• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Two open world games, where day-night cycle makes sense, and therefore RT. Traditional linear games don’t need that frame rate dead weight that is RT. I’ll go one step beyond on my non popular opinion: traditional reflections are just fine when done properly. I’ll see you all with torches and forks at the entrance of my house.
lol I dont feel that strongly about this.

I think Callisto is a good example of baked lighting mixed in with RT reflections and shadows. The RT reflections were so high quality, they were reflecting lights even on stone walls on top of the obvious metallic surfaces. But the game is 8 hours long and handcrafted to oblivion. You can see even ND who is now making 25-30 hour linear games cant get every room to look that good. SSM had the same issue. Some areas look amazing. The rest is super dull and boring. I thought i was playing a b Ubisoft game. I dont know. Maybe they just needed higher quality lighting.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of baking in lighting can help explain why Spiderman 2 looks amazing when you are above the city, and so fucking ordinary when you are on the ground. Is it because all the direct sunlight is being blocked by those skyscrapers and all we have is indirect lighting? But if their baking process is taking days then surely they are using some fancy render farm with really high quality lighting. Why cant that handle better indirect lighting on the ground?

Cyberpunk has better indirect lighting on streets regardless of whether or not RT is enabled. With some exceptions DF pointed out. So maybe insomniac needs to upgrade their lighting engine even more.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How is the actual game though, is it better than Alan Wake 2? I found that game really atmospheric, but shit combat and way too many fucking puzzles. . Hopefully SH2 maintains the moodiness/atmosphere, but has better combat??
Way better, it's an actual game and not sam lake trying to beat kojima in fart sniffing.

Combat is wish.com tlou2 but it is meaty enough.

Enemy variety is a bit shit tho (but tlou2 is not exactly much better)

And yes you can turn down puzzles to easy but they are still harder than your average uncharted puzzle so you may want to check solutions online.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The little girl Laura looks real in silent hill 2. I dont know why she can look straight up CG and the other female characters look so wooden and fugly.

Maybe others can chime in here but the game features some very realistic cheekbone physics. Maybe its just some animations but they move in ways i have never seen before. Sadly they made James' face thinner after the backlash, but you can still see it from time to time when he clinches his face. I dont know. I dont recall seeing this before. The women in the game got the short end of the stick, but laura and james both look amazing.

Also want to give props to whatever hair tech they are using. It looks great even in gameplay.
We are past the times when kids were harder to do than adults, now they look better:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think nata from mh wilds looks better than any other character in the game

MH_Wilds_Nata_01-1456x819.jpg

It has that ff16 """"""""""""""""""cg""""""""""""""" look that you love so much.

It was the same with angrboda in ragnarock, she had BY FAR the best face in the game.

About sh2, the digital acting\voice acting is hit and miss, james is great but fucking angela had me in stitches in the knife scene when she was crying, but it's blooper so it's already kuch better than anyone was expecting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom