• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Welcome back Takao. I like the new AV.

Just one more day for one of my most anticipated games this year.

The wait has been brutal but worth it, just like the OT.

PerZona

Already got the game a few days ago (Singapore) and it's great. The pace for this game is just nice and I don't know why but I feel comfortable playing this game. No stress at all. The challenges are fun, and it kinda reminds me of inFamous where you have to collect the gems to upgrade your skills. And one more thing, the graphics are gooooood. Cel Shaded FTW!

spectyre

Yay... Takao is back. Great work on OT.
I Cancelled my Amazon pre-order and pre-ordered MGS collection for the $10 bonus.
Plan on getting Gravity Rush as DD. Still got my fingers crossed the extra content will be in the download version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So Kat is a genki/ happy girl? Not your typical downer/slow amnesia girls like ff6 Terra?

From what I've played, she's like your ordinary girly girl. Like she's into boys, cute stuff, happiness, etc.

Lockon

Great beautiful looking OT! Will be getting this sometimes this week! I'll be enjoying gundam seed battle destiny until then.

dc89

OT looks awesome, good work.

Probably can't afford to pick it up day one, but sure I'll get it when I get paid.

so its out on the 13th in Europe, but UK Physical game releases are usually on Fridays. Does that mean the PSN version is a couple of days early (tempting)? Will retailers like shopto be shipping early because of that?

No, they delay the digital release to Friday in the UK (Europe may well have it on Wednesday though).

I think Resistance was the last title to show up like that.

...and ShopTo usually ship quite early regardless. I've received most pre-orders the day before the UK release!

Kafel

Banned
gravity-rush-11-06-7_09030001FF00366541.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Preordered long ago. Can't believe this wasn't a launch title. Really can't believe my Vita broke down. Won't get it back from SCEA for another 7-10 days... :(

Awesome OP. Thanks for including the Gravity Days comic, I didn't even know there was one.

Since that demo was released the wait has been unbearable, I really hope I get hold of my copy on Friday as I'll have a couple of days off to play through it.

Himself

Mine shipped on Friday. Still many states away however. This game is going to rule.

I'll tentatively add it to my extremely short list of worth while motion controls (Flower, Sin&Punishment, Trauma series). Using the gyro to aim your trajectory does a great job of adding that feeling of weightlessness way better than pointing an analog stick would.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aw yeah. I've seen waiting for this one for awhile. Sony better update the store at a reasonable time or we're gonna have some problems.

ttocs

I decided to get this off the PSN instead of Amazon so I really hope the PSN is updated when I get home from work tomorrow. I've been looking forward to this game since I picked up my Vita at release.

Takao

Banned
Problem is, your OP is pretty much blank when viewed through the mobile site with images off (as many of us do). I want to know the EU release date and I need to click 15 random images to find it :(

Ah, I didn't account for that! The game's supposed release date is this Wednesday in Europe, but IIRC the UK gets new game releases on Friday. Do you think I should edit one of my older posts with a text only OT?

Will the PSN version get the free dlc?

If you purchase it within a limited time (not specified) in Europe, yes. SCEA of course never talked about it...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Aw yeah. I've seen waiting for this one for awhile. Sony better update the store at a reasonable time or we're gonna have some problems.

They've been pretty good haven't there, I know releases like Mortal Kombat were available at Midnight for release. Can't remember how Resistance went though.

Pachimari

I actually thought there were a rule for OP's to be text, as there were a whole lot of complaints in that one 'OP general thread' we once had but I guess not.

Anyway, beautiful OP (beside it not being text) and I think it might just convince me to buy the game on launch day. Have been waiting for this, but I have so many PS Vita games I haven't even tried yet. :)

Takao

Banned
iPdLqFbnAI7Ki.png

Japan Studio / Team Siren
February 9, 2012 (Japan)
June 12, 2012 (North America)
June 13, 2012 (Europe)

jzGV84p9weQ38.jpg

Welcome to Hekseville, a quaint city… until it begins to be torn apart at the seams! You are Kat, a girl who has been granted powers by a mysterious black cat to defend the city against the Gravity Storm, and the Nevi who are terrorizing the people. Through this journey it is your goal to restore Hekseville to its former state, as well as regain the memories of who you are. This is Gravity Rush.

Kat
Gravity-manipulating amnesiac

The main character.
Having lost all her memory prior to awakening on a street corner in Hekseville, her background is unknown. Since she's always seen with a black cat, the townsfolk nicknamed her "Kat." Even though she's still a stranger in a strange land, she does her best to save people.

Dusty
Gravity cat

A mysterious, cat-shaped creature. It has the power to manipulate gravity, and a starfield can be seen in its body. It was the first to meet Kat after she woke up, and has been with her ever since. Though Kat gave the name Dusty, it doesn't answer to the name when called.

Raven
Resentful black bird of death

Getting her powers from her gravity bird Kusi, Raven is another girl who can manipulate gravity. Bearing hatred for the city-state of Hekseville, she's does nothing but idly look on as the gravity storm and Nevi monsters cause destruction. She gets in the way of Kat, who wants to save the townsfolk, and shows the overwhelming difference in their abilities when making things difficult. It's rumored that she's started to emerge as a political power in the shadows of Hekseville.

Alias
The phantom of Hekseville

Alias is a criminal who's always trying to steal the "Holy Gem." Using cruel cunning to make fools of the police force and Kat, he looks as though he relishes their despair. He uses mind control over the unintelligent Nevi to manipulate them at will.

Nevi
Enemies

These mysterious creatures suddenly appeared in the city following the gravity storm. They are unintelligent and act on instinct, feeding on the gravity machines throughout town. They become agitated if carelessly approached, adding to their danger. The Nevi come in various forms, with numerous sizes and behaviors.

Aki
Doll fortune teller

Aki is a fortune teller who works at "The Dream-Seeing Mansion" on a street corner in the old town of Auldnoir. She advises Kat on where to go based on the mysterious prophecies of her possessed doll.

Syd
Police officer

Syd is a police officer who belongs to the "Seahorse" squad in Hekseville. Kat helped him to fight back against some hoodlums when he was surrounded. He's a troublemaker, always getting Kat involved in something.

Gade
Creator

Gade is the old man that Kat meets at the end of the path prophesied by Aki the fortune teller's doll. He calls himself "The god who created everything in the world," disappears suddenly, appears in the city, and is generally elusive. Gade orders Kat to restore the city consumed by the gravity storm, opening the door to another dimension.

ibgWKRHCrLeUBx.jpg

Gravity Rush is a labour of love for game director Keiichiro Toyama who previously helmed classics like Silent Hill, and Siren. The concept of Gravity Rush has been in Toyama’s brain ever since he entered the video games industry, with the art coming from the French Moebius comics he read as a young 18 year old. While Gravity Rush is out of Toyama’s horror element the game came from a similar theme of wanting to connect with human nature, in particular the instinctual understanding of falling. Years later at Sony, the director now has his chance. Unfortunately, a need for an answer to Resident Evil sparked Konami into making him a horror director with Silent Hill. It is 2008, and Project Gravité is shown off to internal heads on PlayStation 3 at Sony Japan, but the company had just begun development of their next generation handheld platform, which the team felt fit their game much better than PS3. Gravity Rush was one of the first tiles shown for the PlayStation Vita (then dubbed NGP) during the January 2011 PlayStation Meeting.

As touched upon earlier, the game’s art is based upon the works of the late French artist Moebius. Toyama was introduced the artist’s work in a magazine and was instantly amazed at its beauty, and detail. Since this early encounter Toyama hoped to one day be able to bring this vision to life and its evident in every aspect of the game, from the beautiful vistas to the striking comic book style cutscenes.
Kohei Tanaka is the game’s composer. He has worked on almost anything and everything imaginable, from the world of Dragon Ball to the Wild West of Sakura Wars. The soundtrack grows from quiet beginnings to triumphant roars, and everything in between giving the game a unique voice. Sony Music Japan released the soundtrack to the game on March 21, 2012.

The game’s name in Japan is Gravity Daze, this was changed for the western release due to fears the original title would lead consumers to believe the game was a puzzle title. The new title is meant to evoke on the excitement caused when shifting gravity and speeding towards the ground or enemies.

ibmwaBVG8evRDp.jpg

Gravity Rush sets out to utilize the PlayStation Vita’s feature set in rewarding new ways. The game’s main hook is the gravity mechanic, where using the accelerometers you are able to float and move around. With the front touch screen you can perform dodges, and using the back touch pad you can change the way the game’s storybook cut scenes are shown.

The area of the city consumed by the gravity storm has been pulled into another dimension and made into a nest for the giant Nevi. As the story unfolds, Kat's abilities increase as she restores lost areas of the city. Aside from the main story, various challenge missions can be enjoyed. As the field is freely explored and stopped facilities of the city are restored, challenge missions become playable. By using "precious gems" earned through achieving high scores in the challenge missions, Kat can level up her speed, skills, and so on. This presents a unique mini RPG-esque experience.

iYPEgfZ23xP8H.jpg

2008 Concept Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxvXt5Wg-Q
E3 2011 Trailer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pxbkais19k
Gamescom 2011 Trailer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j289y9UmzYM
Tokyo Game Show 2011 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rwyRCgLbXU
European Announcement Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZVVm3PM9U
Live Action Promo Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tFkBX1-Hr8
Features Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecp-RTtmtX8
Video interview with Toyama - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBN8LSzW-TY
15 Minute Gameplay Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sqxPAivu4
Japanese Gravity Daze TV Ad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ok0I3zcz2A
Japanese Gravity Daze TV Ad #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-BcyYzaWG0
Japanese Gravity Daze How To Play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaiHHPC7GU

jvflujPAdLAB.jpg

http://www.chopstixz.net/?p=4518

Gravity Days is a four issue web comic published by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. The short series follows the exploits of Kat in Hekksville while not fighting the Nevi. In this comic you get to see Kat’s day to day life in an art style that is the same as the game’s cutscenes.

jbdsFoowFcOIF2.jpg

http://gdcvault.com/play/1015452/Bringing-the-Visuals-of-Gravity

Art director Yoshiaki Yamaguchi hosted a panel at GDC 2012 discussing how the team was able to translate their art style to Vita. In the panel he also discussed inspirations and the game’s 2008 origins on PS3.

i8u33Ox2dNJyV.jpg

Since release in Japan three sets of DLC have been released. Each set contains a new costume for Kat, and 2 new challenges, and 2 new story missions. The military set was given to those who preordered the game at Gamestop or Amazon. In Europe participating retailers also offered the set as a preorder incentive, those who purchase the game off of PSN will also receive the DLC for free provided the game is purchased within a limited time.

ibtEpGPzOJKBWV.jpg

Games that are as exceptional as this one are so rare, than when one comes, it's impossible not to grab it really tight and press it against our chest. – Gameblog.fr 10/10
Just finished Gravity Rush. Great game, can't wait for the DLC. – NeoGAF User Keiician

A milestone for PSVITA, and one of the best portable games in the last years. It offers fresh and new ideas, and is a must-have for PSVITA owners. – Vandal Online 9.6/10
Gravity Rush isn't just the best game to grace the Vita-it's also one of the best games I've played in some time, no matter the system. In so many ways, it shines with a beauty that so many games can never achieve, and it's an experience you'll absolutely not want to miss. – EGM 9.5/10

Kat may be a superhero, but it's telling that she spends a lot of her time behaving as a tourist. Hekseville's a great place for a holiday, in other words, and Gravity Rush makes for a wonderful return ticket. – Eurogamer 9/10

Gravity Rush is a journey. An artistic, unique and intriguing journey. It's not as free or interactive as its 'open world' might have you think, but forget about that. It's an adventure through an odd and interesting land that pulls you through a twisting quest of isolation, dubious friendships and selfless heroics. – Machinima 9/10

It's easy to forgive the things that Gravity Rush gets wrong because of the absolutely basic thing it gets spectacularly, brilliantly right: movement. You might have guessed already, but I found flying around wildly to be fun in itself. – Joystiq 9/10

Kat's gravity-shifting powers are the star of the show in Gravity Rush, as the story struggles to maintain focus. Characters are constantly introduced and dismissed throughout the narrative, leaving you wondering who's important and who's disposable. Despite this, the upgrade system and gravity mechanic kept me engaged throughout the adventure. – Game Informer 8/10

Finished Gravity Rush and enjoyed it much but the story wise, nothing is explained. Even the mysterious couple's story is unfinished. Where are Kitten & the cat from? I assume the cat is also a Navi. Bah, I need a sequel immediately. – NeoGAF User Gacha-Pin

I love Kat and totally dig most of the superhero story, but the cumbersome combat in latter missions definitely had me cursing at my handheld. – IGN 7.5/10

Thread created by Cheesemeister, Diamond_4444, and Takao.

Awesome OT, Takao! I've only seen one video of the game for a few minutes, and I have never played the demos. From what I have seen, it was more than enough to get me to pre-order the game from Amazon a few weeks ago. I hope I like the game because it looks really cool and unique.

Top Bottom