• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Make dungeon tokens universal after rebalancing the dungeons.

Eh, I'm against this. I think the prices should be reduced pretty heavily, but the whole purpose of having dungeon gear is to show that you did that specific dungeon. I'm for making dungeon gear less pricey but making the explorable modes much more difficult. Even though I got crushed by AC explorable, there are people who can do it pretty easily. Or used to be able to do it easily, I'm not sure if they buffed it.

Concept17

I go Sword/dagger & Shortbow

I switch between sword/dagger & shortbow for non boss
I use shortbow exclusively on boss
Yep, that's totally how I play. I use Greatsword/Shortbow and typically run into groups of mobs and swing away. If things get too hairy I switch to shortbow and get some distance on the enemies. Once they've thinned out I usually go back into melee. The great thing about using greatsword with a ranged weapon is swoop has a range of 1100 so you just need to take a few steps forward and you can leap into melee. I find that I'm pretty survivable with a bear pet to take hits for me. The play style is definitely doable, but I'm no expert on builds so I can't really speak to where it sits in comparison to other builds.

Good to hear. How is dps for sword/warhorn or dagger? From videos I've watched it seems like people prefer greatsword - but thats really not my style. :p

etiolate

Banned
Eh, I'm against this. I think the prices should be reduced pretty heavily, but the whole purpose of having dungeon gear is to show that you did that specific dungeon.

I rather the tokens be universal, but the items require you to have beaten each path in a dungeon at least once.

Achtius

Eh, I'm against this. I think the prices should be reduced pretty heavily, but the whole purpose of having dungeon gear is to show that you did that specific dungeon. I'm for making dungeon gear less pricey but making the explorable modes much more difficult. Even though I got crushed by AC explorable, there are people who can do it pretty easily. Or used to be able to do it easily, I'm not sure if they buffed it.

But I already spent my tokens T_T;

I am not against it either. Since I need to get the other two pieces.

Shrennin

I rather the tokens be universal, but the items require you to have beaten each path in a dungeon at least once.

Yeah, okay. I wouldn't mind this. Just as long as the dungeon gear you have allows the person to know that you did that dungeon.

But I already spent my tokens T_T;

I am not against it either. Since I need to get the other two pieces.

I like Etolate's solution and if that's the case then I'm fine with universal tokens. I would actually welcome that solution over the current one of just reducing the price. For one, having to beat all three paths makes the grind seem less since, assuming the price is reduced, you'll probably accumulate tokens without even realizing it because you have to beat the paths.

Trey

Eh, I'm against this. I think the prices should be reduced pretty heavily, but the whole purpose of having dungeon gear is to show that you did that specific dungeon.

I get that, but that's not really an accomplishment in and of itself. I'd rather a title command that role instead. People are only running dungeons for the armor, may as well let them get around in order to mitigate the feeling of a grind.

Shrennin

I get that, but that's not really an accomplishment in and of itself. I'd rather a title command that role instead. People are only running dungeons for the armor, may as well let them get around in order to mitigate the feeling of a grind.

Dungeon gear is mostly cosmetic though, isn't it? If that's the case then either the tokens should be exclusive to that dungeon or it should be like Etoliate's solution (have to beat all three explorable paths before you get access to that specific dungeon armor). Even if they weren't just cosmetic, I still like the latter solution.

GW2 has some dungeon problems, but they can definitely be fixed. The only items I'm for as far as being an extreme grind is the legendary weapons. Dungeon gear should not be as hard as it is to acquire (at least a full dungeon set).

Piecake

Id rathe have a mystic forge recipe. You put 70 AC tokens in and get 35 CoE (or whatever) out. Makes it beneficial to run the dungeon that has your gear, but doesnt require it

Kingbrave

Well, it's good to know they realize that dungeon sets have absurd prices right now. I wouldn't mind if they just chopped the costs in half for each piece.

Pretty much! We didn't end up doing a dungeon tonight, and it's no skin off my back. I just played some TL2 and relaxed. Looking forward to running CoE tomorrow, though.

I would run dungeons but I'm trying to figure out how to take over the world and end the Asuran menace...they are really just talking rats!

well i tried my bit for us in wvw last night, when i got on we had maybe 10 people in SBI borderlands and owned nothing. Slowly they rolled up in dribs and drabs, and with a bit of teamwork we took a keep. Then there was about an hour where it all fell to shit again because anybody that was even remotely interested in coordinating a strategy (and i should point out these were working strategies) got shit on in chat until they went away. eventually the people being dicks shut up and left, and everybody else pulled together to hit a few more points and secure our supply lines. Nice feeling leaving the server having felt like we made something of an impact while america slept. But if that kind of thing happens often it would explain why we're losing. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd lost it all again minutes after I logged out.

Shrennin

Dodging kind of sucks because it's kind of impossible to do on reaction.

Depends on what you have it bound to, I suppose. The double tap default is definitely unintuitive but I have mine bound to a side mouse button that's really easy to hit upon reaction.

Shrennin

its a weapon skill

As an engineer, i have no blocks, but my warrior can rock a bunch of blocks with either mace, shield, or sword

Oh, okay. As an ele I don't have any blocks either. Yeah, I would prefer dodging over blocking. I also don't like countering moves either.

Shrennin

well, countering would be considered a block as well

Yeah, I just remembered it when I tried out the mesmer in the BWEs. I remember blocking now that you mentioned it was a weapon skill. Never liked it then because it seemed really unintuitive.

Piecake

Yeah, I just remembered it when I tried out the mesmer in the BWEs. I remember blocking now that you mentioned it was a weapon skill. Never liked it then because it seemed really unintuitive.

At first i didnt like them because they rooted you in place and I liked the movement of GW2 combat. They eventually grew on me though since block skills help create a nice battle flow and are pretty damn effective (counters especially)

ZenVolta

If any of the Stormbluff Gaf guilds have room, mind sending me a invite? Im pretty active. Iv got a level 35 Thief and level 19 Guardian(working on her right now)

TheYanger

Agreed, I'm not even talking about legendaries. While they seem a little excessive to me, I think it's good for the game to have long term goals that you can achieve by the accumulation of all the things you'll be doing in an extended period of time, and not necessarily by doing 1 thing over and over.

Event rewards compared to the time you spend on them (especially when some are almost instant and some chain for like 1 hour or more) is what bothers me the most in addition to dungeons of course.

Chest rewards are almost 100% useless. I'm not talking about giving out rares and exotics every time, because then you would grind chests, but more situational stuff. I like the chests that give out potions that help for a specific type of enemy and I want to see more of that. I'd love to see crafting materials or better amounts of gold given out as well. Maybe boosters, bags of currency like karma, heck, why not super rare 50/100 gem drops or something useful like that, etc. Right now all you get is 3-5 shitty blues, maybe 1 totally useless green and 50c.

Long term goals are good. NO goals except long term is awful.
Legendary equivilent grinds like this should be symbols of prestige that your average player doesn't even attempt - there should be other things to do with your time than grind.
Example: The Insane in wow. very grindy, very neat title, and people know you put in effort (or did, it's easier now). Making a shitload of legendaries, making them THE goal of the pve game, and then making THAT an absurd grind, is super super shitty. Make some uber legendary when you get the other more reasonable ones (all of em) or something, and then make the rest reasonable. Something like that? I can get behind.

_woLf

Just tried doing the jumping puzzle in Eternal Battlegrounds. I'm level 41 because I can't play the game a lot. I lasted about 20 minutes before a stupid fucking hunting squad from Maguuma ganked me, a lone person just trying to complete the jumping puzzle. All were level 80 and looked pretty decked out in good looking gear.

Fuck that shit. Let's make an already frustrating jumping puzzle even more frustrating by having it be an active 3 world pvp zone!

zon

I was finally going to start farming CoF for some better looking gear yesterday, I find a party with an experienced player who explains everything. Then 15 minutes in my internet connection dies. And. refuses. to. start. again.

FML

Violet_0

Banned
unless I find some super awesome looking exotics, I think I'll stick with these outfits for my Engineer and Mesmer

jbyDLG3rICAouj.jpg

js8hUnBKJeTJK.jpg

you came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker

jwCUuxgu6igGg.jpg

jVZJn0zoPuZsD.jpg

my Engineer is a pokemon

I've just bought the game through Amazon. My only other attempts at MMORPGS were vanilla WoW and Phantasy Star Online, enjoyed the latter and hated the grind fest of the former.

I keep reading "adventure" in GW2 related posts, that's what I'm expecting to get from it, I love exploring, not an addict of loot/xp.

Any beginner tips?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've just bought the game through Amazon. My only other attempts at MMORPGS were vanilla WoW and Phantasy Star Online, enjoyed the latter and hated the grind fest of the former.

I keep reading "adventure" in GW2 related posts, that's what I'm expecting to get from it, I love exploring, not an addict of loot/xp.

Any beginner tips?

Gather everything :p

Audioboxer

Think I'm going to shelve my GW2 playthroughs until ArenaNet start patching the professions. Anyone have any idea when some of the larger scale balancing/tweaking is scheduled for?

so, is there anything worth selling on the trading post? mats i'm keeping for my own professions, weapons are selling for so ridiculously low there's no point (eg. 65c vs. 1s4c at a vendor). unless i'm reading the thing wrong.

Ken

so, is there anything worth selling on the trading post? mats i'm keeping for my own professions, weapons are selling for so ridiculously low there's no point (eg. 65c vs. 1s4c at a vendor). unless i'm reading the thing wrong.

I make good silver off yellows; usually around 20s for one through the "meet highest order" option.

Dunlop

Hit 80 on my engineer and realized I have no idea what to do now. Going to PVP and WvW because I haven't really done that since beta. But is there a guide for new 80's out there? Specifically on what to do to grind for exotic gear?

Violet_0

Banned
Hit 80 on my engineer and realized I have no idea what to do now. Going to PVP and WvW because I haven't really done that since beta. But is there a guide for new 80's out there? Specifically on what to do to grind for exotic gear?

I have two lvl 80 characters. What I did/do is

roll another alt (in my case, lvl 17 Ranger)
try to complete the Orr zones and Frostgorge for the exotics (with every character) - I should mention that I'm currently at 99% in all four zones because of bugged skill points/bugged story mission
do dungeon runs - I love joining other Gaffers on explorable runs even if I have no idea what to get with the tokens
play some WvWvW - so much more fun with guildies. Invisible zergs are a huge issue for me though
do every jumping puzzle (again, more enjoyable with a group)

complete every zone?

for exotics, you could grind Karma (meh) and get the Orr Karma gear. You could also complete your story for the rewards.

Piecake

At 80, im enjoying exploring all the zones i havent done and taking my time to explore everything in it - not just rush to get it complete

I also like running dungeons. Still havent checked out the Cursed Shore, so might do that eventually...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
At 80, im enjoying exploring all the zones i havent done and taking my time to explore everything in it - not just rush to get it complete

I also like running dungeons. Still havent checked out the Cursed Shore, so might do that eventually...

Yeah, this :) I'm trying to get a legendary though, but while exploring for the 100% thing, I take my time for everything. Still finding so many cool places I didn't even visit before, and lots of events I completely missed or didn't pay attention to. Dungeon-wise the only thing I did was finishing AC story mode, can't wait for the other dungeons and explorables.

But yeah, the legendary is so far away I don't even bother to grind for it. I just take what I can get, I don't rush through to get it. That's how the game is the most fun, I'd say.

Achtius

Rather than farming karma, buy exotic gear from tp for 2-4g a piece. or farm your own mats and find someone in the guild to make it for you (or level your craft to 400)

Vossler

Wondering if anyone would be down to do some Twilight Arbor Story Mode tonight....dinged to 54 last night and would like to give it a shot, as well as some more AC Explore.

Fishious

Long term goals are good. NO goals except long term is awful.
Legendary equivilent grinds like this should be symbols of prestige that your average player doesn't even attempt - there should be other things to do with your time than grind.
Example: The Insane in wow. very grindy, very neat title, and people know you put in effort (or did, it's easier now). Making a shitload of legendaries, making them THE goal of the pve game, and then making THAT an absurd grind, is super super shitty. Make some uber legendary when you get the other more reasonable ones (all of em) or something, and then make the rest reasonable. Something like that? I can get behind.

Sort of agree? I'm not really bent out of shape about legendaries like some people. I figure maybe I'll just passively collect most of the stuff over the course of a few years, but I have to agree that there need to be more midterm goals and they need to be communicated to the players. The legendaries really sound like something the devs would add after the first few expansions once a lot of people have already met most of the normal endgame goals to give completionists something to do. Instead we have them at launch which isn't necessarily bad (it's not like they're limited time or anything), but the gap in effort required between "lesser" prestige items like dungeon gear (even with the crazy number of tokens they need) and the legendaries is huge. So in the end I think they just need more intermediary goals leaving legendaries as a truly optional timesink for the insanely dedicated.

Kingbrave

It only takes about 20-30 hours to get level 80 once you know what you're doing. less if you have crafting mats/money. You can get 40-80 entirely in town.

I guess I just get caught up in running around doing goofy shit. Like seeing how many mobs I can take on at one time with my greatsword or dual axes. I had the same problem when I first started WOW, I'd go swimming or just run around chasing shit I shouldn't. I'm really in no rush.

Looks like my account might have been stolen, just got an email saying someone changed the email associated with my account and now I can't log in. Why on earth wouldn't it ask me to confirm the change via email first?

bogg

I guess I just get caught up in running around doing goofy shit. Like seeing how many mobs I can take on at one time with my greatsword or dual axes. I had the same problem when I first started WOW, I'd go swimming or just run around chasing shit I shouldn't. I'm really in no rush.

Don't rush it, on the pve side there is pretty much nothing to do at 80 unless you enjoy the dungeons. I wish there were more level 80 zones, like at least a zone for each race. The orr area gets old really fast, and other then a few cool locals it's pretty ugly too.

Kingbrave

Don't rush it, on the pve side there is pretty much nothing to do at 80 unless you enjoy the dungeons. I wish there were more level 80 zones, like at least a zone for each race. The orr area gets old really fast, and other then a few cool locals it's pretty ugly too.

I'm not going to. Half the fun for me right now is finding the right weapon swaps for my warrior. I'm partial to dual axes and great sword for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom