• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest debut albums

Oersted

220px-..._Baby_One_More_Time_%28album%29.png

220px-Are_You_Experienced_-_US_cover-edit.jpg

220px-Elvis_Presley_LPM-1254_Album_Cover.jpg

This image will forever be linked to my uncle's wedding when I was a kid when he gave shirts with this on it to all members of the wedding party (I was a forever ring-bearer for my aunts and uncles since I was the oldest nephew/cousin in the fam). I was the coolest early elementary school kid.

I'm not sure if this counts, but Groove Theory is a really good album. I listened to it earlier this year for the first time. Amel's work outside from this album I think is just okay. It seemed to me like she needed to keep the producer from this album.

Where do EPs and mixtapes fall on this?

I want to give a shoutout to Joyce Wrice's Stay Around EP
She brought back the 90s feel of R&B.
https://open.spotify.com/user/1278063432/playlist/4sPsLCleeHKxPrpf1a431f

1429.jpg

Kali Uchis first piece Drunken Babble was a mixtape I think, but Por Vida is her first official album and if ain't damn good, I don't know what is. I was looking up Erykah Badu tour dates and then I ran into her and I'm glad I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYGh9luFuk

Kamaiyah released a damn good album last year. A Good Night in the Ghetto is that West Coast party music with a modern vibe. I've been bumping this shit so much this year and I can't wait for her second release this year, Don't Ever Get It Twisted.

That album cover is queen shit.

Tall4Life

Really happy to see all the love for Silent Alarm by Bloc Party, the instrumentation on that is fucking killer. Awesome vocals too.

Will also cosign Funeral among other things

Hopfrog

916qy5DP-OL._SY450_.jpg

I mean, you could quibble overr whether this is a true debut album as parts of it had been available earlier, but this was the majority of people's introduction to him. Incredibly influential piece of music.

iLLmAtlc

For some reason that late 80s to 90s rap era had so many debut albums become classics.

Illmatic - Nas
Enter the 36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
Ready to Die - Notorious B.I.G
Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A
Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg
The Chronic - Dr. Dre

I'm probably forgetting a lot too.

Reasonable Doubt, Jay's best album IMO.

Get Rich or Die Tryin. 50 dominated rap when this dropped.

Its Dark And Hell is Hot. X went hard the whole CD.

Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. She was great. Perfect rapper/singer combo.

Love the first King Crimson record. So ambitious for that time.
220px-In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg

From someone less known, the first and at this point only Melody's echo chamber album is incredible.
220px-Melody%27s_Echo_Chamber_-_Melody%27s_Echo_Chamber.jpg

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg

I love Boston's debut album, and many of the other albums mentioned here, but ITCOTCK is number 1. Tell me, how many other debut albums mentioned here managed to define a music genre that is still running strong today? I doubt there's any that have had such an impact on music. But that's what King Crimson did when they released this album in 1969. In The Court of the Crimson King managed to define the genre now known as prog rock that was beginning to be formed, shaping it's growth in the years to come. Without this album, bands like Pink Floyd (compare Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets to what came after), Rush, Genesis, and Supertramp probably wouldn't have been the same as they ended up being. That's how much of a splash this album made.

The album is also really good, cutting out the blues elements that had defined rock in the 50s and 60s and replacing them with elements from jazz and classical music. Every song is great, with the weakest (but still interesting) section being the improv sections of Moonchild, and with the highs being found everywhere else. From the distorted vocals and saxophone of 21st Century Schizoid Man, to the soft lament of I Talk to the Wind, to the dark and funerary Epitaph, to the light lullaby of Moonchild, and finishing it off with the title track, which busts out the Mellotron. The moment when the each verse ends and Greg Lake belts out "In the Court of the Crimson KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG" sends chills down my spine even today. It's fantastic, and will always be #1.

Kevtones

mi0000012359.jpgpartn43jwc.jpg

Feelies created some excellent Post-punk here. The first song is still one of the best openers ever.

You're on point and awesome. It still sounds fresh 37 years later. Funny to see Weezer's Blue Album getting mentioned in here beside it.

They actually released a new and good record this year btw.

Vibranium

Banned

Every single track is amazing, including songs on the demo tape that should have been on the main album (Darkness of Greed especially, which was later recorded once again for The Crow).

Settle For Nothing never got played live after the early 90s enough (and then they stopped playing Take The Power Back for some reason), too many people wanted the big hits.

megalowho

FuzzyLogic-SFA.jpg

Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic (1996)
A sustained assault of crunchy glam and catchy hooks. Raw, fun, effortless, and arguably still their most consistent and concise album.

6712124413f04a91b512cac30ea20006.jpg

Lewis Taylor - Lewis Taylor (1996)
Prog-psych bedroom soul from an enigmatic multi-instrumentalist genius. Ghost of Marvin Gaye vocals over technicolor soundscapes and shifting compositions.

zethren

Banned
Weezer - Blue Album
Also agreed on the GnR love in here.

I can't think of another first album from a band that I love as much as this one. Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary kills right out of the gate.

My dude, much respect.

Every single track is amazing, including songs on the demo tape that should have been on the main album (Darkness of Greed especially, which was later recorded once again for The Crow).

Settle For Nothing never got played live after the early 90s enough (and then they stopped playing Take The Power Back for some reason), too many people wanted the big hits.

It's great that Take The Power Back is part of the Prophets Of Rage live setlist now. Saw them a couple of weeks ago and it was the highlight of the show (for me).

Just thought of another one.

41VRTUJzwPL.jpg

The Postal Service - Give Up

Their first and only album. I could never get into Death Cab for Cutie but this album is great.

Serpico99

I got lucky seeing the them play Take The Power Back in 2008. Sounds better live.

Top Bottom