• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

THIS December man, not in three years XD! But I could see that honestly :').
Seriously, has Disney provided a semi-reasonable explanation to why they are purposely drip feeding the remaining episodes like this? It's not like they are going to lose anything, since they don't care about the show in any capacity at this time.

Psxphile

Huh. Not the direction I'd thought this thread would go after posting those teasers. Nobody wants to talk about how
Mabel's bubble is a trap that contains an idealized version of Gravity Falls/the world that Mabel has always longed for? Would she even *want* to leave!?

That is really stupid :l. Its airing two weeks away from now, so why bother with advertising for part 2 when its so far away?
But that's exactly what they've been doing for the past several episodes: teasers at the two week mark, then followed by proper 15/30 second promos at the 1 week mark. Disney XD has it down to a science. They seem to have it in their head that this is the best way to promote premieres that are weeks apart.

Seriously, has Disney provided a semi-reasonable explanation to why they are purposely drip feeding the remaining episodes like this? It's not like they are going to lose anything, since they don't care about the show in any capacity at this time.
"It's a marketing thing, you wouldn't understand" is probably the only reason the viewing public will ever be given... if given one at all. We are at the mercy of number-crunchers who have developed some kind of magic formula that will get their shows the ratings they need to charge for premium commercial ad time.

RK128

Huh. Not the direction I'd thought this thread would go after posting those teasers. Nobody wants to talk about how
Mabel's bubble is a trap that contains an idealized version of Gravity Falls/the world that Mabel has always longed for? Would she even *want* to leave!?

Sorry for not commenting on the trailers content :(. That is a good point you are bring up though, so thank you for bring it up :).

Its just hard to care when the airing times are all over the place, so the episode airs, I will be excited then :). Otherwise, will feel indifferent until the show ends. Its a shame but the episodes airing all over the place sours the impact of the finale. If this was weekly (part one late October, part two a week latter, last part this week), I would be far more excited honestly.

At least there is other shows like Adventure Time, We Bare Bears and others to keep me occupied :).

dity

Not the one. Basically radio silence from Disney.

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8IuCvHurI

We keep seeing that same image of Mabel over and over again - makes me think of this:

Z5ATTMB.jpg

Ok, then. I can totally see this happening. But in Mabels world, all of the other characters would be happy as well. So, that could mean:

-The Stan Twins reunited
-Soos with his dad
-Wendy with her mom (they have to do this angle sooner or later)
-Dipper, I'm mixed on - it'd either be him with her intelligence or him with a twelve year old Wendy/girlfriend to keep him company
-Waddles would be able to talk (again)
-And she herself would be surrounded with fantasy creatures and adoring boys all alike.
This way, no one would want to leave...

Also, cool commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjIVf06qpI

Dipper and co are finally going to rescue Princess Mabel!

Sorry if I missed your first post...

UberTag

Dipper and co are finally going to rescue Princess Mabel!
Perhaps Bill has already killed off Mabel and is simply trolling Dipper and the others for his own enjoyment.
I mean, it's not like they've given any sort of explanation as to why he'd keep her around otherwise.

PK Gaming

Sorry if I missed your first post...

Don't mind me, i'm just kinda bummed that Mabel is missing all the action.

Perhaps Bill has already killed off Mabel and is simply trolling Dipper and the others for his own enjoyment.
I mean, it's not like they've given any sort of explanation as to why he'd keep her around otherwise.

I'd think i'd like a plot twist like that on paper, but in practice... yikes.

Phyranion

Bill probably has to keep his part of the deal. Summer won't last forever if he kills her. :S

NOOOOO. DAMN YOU HIRSCH FOR CREATING A FANTASTIC SERIES AND THEN MAKING IT END THE WAY YOU WANTED TO. I WANTED TO GET ONE MORE FANTASTIC SEASON BEFORE A SLOW DESCENT INTO MEDIOCRITY.

RK128

Heck, at least the show had a great ending :').

Most shows end unfinished and nothing happens (R.I.P. Symbiotic Titian and Young Justice :'() but Gravity Falls is ending with not only a proper finale but also with a lot of heart and care.

While some elements weren't covered in a lot of detail (Ford and Stans relationship post Tale of Two Stan's, Windy and Pacifica not getting a ton of screen time, ect) the show as a whole had a strong story, pacing and a clear end goal in mind.

Looking forward to the final two parts of the finale (whenever Disney decides to air them :l....) and I hope Alex & his time find more work with Disney and others in the future :D.

Raxus

I am fine with this, I have seen too many show go without an ending, or dragged on for too long.

Not to mention shows that are supposed to last a yearish at most but stay frozen in type despite 100's of episodes and not counting nights passing inbetween.

Summer ends, so must Gravity Falls but it doesn't mean it can't go out with a bang.

I'm fine with it ending, I couldn't think of a better way to end it than with this (so far) amazing finale.

now time for all of you to jump on the Star vs the forces of evil train :)

Hamlet

Not to knock it, but it sucks if this wasn't his decision or if it was made in anger.
Uh he clearly states it was his decision to end it.
The first thing to know is that the show isn’t being cancelled- it’s being finished. This is 100% my choice, and its something I decided on a very long time ago. I always designed Gravity Falls to be a finite series about one epic summer- a series with a beginning, middle, and end. There are so many shows that go on endlessly until they lose their original spark, or mysteries that are cancelled before they ever get a chance to payoff.

But I wanted Gravity Falls to have a mystery that had a real answer, an adventure that had a real climax, and an ending that had a real conclusion for the characters I care so much about. This is very unusual in television and a pretty big experiment, and Disney for their part has been enormously supportive. I know that hits are rare in this business, and its hard to let one of them go, so I’m so grateful that this company has had the vision to let me start (and end) the show the way I always wanted to.

Why did we wait so long to announce that this was the last season? The truth is, it wasn’t up to me. Before we started Season 2, my writers and I decided that this season would be the last. I wanted to announce this to the world at large then, but I was restricted from doing so, mainly because I think a lot of people were hoping I’d change my mind.

Bluth54

It's sad that Gravity Falls is coming to an end, I just recently discovered it and I'm nearly caught up with the show. I'm glad it's ending on the creator's terms and it should have a proper ending, however it feels kinda surprising since it doesn't seem like the show has been loosing any steam at all and it's as good as it's ever been.

Psxphile

I thought it was known that he was only planning on making two seasons and maybe a movie but it seemed likely this last arc was the movie o_O

When he was first asked how far he was taking the show as it started getting rave reviews, Alex offhandedly remarked he'd like to make it a 3 season show, with one season equaling 1 month of summer, more or less. Later during the Reddit AMA he said 2 seasons and possibly a movie would be as far as he'd take the show. He reiterated that a few times up until the premiere of Season 2, most times downplaying the whole movie thing as a big maybe.

GCX

I'm glad it's ending on the creator's terms and it should have a proper ending, however it feels kinda surprising since it doesn't seem like the show has been loosing any steam at all and it's as good as it's ever been.
That's usually the best time to end a show.

I think it's great Alex hasn't changed his mind despite the success of the series and has kept following his original vision. Gravity Falls will be remembered as one of the most consistent and amazing animated shows out there because of that.

Yeah the whole idea that it was Disney pulling the plug didn't make sense to me considering how much they're still advertising it. I'm glad this is being done on his terms and it'll be a proper ending but I wish these last few episodes weren't so rushed.

Tuck

Season 2 has been exceptionally strong - a third season would have given it much more (admittedly needed) breathing room, but ending it at 2 is fine too. Sad to see it go.

I really would've liked it paced as a three season show, but with Alex at the helm, this is fine too

I'm sure if the episodes were to air like a normal show/season three seasons would have been in the bag, but dragging this out the way Disney did probably did a number on the productions teams patience.

I really would've liked it paced as a three season show, but with Alex at the helm, this is fine too
Yeah, everything after 'not what he seems' just felt like it should have been a third season. When dipper offhandedly said 'the summers about to end' one episode I was really caught off guard and said 'what?!?' Out loud lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom