• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

Sanjuro

Quick question for the XB1 games for gold (haven't played much on there lately), is it like PS+ where the game is mine for the duration of my gold subscription?

B4D1E

Quick question for the XB1 games for gold (haven't played much on there lately), is it like PS+ where the game is mine for the duration of my gold subscription?

Yep, it's the same model than PS+. But on 360, the game is yours forever to keep.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
whats the deal with doing specials when you glow white? occasionally, when trying to navigate platforms via special moves (typically the uppercut) the game wont allow me to do the move and instead juan glows white for a second and an odd sound effect is played. what exactly triggers this blocking of abilities?

illPo27H66FKr.jpg

iEuZUUI1M61ks.jpg

icVvnlOZOpBBo.jpg

lt519

Lame the upgrade deal isn't for NA. I would of done it to experience the new content, but I'm not paying full price a second time for a game I've already beat twice ):

But then again it's so much better than Strider..

I have a question regarding how the game "feels" to play. I'm really, really picky when it comes to my 2D sidescroller/brawlers. For example, I love Mario sidescrollers, but just couldn't get into Donkey King/Sonic/Rayman/Meatboy games, even though they're gorgeous and of high caliber. Also, I compare all beat-em ups to Streets of Rage, so playing something looser like Dragon's Crown didn't feel right (although it being hard to tell what was going on and all the times stuck in menus might have contributed to my losing interest in the game). If you know what I'm talking about, can you tell me the "stickiness" of the game? I guess that's the most important part to me.

RodentBR

Neo Member
I'm so glad this was the free game from Xbox Live Gold this month. The game is absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it - the graphics, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the humour, the level design. Fabulous.

op_ivy

holy shit, that end boss! i'm too old for this shit, thank god for good check points and unlimited lives.

I'm so glad this was the free game from Xbox Live Gold this month. The game is absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it - the graphics, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the humour, the level design. Fabulous.

Now imagine it on a Vita...

Damn near smashed my Vita.

pswii60

Really want to love this game but there's something missing.

The environments are sublime, so colourful and beautiful on PS4. But I can't stand the character and enemy art, and the combat isn't satisfying - or fun - at all. The platforming is also pretty basic.

bidguy

Banned
this game is way too easy

really like fights with enemies who have long health bars the other ones are pretty boring to fight

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
whats the deal with doing specials when you glow white? occasionally, when trying to navigate platforms via special moves (typically the uppercut) the game wont allow me to do the move and instead juan glows white for a second and an odd sound effect is played. what exactly triggers this blocking of abilities?
You might be trying use the same ability more than once per jump. You can only use each ability once while you're in the air and you have to land to reuse them.

op_ivy

Really want to love this game but there's something missing.

The environments are sublime, so colourful and beautiful on PS4. But I can't stand the character and enemy art, and the combat isn't satisfying - or fun - at all. The platforming is also pretty basic.

i enjoyed it, but i found it to be a bit to convoluted and complicated for its own good, especially towards the end. combat was great, unless you are fighting many different types of enemies, each with their own patterns, many of them shielded with their own color coded shield. then you have to memorize what special attack corresponds to what color to temporarily defeat it AND contend with shifting between worlds to combat enemies on the other side. traversal was just as bad, what with double jumps, to dragon punches, to shifting between worlds to get platforms to appear, and dodging red thorns too. and, even worse, the game was pretty linear. yeah, its a metroidvania, but the best metroidvania's have you really exploring and getting lost. this was pretty much a linear experience with no need to really back track and the game telling you exactly where to go.

still though, great game, just wish it wasnt so puzzle platformy/combaty (but that seems to be the trend with "indies" these days).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i enjoyed it, but i found it to be a bit to convoluted and complicated for its own good, especially towards the end. combat was great, unless you are fighting many different types of enemies, each with their own patterns, many of them shielded with their own color coded shield. then you have to memorize what special attack corresponds to what color to temporarily defeat it AND contend with shifting between worlds to combat enemies on the other side. traversal was just as bad, what with double jumps, to dragon punches, to shifting between worlds to get platforms to appear, and dodging red thorns too. and, even worse, the game was pretty linear. yeah, its a metroidvania, but the best metroidvania's have you really exploring and getting lost. this was pretty much a linear experience with no need to really back track and the game telling you exactly where to go.

still though, great game, just wish it wasnt so puzzle platformy/combaty (but that seems to be the trend with "indies" these days).
All these things read as positives to me, haha. Your opinion is legit, too, of course.

bidguy

Banned
You're obviously not very far in. This game gets with the difficulty later on.

i think im almost finished

killed the trio de muerte or whatever theyre called.

read that theres a hard mode though but what does it change ?

oggob

i think im almost finished

killed the trio de muerte or whatever theyre called.

read that theres a hard mode though but what does it change ?

You die faster and some of the bosses have a few different tricks... I haven't started this version just yet, but I've heard some of the new stuff (if available from the start) could make the game easier.

Normal isn't that bad, with most of the challenge is with mob management when you have a bunch of guys with different shield colours and things like that.

Though I have heard that Intenso is over powered, meaning that you break shields with hits regardless of colour and that costumes are also available in the first playthrough? Both of them could/can make the game seem alot easier than it is.

Play as vanilla as possible and there will be some nice tricky sections.

jbug617

Banned
Beat the game last night (i think it said it took 7 hrs to beat and I didn't really explore that much). I think there were some parts that was meant to play with a co-op partner that made it hard on single player.

Spy

You're obviously not very far in. This game gets with the difficulty later on.

Nah, I agree with him. I felt it was very easy, beat the final boss on my third try and aside from the platforming section when trying to get an orb in Tree Tops it was pretty simple.

Laughed my ass off when the goat man told me I wouldn't be getting a power after smashing one of his statues and it still played that mariachi music as if I did.

Game is pretty short. 4 hours in and I've already reached the point of no return (or so the goat man tells me). Going to head back and collect what a missed/complete remaining side quests though.

Played the game on vita a while back and I never cared for it

after playing on Xbox one I feel dumb for sleeping on this before its soo goood and there are a lot of references to some of my favorite games.. I wonder are they console exclusive or do both the ps4 and the Xbox one have the same posters?

daedalius

Game is great so far, love the design aesthetic and the awesome posters everywhere. Lots of nostalgia feels.

Choozo statues really got me laughing.

Just picked it up, loving it! The writing is great, and the atmosphere and style is amazing. Not 100% sold on gameplay, but I'm getting used to it.

I couldn't resist and I bought the PS4 version anyway. Its sucks that we can't upgrade our Vita/PS3 version but I never finished the game and I just loved it when it came out, so bleh.

btw game looks fantastic on PS4.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Playing through this for the first time, on hard on first playthrough. This is glorious!

I'm about
to enter the volcano to deal with I presume the hydra-headed skeleton mariachi boss
.(progression spoiler)

Bought on Wii U just now. Always wanted to try it, and since I had more than $15 thanks to digital deluxe promotion credit, I got it for free.

Colombo

I bought it on Wii U 2 days ago but finally played it today for about an hour. I really like it and it's my kind of game. It's part Final Fight, part Metroidvania and it's works well and it's fun.

The combat is fun :O The game is gorgeous. A lot to explore, too.

I'm using Tostada with the Juanita costume. Slay.

And I really like the villain with the long flowing black hair.

Picobrain

Banned
To my understanding if I have PS3 version of Guacamelee I can get PS4 version for discounted price, but it's still showing full price for me. Do I have to do something to enable the discount?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got 100% in around 11 hours, enjoyed it a lot overall. Might go for a hard playthrough and see how it goes since the game was pretty easy in general.

Hatchtag

Banned
100% on everything but the Pico de Gallo. Can't find whatever the hell I need to 100% it, I'm at 78%. I see a sidequest about killing Aluxes, and I have one to go on it, but I'm not sure what the hell an Alux is. Anyone got tips for this?

Almost have 1000/1000 on this game.

All I have to do is finish the game on hard and get 20 kills in intenso mode.

Question: Where is the best place to get the 20 kill intenso achivement on a character that has 100%'d the map?

aries_71

Be careful when playing coop in the XBO. There's some kind of bug that results in not saving your progress when continuing solo. It did it on me twice, even if using different save slots.

Started replaying this. I platinumed the PS3/Vita version last year, didn't touch any of the DLC then. Surprised at the new areas and content, pretty fun way to get back into it. Started with Hard Mode by putting in the Konami code, pretty awesome.

Drinkbox games are very polished. Definitely one of my favorite downloadable studios.

Hatchtag

Banned
Almost have 1000/1000 on this game.

All I have to do is finish the game on hard and get 20 kills in intenso mode.

Question: Where is the best place to get the 20 kill intenso achivement on a character that has 100%'d the map?

Probably one of the rooms with the really, really easy to kill things that spawn in large numbers and attack by jumping in a circle thing. I think they're like the mini Aluxes.
Anyways, just 100%d the game and got every achievement aside from "That Was Hard Mode?" because I didn't know about the Konami code thing until I was halfway through normal. Great game. Looking forward to replaying it on hard.

Top Bottom