• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Blizzard

Banned
Are there any potentially difficult-to-find chests in Sierra Morena? I'm stuck at 87% there and have gone through the entire thing probably 3 times by now, checking every spot I can find that's not visible on the map.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you have the orb from there?
Can you spoiler-reply which one it is? I don't have the game in front of me, but I seem to recall (orb and location spoilers):

Is that the area that opened the path to hell? If so, I got it. I'm at 4/6 total orbs and need to find the other two. I have a nasty suspicion that I have to get gold on all of the hell trials to get 100% and all the orbs and achievements.

Number45

Sierra Morena is the area on your way to the final boss fight. You need Goat Fly to get to the orb, which is the most challenging platforming area in the game by far for me. You also need to complete the combat rooms for an orb.

Blizzard

Banned
Sierra Morena is the area on your way to the final boss fight. You need Goat Fly to get to the orb, which is the most challenging platforming area in the game by far for me. You also need to complete the combat rooms for an orb.
Hmm, thanks.

I've been using Goat Fly on every possible blacked-out part of every level, though I have no idea which part of Sierra Morena this might be in. I have 4/6 orbs but haven't finished the hell challenge rooms -- is that what you mean by the combat rooms? I finished the Caverno del Pollo rooms or whatever and got that orb. And I finished the game once on normal and I think that got me an orb. Are there any completion things or orbs that require a hard mode playthrough? I'm guessing not, though there might be some achievements for hard mode.

AEREC

Would be awesome if someone made a King (from Tekken) skin for this game. How's this selling on Steam...I thought there would be more skins int he workshop by now.

Blizzard

Banned
Would be awesome if someone made a King (from Tekken) skin for this game. How's this selling on Steam...I thought there would be more skins int he workshop by now.
If I understand correctly it involves some editing that is not very easy, so it's not like other games where people can quickly make costumes.

Number45

Hmm, thanks.

I've been using Goat Fly on every possible blacked-out part of every level, though I have no idea which part of Sierra Morena this might be in. I have 4/6 orbs but haven't finished the hell challenge rooms -- is that what you mean by the combat rooms? I finished the Caverno del Pollo rooms or whatever and got that orb. And I finished the game once on normal and I think that got me an orb. Are there any completion things or orbs that require a hard mode playthrough? I'm guessing not, though there might be some achievements for hard mode.
Now I'm confused as to what you mean by those challenge rooms, yes the ones I'm on about are the ones in the caverns. Did you pick up the DLC?

Orbs don't carry across difficulties either from what I remember. On holiday without my Vita, so this is all from memory.

Blizzard

Banned
Now I'm confused as to what you mean by those challenge rooms, yes the ones I'm on about are the ones in the caverns. Did you pick up the DLC?

Orbs don't carry across difficulties either from what I remember. On holiday without my Vita, so this is all from memory.
I'm on Steam so I think it includes the DLC.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed it, but I must not have done the following:
Goat fly after killing some cacti at the start of Sierra Morena. I think I ran across that area of the map and thought it looked weird before. Now I'm at the Cuerva Locura with vanishing platforms, which I think I have indeed heard is very difficult. I did all of Tule Tree in like, less than an hour I think? So maybe I can manage this too. </famous last words>

*edit*

Done. 20 minutes with keyboard controls. That wasn't too bad except for the part with the really thin platforms. I started doing this which made it easier:
Pick one of the two platform patterns and completely ignore the others. You can double jump in place and remain on the same platform theoretically forever if your timing is correct. So you can do a couple of double jumps to get your bearing, then double jump uppercut to land where your current pattern is going to resume. Then double jump uppercut to land on the next platform in your current pattern, continuing to skip the alternate pattern since that one just gets confusing. It's not a speed run strategy but I just wanted to beat it. :p

Sierra Morena 100%, thanks for the tip! Now I just have one orb, the
Great Temple
, and
El Infierno
to 100%.

Now I also understand the spoilery thing from the Steam discussions I asked about before:
super fast chicken flight

Great Temple question:
Is there an orb there I might be missing? I went through the whole thing again and I'm still at 90%. I don't see any areas that flying might get me too either.

vladdamad

I bought this game a couple of days ago and man, I was really not expecting it to be this brilliant. I'm seriously thinking this may be my GOTY, which is a hell of a thing considering the other contenders for me have been Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

The game actually feels like a proper video game, as opposed to the cinematic-style stuff we've been getting recently in AAA titles. Maybe I just need to play more indie games, but this actually feels like a game Nintendo would have made. It's funny, it's colourful, and controls insanely well. The combat is unbelievably fun, and the platforming... Best platforming since Super Meat Boy. The
Tule Tree and Treetops
sections were spectacular with the amount of moves you had to chain to pass. Also, boss fights have been great so far - my personal favourite is
the jaguar guy
as you really need to put all the skills you have learned to the test.

A minor gripe is the metroidvania aspect, which isn't that fleshed out, but once you go for collectibles, the complaint soon goes away. The references are really funny, the
Journey
one being the best by far. I'm at what I assume is the point of no return (
The Great Temple is the next area, haven't gone in yet
) so I'm running around collecting chests, only a couple more areas to go.

In short, spectacular game, everyone needs to play it. Will absolutely buy the DLC once I'm done.

Blizzard

Banned
I bought this game a couple of days ago and man, I was really not expecting it to be this brilliant. I'm seriously thinking this may be my GOTY, which is a hell of a thing considering the other contenders for me have been Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

The game actually feels like a proper video game, as opposed to the cinematic-style stuff we've been getting recently in AAA titles. Maybe I just need to play more indie games, but this actually feels like a game Nintendo would have made. It's funny, it's colourful, and controls insanely well. The combat is unbelievably fun, and the platforming... Best platforming since Super Meat Boy. The
Tule Tree and Treetops
sections were spectacular with the amount of moves you had to chain to pass. Also, boss fights have been great so far - my personal favourite is
the jaguar guy
as you really need to put all the skills you have learned to the test.

A minor gripe is the metroidvania aspect, which isn't that fleshed out, but once you go for collectibles, the complaint soon goes away. The references are really funny, the
Journey
one being the best by far. I'm at what I assume is the point of no return (
The Great Temple is the next area, haven't gone in yet
) so I'm running around collecting chests, only a couple more areas to go.

In short, spectacular game, everyone needs to play it. Will absolutely buy the DLC once I'm done.
That's not necessarily the point of no return:

You can still leave at the very end of the great temple. Also, if you finish the game before getting 100%, I think you get a different ending, and then you can run around the levels and collect the other stuff you missed to get 100% before doing the end boss again.

vladdamad

That's not necessarily the point of no return:

You can still leave at the very end of the great temple. Also, if you finish the game before getting 100%, I think you get a different ending, and then you can run around the levels and collect the other stuff you missed to get 100% before doing the end boss again.

Ah ok, thanks! May progress within the next area then. Is there a statue head before the final boss?

Blizzard

Banned
Ah ok, thanks! May progress within the next area then. Is there a statue head before the final boss?
Yes there is, and if I recall correctly you'll know you're there because the map has an icon marking the final boss location. And if you care about seeing both endings and don't want to watch on youtube or something, I think they depend on
whether you have collected all the orbs

Since my earlier post was disjointed, here is my main remaining question about orbs:
Is there an orb in the Great Temple? I'm at 90% there and 5/6 orbs, but I haven't found anywhere that might be hiding an orb entrance.

vladdamad

Yes there is, and if I recall correctly you'll know you're there because the map has an icon marking the final boss location. And if you care about seeing both endings and don't want to watch on youtube or something, I think they depend on
whether you have collected all the orbs

Since my earlier post was disjointed, here is my main remaining question about orbs:
Is there an orb in the Great Temple? I'm at 90% there and 5/6 orbs, but I haven't found anywhere that might be hiding an orb entrance.

Awesome, thanks. I'm probably gonna play again on hard anyway, so I'll get to see the second ending then. As for your question,
I'm pretty sure you get the sixth orb after you beat the final boss? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Blizzard

Banned
Awesome, thanks. I'm probably gonna play again on hard anyway, so I'll get to see the second ending then. As for your question,
I'm pretty sure you get the sixth orb after you beat the final boss? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.
About spoiler:

I thought I did get an orb from them, but I already beat the final boss once on this difficulty and I figured that it would persist so you could show 100% map completion. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Weirdly, I'm missing the achievement for collecting every chest in the game, so maybe I'm also missing a chest or two in that area.

vladdamad

About spoiler:

I thought I did get an orb from them, but I already beat the final boss once on this difficulty and I figured that it would persist so you could show 100% map completion. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Weirdly, I'm missing the achievement for collecting every chest in the game, so maybe I'm also missing a chest or two in that area.

I just finished the game and had the same issue as you, apparently there's a glitch where some chests respawn. The one I was missing was located in
Tule Tree
. Although if you have 90% completion in the last area, that might not be it - the last chest that I couldn't find in the
Great Temple
was where
there is a portal behind a wall that you can't get to, and you have to turn into a chicken to drop down a tiny hole in order to reach it.
Maybe that's the one you're missing? Took me ages to find.

Blizzard

Banned
I just finished the game and had the same issue as you, apparently there's a glitch where some chests respawn. The one I was missing was located in
Tule Tree
. Although if you have 90% completion in the last area, that might not be it - the last chest that I couldn't find in the
Great Temple
was where
there is a portal behind a wall that you can't get to, and you have to turn into a chicken to drop down a tiny hole in order to reach it.
Maybe that's the one you're missing? Took me ages to find.
Yeah, the one in your final spoiler is the one I was missing. There actually is a hint on the map but I didn't catch it. Someone linked me to an image of all of the map areas laid out for that area, and even without treasure chests marked, it was enough for me to compare my map and fine it for the 100% completion.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My god this game is fantastic! Played for six hours or so yesterday, think I am in the final levels
I am about to take on Calaca after getting the Rocketman achievement

So, a quick question, are they making fun of FEZ with this?

SPOILER INCOMING

SPOILER, PLEASE DON'T CLICK OR READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FOUND ALL SECRETS/EASTER EGGS:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/864982006159219310/1B3CD5A0D399FD8D0B08CEF3401D67DB07E7E790/

When you scan it you get a message: "Congratulations, you successfully managed to scan a QR-code" lmao

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
9B650D67F8416252F9178EB0084748CB0FF9F345

A great game! Think it'll be on my goty list this year

Blizzard

Banned
I still need to finish the game on hard difficulty, and try to 100% all the trials and get achievements and stuff.

I got 100% of the map secrets, but it's super rare that I would ever 100% a game with challenges and stuff. :p

Blizzard

Banned
So I'm playing along in this game. Well on my way to GOTY....

JAGUAR JAVIER
tumblr_inline_muoguipF051rqvaxo.gif

Done. Erasing it from my HDD.
I seem to recall him being a fun boss fight, where I felt like it was a legitimate challenge of combos/timing/moves.

If you want to try it again, I or someone else would be happy to load the game back up and give you some tips on that particular fight. :) Though on the other hand, if you didn't like the difficulty of that fight, maybe it's best you stopped playing at that point, no offense! Might not be your style of game.

I'm sorry it was frustrating -- the game is probably my favorite from this year, tied only with Gunslinger, and I even used the keyboard through the end of Guacamelee.

I still need to go back and finish the end challenges. I'm not sure I'll ever get them all but I kind of want to get all the achievements.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

JAGUAR JAVIER

Why? Did you find him that hard?
you aint seen nothing yet ;)

Just get your jump timing right, and you'll be fine! :)

televator

I seem to recall him being a fun boss fight, where I felt like it was a legitimate challenge of combos/timing/moves.

If you want to try it again, I or someone else would be happy to load the game back up and give you some tips on that particular fight. :) Though on the other hand, if you didn't like the difficulty of that fight, maybe it's best you stopped playing at that point, no offense! Might not be your style of game.

I'm sorry it was frustrating -- the game is probably my favorite from this year, tied only with Gunslinger, and I even used the keyboard through the end of Guacamelee.

I still need to go back and finish the end challenges. I'm not sure I'll ever get them all but I kind of want to get all the achievements.

It's a huge brick wall in my face. Okay some of the previous boss fights ranged from "not so tough" to "pitifully easy", but all in all I was totally buying what the game was selling. I love Metroid game play. I'll take a Metroid style game over any traditional platformer any time. This game does mix it up a bit in the meele based combat, but I was able to get the swing of some decent combo strings and hold my own against rooms full of enemies, but Jaguar Javier completely blind sided me. Plus, yeah I'd rather not put myself through all the rage. I don't like being brought to the point of wanting break my controller in two by my games. It's an ugliness I can do without. So I have stopped playing it and I don't plan to pick it up again.

Shame really. Everything else prior to that was amazing.

crispyben

It's a huge brick wall in my face. Okay some of the previous boss fights ranged from "not so tough" to "pitifully easy", but all in all I was totally buying what the game was selling. I love Metroid game play. I'll take a Metroid style game over any traditional platformer any time. This game does mix it up a bit in the meele based combat, but I was able to get the swing of some decent combo strings and hold my own against rooms full of enemies, but Jaguar Javier completely blind sided me. Plus, yeah I'd rather not put myself through all the rage. I don't like being brought to the point of wanting break my controller in two by my games. It's an ugliness I can do without. So I have stopped playing it and I don't plan to pick it up again.

Shame really. Everything else prior to that was amazing.
I am really not good at fighting or brawling games, I don't have a natural sense of timing or anything, and I raged at this unfair fight too. Then I focused on reading his moves and how they're telegraphed, before I attempted to counter them. I eventually beat him with a sliver of health, wondering what hard mode would be like against him... Now I really want to know! I really hope you get back to the game and kick his ass, because you're not done yet with all the fun it can give you.

Exuro

I cannot for the life of me beat flame face on hard. Too many minions towards the end that its hard to dodge everything. I just have the "beat the game on hard" achievement to do and everything was peachy until this. :(

EDIT: Beat Flameface! Switching my costume made it a lot easier. Now I'm stuck on the jaguar dude and realized how cheap of a boss he is. I've seriously knocked him down to 1/10th of his health each time but cannot do anything else since he can just use invincibility attacks to get his shield back up.

Megatron

Beat the game on normal today. LOVED it! The last boss was really difficult though. Took me a long time. I watched a utube video and got some tips and was able to beat him with a sliver of health remaining. Terrific game. A little intimidated about going for the orbs though. I only have the first so far.

Blizzard

Banned
Beat the game on normal today. LOVED it! The last boss was really difficult though. Took me a long time. I watched a utube video and got some tips and was able to beat him with a sliver of health remaining. Terrific game. A little intimidated about going for the orbs though. I only have the first so far.
I got all the orbs and I do NOT consider myself the sort of person to normally do retry-over-and-over platformer games. I've never managed to finish Veni Vidi Vici in VVVVVV for example, and I never wish to play Super Meat Boy.

All that said, I think each orb in Gaucamelee took me no more than 30-60 minutes, and it's pretty cool to be able to get them.

Yanksfan

I didn't even know there were orbs to get in this game. How the hell did I miss this? I am heading to the last area and must not have collected a single one.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I got all the orbs and I do NOT consider myself the sort of person to normally do retry-over-and-over platformer games. I've never managed to finish Veni Vidi Vici in VVVVVV for example, and I never wish to play Super Meat Boy.

All that said, I think each orb in Gaucamelee took me no more than 30-60 minutes, and it's pretty cool to be able to get them.

:(

Number45

I didn't even know there were orbs to get in this game. How the hell did I miss this? I am heading to the last area and must not have collected a single one.
Easy enough to do. You're only introduced to them (if you didn't find one by another means) at the end.

Deimo5

I cannot for the life of me beat flame face on hard. Too many minions towards the end that its hard to dodge everything. I just have the "beat the game on hard" achievement to do and everything was peachy until this. :(

EDIT: Beat Flameface! Switching my costume made it a lot easier. Now I'm stuck on the jaguar dude and realized how cheap of a boss he is. I've seriously knocked him down to 1/10th of his health each time but cannot do anything else since he can just use invincibility attacks to get his shield back up.

So is the Jaguar more difficult than Flame Face? It must have taken me me like 50 attempts to beat FF, although I did skip straight to hard mode.

ed: ok JJ's regenerating white shield is a bit annoying but the fight felt nowhere near as cheap as Flame Face to me, probably due to it being one on one (or should I say mano e mano). Was able to defeat him only getting hit once in the end.

LakeEarth

Bought it, really close to beating it. Gonna wait til I go through hard mode before 100% it. Might finally platinum something!

Platforming isn't so hard, but Outland probably trained me to platform while switching phases. I can see why people who haven't played. The tiger boss was actually a little tricky, if he had the red shield, breaking it puts you in the air so you can't maneuver quickly so you end up into trouble.

Wonko_C

Guacamelee! is currently one of Steam's Community Choices, vote!
If it wins, it's going to have a 75% discount, it's the first time Guacamelee! goes for more than 50%

Randam

own the ps3 versions since it came out.

bought the gold edition for PC from humble bumble store a few days ago.

damn this game ist AWESOME!!

hope the Super Turbo Champion Edition will come as DLC to PC too.
and the have to implement online COOP!!

btw.: it is cool to watch some of the old trailers and videos from drinkbox' youtube channal: http://www.youtube.com/user/DrinkboxStudios/videos

different visuals, different charakter and level design, different names for the attacks, different gameplay(blocking and carrying enemys around)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I beat the game, then 100%'d everything (well 101%), beat the final boss again, and my time is not showing up on the speedrun leaderboard on PS3. Ideas?

vanty

This game is so fucking good goddam. Bought it on Steam sales a few days ago and it's not my GOTY as W101 exists (and 3D World and Zelda) but it is definitely my favourite indie game I've ever played.

I got the Tule Tree orb without even knowing orbs existed, or that the part with the spinning blades was supposed to be insanely hard (I did it first attempt, though I spent quite a bit of time climbing before then), or that the jaguar boss is supposed to be hard. I have more trouble when there are multiple red skeletons and flying monsters shooting projectiles around the screen than that boss fight. I combo'd the fuck out of him and his attacks all have clear indicators before they are activated so it was nothing at all.

Around 5 hours in now, just collecting stuff before I go into the temple.

KLonso

JAGUAR JAVIER

I haven't played Guacamelee since I got the platinum trophy a while ago, but if I remember correctly, an easy way to beat Javier, even on hard is just headbutt him, chase him down with your dashing derp derp, and headbutt him again. If you just repeat this, making sure that you dodge whenever you have to (jumping out of the way instead when you see a fire attack) you should be able to beat Javier with ease.

Deimo5

It does help that even though he is 'colour protected' you can still use any attack to stun him or pop him up in the air and then do what you want. After that he is fairly predictable, except when he starts rolling around like mad. I just rolled the same and hoped for the best then.

LakeEarth

Beat it, loved it, gonna start playing hard mode right after the holidays. Hoping to platinum it, as I have yet to platinum a game and I'm all about doing it for this game.

Blizzard

Banned
I do wonder if Javier was easier for people who got good at doing long combos, like with the combo chicken challenges. I seem to remember him as was a pretty fair fight that really made you put your skills together and use them well to beat him.

televator

GAF, I appreciate the encouragement, but seriously I've gone home to be a family man. I must have retried like 40 times before quitting. Calaca can keep the girl and preside over Satan's dominion. :p

Top Bottom