• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

arimanius

I hate this game. Don't get me wrong, I like the combat, the PQs are a better way to hide the questing grind IMO, WvW has been fun when I've played it, the community actually has been very good, etc. So why do I hate it?

I can't find a F'n class that I like!!! I've tried them all but necros and ele and there's always something I dislike. My two highest classes are mesmer and warrior. Maybe I should just pick one and power to 80.

/rant

Xiaoki

I don't understand why you, and Sethos before you, and probably someone before that, feel the need to respond in such an antagonistic way to disagreement. You get several fairly standard responses in the context of a large conversation involving a couple hundred people, and respond with the text equivalent of smearing feces on the walls half the time.

Despite your indignant posts, you never really did describe why MMOs without perpetual numbers progression (as opposed to skill/customization progression) are somehow inappropriate conceptually.
How about because I NEVER said GW2 needed a WoW style gear treadmill progression system. Which is why I called the WoW counter-argument a Straw Man.

If you had bothered to actually read my posts instead of reflexively lashing out you would already know this.

Kingbrave

Never understood why anyone would rush to Max Level instead of enjoying the game. stop to smell the roses people.

I prefer to stop and smack the shit outta some of those lil gnome looking dudes and use the tree people as toothpicks. They are so unimportant I forgot their names.

Ricker

Grrr..one free transfer per day starting tomorrow...bah,I will try and make it work...can you come back to your main server on the same day though?...

I guess I just get caught up in running around doing goofy shit. Like seeing how many mobs I can take on at one time with my greatsword or dual axes. I had the same problem when I first started WOW, I'd go swimming or just run around chasing shit I shouldn't. I'm really in no rush.

IMO the longest stretch of leveling is 1-30 after that it's quick, especially if you are running into ton of events, for example my friend went from 70-75 in about 3 hours because we just kept on running into events, I also help him level, he was 70 doing level 79 hearts, he completed Frostgorge at 74 lol...

Kingbrave

IMO the longest stretch of leveling is 1-30 after that it's quick, especially if you are running into ton of events, for example my friend went from 70-75 in about 3 hours because we just kept on running into events, I also help him level, he was 70 doing level 79 hearts, he completed Frostgorge at 74 lol...

I can level pretty fast when I actually care about it. Last night I went from 50 to 55 in an hour or so. I just get caught up in hitting shit with other shit and laughing at shit. In other words I like wonder around. I'm not in any rush. I would like to start doing dungeons though. But no hurry.

Which is why I like this game. I like other games like wow and stor but after awhile I feel like I have to play because I'm paying. It's a game not a fucking job.

Plus Charr rule fuck the other races!

I can level pretty fast when I actually care about it. Last night I went from 50 to 55 in an hour or so. I just get caught up in hitting shit with other shit and laughing at shit. In other words I like wonder around. I'm not in any rush. I would like to start doing dungeons though. But no hurry.

Which is why I like this game. I like other games like wow and stor but after awhile I feel like I have to play because I'm paying. It's a game not a fucking job.

Plus Charr rule fuck the other races!

Charr have the best PS in the game, my Sylvari main PS is boring...

Ricker

There's no such thing as a main server.

What I mean is the server I am on is Ehmry Bay...right now I can go(transfer)as I please to an Euro server.If I create a new character,it's on Ehmry Bay,everything is on there,I can't make one guy on a Euro server and 1 guy on Ehmry Bay...so that's why I call it main server...I can do this transfer thing 10 times a day now but starting tomorrow,only once...can I do a back and forth at least is what I want to know...

Kingbrave

Charr have the best PS in the game, my Sylvari main PS is boring...

The only problem I have with my Charr is that for some reason the left eyelash keeps clipping with the eye. In real life due to some nerve damage my left eyelid doesn't come all the way up and the eye is lazy. I didn't intend for that to happen but it's still kinda funny.

If I'm gonna act like an ass might as well change my avatar to reflect said assnessessess...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The charr eye problem seems to only pop out during char creation.

And yeah, charr has awesome ps along with asura. Something along the lines of not being boring unlike humans hahahaha

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I'm not the only one? I thought I was special!

Yeah it's noticeable. Rotating the character shows that it seems to be more of the angle during character creation that causes it.

Also why do the hyleks sound like Slippy Toad?

SorchaR

I hate this game. Don't get me wrong, I like the combat, the PQs are a better way to hide the questing grind IMO, WvW has been fun when I've played it, the community actually has been very good, etc. So why do I hate it?

I can't find a F'n class that I like!!! I've tried them all but necros and ele and there's always something I dislike. My two highest classes are mesmer and warrior. Maybe I should just pick one and power to 80.

/rant

I've had that before in other MMOs. Sometimes you just can't find your groove :(

Have you tried using different weapons? I find that that can make a big difference in GW2. A warrior with a rifle feels very different from a warrior with sword and shield, and a mesmer with sword/pistol play differently from scepter/focus for example.

Concept17

Don't rush it, on the pve side there is pretty much nothing to do at 80 unless you enjoy the dungeons. I wish there were more level 80 zones, like at least a zone for each race. The orr area gets old really fast, and other then a few cool locals it's pretty ugly too.

This is the approach I'll take when I finally pick the game up. The fact that pvp is an even playing field means I have no reason to rush to 80. Also it sounds like people really enjoying exploring the world and that Anet did a good job of making it interesting. On top of this I'm an aspiring game artist (working on my first game now) and the work the artists do at Anet is in a league of its own imo, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing everything. Hell the animations of each race already have me completely torn as to which I'll pick.

Things like raids, top tier items, and any sort of heavy team-based reward system in order to properly compete with others are always what turn me away from these games.

Kingbrave

This is the approach I'll take when I finally pick the game up. The fact that pvp is an even playing field means I have no reason to rush to 80. Also it sounds like people really enjoying exploring the world and that Anet did a good job of making it interesting. On top of this I'm an aspiring game artist (working on my first game now) and the work the artists do at Anet is in a league of its own imo, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing everything. Hell the animations of each race already have me completely torn as to which I'll pick.

Things like raids, top tier items, and any sort of heavy team-based reward system in order to properly compete with others are always what turn me away from these games.

The reason I love MMO's is so I can run around exploring and uh...trolling people. I see a hill and I run up it to just see what's on the other side. If there happens to be a lil big eared fellow I tell him how much better he would do if he were in my stomach...or the tree people make excellent toothpicks...

usea

Any fast leveling tips? Maybe I kill too many mobs. Basically I just try to 100% all the zones, and doing the heart quests takes most of my time. I know you can level super quick by crafting, but it's such a huge pain that I've been putting it off. Some of my collection mats are maxed out at 250.

My main (necro) is only 28. I think I get about 1 level per hour.

Kingbrave

Any fast leveling tips? Maybe I kill too many mobs. Basically I just try to 100% all the zones, and doing the heart quests takes most of my time. I know you can level super quick by crafting, but it's such a huge pain that I've been putting it off. Some of my collection mats are maxed out at 250.

Instead of using waypoints I run to every heart location. I mine/chop/pick all the gathering things. I do all the POI/Vantage/Hearts when I come on them. Hell I run up and help people kill stuff even if I don't need it. Most of the time I'm thru with the zone before I even hit the cap for it so I run to another zone to do things. I also vendor everything I get unless it's got a rune/sigil that I want. Or it's orange. I'm sitting on 2 gold right now I think. I haven't done any crafting. Also personal story gives loads of xp.

Edit: I'm disabled so I have nothing better to do then sit here and play when I feel like it, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

ok i just hit level 11 lol... beginning to wonder, are there ANY super low level instances/dungeons kinda like the dead mines in WoW or something here?

Deitus

100%ing zones is certainly a start, but make sure you are doing events in the area and not just the hearts. Killing mobs in general isn't great exp, but you do get bonus exp for killing enemies who have been alive for awhile, so killing a few out of the way mobs can give decent exp rewards. Gather all the nodes. Personal story gives nice exp rewards. Dungeons also give huge amounts of exp, and you can start doing those at 30. WvW is also not a bad source of exp, so long as you are completing events there and not being locked into an eternal stalemate.

But really, the best thing I can tell you is not to worry about leveling up fast. There's not really any reason to rush to 80 in this game. The benefits for hitting the level cap are minimal. You are better off just taking your time and enjoying the game, rather than rushing to 80 and saying "now what?"

Sora_N

gw001_zpsb81c7244.jpg

I had to work 2 jobs last night, didn't get to play. I just made a char before I passed out in bed (Thief). Can't wait to get home in 7 hours to play!

Concept17

The reason I love MMO's is so I can run around exploring and uh...trolling people. I see a hill and I run up it to just see what's on the other side. If there happens to be a lil big eared fellow I tell him how much better he would do if he were in my stomach...or the tree people make excellent toothpicks...

Yup, its something I always do, but its been super predictable with most MMOs. In fact not since Asheron's Call have I really felt any excitement when exploring the world.

arimanius

I've had that before in other MMOs. Sometimes you just can't find your groove :(

Have you tried using different weapons? I find that that can make a big difference in GW2. A warrior with a rifle feels very different from a warrior with sword and shield, and a mesmer with sword/pistol play differently from scepter/focus for example.

I have on a few of them. Probably not as much as I should. Part of it is some classes I find ok in PvE but horrible in WvW and vice versa.

Deitus

I have on a few of them. Probably not as much as I should. Part of it is some classes I find ok in PvE but horrible in WvW and vice versa.

You can't really say you've tried out a class unless you've used all of their weapon sets. Really, that should be the first thing you do when trying out a new class, is unlock all of the weapon skills.

A Ranger with a longbow is practically a completely different class from a Ranger with a greatsword. If you are feeling undecided about your class choice, you really owe it to yourself to try out the different weapon sets of the classes you are considering.

arimanius

You can't really say you've tried out a class unless you've used all of their weapon sets. Really, that should be the first thing you do when trying out a new class, is unlock all of the weapon skills.

A Ranger with a longbow is practically a completely different class from a Ranger with a greatsword. If you are feeling undecided about your class choice, you really owe it to yourself to try out the different weapon sets of the classes you are considering.

I'll explain better on what I meant. I have unlock all the weapon skills and have done some pvp with all the classes I've tried. What I mean by I have on a few is on 4 of them (Mesmer, Warrior, Ranger, Engineer) I have gotten them to a decent level and really sat down and try to figure out the inner workings like combo starters and finisher, which skills work well together, etc. I haven't put that much thought into some of the other classes.

Never understood why anyone would rush to Max Level instead of enjoying the game. stop to smell the roses people.

It's a problem with our culture really. People are so focused on the destination that they forget to enjoy the journey. It's a major cliche but it's so true. Progression is meaningless if you dont try to get the best out of it and have the most fun with it. People are way to occupied thinking in being effective, strong, entitled and all of those things.

I don't understand why people can't engage in long term goals in reasonable paces. Nobody said you had to run the same dungeon 300 times right after each other. Do other things in between. get 100% in zones, work on achievements, do pvp, do crafting, do wvw. take a break. play when you feel like it. start another character. if not feel like it, take a break and come back when you want to play again.

It's a problem with our culture really. People are so focused on the destination that they forget to enjoy the journey. It's a major cliche but it's so true. Progression is meaningless if you dont try to get the best out of it and have the most fun with it. People are way to occupied thinking in being effective, strong, entitled and all of those things.

I don't understand why people can't engage in long term goals in reasonable paces. Nobody said you had to run the same dungeon 300 times right after each other. Do other things in between. get 100% in zones, work on achievements, do pvp, do crafting, do wvw. take a break. play when you feel like it. start another character. if not feel like it, take a break and come back when you want to play again.

There is nothing wrong with "our" culture. People all have their own goals in games, even if it's getting to max level in a short amount of time. If the journey offered them something they actually enjoyed, they would do it. Most people are not brainless masochists.

inky

It's funny how low level people think level 80s are just rushing through things without "enjoying the ride" (I don't really see what culture has to do with anything either). You think we powerleveled or something? I've done all of those things: 100%ing areas including cities (up to 75% world completion), jumping puzzles, a lot of WvW (around 400 kills), PvP (about 25 matches), crafting (1 prof 400, 1 prof 250), very few dungeons (all of them story mode only, 2 times explorable mode for AC) and most of them after I got to 80 anyway. I've been 80 for a long time now, in fact even after buying every skill ability, I've still got ~100 SP more, many of them while gaining levels beyond 80.

More like you guys are really too fucking slow or doing god knows what, and on top of that you think you are still playing the game "properly" while everyone else is jut rushing through it (playing it wrong). Just walking around gives you XP, A single high level dungeon run gives you 150k exp as a reward, plus the mobs/bosses kills of course. In fact, I would say it is more of a mystery how you guys manage NOT to get to 80 already.

Vossler

I think it's more having the time than anything else (getting to 80). I really only have one night to play, and mebbe some time here and there during the week. I'm only level 53, and I've been trying to level as quickly as I can. Some peeps jsut have more time to devote to it than others.

inky

Time constraints are understandable of course. I haven't had time to play regularly (other than login and check the TP) for most of this week.

I just think that putting it down to how wrong our culture is (whatever that means) because we rush through it, and don't have fun, and are playing the game wrong is kind of laughable and makes little sense. Especially when the game is so XP friendly.

Ferrio

Banned
Was talking to a friend.....

16:01 <him> hah so figured out another way to get rich quick in GW2
16:07 <ferrio> so what's that
16:09 <him> ygo to the southern area of Cursed Shore where ori nodes spawn
16:09 <him> mine them, log to char select, change server, repeat
16:09 <ferrio> that's exploity
16:09 <him> one guy got 90 ori ore one evenign doing that
16:09 <him> barely

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"barely" lol. It's quite amazing how many people don't know/care what exploiting is. MMO companies need to stop being so lenient with exploiters.

Was talking to a friend.....

16:01 <him> hah so figured out another way to get rich quick in GW2
16:07 <ferrio> so what's that
16:09 <him> ygo to the southern area of Cursed Shore where ori nodes spawn
16:09 <him> mine them, log to char select, change server, repeat
16:09 <ferrio> that's exploity
16:09 <him> one guy got 90 ori ore one evenign doing that
16:09 <him> barely

Well that will end soon, Anet plans to limit server selection soon...

Shambles

"barely" lol. It's quite amazing how many people don't know/care what exploiting is. MMO companies need to stop being so lenient with exploiters.

Players are just playing within the rule set they are given. Don't want players to do an action? Don't program your game to make that available to them. I don't give a shit about having to divine some sort of 'developer morality' every time I do something beneficial in fear of getting banned.

I would say its less to do with culture and more to do with the fact that in most MMOs you are expected to be max level to be competitive with most of the other players.

GW2 sidesteps this in many ways with the level scaling, but there's still some degree of it. A level 80 char downscaled to 30, but with maxed gear and traits is going to be more effective than a regular level 30 char (in dungeons, WvW, etc.). I'm not someone who needs to get the the "endgame" as soon as possible, but I'm still ready to hit 80 just so I can stop worry about upgrading my gear, missing trait points, etc.

It's funny how low level people think level 80s are just rushing through things without "enjoying the ride" (I don't really see what culture has to do with anything either). You think we powerleveled or something? I've done all of those things: 100%ing areas including cities (up to 75% world completion), jumping puzzles, a lot of WvW (around 400 kills), PvP (about 25 matches), crafting (1 prof 400, 1 prof 250), very few dungeons (all of them story mode only, 2 times explorable mode for AC) and most of them after I got to 80 anyway. I've been 80 for a long time now, in fact even after buying every skill ability, I've still got ~100 SP more, many of them while gaining levels beyond 80.

This too, it's really easy to level in this game just by doing anything (unless you're doing sPvP exclusively). It's perfectly reasonable for someone playing one character regularly since launch to have hit 80 with no need to grind/powerlevel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom