• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck...I can't access the game anymore. Tried playing with friends and me and another friend now just get a black screen when trying to boot up the game.....

Okay, it loaded instantly now...weeeeird

Mike M said:
Wait, what?

You can play as other characters in STORY MODE?!

I dunno, can you? :[ Hang on, I'll try.

It's been so long since I played the old Saturn game, so I don't know all the details of unlocking/etc. anymore.

Apparently you can't. My bad. :<

Also, wtf, the game didn't save my unlocked character for some reason. ;-;
Had the same error as Nils (just black screen and froze).

Sixfortyfive said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to play on Normal or higher to unlock characters?
Yeah you have to play on at least Normal.

You don't have to play Hard to unlock backgrounds though, they're all unlocked from the start.

Haven't had any issues with the game, and I've probably played it the most of anyone. How weird.

Becquerel said:
I got the Royal Guard guy on easy. :<

For serious? I did one path on easy and didn't unlock Valgar at the end, did the same path on normal and he unlocked.

Oh well...too late to double-check unless I delete my saves.

Not near my game now so cant check.. can you play 4 player story mode online ? I never had a multitap so I'm not even sure if it was possible on the saturn version.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No, there is no 4 player story mode, and never has been. It's a 2 player only affair, offline and online.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
op_ivy said:
how does the standard d-pad handle the game?

Everyone has different opinions. As one who has gotten pretty used to the 360 D-Pad, it does pretty well. The game isn't big on diagonals (move motions normally only involve the 4 primary directions) and the 360 pad serve well enough for that.

The new Remixed controls are made with the 360 Controller in mind, so it's the most "natural" for that mode.

Mike M

Nick N
Alligatorjandro said:
Is this game long?
Not particularly, but there are multiple routes through the game that effect which thread of the story you follow, and multiple characters with vastly different movesets.

Ludicrous amounts of replay value.

op_ivy said:
how does the standard d-pad handle the game?

I'm not liking it, but a lot of people seem not to mind (or they just use the stick which I'm not fond of either). I recommend trying the demo before diving in.

I'm actually using the 360's analog stick.

Have we made a Gaf Guardian Heroes list? I wanted to play Story Mode with SAB CA for months, lol

Dibs on the ninja, of course

Brannon

Oh yeah, this is the stuff, from the moment that guard breaks in and Serena heartlessly cuts him down, the love came back in full force.

LeonSKennedy90 said:

Have we made a Gaf Guardian Heroes list? I wanted to play Story Mode with Fersis for months, lol

Sorry to break it to you, but Fersis doesn't have a 360.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
I hope this black screen deal isn't widespread. This is troubling.

It had 3-4 times in a row for me and my friend on a different console. After that it worked again for both of us. Tried exiting to dashboard the first time and upon pressing "Yes exit" that screen froze too.

I was also blown away that this doesn't have 4 player co-op in the story mode. Should have researched it more, but still extremely strange they have that extraneous Versus mode with 12 players but no Story co-op for 4...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LeonSKennedy90 said:

Have we made a Gaf Guardian Heroes list? I wanted to play Story Mode with Fersis SAB CA for months, lol

LoL, given the KoF threads, I guess we're interchangeable! ;)

But, but, if you play Ginjiro, then I guess I'll... probably play Nicole, lol. Even though Remix is kickin' my butt more than it needs to. Great how vicious they are.

Edit: Wow, what'd you do to get banned that quickly (o_O;) -having a nice convo...BANNED-

Nils said:
I was also blown away that this doesn't have 4 player co-op in the story mode. Should have researched it more, but still extremely strange they have that extraneous Versus mode with 12 players but no Story co-op for 4...

Treasure would have to change a lot to make the story 4 player to their usual high standards. New Dialog, New interactions for the other players, rebalanced enemey waves, tougher boss battles... it wouldn't be the nicest thing to throw into this game.

I am personally more suprised the Arcade mode didn't get a 4 player mode (as it IS a new mode, they could have covered for such a thing there), but since it's the "leaderboard rush" mode of the game, I understand why it didn't.

Man I told this dude I was talking to on XBL the original saturn didn't have 4 player story mode to my knowledge and he was all "yeah it did bro i had a multitap"

Also yes a 4 player arcade mode would have been amazingly fun.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
SAB CA said:
LoL, given the KoF threads, I guess we're interchangeable! ;)

But, but, if you play Ginjiro, then I guess I'll... probably play Nicole, lol. Even though Remix is kickin' my butt more than it needs to. Great how vicious they are.

Edit: Wow, what'd you do to get banned that quickly (o_O;) -having a nice convo...BANNED-

Treasure would have to change a lot to make the story 4 player to their usual high standards. New Dialog, New interactions for the other players, rebalanced enemey waves, tougher boss battles... it wouldn't be the nicest thing to throw into this game.

I am personally more suprised the Arcade mode didn't get a 4 player mode (as it IS a new mode, they could have covered for such a thing there), but since it's the "leaderboard rush" mode of the game, I understand why it didn't.

I get that, I was mostly under the wrong impression this wasn't a 4 player game in the first place as all the screens showed 3-4 characters.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
oh god watching the Saturn intro takes me back to 8th grade

e: translation is different. I ain't mad though

JKTrix

I should probably read up on how to do that. That would be useful.
Game has some really cheesy humour. I like it.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
12 player versus is insane. Would be nice if they gave you a few seconds to locate your character first. I've kinda had to just block and hope that i'm not getting my ass kicked before finding where I'm at.

Zabka

Was crazy excited to come back to this (sold my copy to help pay for an xbox 360 in 2005), crashed twice in 10 minutes. Didn't have any issues with the hour I played Renegade Ops earlier.

I'll come back to it later tonight.

robot

Wow had no idea this was only 800 points - what an awesome deal. Sega seems to understand the difference $5 makes on xbla.

SAB CA said:
Never had this issue. How are you jumping into the BG due to double-tapping? It's set to buttons (LB and LT). Sure your finger isn't just grazing the triggers?

The 360 pad isn't THAT bad. I've been playing between it and analog, and have had no real issues. Doing Instant-Air Dashes and such with no difficulty. The thing thats worse for me, is being turned in the wrong direction when doing certain specials.

When I use the left analog stick, and trying to double tap for a dash, my character often jumps into the background. This is not a problem for anybody else?

Btw, these are the achievements for Guardian Heroes:

Bark Like a Dog! 5
Give the Undead Hero a command in Story Mode.
Align with the Sign 5
Find the Coliseum in Story Mode.
Vendetta's End 10
Defeat Kanon in Story Mode.
Knighty Nite 20
Defeat Valgar in Story Mode.
Yep, Clowns Are Scary 20
Defeat Super Zur in Story Mode.
He Just Got Bronzed 20
Defeat Golden Silver in Story Mode.
The Sky is Fallen 20
Defeat the Sky Spirit in Story Mode.
Dirty Schemer 20
Defeat the Great Earth Spirit in Story Mode.
Or So the Tale Goes 5
Finish Story Mode in any difficulty.
The Hero That Heroes Call 15
Finish Story Mode in Hard Mode without using any continues. (13)
Another World Saved 30
Watch all the endings in Story Mode.
Guardian Heroes 30
Unlock all characters in Story Mode.

Which of these do you guys think are going to be tough to get? How difficult is Hard Mode?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
adversesolutions said:
When I use the left analog stick, and trying to double tap for a dash, my character often jumps into the background. This is not a problem for anybody else?
Are you pressing down on the stick? I think the default controls might map one of the plane shift commands to the sticks.

M3d10n

adversesolutions said:

Btw, these are the achievements for Guardian Heroes:

Which of these do you guys think are going to be tough to get? How difficult is Hard Mode?
By their names, they're almost all about hitting different branches in the Story mode. I don't know how hard the hard mode is, but using the old Nicole + friend + coliseum game-breaking combo should do the trick.

Talking about game breaking, does the game still freaks out when you reach level 255? In the Saturn version, if you stay long enough in the coliseum you could easily get past level 200.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Having more fun in 1v1 versus than I remember. I'm at the point where I want access to all the characters but don't want to be bothered having to clear all the story branches to do it. :/ I already have Proto Silver though, so I guess that's all that matters for now.

Had a close call last time through story mode where I let someone join on the final boss, which punted me back to the beginning of the stage, and then he started sucking up all my credits...

Top Bottom