• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I don't have pics. but I finished Wukong the other day and started playing Warhammer...

man. Warhammer looks miles better than wukong. Wukong doesnt look very clean and lots of fuzziness around the character. warhammer 2 kinda looks better (cleaner) IMO.
Playing with 4090.

Warhammer looks great but man I have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion of yours. Wukong is possibly the best looking game ever, IMHO.

Rayjin

Neo Member
I'm surprised Death Stranding 2 has been brought up but nobody has mentioned the cloth physics:

And don't just pay attention to the jacket, look at the way the fabric on his pants stretches, bunches up and creases realistically. That is far beyond anything I've ever seen in a video game.

its not that impressive considering its a none interactive cutscene entirely focused on that small plane, you can do whatever you want with your computing/rendering budget when you take a way controls from the player

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't have pics. but I finished Wukong the other day and started playing Warhammer...

man. Warhammer looks miles better than wukong. Wukong doesnt look very clean and lots of fuzziness around the character. warhammer 2 kinda looks better (cleaner) IMO.
Playing with 4090.
Lol space marine 2 is nowhere near wukong...

Spectacle and warhammer aesthetics and the horde tech do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

littlezoo

Neo Member
I feel like overall Wukong still looking better.

b1---9_29_2024-4_24_54-PM.jpg

b1---9_29_2024-4_44_44-PM.jpg

b1---10_1_2024-1_55_17-AM.jpg

b1---10_1_2024-1_38_03-AM.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finishing up Outlaws. I wish the game was more fun because this is the best looking world ive explored this gen. Even better than Avatar which looked better in the forest area but mediocre in the other two biomes. Here the game looks great in Toshara with gorgeous lush fields and stunning time of day changes. it looks stunning in the foliage rich Akiva planet with some of the best weather effects i've seen in a game. And then finally Tatooine which has probably the best looking town ive seen this gen. Not to mention the interiors which somehow look even better than jedi survivor's with stunning asset quality and reflections.

But like Avatar, it's just not a fun game to play. It's slightly more fun I suppose but i cant play it for more than one hour without getting bored and switching to Black Myth.

regardless, Massive is full of extremely talent graphics designers and programmers. I love the lighting here. I love how they upgraded assets from Avatar. Especially the material quality which can look amazing thanks to RT reflections whether you are indoors or outdoors, and this is why RT and having higher quality assets with proper materials is really important. You can just randomly stumble on to an area like this and marvel at how beautiful a tiny room can look in a massive open world town.

W20EZSu.gif

This is a room that is getting indirect lighting from outside but there is a room between this room and the outdoor environment which does get direct sunlight. maybe they are faking it by using light probes. I dont care, it looks amazing for an open world game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The best looking location for me was mos easley, the city on tattoine.

But avatar highs in the jungle are higher than anything i saw in outlaws that also has way lower lows.

SlimySnake

The best looking location for me was mos easley, the city on tattoine.

But avatar highs in the jungle are higher than anything i saw in outlaws that also has way lower lows.
yeah, thats the town im talking about. just amazing lighting and texture work. they have all these fancy metallic objects lying around and they look shiny in the best way.

Sadly, the rocks and mountains look god awful compared to UE5 games and i really fucking hope they figure out some nanite like solution if only to improve the rocks. And i hope they go back and retroactively patch that in both Avatar and outlaws.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I find it funny that a random game from a no-name chinese (korean?) developer will look better than most AAA games next year.

Just stunning visual fidelity. its not just the amazing lighting and asset quality, but also the gorgeous volumetric fog, art design, and other visual effects that all come together much like they did in Wukong. i was sleeping on this game. but not anymore. animations are amazing too.

This is why I don’t get the outrage in that thread about the western dev calling out the Japanese devs.

Korea and China are going to eat their food very quickly. These guys are making beautiful AAA games on their first attempt at making a game…

The west and Japan are going to be second class citizens if they don’t step it up. Give these Chinese and Koreans the same budgets and it is fucking over.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is why I don’t get the outrage in that thread about the western dev calling out the Japanese devs.

Korea and China are going to eat their food very quickly. These guys are making beautiful AAA games on their first attempt at making a game…

The west and Japan are going to be second class citizens if they don’t step it up. Give these Chinese and Koreans the same budgets and it is fucking over.
I think its because Japanese devs (with the exception of Square Enix) have produced a bunch of highly critically acclaimed games in the last few years. Elden Ring, RE4 Remake, Zelda ToTK all look last gen as fuck, but are undoubtedly great games. Even FF7 which i hated has somehow gotten a 93 on metacritic.

But wukong might end up taking GOTY this year over Rebirth, and next year we are getting Crimson Desert and Phantom Blade that will bitch slap anything nintendo, capcom or square enix put out in terms of graphics.

Next year will definitely be interesting as AC Shadows, death stranding 2, kingdom come, Ghost of Yotei, Fable, Crimson desert, all compete for that open world crown only to lose to GTA6 or some UE5 masterpiece like 1943.

DanielG165

One game that I’m personally excited for, graphically, is Sparking Zero. It may not be a tour de force, but as a longtime Dragon Ball fan, it looks just like the anime, and manga stills, but fully realized in motion. The animations alone look insane, with tons of squash and stretch during special moves.

It’ll be a feast for the eyes for me in-person at 4K.

all compete for that open world crown only to lose to GTA6 or some UE5 masterpiece like 1943.

I firmly believe that GTA 6 is going to be the golden standard for open world detail and fidelity for the next several years. That may be setting my expectations too high, but with the likes of GTA 5, and RDR2 out there, I can’t see GTA 6 being nothing short of a graphical monster that all other open world titles will answer to, less something goes catastrophically wrong.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

By the way my dudes, the Unreal Fest at Seattle is back at it today. It will have three separate streams.

Look at the name of a section from Livestream 2 closely... The death of cinematics and rise of "TVmatics"? What are they cooking?
image.png
whatever it is, i hope massive are paying attention. outlaws has the worst cutscenes and character models in a cutscene ever. characters literally look better OUTSIDE of cutscenes.

Audiophile

Hope we get a break down of whatever Guerrilla's new upscaling / AA method is.

Looks really nice.

Perhaps they're using the layering the ID buffer (used for checkerboarding) and ML..?

Lethal01

The West makes games with good graphics while Japan makes game that many think are actually fun.
summed up by Slimy's post on outlaws and Avatar looking great but being mediocre games while Nintendo puts out a little ZElda game that people say they actually enjoy playing.

Wukong is great graphically but gameplaywise it's just okay.

All perspective ofcourse, some people think Avatar and Rukong have amazing gameplay while Nintendo games are boring.

GymWolf

Gold Member
it's a AA game from a small team in Czechia that were majorly funded through Kickstarter. Why are we comparing this with Outlaws ?
No no i was just saying that it's one of the few games where prerendered cutscenes look actually worse than the gameplay.

Last edited:
Lol for those mother fuckers who said ps5 can't have amazing graphics because they want fuckin 60fps or they are one of those lazy developers
This certainly isn't running at 60 frames per second, the resolution must be atrociously low as well... But who cares, we're running over one thousand light sources on a PS5.

Last edited:
Okay for HB2 (and we know why, it's barely a game) but wukong on ps5 is quite inconsistent. In other words, 4 years after the demo, only one 'game' has matched the demo.
Wukong is an UE5.0 game, it's the very first version of the engine. We're already on 5.4 and on track to 5.5, in case you haven't noticed... The fact it even gets this close is already as much as a testament as it gets.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wukong is an UE5.0 game, it's the very first version of the engine. We're already on 5.4 and on track to 5.5, in case you haven't noticed... The fact it even gets this close is already as much as a testament as it gets.
A game with a scale between wukong and hb2 could probably reach very similar results while still being a game and not a tech demo.

Nextgen we are gonna have hb2 quality in open world games if god exist, and even better in smaller games.

Last edited:
A game with a scale between wukong and hb2 could probably reach very similar results while still being a game and not a tech demo.

Nextgen we are gonna have hb2 quality in open world games if god exist, and even better in smaller games.
CDProjekt is our MVP here. Technically still counts as next gen, yeah.

SlimySnake

Why are people hyping up the UE5.5 demo running on a ps5?
Context. What they showed was effectively something from the future. hundreds if not thousands of realtime light sources all casting shadows. Watching that demo, i was like yeah whatever, this is probably running on a 4090. But to hear them confirm that its running on a PS5 basically means that we can now get games with more dynamic light sources than ever before. Hence, the surprise. It's not a pipe dream to expect on current gen hardware.

And several UE5 games have delivered on that promise of UE5. Just not in all aspects like hellblade 2 and wukong have; as both games are consistently high quality and push not just tech but also art design and AAA production values. Remnant 2 and Robocop have a really cool nanite implementation, but robocop's B-game feel and remnant 2's procedural look ruins each game's presentation and makes them look cheap. However, the tech featured in both games is the real deal and it shines through in several spots.

li1meRd.gif

SghHdvT.gif

winjer

Gold Member
Remnant 2 problem is that it's not using Lumen. It's only baked lighting, like UE4.
But considering that it was one of the first UE5 games released, it looks quite good.
Robocop, by using Lumen, looks even better. Depending on the scene, it can look very close to photorealistic.

Top Bottom