• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

tumblr_ny8g82V3ZV1ujq4oao2_540.png

tumblr_ny8g82V3ZV1ujq4oao1_540.png

Fj0823

He's doing the right thing,

I don't want a gravity falls season 7 were Dipper tortures Stan by hitting his toenail with a sofa. Written by notHirsch

ZoddGutts

Prefer the show ending naturally than just dragging it out, many shows suffer that fate points to Adventure Time and Regular Show even if they have their moments here and there. Hopefully Steven Universe doesn't suffer the same fate.

Exotoro

Prefer the show ending naturally than just dragging it out, many shows suffer that fate points to Adventure Time and Regular Show even if they have their moments here and there. Hopefully Steven Universe doesn't suffer the same fate.
I feel like I'm the only one who has enjoyed every episode of adventure time with one exception (box prince)

I really hope that dipper ends up going with Ford. Maybe Mabel will force him to. That would be the most 'mature' way for this to go in my opinion. I like the direction they're going in though, id imagine defeating bill will be done by dipper and Mabel working together in some say.

What a throwaway episode. Other than Dippers hatred for Dippy Fresh, I didnt like this episode at all.

And with only 1(?) episode left, hopefully that delivers.

Do we know if the Part 3 will be a regular 30 minute episode or an hour? I dont think thats ever been confirmed or discussed.

PaulloDEC

Another kick-ass episode. This series is going down in style.

Also
Xyler and Craz
are killing me. I laugh pretty much every time they show up.

Yet again Dipper has to give up something he wants because Mabel is unhappy.

I can see why you'd say that, but does Dipper really want to stay with Ford? Ford makes a strong case and Dipper is won over pretty easily, but think of what Dipper would miss out on if he stayed.

It seems like the episode is making the point that
both Mabel's dream world and Dipper's staying with Ford are both fantasies that would mean abandoning the real world. When Dipper accepts that he can't live out his fantasy, Mabel has the strength to do the same.

Do we know if the Part 3 will be a regular 30 minute episode or an hour? I dont think thats ever been confirmed or discussed.

Confirmed to be an hour HERE.

RK128

Saw the second part of the Weirdmageden episode and I really like it :).

-Love the visuals gags and design of Mable's world; its insane in a completely different way than what happened to Gravity Falls
-It was great seeing some side-characters again; the four-armed dolphin, ducktective, and the two pop-star parodies that Mable made up are all great see again
-Liked how the episode closed with Mable and Dipper coming to an agreement; regardless if Dipper stays in Gravity Falls or not, his relationship with Mable is mended and considering both match each other so perfectly, its nice to see :).
-Love seeing them as little kids during the two flashbacks
-We are seeing Stan again :D! Been so long since we saw the guy but with him, Pacifica and many others holding fort in the Mystery Shack, I have a feeling the final part of Weridmagen is going to be huge.
-Love the joke with the multi-faced bear at the end; so random but it fit well
-Loved the references to past episodes and how the 'dreams' Dipper, Mable, Soos and Wendy are all 'gotten' but are off. The scene with Dipper and Wendy was great in that regard.

Not all that is left is hoping we get the final part airing before the year ends :D! ....Hopefully :).......We are going to wait until next year for part three to air, huh :(?

Welp, going to re-watch the entire series prior to that's episodes air date so I don't forget anything at the very least.

Edit: Apparently the final part is going to be an hour long O_O?!

No wonder Stan and others didn't appear yet; they are going to have a huge role in the final stretch of the show. Hopefully that the air it this year and that it is a fantastic closing to one of the best animated shows, or works in general, to come out of Disney :D.

Wow! I can't believe all of my predictions nearly came true - save for Wendy's mom and the talking Waddles.

Glad to see
Multi-Bear
again!

I agree with you guys, too. I wonder if Dipper will change his mind about the apprenticeship...

RK128

Wow! I can't believe all of my predictions nearly came true - save for Wendy's mom and the talking Waddles.

Glad to see
Multi-Bear
again!

I agree with you guys, too. I wonder if Dipper will change his mind about the apprenticeship...

I guess the show might roll out like this. Will spoil-tag it to be safe.

-Everyone joins up and fights Bill & his strange creatures in a massive rumble using tools from the Mystery Shack
-Dipper and Mable fight Bill head on in a grand finale; they either save Ford or Ford dies trying to save them
-Gravity Falls turns back to normal but things slightly change; characters remember facing everything from the three-part finale and they change reflecting that
-Dipper decides to go with Mable back home, saying goodbye to Stan and promise to come back to Gravity Falls in the future
-Show closes with both of them waving goodbye to the entire cast from the show

PaulloDEC

I really hope that dipper ends up going with Ford. Maybe Mabel will force him to. That would be the most 'mature' way for this to go in my opinion. I like the direction they're going in though, id imagine defeating bill will be done by dipper and Mabel working together in some say.

I really hope he doesn't, honestly. Hearing Dipper describe the reality of it in this episode changed my mind on it; that'd he'd be spending his "entire teens cooped up in basement". That's a terrible idea. Too much study and you end up like Ford. Too little and you end up like Stan.

Dipper needs to find some work/life balance, not miss out on some of the most important years of his life studying fringe-science in a the basement of a remote mountain shack.

Goodstyle

This episode would have been an absolute A++ for me if the story around it fit it more.

I love plots like this, about fantasy worlds, and the harshness of reality, and the importance of growing up. The set up with the prison and the courtroom stuff was great too... it's just what we know about the characters that holds this back.

Mabel and Dipper never really had it all that tough, the montage of their "hardships" didn't ring true for me. While I understand that they were just going for every day issues growing up, the rest of the show was never dark enough to legitimize this escapist fantasy. Especially the bit about Dipper's "Heartbreak" and "Broken Promises". What were those again? Oh right, Dipper having a crush on an older girl at some point and then wanting to take an apprenticeship with Ford (which he saw as a great opportunity).

Also, did not like how part of the solution was to just give Mabel what she wanted from the beginning. It's great that she became mature enough to be OK with Dipper leaving at the end, but Dipper should have decided to stay with Mabel after this blew over. Making it so Dipper decided to let her have her way made it all about him and not Mabel, when it really should have been mostly about Mabel. I didn't feel bad for Mabel here, I just felt like she was being kinda petty.

And before you dismiss me entirely, imagine a version of this episode where both Dipper and Mabel see a past that actually did kind of suck. A show where they actually lost things that really mattered to them, something that a kid probably wouldn't forget in a week like a bad picture day. Now imagine that shown alongside things that would have hypothetically happened in the show's continuity that was actually heartbreaking. That would have made Mabel's case for staying in a fantasy world so much more compelling. It wouldn't be "I'm a kid who refuses to mature even a little", it would have been "our lives suck, I don't want to have to face all this alone".

Argh, maybe if this was done in a show that was just a smidge darker I would have enjoyed it more, but this episode really felt like a lot of wasted potential.

PaulloDEC

Mabel and Dipper never really had it all that tough, the montage of their "hardships" didn't ring true for me. While I understand that they were just going for every day issues growing up, the rest of the show was never dark enough to legitimize this escapist fantasy. Especially the bit about Dipper's "Heartbreak" and "Broken Promises". What were those again? Oh right, Dipper having a crush on an older girl at some point and then wanting to take an apprenticeship with Ford (which he saw as a great opportunity).

But the point was never that they actually had a hard childhood; the point is that Mabel is a massive drama queen, and convincing herself that the real world is a horrible, terrible place was allowing her to justify staying in the dreamworld.

Goodstyle

But the point was never that they actually had a hard childhood; the point is that Mabel is a massive drama queen, and convincing herself that the real world is a horrible, terrible place was allowing her to justify staying in the dreamworld.

Ya, but that's not a great point. Like I said, it just made Mabel seem petty and self-centered once again. I'm pretty sure the show wanted us to feel bad for her as well, but they didn't convince me to.

Raxus

Yet again Dipper has to give up something he wants because Mabel is unhappy.

I gotta say, I find this bullshit. Ever since Ford came to the scene the rift between Stan and Ford was obviously going to run parallel for to Dipper and Mabel. We saw the flaws that isolated Ford from Stan and others and Ford's apprenticeship would have been the start of the rift between Mabel and Dipper. Both Mabel and Dipper have sacrificed for the other and Weirdmageddon further proved that the twins will always be better together than apart. They go into the finale together and I'd have it no other way.

I gotta say, I find this bullshit. Ever since Ford came to the scene the rift between Stan and Ford was obviously going to run parallel for to Dipper and Mabel. We saw the flaws that isolated Ford from Stan and others and Ford's apprenticeship would have been the start of the rift between Mabel and Dipper. Both Mabel and Dipper have sacrificed for the other and Weirdmageddon further proved that the twins will always be better together than apart. They go into the finale together and I'd have it no other way.

As much as I agree with this post - I gotta question the bolded: when the fuck has Mabel ever given up anything for Dipper's sake?

PK Gaming

This episode would have been an absolute A++ for me if the story around it fit it more.

I love plots like this, about fantasy worlds, and the harshness of reality, and the importance of growing up. The set up with the prison and the courtroom stuff was great too... it's just what we know about the characters that holds this back.

Also, did not like how part of the solution was to just give Mabel what she wanted from the beginning. It's great that she became mature enough to be OK with Dipper leaving at the end, but Dipper should have decided to stay with Mabel after this blew over. Making it so Dipper decided to let her have her way made it all about him and not Mabel, when it really should have been mostly about Mabel. I didn't feel bad for Mabel here, I just felt like she was being kinda petty.

And before you dismiss me entirely, imagine a version of this episode where both Dipper and Mabel see a past that actually did kind of suck. A show where they actually lost things that really mattered to them, something that a kid probably wouldn't forget in a week like a bad picture day. Now imagine that shown alongside things that would have hypothetically happened in the show's continuity that was actually heartbreaking. That would have made Mabel's case for staying in a fantasy world so much more compelling. It wouldn't be "I'm a kid who refuses to mature even a little", it would have been "our lives suck, I don't want to have to face all this alone".

Argh, maybe if this was done in a show that was just a smidge darker I would have enjoyed it more, but this episode really felt like a lot of wasted potential.

This is more or less how I feel. Phenomenal concept, but not something the show could fully get away with executing. It doesn't help that the events leading up to Mabel's capture were contrived in order to make Mabel's life seem worse than it actually was. It just felt... disingenuous. (though the second wave of flashbacks definitely made me smile).
And yeah, Dipper deciding to stay with Mabel after things would get resolved would have been the better choice.

Still an enjoyable episode, but it could have been better.

ScribbleD

This joke killed me.

"This place hurts my eyes"
"Oh, that's normal. Mabel Land's rainbows have colors only bees and art students can see."

As someone who is waiting for this show to actually finish up so i can binge it, i am still confused: Is it going be done for GOOD after S2 or will it continue or is not really clear yet?

Jintor

As someone who is waiting for this show to actually finish up so i can binge it, i am still confused: Is it going be done for GOOD after S2 or will it continue or is not really clear yet?

Alex seems to think it'll be done, and given he voices two characters and writes the thing, he's probably on the money

PaulloDEC

Ugh, maybe i will get started with S1 then in the meantime and hopefully that last ep. will come out sooner rather than later..

Yeah, some might describe Disney's scheduling of Gravity Falls as:

OTAb.gif

I say just go ahead and watch, then enjoy what's left of the agonising lead-up to the finale along with the rest of us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom