• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

H . R . 2

I mean when I look it at normally RE4 remake looks next gen. Of course Horizon is top tier.

But I agree it has low Textures. Not perfect but still next gen beauty imo
when you look at how good-looking RE engine is [lighting/textures/shaders] in titles like DMC V, you'll realise the only thing holding it back is none other than VR integration, particularly in RE series [ which is why RE2 looks far better than Village or RE7 ]
Dante's model in DMC V is so beautifully crafted and detailed , all the character models in that game were already next-gen
I'd argue Dante's hair looks even better than Leon's

this particular scene with Dante on his bike was orgasmic :
devil-may-cry-v-dante.jpg

Crimson-Coat-Devil-May-ry-5-mod.jpeg

devil-may-cry-5-vergil.jpg

devil-may-cry-5-v1.jpg

Last edited:

paolo11

when you look at how good-looking RE engine is [lighting/textures/shaders] in titles like DMC V, you'll realise the only thing holding it back is none other than VR integration, particularly in RE series [ which is why RE2 looks far better than Village or RE7 ]
Dante's model in DMC V is so beautifully crafted and detailed , all the character models in that game were already next-gen

devil-may-cry-5-v1.jpg

I’m a noob so my apologies to ask but what is VR integration?

alloush

We're still a good 15-25 years away from visual perfection in real-time graphics (and that's assuming with some discontinuities vis-a-vis the current pace of change, like AI NeRF rendering). Another thing that will also take AI to perfect is fluid, lifelike animation, that's on a whole another tier of difficulty.
Ahhh everytime someone mentions life-like animations you see me popping up. I get excited but sad at the same time at the sheer mention of animations. Animations are still years and years away from becoming life-like, no idea how many years exactly but I know we are a whole while away from reaching human-like animations. The day we do every game on earth will change considerably not just sports games.

What bothers me the most about this topic is the fact we barely hear anyone talking about animations bar probably us sports gamers. It is a very underrated area and probably up there with the most important ones. What grinds my gears even more is the fact we haven't gotten a proper jump in animations since prolly the PS3 and I wish I was joking. We need to see proper strides being made in this area, it will totally change how we play games. Unfortunately it seems like an afterthought to them lazy devs.

Lethal01

Go play biomutant if you actually want decent graphic with similar artstyle

How high are you? Biomutant is a far from BoTW as Zelda is from Call of duty.

Can we left zelda and his low res ass texture
I honestly don't want the texture to get very more detailed, just more varied.
the simple texture give the game a really nice look.

out of the fucking graphic fidelity topic?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm just talking about the graphical fidelty I want, which is BoTW at higher res with better draw distance and more variation, throw in some real time raytracing just so the Ambient occlusion already in the game doesn't disappear at angles. again, it already looks far better than Horizon, Death stranding ETC.

And I'm sure it will look better than the most graphically impressive thing to come out of this Gen.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'm just talking about the graphical fidelty I want, which is BoTW at higher res with better draw distance and more variation, throw in some real time raytracing just so the Ambient occlusion already in the game doesn't disappear at angles. again, it already looks far better than Horizon, Death stranding ETC.

And I'm sure it will look better than the most graphically impressive thing to come out of this Gen.
naw-mike-epps.gif

There is nothing on Nintendo that has the fidelty to go against games from last gen let alone the best from this gen.

How high are you? Biomutant is a far from BoTW as Zelda is from Call of duty.

I honestly don't want the texture to get very more detailed, just more varied.
the simple texture give the game a really nice look.

They have a very similar look he is right, how can't you not see that, outside the cell shaded character and more detail in Biomutant they have the same style. And zelda has textures but the detail is soo low that it looks like it doesn't. Again the reason they go for that style is the weak ass hardware, that way they can hide all the low res assets and textures. You act like Zelda goes for the style of The Witness with zero texture detail. Biomutant also looks very similar to the first Zelda unveiling. You will see if they have more power its gonna look more like Biomutant than anything else.

Zelda
MV5BZWFkODA5YWQtNTMzYy00NDUyLWFhYTEtZDNjNzJiN2U1ZjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg4MjI1MDU@._V1_.jpg

Biomutant
txhM3jgPEDhhUKf85Ha2XA.jpg

Again this is what they wanted Zelda to look like before all the downgrades
2560x1600.jpg

And this is how Biomutant looks
biomutant-for-pc_9dyq.jpg

LordOfChaos

Good actors are good actors, but is there any reason to make them look the exact same as the celebrity?

I mean even in video game VA there's a few key names that are common and recognizable so the voice wouldn't be too bad

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

devil-may-cry-5-v1.jpg
RE Engine is AMAZING. I actually think their 60 fps target is holding them back here. This could be as good as anything ND and Rockstar have put out if they just locked the damn framerate. They cant hit 60 fps on base consoles so why even bother. Lock to 30 fps and just use the remaining GPU power to increase graphics fidelity.

Even then, RE4 looks amazing at times. Their character models truly shine in cutscenes, and the lighting is exceptional. The rain level in the village is one of the best graphics ive seen. Parts of the castle look amazing too.

I actually took some videos of the new hair system because i was very impressed by Ashley's hair. Leon looks ok, but Ashley and Luis look really great in motion.

Lethal01

There is nothing on Nintendo that has the fidelty to go against games from last gen let alone the best from this gen.

Don't need that graphical fidelity to look better.

They have a very similar look he is right, how can't you not see that, outside the cell shaded character and more detail in Biomutant they have the same style. And zelda has textures but the detail is soo low that it looks like it doesn't. You act like Zelda goes for the style of The Witness with zero texture detail. Biomutant also looks very similar to the first Zelda unveiling. You will see if they have more power its gonna look more like Biomutant than anything else.

2560x1600.jpg

Yes, this makes it clear that they are going for a very different look, If you think the style of these two are drastically similar you're crazy. the cell shading, the way textures are painted, how they handle the lighting in general, it's all very obviously anime/ghibli inspired. I'm not saying BoTW lack texutres, and higher resolution would be better, but they really don't need to be super detailed, we know that's not what they want since we see exactly how they want things to looks in the cg portion of this teaser.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Don't need that graphical fidelity to look better.

Yes, this makes it clear that they are going for a very different look, If you think the style of these two are drastically similar you're crazy. the cell shading, the way textures are painted, how they handle the lighting in general, it's all very obviously anime/ghibli inspired. I'm not saying BoTW lack texutres, and higher resolution would be better, but they really don't need to be super detailed, we know that's not what they want since we see exactly how they want things to looks in the cg portion of this teaser.

Again, outside the charachters the world is not cell shaded or flat like i said. They want to have better textures and assets and thats the reason they tried to improve in the new game. But its still lacking and low res because its coming on switch and thats the reason it looks like that.
5dh0ckU.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-switch-switch-game-nintendo-eshop-europe-wallpaper-3.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-switch-switch-game-nintendo-eshop-europe-wallpaper-4.jpg

This is the style you think that Zelda is going for but it is not lol
arwFtHN9mLMQtHs3tr9rJC.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
naw-mike-epps.gif

They have a very similar look he is right, how can't you not see that, outside the cell shaded character and more detail in Biomutant they have the same style. And zelda has textures but the detail is soo low that it looks like it doesn't. Again the reason they go for that style is the weak ass hardware, that way they can hide all the low res assets and textures. You act like Zelda goes for the style of The Witness with zero texture detail. Biomutant also looks very similar to the first Zelda unveiling. You will see if they have more power its gonna look more like Biomutant than anything else.

Zelda
MV5BZWFkODA5YWQtNTMzYy00NDUyLWFhYTEtZDNjNzJiN2U1ZjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg4MjI1MDU@._V1_.jpg

Biomutant
txhM3jgPEDhhUKf85Ha2XA.jpg

2560x1600.jpg

Thanks buddy, i was too lazy to search for screens.

Lethal01

This is the style you think that Zelda is going for but it is not lol
arwFtHN9mLMQtHs3tr9rJC.jpg

You are totally misinterpreting me, but maybe it's my fault so I'll just try to reapeat myself
I agree that they should improve texture and asset and I agree that the entirety of BoTW world isn't cellshaded.

However I do think the style of the asset is going for something very different than what Biomutant is, They definitely want something far more paintery(again, i'm not saying textureless and flat shaded) Even when they upgrade their assets it will still be much more stylized, I think this is cerain not just because of what they have said they are going for but also AGAIN, the pre rendered CG trailer they didn't for the announcement of sequel and the very first trailer you posted.

Lethal01

Is today hyperbole day? Well let's play.

Plainsong alone smash anything inside zelda art design wise

FLj4-Gn-Xw-AMFe-OY.jpg

FLj35k-FWUAEEz-LQ.jpg
Too busy

I don't see how saying I think one game looks better than another game could possibly be hyperbole, I never said anything about Zelda being more technically impressive.

I'm enjoying this chance to talk about the graphical improvements I care about and want to see.
Anyway I don't actually wanna bring Horizon down, I think it looks good, I was just saying how much I'm much more interested in seeing stylized game, especially BoTW getting graphical upgrades while maintaining their simple style.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Too busy

I don't see how saying I think one game looks better than another game could possibly be hyperbole, I never said anything about Zelda being more technically impressive.

I'm enjoying this chance to talk about the graphical improvements I care about and want to see.
too busy... nintendo and their shitty hardware really did a number on some of you uh? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:Let's try something simpler

FLj4-Gp-YWYBAi20-G.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220216154755.jpg

51886500497_b8a2d69535_k.jpg

51888119525_85082c3def_k.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-44163-4519_0090.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-44163-4519_0103.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-44163-4519_0075.jpg

And i can literally go on for days since hfw is the open world with the largest number of different biomes compared to pretty much any other open world.

Last edited:

Lethal01

too busy uh, nintendo and their shitty hardware really did a number on some of you uh? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:Let's try something simpler

FLj4-Gp-YWYBAi20-G.jpg

And i can literally go on for days since hfw is the open world with the largest number of different biomes compared to pretty much any other open world.
You can post for weeks and you still wont show me anything that looks better than what I already posted

It just doesn't look that appealing to me. I'm just not a big fan of realistic art, so a stylized game like Zelda looks far better to me.
It's okay for us to like different thing, I don't think Horizon looks terrible, but even if they had 1000x more power the game just wouldn't look as nice as Zelda already does, to me. I don't think Horizon is objectively inferior or anything, but it's definitely not objectively superiorm, since, ya know, it's art.

Anyway we are decades away from getting realistic art that can totally nail realism. Butw with a 4090 we can already perfectly excute on the vision of BoTW.

but if Nintendo triggers you.

dt00jzg2bega1.png

I'm also a big fan of hifi rush, 4k resolution does wanders for rendering outlines with varying line thickness, people highly underestimate the technical difficulty of getting outlines that actually look like drawings, they are an aliasing nightmare, we still got a long way to go but we're making progress.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Horizon is not full on realism, it still has a certain degree of stylized stuff.

I would be ok with finding tlou2 or hellblade 2 locations dull, but not horizon and his super vivid colors and bombastic enemies.

And i love cell shading, wind waker is still my favourite zelda game, botw just doesn't hit the same to me.

Lethal01

Horizon is not full on realism, it still has a certain degree of stylized stuff.

I would be ok with finding tlou2 or hellblade 2 locations dull, but not horizon and his super vivid colors and bombastic enemies.

And i love cell shading, wind waker is still my favourite zelda game, botw just doesn't hit the same to me.

I don't remember saying it was dull at all, I'd say it's far more colorful and saturated than BoTW is. Hated Skyward swords look and liked but didn't love Windwaker but Botw was just the right blend. And ofcourse I can see horizon is 100% realism but how close it is to realism is a lot of what make me less interested.

That all said thing like the ambient occlusion being screenspace and sucking like all screenspace effect do as well as emmisive objects not actually casting light (honestly this happens even in raytraced games) sucks and I hope to see the day that botw using raytracing to fix this.

I'm sure people will say it's a pointless use of it and it doesn't make a difference like they say on every other game, but the shadows AO being 10% more consistent would mean the world to me. I actually threw some more advanced screen spac GI and AO into those screenshots, I'm sure most wouldn't notice but I think it looks great.

H . R . 2

I’m a noob so my apologies to ask but what is VR integration?
I was referring to the fact that REVillage and RE7 were developed with VR in mind so the vast majority of the game, although beautiful, could have been far more impressive in terms of graphics.
once you play DMCV or RE2 you'll immediately realise that the engine is not pushed its limits in the other RE-powered titles

E-Cat

too busy uh, nintendo and their shitty hardware really did a number on some of you uh? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:Let's try something simpler

FLj4-Gp-YWYBAi20-G.jpg

Horizon, while technically impressive, looks too ornate and ’videogame-y’ for me with its overly saturated colors. I much prefer the plainer looks of something like FF16.

Aaron Olive

No point in saying anymore. Letha01 is that guy that has Delusions of Grandeur because his next door neighbor has the newest sports car every year and he’s like my 2005 model is still better.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah but we must all agree Nintendo is slacking in the HW department, instead of having 2 SKU's Mobile | Home.
Gameboy | Gamecube.
Never said otherwise.

But nintendo seems pretty firm on going with the gimmicky way since wii and many people seems to be ok with it.

Last edited:

Lethal01

No point in saying anymore Letha01 is that guy that has Delusions of Grandeur because his next door neighbor has the newest sports car every year and he’s like my 2005 model is still better.

I mean, I took those BoTW screenshots on my 3090. enjoyed running it at 8k with Realtime GI, I got my PS5 collecting dust until spiderman and Final fantasy 7 Rebirth gets here too.No delusions here I've got all the power I need and the best way to utilize it is making BoTW look even better while I wait for the rest of the industry to catch up:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:.

But seriously though, I do indeed have many games from 2005 and prior that look far better than anything on PS5.
Subjective ofcourse, just like you thinking Horizon looks better than street fighter third strike.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
You can post for weeks and you still wont show me anything that looks better than what I already posted

It just doesn't look that appealing to me. I'm just not a big fan of realistic art, so a stylized game like Zelda looks far better to me.
It's okay for us to like different thing, I don't think Horizon looks terrible, but even if they had 1000x more power the game just wouldn't look as nice as Zelda already does, to me. I don't think Horizon is objectively inferior or anything, but it's definitely not objectively superiorm, since, ya know, it's art.

Anyway we are decades away from getting realistic art that can totally nail realism. Butw with a 4090 we can already perfectly excute on the vision of BoTW.

but if Nintendo triggers you.

dt00jzg2bega1.png

I'm also a big fan of hifi rush, 4k resolution does wanders for rendering outlines with varying line thickness, people highly underestimate the technical difficulty of getting outlines that actually look like drawings, they are an aliasing nightmare, we still got a long way to go but we're making progress.
This is fair but you're arguing art style versus graphics.

SlimySnake

I honestly like Zelda's art style. I think its visually pleasing in cutscenes, but there is no denying that they are using flat PS2 quality textures on most rocks and mountains. Foliage is replaced with a flat texture on anything that isnt directly in front of you. You can see this in every single gameplay trailer they've released this year and they've released several.

Then there is the IQ. Im glad Lethal can play this on his 3090 but 99.99% of the people played this on the crappy switch where it looked absolutely atrocious despite being 1080p in docked mode. The IQ in the latest trailer shows they are way below 1080p this time around. I have played RDR2 on 900p on an xbox slim and it did not have the jaggies and shimmering this game has.

Guilty Gear, Gravity Rush, Wind Waker all have a similar art style but they do not forego basic fucking textures like BOTW did. What Tears is doing is taking it to the next level. IQ is almost as bad as Bayonetta 3. I admire that fucking game for its insane setpieces but it is clear that the game was not meant to be on that hardware. Sometimes developers have to check themselves. None of those setpieces had the impact setpieces in PS3 games had because they look utterly awful.

KXVXII9X

To my destruction bros, looky what I found. Destruction in an open world game with flying and NPCs reacting to it. What a novel concept!

Remember, Sony shut this team down.

This series still blows me away! I recently watched a documentary on how they developed the game and they put so much thought and talent behind it. Everything seemed to have a purpose. Even the direction of Kat's hair to signify the true position of the ground. I loved how objects interacted with the gravity and how lively it made the environment. Great animations helped with that too! I am still gutted about Sony shutting Japan Studios down.

Lysandros

Understood, Well, Do you think Switch 2 will reach 1,8 Teraflops?? What do you think is possible with that, in terms of games and mecanics???
1,8 TF on portable and 3,6 TF on Table Docked??
What would be the point to reach any arbitrary TF number in context of graphic complexity?

E-Cat

I honestly like Zelda's art style. I think its visually pleasing in cutscenes, but there is no denying that they are using flat PS2 quality textures on most rocks and mountains. Foliage is replaced with a flat texture on anything that isnt directly in front of you. You can see this in every single gameplay trailer they've released this year and they've released several.

Then there is the IQ. Im glad Lethal can play this on his 3090 but 99.99% of the people played this on the crappy switch where it looked absolutely atrocious despite being 1080p in docked mode. The IQ in the latest trailer shows they are way below 1080p this time around. I have played RDR2 on 900p on an xbox slim and it did not have the jaggies and shimmering this game has.

Guilty Gear, Gravity Rush, Wind Waker all have a similar art style but they do not forego basic fucking textures like BOTW did. What Tears is doing is taking it to the next level. IQ is almost as bad as Bayonetta 3. I admire that fucking game for its insane setpieces but it is clear that the game was not meant to be on that hardware. Sometimes developers have to check themselves. None of those setpieces had the impact setpieces in PS3 games had because they look utterly awful.
I've posted about this before, but I don't feel as though we ever got a true continuation to the OoT/MM artstyle, which I miss. They were vibrant and stylized, yes, but also flirting with a 'quasi-photoreal' direction with that natural lighting, shadows & deep contrast. TP went too far in over-correcting in the drab direction after WW, and SS and BotW both have this water-colory, washed out look. It doesn't evoke anything in me, it's not immersive.

It's only through these fan remakes that we see what could've ensued had Nintendo stuck to the cutting edge of technology and evolved the OoT/MM graphical style further (now imagine this with a $100m budget and Nintendo's art):

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I've posted about this before, but I don't feel as though we ever got a true continuation to the OoT/MM artstyle, which I miss. They were vibrant and stylized, yes, but also flirting with a 'quasi-photoreal' direction with that natural lighting, shadows & deep contrast. TP went too far in over-correcting in the drab direction after WW, and SS and BotW both have this water-colory, washed out look. It doesn't evoke anything in me, it's not immersive.

It's only through these fan remakes that we see what could've ensued had Nintendo stuck to the cutting edge of technology and evolved the OoT/MM graphical style further (now imagine this with a $100m budget and Nintendo's art):

Yeah, TP is where it started to go downhill for me. I loved Wind Waker's vibrant look. TP just looked washed out and fugly. I couldnt believe that game shipped on the same console as the other absolutely gorgeous Gamecube games.

I actually love the look of Link's Awakening. Gorgeous lighting and some of the best modeled assets in a nintendo game to date. Its obvious that the switch can only do great graphics if you limit the scope.

E-Cat

Yeah, TP is where it started to go downhill for me. I loved Wind Waker's vibrant look. TP just looked washed out and fugly. I couldnt believe that game shipped on the same console as the other absolutely gorgeous Gamecube games.

I actually love the look of Link's Awakening. Gorgeous lighting and some of the best modeled assets in a nintendo game to date. Its obvious that the switch can only do great graphics if you limit the scope.
Link's Awakening looks great! I much prefer this style of "cartoony Zelda" over BoTW/TotK. The latter aren't exactly 'fugly'; but their main problem is the washed-out, low-contrast look. If only they looked closer to the initial demo. A lot of it probably has to do with Switch being so weak-ass.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Second one looks kinda unsettling:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Robbinhood

Banned
The second Nintendo makes a game with the visuals like Horizon (in 20 years) Nintendo fans will fawn over it like the second coming. People have a hate boner for Horizon the same way they did Killzone because it was outclassing the competitors marquee franchise (Halo) and people hated that.

I don't think Horizon is perfect looking, it can be too busy at times but make no mistake, switch the platforms of the two games and the opinions change.

BOTW is awful looking for many reasons but even taking that away and looking at the artstyle only, the game gets boring to look at after a while because it lacks detail. Its so barebones that theres nothing to appreciate.

E-Cat

Second one looks kinda unsettling:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yeah. Zelda hasn't been unsettling for too long.

Perhaps it has something to do with me being a young lad when OoT came out. But Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple felt "disturbing" in a good way, and this graphical upgrade somewhat recaptures it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The second Nintendo makes a game with the visuals like Horizon (in 20 years) Nintendo fans will fawn over it like the second coming. People have a hate boner for Horizon the same way they did Killzone because it was outclassing the competitors marquee franchise (Halo) and people hated that.

I don't think Horizon is perfect looking, it can be too busy at times but make no mistake, switch the platforms of the two games and the opinions change.

BOTW is awful looking for many reasons but even taking that away and looking at the artstyle only, the game gets boring to look at after a while because it lacks detail. Its so barebones that theres nothing to appreciate.
I always piss my pants when i ask to botw fans why they consider exploration so good when the rewards are the shittiest ever made in an open world game and their serious response is "for the view".

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah. Zelda hasn't been unsettling for too long.

Perhaps it has something to do with me being a young lad when OoT came out. But Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple felt "disturbing" in a good way, and this graphical upgrade somewhat recaptures it.
Breaking weapons after 5 hits unsettled me well enough tbh.

E-Cat

I always piss my pants when i ask to botw fans why they consider exploration so good when the rewards are the shittiest ever made in an open world game and their serious response is "for the view".
I wouldn't be too hard on them, Nintendo fans experiencing an open world game are like plebs from East Germany let to roam over the wall for the first time.

Alex11

No game is, despite everyone praising their favourite, they can say what they want about it, but for me Horizon and Death Stranding are the most impressive games visually in the last 10 years.

CamHostage

To my destruction bros, looky what I found. Destruction in an open world game with flying and NPCs reacting to it. What a novel concept!

Not sure what this adds though? It's a fun effect of just silly chaos, but it's mostly animated physics and particle effects (like how splinters go away, leaving just core debris if that once the cycle ends,) and none of it interacts with the NPCs other than triggering a switch to the panic state of animation. Ratchet games are doing stuff like this all the time. Gravity does add in a nice cloth sim frill, that's a nice touch.

I do agree that this gen has been frustrating lacking in frills-filled game scenes, just having tech goofiness added to show off and look cool. Have more fun, game makers!

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
No point in saying anymore. Letha01 is that guy that has Delusions of Grandeur because his next door neighbor has the newest sports car every year and he’s like my 2005 model is still better.
He's right though. Horizon is technologically impressive but artistically garish. The extreme "hero lighting" it uses for characters is also truly disgusting.

Top Bottom