I have issues.....
GYuoID3W4AAHhUh

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The problem with these pics is that differently from hellbalde 2, these rocks don't turn into a geometry\texture mush but gets more detailed the more you get close like it would happen in reality.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
that's because it is reality

the fuck are you guys talking about lol
We are just fucking around because some of us are very picky with assets and sometimes real life pics don't look as full as microdetails as videogames (for how absurd it can sound).

Slimy was probably friendly trolling me because i'm the biggest graphic whore in here when it comes to assets, but it's easy to fraud-check a videogame when it comes to assets, you just have to zoom enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Outlaws photomode screenshot. I wish the devs just let us play with these photo mode filters. I think one of the sony exclusives did that. demon souls remake i think.

GYrDNyUa0AA35qp

Trilobit

That cozy rain makes me wish the elements had a much bigger impact in games like this. When playing around I'd like a storm to be able to hurt me, or even have me wait until it has passed because a mission becomes impossible during it. I liked the part where you walked up the mountain and it was freezing and you had to be by a fire, but that wasn't a game mechanic elsewhere. Not graphics related, I was just reminded by it from the timestamp.

Mobilemofo

d803293f-55e5-4868-9a3e-296324e8d5fd_text.gif

Moving to another subject, wow people really believe to the 400mil budget for concord just because that moriarty dude say so uh?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It's bollocks, of course. But it does make you wonder how many people they had "working" on this, and also, if they were on some sort of drugs when they mistakenly presumed this was "the future of playstation" , for fucks sake. 😅

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's bollocks, of course. But it does make you wonder how many people they had "working" on this, and also, if they were on some sort of drugs when they mistakenly presumed this was "the future of playstation" , for fucks sake. 😅
Oh yeah, the whole thing was a huge waste of money and manpower no doubt and if helmet was really so high on the game he need to go asap before he cause another blunder.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Oh yeah, the whole thing was a huge waste of money and manpower no doubt and if helmet was really so high on the game he need to go asap before he cause another blunder.
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that whilst they are working out where they are going direction wise, outside of this GaaS shit, they should be continuing the trend of fine single player games. A large segment of the market really enjoy these sorta games. I fuckin love them personally. So many good memories...isn't that what gamings about?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that whilst they are working out where they are going direction wise, outside of this GaaS shit, they should be continuing the trend of fine single player games. A large segment of the market really enjoy these sorta games. I fuckin love them personally. So many good memories...isn't that what gamings about?
You and me both brotha.

SlimySnake

DF is saying they cant see anything RT in the Ghost trailer.

It's crazy to me that a sony first party studio would take 5 years to make a game and leave out all rt features. cyberpunk had rt in 2020 the year GoT came out.

ND, GG, SSM, BP, Housemarque, SP, PD and Insomniac would have all released games this gen, and only insomniac have included RT in their games. PD i suppose is finally including it but for the Pro. Just fucking weird man.

Last edited:
That's weird because i don't see how you get this result with baked light maps or light probes but maybe i'm wrong.

3faCVoJ.jpeg

There is also no light bleed from secondary sources like the candles.
I think they mentioned it "may" have dynamic bounce lighting but that it was hard to tell... regardless, the game just looks like the first one to me but with higher settings and some better shaders for character detail and stuff.

sncvsrtoip

It's crazy to me that a sony first party studio would take 5 years to make a game and leave out all rt features. cyberpunk had rt in 2020 the year GoT came out.

ND, GG, SSM, BP, Housemarque, SP, PD and Insomniac would have all released games this gen, and only insomniac have included RT in their games. PD i suppose is finally including it but for the Pro. Just fucking weird man.
Just good decision, cyberpunk looks like shit on ps5 as most other games with rt

JCreasy

Hellblade 2 rocks in comparison. Real life doesnt have the cinematography of hellblade 2.

C6ooSw9.gif

I’m back on my bullshit: UE5 has been the single most impressive graphical achievement of this generation.

It just is.

If you want a visually impressive gen 9 game, that conversation begins and ends with UE5.

If I told y’all that Naughty Dog was revealing their new IP tomorrow, everyone would be excited. If I told y’all Naughty Dog was revealing their new IP tomorrow, and they’re going all in on UE5, everyone would lose their collective minds!

If I told y’all Insomniac switched to UE5 for Wolverine, the collective thrill would be euphoric!

It’s UE5.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

And? I think it was the technical director at Insomniac Games,but RT has to be something the team wants as opposed to a tacked on element. Maybe Sucker Punch didn't need RT to to achieve what they wanted their game to look like.

//DEVIL//

I don't have pics. but I finished Wukong the other day and started playing Warhammer...

man. Warhammer looks miles better than wukong. Wukong doesnt look very clean and lots of fuzziness around the character. warhammer 2 kinda looks better (cleaner) IMO.
Playing with 4090.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Maybe Sucker Punch didn't need RT to to achieve what they wanted their game to look like.
Maybe. Maybe not. Doesnt matter. game looks like an underwhelming upgrade over the previous game despite having access to 8x more gpu power and RT capability.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter what tech you use. The results should speak for themselves. They dont here.

The only reason why i brought up RT is to explain the smallish leaps we've seen in other games which are using RT over focusing on pushing visual fidelity. At least I could make sense of it since RT has a huge cost. So when i see games that are not using RT and fail to give us that next gen leap, I cant explain it.

The draw distance is impressive so maybe the 8x GPU is going there.

SlimySnake

I’m back on my bullshit: UE5 has been the single most impressive graphical achievement of this generation.

It just is.

If you want a visually impressive gen 9 game, that conversation begins and ends with UE5.

If I told y’all that Naughty Dog was revealing their new IP tomorrow, everyone would be excited. If I told y’all Naughty Dog was revealing their new IP tomorrow, and they’re going all in on UE5, everyone would lose their collective minds!

If I told y’all Insomniac switched to UE5 for Wolverine, the collective thrill would be euphoric!

It’s UE5.
What's frustrating about this is that Wukong doesnt even use nanite all that well. its got some really shoddy texture work in spots. It doesnt use nanite for the amazing looking forest levels. It does not use Virtual shadow maps. And yet it still manages to look so much better than what we've seen from so many other studios.

Still, lumen GI + lumen reflections + nanite are just a game changer. the results speak for themselves and any studio failing to implement these features needs to switch to UE5. Just accept defeat like cd project did and move on. Give epic their 20% cut or get left behind.

It's shocking to me that these guys saw the PS5 UE5 tech demo 6 months before the ps5 came out, and said to themselves, nah we are good with what we have. then they looked at the matrix demo some 3 years ago, and just gave up. it's shocking.

at least some ue4 devs like striking distance and respawn upped the asset quality of their assets. and massive implemented some fancy foliage tech along with RT effects, and also upped their materials and assets in outlaws. but ubisoft quebec, insomniac, square enix, capcom, kingdom come devs, and now sucker punch are just kind of refusing to go next gen. it's so fucking frsutrating. we are 1 month away from hitting year 5 of this gen. Year 5. and 90% of the studios are following sony's lead and refusing to upgrade their engines.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I'm surprised Death Stranding 2 has been brought up but nobody has mentioned the cloth physics:

And don't just pay attention to the jacket, look at the way the fabric on his pants stretches, bunches up and creases realistically. That is far beyond anything I've ever seen in a video game.

looks like the best mo cap in a game ever.

This is going to be a total graphics juggernaut

SlimySnake

I find it funny that a random game from a no-name chinese (korean?) developer will look better than most AAA games next year.

Just stunning visual fidelity. its not just the amazing lighting and asset quality, but also the gorgeous volumetric fog, art design, and other visual effects that all come together much like they did in Wukong. i was sleeping on this game. but not anymore. animations are amazing too.

GooseMan69

I find it funny that a random game from a no-name chinese (korean?) developer will look better than most AAA games next year.

Just stunning visual fidelity. its not just the amazing lighting and asset quality, but also the gorgeous volumetric fog, art design, and other visual effects that all come together much like they did in Wukong. i was sleeping on this game. but not anymore. animations are amazing too.

I’ve had my eyes on this since they revealed it. Looks absolutely awesome.

Top Bottom