• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

I'm not sold on the game yet after one play of the demo, but I'm going to play ot a few more times. The gameplay with the 3 layers is feels really restricting. I like the story so far, the art and the characters. The fact that it's a classic also helps.

Sixfortyfive said:
Having more fun in 1v1 versus than I remember. I'm at the point where I want access to all the characters but don't want to be bothered having to clear all the story branches to do it. :/ I already have Proto Silver though, so I guess that's all that matters for now.

Had a close call last time through story mode where I let someone join on the final boss, which punted me back to the beginning of the stage, and then he started sucking up all my credits...

How do you do 1v1 Versus?

Is there a setting for it?

Would love if they had a SF type single player vs mode where you go through every character one by one.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dark Octave said:
The gameplay with the 3 layers is feels really restricting.
This is done so you can use fighting game motions for actions (up for jump, down for crouch, QCF/HCF/etc for specials).

Oh, this FINALLY came out? I've been fighting with my iOS5 update all day I forgot to check the weekly games. Going to download demo now...

amarito69

The game is great and bring a lot of nostalgia but I am bit disappointed with the chara design.
I was expecting a nice upgrade like capcom does.

Daigoro

couldnt scrounge up enough points when i went to check this out this morning. but i got the demo downloaded and ready to unlock when i get home in 9 hrs.

can. not. wait!

Gaspode_T

So basically I expected it to be a "5 to 10 hours to 200/200" sort of game but now I'm thinking it's more like 20 to 30 hours for a newb to the game. That's a good thing and a great value IMO. The branching paths, diff chars to pick, everything screams value.

LiK

Gaspode_T said:
So basically I expected it to be a "5 to 10 hours to 200/200" sort of game but now I'm thinking it's more like 20 to 30 hours for a newb to the game. That's a good thing and a great value IMO. The branching paths, diff chars to pick, everything screams value.
Yea, lots of replay with the branching paths. Very cool.

Teknoman

Gaspode_T said:

Dont forget versus mode.

Anyway still no GAF tag? Might have to step up for this one.

Sixfortyfive said:
This is done so you can use fighting game motions for actions (up for jump, down for crouch, QCF/HCF/etc for specials).
I see. I just played it again with this new info. Learned how to use fireballs and a rush move with the big sword guy. This has opened the game up for me and now it doesn't feel restricting at all. Hopefully there are more moves to discover.

Bought, thanks.

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:
I see. I just played it again with this new info. Learned how to use fireballs and a rush move with the big sword guy. This has opened the game up for me and now it doesn't feel restricting at all. Hopefully there are more moves to discover.

Bought, thanks.

Check Repertoire. in the start menu.

Mike M

Nick N
Leveling up in Remix mode no longer refills your HP : (

That's some serious bullshit, only Nicole has a way to heal herself in a level!

Been waiting so many years for this. Finally, Guardian Heroes HD is mine! Feeling so spoiled right now, with ICO/SOTC HD, Guardian Heroes HD and Forza 4.

Can't wait to jump in and knock out some playthroughs.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh hey, the 99 credit trick (Set game to easy, exit out, continue your game set on normal) DOES work!

EDIT: No it doesn't!

One thing I noticed is that if somebody joins you and gets disconnected somehow, the stage resets but you keep all of the levels you gained.

So in theory you could just have a friend join and quit repeatedly, so you'll be sitting pretty with 100+ levels.

Your friend is boned however. That's one thing that really annoys me about joining somebody else's game, they're usually stuck with an ass level.

Mike M said:
Oh hey, the 99 credit trick (Set game to easy, exit out, continue your game set on normal) DOES work!

WHAT?
...Doesn't work for me.

One thing Remix(or even Original) mode could have thrown in was some wacky power-up that boosts the other four character's stats depending on their path. Han gets that sword which boosts his stats by a ridiculous amount but everyone else? They get diddly.

Sixfortyfive said:
I've run into 2 Nicoles total online. Am I playing the right game?

You're talking about story mode right? She's everywhere in Versus along with the Spirits.
Not really feeling what Treasure considers "orthodox".

Teknoman said:
Check Repertoire. in the start menu.
Yeah this game is awesome now that I understand what kind of game it is. Loving that rising upper move with the big sword guy. I can't wait to try out some other characters. I just found another reason to kick myself for never owning a Saturn...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Dark Octave said:
Yeah this game is awesome now that I understand what kind of game it is. Loving that rising upper move with the big sword guy. I can't wait to try out some other characters. I just found another reason to kick myself for never owning a Saturn...

Han can use a "special" sword, If you find the right stage/path. Don't ask me, it's been years, I've totally forgotten

Arcade mode is great. Using GinJirou, I am in 1064th place with 87 Kills. Safe to say will probably never crack top 100 but it's fun to try.

Leaderboard is dominated by
Earth/Sky Spirit, Golden Silver and undead heroes

one guy is over 600 =l

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:

Yup. Complete awesomeness. Crazy soundtrack too and i'm hoping we get Guardian Heroes 2 now.

Sixfortyfive

It's funny picking this game back up after getting into fighting games in the interim. I just noticed for the first time that it has negative edge.

Peagles

If I quit at any time can I resume from the same place? I'm not seeing any indication that the gave is saving or anything... :/

Sixfortyfive

Peagles said:
If I quit at any time can I resume from the same place? I'm not seeing any indication that the gave is saving or anything... :/
Yeah, it saves at the beginning of each stage and you can select continue from the story mode menu.

It also seems to save whatever level/credit count you had at the moment you quit, not the moment when you entered that stage.

Peagles

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, it saves at the beginning of each stage and you can select continue from the story mode menu.

It also seems to save whatever level/credit count you had at the moment you quit, not the moment when you entered that stage.

Thank you kindly!

I'm kinda still in disbelief that that turned out as awesome as it has. I guess the only nitpick I have is a missing option for original Saturn version timing because the lack of slowdown during big pileups just freakin' weirds me out for some reason.

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm kinda still in disbelief that that turned out as awesome as it has. I guess the only nitpick I have is the lack of optional original Saturn timing because the lack of slowdown during big pileups just freakin' weirds me out for some reason.

Yeah same with me... it was part of the fun (and you could watch the explosions in slo-mo detail).

So Happy this game is finally here! Made quite a pretty penny on selling my Saturn copy on eBay back in early 2000s. Victory is mine!

Don't like the shared lives pool though...

Zabka

After trying both I think I'm sticking with the original version. Remix adds some cool stuff but the original control scheme just works better for me.

Playing this on a big screen tv with original graphics is hilarious. Pixels on some of the bosses are the size of quarters. I think the last time I played this game was on a 13" TV.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I still have my beloved US Saturn version, and I noticed a few differences:

- Characters have voices during gameplay
- Translation is different, more jokes added
- More detail (i.e. indications when characters are dead)
- The story actually makes fucking sense this time around

And I love it. Seriously, this is what a remake is supposed to be. I stick with original graphics (probably for nostalgia's sake), and the sprites are just as beautiful. The music is still as cheesy/awesome as ever, and the Sky Spirits are still the biggest douchewads. Can't wait to get back home and play some more!

PsychoMantis

Neo Member
As someone who never played it on the Saturn, I'm finding it pretty amazing so far. I'm not a fan of the remix graphics so I'm sticking with the original ones, which still look awesome.

VariantX

I think what is going to keep me playing this game for months on end is the multiplayer. It just gets crazy when the number of participants begin to exceed 4 players. I though the graphics were going to be an issue but I find the game looks great using either original or remixed visuals. Hope enough word of mouth gets people to pick it up to get treasure to consider a sequel in the future.

Daigoro

original graphics hold up quite well. i like the remix graphics too.

im sticking with the original control scheme too for the moment. they seem to work well.

great HD remake. im having fun.

Skilletor

I think this game is ugly as sin with OG graphics. The new sprites are really great.

This game is AMAZING! Ginjo (?) ALL DAY!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Man, I haven't played this since the Saturn days. Downloaded the demo to see if the magic's still there, and have enough points to grab this and Daytona.
I really should finish Torchlight first though...

Mike M

Nick N
Skilletor said:
I think this game is ugly as sin with OG graphics. The new sprites are really great.
A thousand times this. Even at the time of release, the game was *terrible* looking anytime you had a sprite scaled outside of it's original size. Which was all the fucking time!

The remix graphics are great, all the pencil sketching stuff that people were upset over in the original photos is barely perceptible, usually only when a sprite isn't moving at all (which is practically never).

Speaking of which, am I misremembering, or were there going to be multiple filters?
This game is AMAZING! Ginjo (?) ALL DAY!

And a million times this. Ginjirou is the schnitzel.

Tomasooie

No, the remixed graphics aren't that great.

A very heavy "smoothing" filter has been applied. It's just like on the Backbone emulations -- you lose detail for sharpness. The remixed graphics still look too dark compared to original, especially the backgrounds. Look at the lit windows on the opening. In original, they look bright and yellow, as a lit window during nighttime should look. In remix, they're a darker yellow, and it no longer looks correct.

Top Bottom