• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTR - the most realistic racing sim ever!

YES.

I was surprised that no one had bothered mentioning this game on the forum for the past several months. It really does feel very real.

There was a press demo release a few months ago. And I agree, it is the most realistic racer ever. I couldn't even finish one lap without going into the sand.

Ranger X

And what are the specs of the death we need to run that?
(most probably 10 times my PC i suppose, i rush running RCT3 demo... )

Gek54

I have a AMD XP 1800, Gforce3Ti200 and 256MB 2700 DDR and it runs with slight hicups at 640X480 16bit.

royale

Not sure about the specs, but I'm running it on a Athlon xp 2500 mobile, 512 MB ram, and 9800 pro. At 1600 x 1200 with 2x AA and v-sync on, I get a steady 60 fps.

I don't think the minimum requirements are that high unless you want to race a full grid. If you experience a lot of choppiness, just reduce the number of AI drivers and turn down the graphics. I think the game actually runs on a modified F1 Challenge engine; that game ran fine with a ti4200.

Another thing you can do to get extra fps is to change the view to bumper cam. Use 'home' row keys to change views. I know the cockpit view is cool and all, but it really makes driving a lot more difficult. The one thing I like that I haven't seen in any other racer is the real-time adjustable viewpoint when u are in the cockpit. You can use the mouse to move the view forward or back, left/right to your liking.

One more camera trick (not really related to driving, but neat feature nonetheless) is to switch to tv camera and control the camera with the mouse.

If you are a fan of any type of sim racing, then you need to try it. If you are having difficulty with keeping the car on the road, there are several aids that you can turn on to assist with your driving.

royale

Here is the readme file with detailed system requirements and general tips:

GTR - Demo
v1.0.0.0 (19th September 2004)

GTR Demo Includes:
==============

Single player Arcade and Semi-Professional modes
Single Race Weekend option
Race length - 15%
Up to 19 AI opponents
1 GT car - Lister Storm
1 N-GT car - Morgan Aero 8
1 circuit - Spa

Installing GTR Demo
==============

You need to have administrator privileges to install GTR Demo on Microsoft Windows 2000/XP Professional/XP Home Edition. Login using an administrator account for the installation.

Copy protection
===============

GTR utilises StarForce copy protection technology. You may be asked to restart your PC to finalize StarForce drivers installation on your first run of the demo.

If you are concerned about Star Force protection drivers remaining on your system after you uninstall GTR Demo, you may wish to use SFCLEAN.EXE in Support folder in the game root. Note, if you do run the uninstall utility for the drivers, when you launch the protected game again, the drivers will be reinstalled. For more information regarding StarForce protection please visit StarForce Technologies International website (http://www.star-force.com)

MoTeC interpreter
=================

This interpreter is the professional data analysis software made by MoTec and used by real FIA GT racing teams. GTR Demo outputs data in the same way as the real cars do.

If you currently have MoTeC Interpreter software installed and operational on your system, GTR Demo will update its current Logged Data and supporting files locations in the Windows registry. This means that GTR Demo will log its .ld files under its folder structure. It is recommended that you uninstall MoTeC Interpreter before installing GTR Demo, or if you would like to use it for other purposes other than GTR Demo, you may need to reinstall the standalone version of MoTeC Interpreter (available for download from http://software.motec.com.au/release/) after installing or uninstalling GTR Demo.

MoTeC Interpreter software is NOT produced by SimBin Develpment Team. It is developed by MoTeC and its usage in GTR Demo is not supported by MoTec. Refer to community websites for comprehensive advice and guidance on usage.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
===================

MINIMUM SPECIFICATION
---------------------
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP Pro/Home
Processor 1.2 GHZ Intel Pentium III or 100% Compatible
Memory 384 MB
Hard Drive 300 MB free space
CD/DVD Drive 4x
3D Accelerator DirectX 8.1 compliant 32 MB AGP with DXT texture compression support
Sound Card DirectX 8.1 compliant PCI
Game Controllers DirectX 8.1 compliant

RECOMMENDED SPECIFICATION
-------------------------
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Pro/Home
Processor 2 GHZ or better Intel Pentium III or 100% Compatible
Memory 512 MB or better
Hard Drive 300 MB free space.
CD/DVD Drive 12x or better
3D Accelerator DirectX 8.1 compliant 64 MB AGP with DXT texture compression support, or better
Sound Card DirectX 8.1 compliant PCI
Game Controllers DirectX 8.1 compliant

GTR may be incompatible with McAfee Guardian Firewall on some systems. ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm is a recommended alternative (http://www.zonelabs.com).

You may experience difficulties running GTR Demo if you have outdated VIA drivers installed. Please update to latest VIA drivers.

If you’re having trouble running GTR after swapping monitors, try running 3dconfig.exe and then restarting the game.

TROUBLESHOOTING
===============

If you are having problems running the game, you may want to try updating your graphics card, sound card and motherboard drivers from one of the following web sites before contacting technical support:

ATI Technologies
http://www.ati.com/

Creative Labs
http://www.creative.com/

Matrox
http://www.matrox.com/

NVIDIA
http://www.nvidia.com/

VIA
http://www.viaarena.com/

DirectX 8 or later is required to run the game (if you don't have this installed, you will see the error message "The dynamic link library DINPUT.DLL could not be found in the specified path"). It is recommended that you update to the latest version (DirectX 9c at the time of writing, available from http://www.microsoft.com/).

MEMORY USAGE
============

Systems with a low amount of system RAM may experience difficulties running the game at higher detail settings and, especially, running large fields of cars. If you have problems, try reducing the number of opponent cars, and lowering the detail options in the graphics menu. Also please ensure you close any other applications before starting GTR.

ADVICE
======

Tyre Warming
------------
Please note that the tyres can take ONE-TWO FULL LAPs to get up to operating temperature. The car will have much less grip until the tyres are warmed up and much less braking power until the brakes are warmed up.

Live temperatures are provided for tyres and brakes in the Cockpit Motec display - press LCD Mode key to cycle through these. Don’t judge any setup changes until you’ve done at least 3 or 4 laps.

If you have problems controlling the car or are not using a steering wheel, use keys F1 - F8 to turn on driving assists. These are displayed by a red light in the Arcade Motec display - Key Number '2'.

All your race are belong to us!
SimBin
http://www.simbin.com

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I wish the full simulation option was playable...ow well :)

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Anthropic said:
I refuse to install anything with StarForce.

Eek, I didn't notice that! I wondered why I needed to reboot my PC. Anyway...

The car physics seemed to have been dumbed down slightly since the original demo, now it seems much harder to spin the car, even with all the aids turned off. Maybe it was because Simulation wasn't selectable from the menu?

The AI cars didn't seem to sit it their environment very well. They did not share the same world-physics as my car. They also had no shadows, no self-shadowing, no environment mapping (that I could see) and they all seemed very plasticy.

Anyway, who gives a sh*t? The last 20mins of gameplay has been superb, I had some excellent races with the aggressive AI and the engine sound will be buzzing in my head for the next few hours. Back to the game for now...

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Well it seems pretty realistic but i think this game could end up being the most realistic ever created and it's being made by 3 guys it's awesome. Live For Speed

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Scawan & Co are doing a awesome job with LFS - especially given their development/publishing model.

Can't wait for S2 (Although I'm currently only an S1 licensed LFS'er at the mo)

If only the new GTR demo had full sim mode, I'd love to see how that physics model has come on since the leaked press demo . Still the semi-pro isn't too bad/arcadey and having a taste of the AI is cool.

belgurdo

Banned
I'm waiting for the racing game that comes packed with a Steel Battalion-like controller (basically a dashboard with wires coming out of it; and mirrors on the sides that are mini-screens that display stuff behind you)

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
marvelharvey said:
Eek, I didn't notice that! I wondered why I needed to reboot my PC. Anyway...

The car physics seemed to have been dumbed down slightly since the original demo, now it seems much harder to spin the car, even with all the aids turned off. Maybe it was because Simulation wasn't selectable from the menu?

The AI cars didn't seem to sit it their environment very well. They did not share the same world-physics as my car. They also had no shadows, no self-shadowing, no environment mapping (that I could see) and they all seemed very plasticy.

Anyway, who gives a sh*t? The last 20mins of gameplay has been superb, I had some excellent races with the aggressive AI and the engine sound will be buzzing in my head for the next few hours. Back to the game for now...

You will not that full simulation mode is not available yet...

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Gek54

I cant get more than 180 degrees of steering and the defaut speed sensitive steering needs some tweaking. The Forcefeedback is also kind of odd. Is Richard Burns Rally the only PC game that fully supports the Driving Force Pro?

So not as good as GT4 and TOCA2 over here...yet

Top Bottom