• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

Players are just playing within the rule set they are given. Don't want players to do an action? Don't program your game to make that available to them. I don't give a shit about having to divine some sort of 'developer morality' every time I do something beneficial in fear of getting banned.

The rule set players are given includes the Terms of Service. If you break the terms of service, you risk getting banned, regardless of whether or not you feel it was justified.

KePoW

Banned
NnUg7.png

That's how.

How have you played 228 hours already? Has the game even been out that long? That's crazy!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Was talking to a friend.....

16:01 <him> hah so figured out another way to get rich quick in GW2
16:07 <ferrio> so what's that
16:09 <him> ygo to the southern area of Cursed Shore where ori nodes spawn
16:09 <him> mine them, log to char select, change server, repeat
16:09 <ferrio> that's exploity
16:09 <him> one guy got 90 ori ore one evenign doing that
16:09 <him> barely

Yeah. They were talking about this exploit yesterday in the Jade Quarry Orr chat.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I inadvertently managed to get all but one of the monthly requirements to tier v. All I need now are WvWvW kills. Is it easy? I haven't actually tried WvWvW.

KePoW

Banned
Hey man, the game has been out for like 640 hours already.

Well I wasn't counting 24 hours a day, haha. I was calculating a reasonable max amount of time per day, excluding work/sleep/eating.

So like 4-5 hours per day, has it been out that long? Doesn't seem that long ago.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I inadvertently managed to get all but one of the monthly requirements to tier v. All I need now are WvWvW kills. Is it easy? I haven't actually tried WvWvW.

Stick with the zeros and catch runners. Very easy.

kidko

The production is good when the beat comes in but the intro could use a tweak pass i think. I can tell what you're going for, something lo-fi before the big drop, but maybe it needs a little swing, some ADSR tweaking on the beepy patch to smooth it out, maybe some reverb or fast delay that sounds reverby, maybe a low octave copy that plays along with it.

There's your free unsolicited audio nerd critique for the day.

Arcteryx

Anyone else having issues with leveling now that the zerg is mostly in Orr? I swear, I've seen a total of less than 10 players today in my travels from Gendarran to Lornars. Groups events have been REALLY hard with usually only 1-2 other people there to help out(events which I ran previously with my warrior and found 20+ people doing them).

Deitus

Well I wasn't counting 24 hours a day, haha. I was calculating a reasonable max amount of time per day, excluding work/sleep/eating.

So like 4-5 hours per day, has it been out that long? Doesn't seem that long ago.

I was being sarcastic. It has been around 640 hours (actually, more like 660) since the game released, when you factor in sleeping and work/school, 200+ hours of game time is a tremendous amount of time.

No judgement from me though. I wish I had that much time to spend playing GW2, and if I did in fact have that much time, you can bet that's exactly how I would spend it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The production is good when the beat comes in but the intro could use a tweak pass i think. I can tell what you're going for, something lo-fi before the big drop, but maybe it needs a little swing, some ADSR tweaking on the beepy patch to smooth it out, maybe some reverb or fast delay that sounds reverby, maybe a low octave copy that plays along with it.

There's your free unsolicited audio nerd critique for the day.

Thank you very much :) I will try to think of it next time (well, everything of it I actually understand, that is).

Goli

GAF, I purchased this earlier today and downloaded the Mac client, currently at the world select thing... I live in South America so I wanted to join the NA server listed in the OP which is closer than Europe, of course, but it says it's full, while the European server listed still has space. What do I do?

Achtius

GAF, I purchased this earlier today and downloaded the Mac client, currently at the world select thing... I live in South America so I wanted to join the NA server listed in the OP which is closer than Europe, of course, but it says it's full, while the European server listed still has space. What do I do?

check for the opening for stormbluff isles everytime you log in ;3

This is what concerns me about the long-term health of WvW. As people in that thread have pointed out, overnight participation seems to be a huge predictor of which server wins a given matchup, which could seriously hurt interest in WvW if it continues this way forever.

My server's current matchup has been a one-way blowout since day 1, and I'm already noticing a decline in WvW population and interest over the week. It can still be fun to hop on and play around as the underdog, but it's significantly more enjoyable when the matchups are close (and you know you're not going to just lose everything overnight).

Hopefully Anet can figure out a technical way around it, or at least do a better job of matching servers that cover roughly the same waking hours.

There is no rushing in this game to 80, it's just effortless to level up in this game. It's wonderful, you can truly play however you like and get there with ease. I didn't even touch crafting until the other day, not necessary at all to lvl up quickly. I didn't even do the dungeons. I just like to really explore and clear every zone I come across and I do whatever event pops up along the way. Sometimes I'm managing things in my inventory and salvaging, etc. and the event comes up again before I leave so I just do it again. There are just so many ways to get xp.

On the crafting note, I hit 400 on Tailoring! woot! Now I need to look up the recipe for the best armor with the stats I want. I imagine I just use gosamire for everything and then do whatever the 400 lvl insignia recipe is that the trainer sells for karma. I'd like to do it without wasting the karma though.

Next up is Jeweler but I might take a brake and just go clear some more zones and mine like crazy along the way for it. Won't get to play this weekend because I'll be out of town watching my Cards crush the Eagles :D

etiolate

Banned
Wondering if anyone would be down to do some Twilight Arbor Story Mode tonight....dinged to 54 last night and would like to give it a shot, as well as some more AC Explore.

Still need to do TA Story, so I'm down.

I also need to do CoE, CoF and HotW story, and then start on explore modes for everything.

I did Straights of Devastation solo work yesterday and started to realize the area is meant for groups.

edit: fuck b2b

KingKong

geez, are you guys just leveling alts? I'm at around 75 hours I think and I'm level 80 and on the final personal story mission

There is no rushing in this game to 80, it's just effortless to level up in this game. It's wonderful, you can truly play however you like and get there with ease. I didn't even touch crafting until the other day, not necessary at all to lvl up quickly. I didn't even do the dungeons. I just like to really explore and clear every zone I come across and I do whatever event pops up along the way. Sometimes I'm managing things in my inventory and salvaging, etc. and the event comes up again before I leave so I just do it again. There are just so many ways to get xp.

Yeah, I didn't find crafting to be as helpful as I expected. I've been really short on materials, even though I collect everything I see and salvage most of my trash loot. Maybe I should have been buying more on the TP, but that seemed to get expensive quickly.

BillyBats

Banned
There is nothing wrong with "our" culture. People all have their own goals in games, even if it's getting to max level in a short amount of time. If the journey offered them something they actually enjoyed, they would do it. Most people are not brainless masochists.

I love how you contradict yourself in your own post. "Most people are not brainless masochists" and "If the journey offered them something they actually enjoyed, they would do it." Hmmm. So, they are getting to max level in a short amount of time while not enjoying it. They are doing something that they don't enjoy, making them a masochist, probably brainless. Good job.

And if some people can't see how our "culture" has led to this type of behavior in MMO's then you're short sighted. End game? End game? But how's the end game? Is there an end game? This usually shows up a week after release. People expect instant gratification these days, gamers take this to a whole new level. We all know this. MMO discussions are the examples to point to.

I love the game, unfortunately, this OT has been turned into a shitfest instead of a place where fans of the game can turn and get information and discuss playing it without skimming through the muck.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm over 250 hours played.

same - but to be fair, university starts in October ;)

I'm the type of person who can play through an entire game in one sitting, and I expect to barely have any time for GW2 come next month. Also, I haven't leveled nearly as time-efficiently as KingKong, for example. Once I have hit 80 on my Ranger alt as well and full exotic sets for all my characters, I consider myself done with the game (will probably still log in for WvWvW and dungeon runs occasionally) and wait for the expansion/new content

TheYanger

Anyone else having issues with leveling now that the zerg is mostly in Orr? I swear, I've seen a total of less than 10 players today in my travels from Gendarran to Lornars. Groups events have been REALLY hard with usually only 1-2 other people there to help out(events which I ran previously with my warrior and found 20+ people doing them).

Which is why the scaling is supposed to keep 80s going to older zones too, but rewards don't scale enough for that to happen. So it's going to be the same as every other mmo in that regard until they fix it.

Violet_0

Banned
Which is why the scaling is supposed to keep 80s going to older zones too, but rewards don't scale enough for that to happen. So it's going to be the same as every other mmo in that regard until they fix it.

this is unfortunately true and very annoying

Piecake

Cant believe theres no grouping system, spamming LFG in chat is so lame

i dont think this game needs a grouping system. What i do think though is that it would be real nice to indicate what you are LFGing for. So there is a dungeon lfg sub secion and in that sub section there is another sub section for each dungeon. That way you dont have to be in the zone of the dungeon to lfg or watch map chat

jersoc

This is what concerns me about the long-term health of WvW. As people in that thread have pointed out, overnight participation seems to be a huge predictor of which server wins a given matchup, which could seriously hurt interest in WvW if it continues this way forever.

My server's current matchup has been a one-way blowout since day 1, and I'm already noticing a decline in WvW population and interest over the week. It can still be fun to hop on and play around as the underdog, but it's significantly more enjoyable when the matchups are close (and you know you're not going to just lose everything overnight).

Hopefully Anet can figure out a technical way around it, or at least do a better job of matching servers that cover roughly the same waking hours.

and screw everyone who works 2nd or 3rd shift right? we should all logon at 6pm to play. no. i get home a little after 1am. half the reason i got this was for wvw. I should not be punished for playing at those hours at all.

those servers need to deal with it during the day just like everyone else.

ZenVolta

The only thing I can think of for fighting the "over night" take overs is that the servers should limit the amount of people based on how many are on the other team.

For example: If you have 100 guys and the other team has say 3, who do you thinks going to win? Now if the server said "Ok they have 100ish players right now, let 100ish get in at the moment"

It might suck for those who dont have the time to be on at peak hours. But this can also work in their favor. Lets say you are in a WvW just for killing mobs or doing skills. If less people are on then you may have less to worry about in the ways of PVP.

Last though is KICK THE FUCKING IDLERS! We all wanna check the TP or buy things. Maybe you need to take the dog for a walk, I dont know. But damn if at peak times there will be 10 people just standing around at the gate.

Tc9HO.jpg

Pretty much done with the game, when is the next expansion comming :p?
Guess I will play some pandaland and come back later when an expansion or a major update is out or something.

scosher

i dont think this game needs a grouping system. What i do think though is that it would be real nice to indicate what you are LFGing for. So there is a dungeon lfg sub secion and in that sub section there is another sub section for each dungeon. That way you dont have to be in the zone of the dungeon to lfg or watch map chat

Yeah, that's easily the best way since the only time you'd group is for dungeons. They should just have a section in the LFG tab where you can specifically set yourself to be LFG for any dungeon anywhere in the world.

And there should be something simliar to meeting stones imo. So if someone has to bail in your current group, you can easily find a replacement and summon them to you.

and screw everyone who works 2nd or 3rd shift right? we should all logon at 6pm to play. no. i get home a little after 1am. half the reason i got this was for wvw. I should not be punished for playing at those hours at all.

those servers need to deal with it during the day just like everyone else.

I think there are solutions that wouldn't require shutting down the server overnight... not sure how you got any of that from my post.

The only thing I can think of for fighting the "over night" take overs is that the servers should limit the amount of people based on how many are on the other team.

This could work. I also think they could scale the point gain based on the player population, so it's harder to gain a huge lead against an empty server.

Last though is KICK THE FUCKING IDLERS! We all wanna check the TP or buy things. Maybe you need to take the dog for a walk, I dont know. But damn if at peak times there will be 10 people just standing around at the gate.

I thought they kicked idlers already? Someone mentioned that in chat anyway.

Sora_N

So my inventory is running out of space, what kinda items should I sell off or should I just sell all the crap I don't need?

QP3

Sorry to be that annoying guy who doesn't know anything, but...

I just started (find it very refreshing for an mmo) and see people in the chat continuing to use "AC". Whats does that stand for?

Ferny

So my inventory is running out of space, what kinda items should I sell off or should I just sell all the crap I don't need?

Send consumables to bank, sell low level items to vendor, and also sell junk when at vendor to just get rid of vendor trash.

Sophia

Sorry to be that annoying guy who doesn't know anything, but...

I just started (find it very refreshing for an mmo) and see people in the chat continuing to use "AC". Whats does that stand for?

It's Ascalonian Catacombs. The game's first dungeon at level 30.

The wvwvw queue garbage makes no sense and has ruined guild pvp night. Over 20 members trying to play and in over an hour, only 5 could get in. Nor did it make sense with some getting in 10 min while others would be in the queue already for almost an hour before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom