• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day chants "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA" at the American Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong tweaked the lyrics, chanting: "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA."
Green Day hit the American Music Award stage on Sunday night.

Yet again, the trio rocked the stage and brought their distinct punk rock sound and attitudes to the cheering audience. The band clearly voiced their opinion of the election results, with lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong singing and repeating, "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA."

That was a nod to Trump's endorsement by the KKK and the rise in racist attacks and graffiti since the Republican's victory (not to mention the appointment of Steve Bannon, a man with a history of pandering to white supremacists, to his White House cabinet).​

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/american-music-awards-green-day-performs-bang-bang-947153

video on the link

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Good guy Green Day. I hope I run into Tré in Berkeley one of these days.

Serious question, what happened to Green Day? As far as I remember, they were in the Simpsons Movie and then... however many years later, here we are.

Music next year going to have a revolution/resistance type vibe. People going to need it to keep them focused on the fight.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Serious question, what happened to Green Day? As far as I remember, they were in the Simpsons Movie and then... however many years later, here we are.
Released some mediocre albums and then now released one ok to good record. Nothing really happened. They continue to persist and provide a good entry point for kids to get into rock music.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If there is anyone to do that, it would be Green Day. Who are, by the way, highly overrated and have been failing for years. Chumps!

Released some mediocre albums and then now released one ok to good record. Nothing really happened. They continue to persist and provide a good entry point for kids to get into rock music.
Right on. Last "new" song I remember hearing on the radio from them was 21 Guns, it just seemed like they fell off the planet. Good to know they still play and produce.

Made a hit Broadway musical of American Idiot and brokered a deal with HBO in making a movie version.
Oh shit- that's actually awesome!

Hydrus

13 year old's grew up, realized they were a couple of 40 something year olds wearing eyeliner and trying hard to be edgy, so they stopped listening to them. Also put out bad records. 90's Greenday is where its at.

LionPride

Banned
Music to have a lot of revolution themes for the next four years
Movies and Video games will have not only more escapism such as comic book movies, but also more portrayals of revolution and more movies and video games depicting strong messages

I wanted to make a thread about Protest Music and how there just isn't much if any of it anymore. Even during the W administration there wasn't much and it gotten worst with everything being indie for the sake of being indie and electronic, pop garbage. No message worth listening too. I hope I'm completely wrong.

Wrong way to protest, will only push those in the middle towards Trump. Should have written him a letter or something. I came to be entertained; not to have politics shoved down my throat!

Good on them for doing this, I honestly hope we just see protests and anti-Trump statements at every entertainment venue

Slime

Banned
Concert venues should be a safe place free of political statements. The very very overrated sell-out band Green Day who haven't made a good album since 1995 should be ashamed!

Zero315

Banned
Oh shit- that's actually awesome!
I saw American Idiot when the tour came here a year or two ago. It's actually a pretty damn good musical.

I'm not surprised at this. They were very outspoken against Bush. Hopefully this means we get another American Idiot caliber album.

I wanted to make a thread about Protest Music and how there just isn't much if any of it anymore. Even during the W administration there wasn't much and it gotten worst with everything being indie for the sake of being indie and electronic, pop garbage. No message worth listening too. I hope I'm completely wrong.

LOL There's been plenty of protest music by artists at all times. Just because you don't keep up with it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

sphagnum

Banned

Pop music got soft in the Obama years because everyone liked him. There was still some stuff in the Bush years but it definitely is time for a revival.

I like their new 2016 album, even though it's not as good as their 90s stuff.

What shocked me is the song "Troubled Times". Pre-11/9, I thought the song was overly pessimistic. Come our post-11/9 world, the song all of a sudden rings very true.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

You might like Stray From the Path

Also a good tune.

13 year old's grew up, realized they were a couple of 40 something year olds wearing eyeliner and trying hard to be edgy, so they stopped listening to them. Also put out bad records. 90's Greenday is where its at.

Yessir. Dookie was my shit back in the day but I can't hear anything from the American Idiot era without cringing.

Zero315

Banned

What? There were a ton of protest songs during the Bush years. The whole Dixie Chicks saga, Dear Mr. President by Pink, plus all these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom