• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest debut albums

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

Whitney_Houston_-_Whitney_Houston_%28album%29.jpg

Section.80-Cover.jpg

Hell yah, y'all better but some respek on the Strokes, Bloc Party, Crystal Castles, and Interpol's names!

As far as pretty good modern stuff that I haven't seen mentioned I think Travis Scott's Rodeo is a hard asf debut though Trav is kind of a dummy.

Alvvays had a good one too.

myco666

Tragedy - Self titled
0c7781035ececebf903b9bc19602dc0ae8a41736.jpeg

Have Heart - The Things We Carry
220px-The_Things_We_Carry.jpg

Trapped Under Ice - Secrets of the World
220px-Secrets_of_the_World.jpg

Suicidal Tendencies - Self titled
220px-SuicidalTendenciesAlbum.jpg

I know frank had an mixtape out before this, but channel orange is his first major realease

Channel_ORANGE.jpg

Insearchof.jpg

NasIllmatic.jpg

Nas's achievement with illmatic is unmatched. It's one of the greatest hip hop albums ever made, arguably the best hip hop album ever made

It's got to be Appetite for me, I love kill 'em all, Iron Maiden, killing is my business etc but Appetite just nails it for me, it's an album that hasn't aged.

daTRUballin

R-690978-1335170751.jpeg.jpg

Although not as good as their second album Meteroa, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was still pretty good. It also happens to be the best selling album of the 21st century. Say what you want about the band, but they had to have done something right in order to achieve something as crazy as that.

32vdey6slwi21hfhmxfwkjae8.1000x991x1.jpg

Eminem's debut album is pretty underrated. Infinite was such a colossal sales dud that many even forget it exists and mistakenly think the Slim Shady LP was his first album. While SSLP was Eminem's first commercially successful album and the first to be released under a major label, Infinite was technically his debut. Even if not a particularly successful one.

Are we allowed to post foreign or non-English speaking artists? I'm sure not many here are going to know this one, but I also wanted to throw in Russian/Georgian singer Valery Meladze's debut album Sera.

220px-%D0%92%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%9C%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B7%D0%B5_-_%D0%A1%D1%8D%D1%80%D0%B0_%281995%29.jpg

As a Russian speaking individual, I am a big fan of Valery Meladze and he's probably my favorite singer at the moment, if I'm being honest. His debut album was especially pretty great and was pretty popular in Russia when it came out. Maybe someone from RussiaGAF knows about him? :p

gamz

Beastie Boys License to ill

I still listen to it and still holds up.

Can't really go wrong with Boston and GnR. Those albums were beasts and they could never top them.

1994, I was 13 and listened to rap and whatever pop music was on the radio. This spoke to me and while I don't like them as much as I use to, they hold a special place in my heart.

Korn-Korn.jpg

Wamb0wneD

Does really nobody of you know this one?

Dizee_Rascal_Album_Boy_in_da_Corner.jpg

Like, it actually defined an entire genre. Not too many UK rap people on GAF it seems :/

Fuck yes. They sound so raw but incredible, especially in particularly crazy sections

you know what i'm going to listen to silent alarm right now again

Same lol.

Also omg, didn't even see it once in here, whats wrong with GAF?

81H7i4F4ZUL._SX355_.jpg

Edit nvm, didn't see it lol.

How nobody has said "Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not" by Arctic Monkeys yet is a crime.

Also, shout out to those repping Weezer, GnR, Emporer, Korn and Eminem. Dizzee Raacal's debut was also fire. Laughing at whoever said Reign in Blood...sorry man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Maaaan seeing bloc party and then thinking about the rest of their discography ...... :(

The killers - hot fuss

A similar story there

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
ILLMATIC

NasIllmatic.jpg

When your debut album is widely considered the greatest rap album of all time, I think that qualifies.

Nas's achievement with illmatic is unmatched. It's one of the greatest hip hop albums ever made, arguably the best hip hop album ever made

Always listen to a guy with a villa avatar, Nice Job!

Top Bottom