• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

He also
burned the books
, so in Bill's mind, Dipper has no way to stop him.
Not all of it:
tumblr_nwwfyyFNlC1sis7hho5_540.gif

Maybe that's the page w/ his "weakness".
He has a fleshly body now. Maybe his weakness is more tickles, lol.

Also, friendly reminder:
Stanley photocopied pages from Journal 3 when he had it in his possession at the beginning of Season 2. Maybe the other books too, but definitely Journal 3 since he had to eventually return it to Dipper.

Maybe it'll come into play at some point, or maybe it'll be another forgotten plot point. Who knows!?

Just watched it. Man it was cool, all sorts of awesome. Think I loved just how out there Bill is and how badass Wendy is.

Also, maybe I'm crazy and might need to watch it again but did both Ford's weapon and Gideon's car both have the number 618?

Like people have said, this definitely feels like a finale coming. I mean, it's quite a finale, but I definitely feel like it could've gone on longer. I'm holding out hope that Hirsch just wanted to wrap things up just in case and that he has plans for a third season.

Metal-Geo

What an incredible episode! Mad Max reference, more Bill, Louis CK voicing a character...

Now to wait another two weeks for part deux.

Kind of the perfect episode in terms of paying off everything that's come before (and making Wendy a badass).

But I kept switching between loving the hell out of it, and realising 'oh wait, this feels like one of the last ever episodes'. I really hope, even if this is the end, they leave some thread dangling that could potentially be picked up on in the future.

Got a feeling that this is going to be what our last few episodes are going to be (assuming the guess that we're getting 21 episodes this season is correct).

Weirdmageddon Pt. 2: Getting Mabel out of Bill's prison (which will probably be the endless summer that Mabel wanted).
Weirdmageddon Pt. 3: The final battle with Bill
Season/Series Finale: Coda dealing with summer's end and resolving the conflicts between Dipper & Mabel and Stanley & Stanford.

Well dang, I was reading the AV Club review for the latest episode and I read this in one of the comments

No official announcement. Disney has been weirdly quiet. We don't even know how many episodes are left in the season, nor when we're getting them.

But, I chatted with Matt Chapman at HeroesCon and he said that season 2 IS the final season, and that Alex Hirsch wanted it that way. I mentioned I had read an interview where Hirsch said he wanted 2 seasons and a movie and Matt said "Yeah, I really hope he gets the movie." It's possible this multiple-part episode is our movie, hard to tell.

That makes me sad

To be fair, Disney has a long legacy of artificially killing the shelf-life of a lot of their TV animated properties without realizing them to their full potential. Phineas & Ferb is like the exception to a long-standing rule.

Yeah it's certainly better than shows like Motorcity and Tron Uprising got (and let's not forget Symbionic Titan, despite it not being Disney), it's just how rushed these last few episodes feel that bugs me.

abundant

To be fair, Disney has a long legacy of artificially killing the shelf-life of a lot of their TV animated properties without realizing them to their full potential. Phineas & Ferb is like the exception to a long-standing rule.

I'm still mad at them for canceling Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes after only two seasons.

Yeah it's certainly better than shows like Motorcity and Tron Uprising got (and let's not forget Symbionic Titan), it's just how rushed these last few episodes feel that bugs me.
Symbionic Titan cancellation was Cartoon Network's doing, not Disney.

I'm still mad at them for canceling Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes after only two seasons.

Yeah that's another show that, despite having a "finale", just felt sloppy and unfinished with a bunch of loose threads, though granted that was mainly due because of the shuffle of writers and executives. At least Hirsch and other staffer hasn't teased Season 3 ideas (yet)

Edit:

I
Symbionic Titan cancellation was Cartoon Network's doing, not Disney.

Sorry for the confusion, I brought it up as a show that was similarly killed before it really had a chance to finish it's story despite it not being Disney.

Don't worry, guys, I have a good feeling that Mommy Disney will send us back to Gravity Falls next summer. Just don't expect Grunkle Alex to be at the Mystery Shack when we get there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Next episode won't be until November 23rd.
DISNEEEEEEEEY!

Don't worry, guys, I have a good feeling that Mommy Disney will send us back to Gravity Falls next summer. Just don't expect Grunkle Alex to be at the Mystery Shack when we get there.

It would also mean no Soos.
There won't be a Season 3.

If the show is super popular, they might bring it back for another season like they did with Kim Possible season 4. I remember that was supposed to end after season 3 with the So the Drama movie with Ron and Kim hooking up. And before that it might have ended during the time travel movie at the end of season 2.

PSqueak

Banned

Hey, just cause he's not writing/directing/calling the shots anymore doesn't mean Alex wouldn't come back for the voice work.

Johndoey

Banned
If this show only gets two more episodes at least it looks like they're making the most of them.
Be good as a series finale or season.

dity

Will this be another show we'll get to add to the "cancelled before the finale" list?

I wish that was sarcasm. It just feels like Disney doesn't want to air it.

Will this be another show we'll get to add to the "cancelled before the finale" list?

I wish that was sarcasm. It just feels like Disney doesn't want to air it.

I imagine that if that was the case, neither of the last two episodes would have made it to air.

Swamped

Banned
November 23rd?! Omg that's like a whole month away ;_;

Luckily I just caught up with the second half of season 2, but still...

What. The. Fuck.

A month. This is ridiculous! It's the series finale of the show, and Disney stills decides to fuck with scheduling for the show. What next? Part 3 will air on New Year's Day, and (hopefully) the one after that in February?

RK128

Next episode won't be until November 23rd.
DISNEEEEEEEEY!

O_O! Wow, that sucks :l.

Just leaving us like that with Parts 2 and 3 not coming right after each other. I wouldn't be shocked if part 3 aired in late Dec and the series/season finale aired January 2016.

Common Disney :(.

RK128

This has to be worse for the makers

I understand why Alex is fed up with Disney's shit.

I guess this explains why he is 'done' with Disney, leading to S2 feeling as 'rushed' as it is (with its second half not having the same breathing room as the rest of the series) and this final three-parter being the 'film' he wanted to make with the series.

I hope that Alex's next project is with someone who has higher respect with his work.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Maybe Justin Roiland can get Alex a nice spot at Cartoon Network? Or go all out on Adult Swim?

Not Nickelodeon, they're the fucking worst.

KiN0

Maybe Justin Roiland can get Alex a nice spot at Cartoon Network? Or go all out on Adult Swim?

I do wonder why Alex went to Disney when just about everyone else from flapjack stayed at CN.

RK128

I could easily see Cartoon Network picking up Alex's next project; they are far more open to new ideas and they let a lot of stuff slide through the sensors.

I feel that Disney isn't trying to hinder the show, but more so just doesn't know how to handle it. They have production set up for the show that really limits when and when not it can air (the animation is really high quality, so it must take time to make episodes; they are 30 minutes long, instead of the 15 that many CN Shows (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Sonic Boom, ect) last per episode), so that must handicap air dates for episodes.

I hope that the show ends this year (instead of the final episode airing new years or something) so that way it can end nicely and Alex can move on to other projects he might be interested in perusing :).

RK128

I do wonder why Alex went to Disney when just about everyone else from flapjack stayed at CN.

I'm guessing that Disney picked up the pitch before CN started looking at it and it was too late to pick the show up by the time Disney gave Alex the 'Okay' to make episodes for the show.

Otherwise, I could very easily see Gravity Falls have home on CN for all these years instead of Disney if Alex went to CN first.

Edit: Didn't know he worked on Flapjack....the humor of Gravity Falls mirrors the Simpsons more then that show, so I guess I never made that connection. Would be surprised if Flapjack people are working on Clarence or Over the Garden Wall (the latter has a lot of vibes from Flapjack).

Raxus

This has to be worse for the makers

I understand why Alex is fed up with Disney's shit.
Any links where he discusses this. Disney isn't the greatest but all things considered it seems they have treated his show very well in many aspects.

Any links where he discusses this. Disney isn't the greatest but all things considered it seems they have treated his show very well in many aspects.

Some stuff definitely annoys Alex but I don't think it's as huge as some people suspect. He said in a podcast this week that he gets annoyed with some subdivisions but gets along great with others. He get into arguments with the censors, he gets annoyed at the group in charge of scheduling the episodes, and he's disappointed that the show will probably never get full season releases on DVD or Blu-ray. However, he's happy with the way the production division has treated his show and gets along well with them.

RK128

I don't have any links but I heard in this thread the following:
-Production on Episodes is very time-consuming, leading to the frequent hiatus
-The character of Wendy isn't explore enough in latter episodes due to Disney; they rejected Wendy-focused episodes that Alex wanted to make.
-Air Dates for the show are all over the place; many get annoyed (the creators likely too)
-Plan for the series as a whole was 2-3 seasons (S1=June, S2=July/August, S3=August) and a movie; not sure if these plans got ditched or remained the same throughout

The show feeling a bit 'rushed' during the second half of S2 leads me to feel that we was supposed to get a third season but for reasons, Alex decided to take elements from S3 (and maybe even the movie) and put them in the second half of S2. To be fair, its been done very well, but the rushed pacing and lack of characters set up in the first half of S2 (Pacifica for example) is noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom