• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concept17

Are there any rangers out there who focus a lot on melee? Or even as much as using range? I'm curious as I like to play a nice mix of both, and still be a viable build.

Achtius

I do for my thief, I can't even afford repairs right now.

How are people making cash dammit.

Run dungeons/event & don't play squishy class XD

I can't afford waypoints! WAYPOINTS!!!! Q_Q

1) Go to The Mist
2) Go to Lions Arch Asura gate
3) Use the Asura gate to go to the closest town that is near your desired waypoint
4) Go to waypoint

You will save like 1-2s each time :3

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
1) Go to The Mist
3) Use the Asura gate to go to the closest town that is near your desired waypoint
4) Go to waypoint

I...will do this! ^_^

Fishious

Are there any rangers out there who focus a lot on melee? Or even as much as using range? I'm curious as I like to play a nice mix of both, and still be a viable build.

Yep, that's totally how I play. I use Greatsword/Shortbow and typically run into groups of mobs and swing away. If things get too hairy I switch to shortbow and get some distance on the enemies. Once they've thinned out I usually go back into melee. The great thing about using greatsword with a ranged weapon is swoop has a range of 1100 so you just need to take a few steps forward and you can leap into melee. I find that I'm pretty survivable with a bear pet to take hits for me. The play style is definitely doable, but I'm no expert on builds so I can't really speak to where it sits in comparison to other builds.

Achtius

I go Sword/dagger & Shortbow

I switch between sword/dagger & shortbow for non boss
I use shortbow exclusively on boss

Run dungeons/event & don't play squishy class XD

1) Go to The Mist
4) Go to waypoint

Still doing this at lvl 80, every silver counts :p

Also if you wanna be cheap, use Lion's Arch Asura gates to go to the starter city closest to your destination (i.e. If I need to go to Orr, I'll gate to the Grove first :p or if I need to go to Fireheart Rise, I'll gate to Black Citadel :p)

Achtius

Still doing this at lvl 80, every silver counts :p

Also if you wanna be cheap, use Lion's Arch Asura gates to go to the starter city closest to your destination (i.e. If I need to go to Orr, I'll gate to the Grove first :p or if I need to go to Fireheart Rise, I'll gate to Black Citadel :p)

that's what i meant by 3) Use the Asura gate to go to the closest town that is near your desired waypoint, I wasn't clear.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For anyone who is interested in utilizing the custom soundtrack feature, WeltallZero (of Controller-GAF fame) developed a small app to take some of the legwork out of organizing/creating playlists for this purpose: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6PdDgkbBTUlpdjRzT01KTUE/edit (requires java)

I have an enormous amount of affection for Jeremy Soule, so all I've done so far is replace the main menu theme with Epic Struggle (aka the instrumental version of Fear Not This Night). Eventually I'm sure I'll want to mix it up and it's nice to be able to categorize the tracks contextually.

usea

I turn music off in many games, especially MMOs. I did it before I even logged in, so I've never heard the music.

1) Go to The Mist
4) Go to waypoint

If you don't have an SSD, the time spent doing this could probably be better spent doing something that earns money. You'd come out ahead.

How is the Gaf guild? I just started last week, still guild-less. I have a ~24 necro, been doing a decent amount of spvp.

Cory_t_

It's probably important to make a distinction between the different types of dragons in GW2. There are the elder dragons Zhaitan, Kralkatorrik, Jormag, Primorius, and some other unnamed dude who threw the world into chaos. At this point only Zhaitan and his minions are really important to the plot or even really present at all. There are also lesser dragons who are champions for the elder dragons. Tequatl, the Shatterer, and the Claw of Jormag are currently fightable.

Rip-off of my WoW name, clearly! Primordius the Undead Mage.

Ken

If you showed me a random clip of GW2 music without telling me it's from GW2, even after 200+ hours of playtime I couldn't tell you where it played and what game it's from.

Retro

How is the Gaf guild? I just started last week, still guild-less. I have a ~24 necro, been doing a decent amount of spvp.

GAFGuild is going fine, we just removed a bunch of inactive players to free up additional room, and there's always the overflow guild as well. And as always, people are welcome on Mumble (info in the old OP) and at Gafguild.com

Rip-off of my WoW name, clearly! Primordius the Undead Mage.

Actually, Fish made a typo and it's actually closer to your character's name; Primordus

If you showed me a random clip of GW2 music without telling me it's from GW2, even after 200+ hours of playtime I couldn't tell you where it played and what game it's from.
Completely agreed here.

It's super-generic Soule stuff. I liked Skyrim a whole lot more (actually, it's my favorite of the Soule soundtracks, and he has a LOT of them). Thinking I'll just stick Skyrim tracks into the custom soundtrack thingy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Completely agreed here.

It's super-generic Soule stuff. I liked Skyrim a whole lot more (actually, it's my favorite of the Soule soundtracks, and he has a LOT of them). Thinking I'll just stick Skyrim tracks into the custom soundtrack thingy.

Only for Lornar's Pass of course.

usea

My characters (necro, mesmer)
ShjON.jpg

9SawJ.jpg

Fishious

GAFGuild is going fine, we just removed a bunch of inactive players to free up additional room, and there's always the overflow guild as well. And as always, people are welcome on Mumble (info in the old OP) and at Gafguild.com

Actually, Fish made a typo and it's actually closer to your character's name; Primordus

Well crap. I went through the trouble of checking my spelling for the other dragons and that's the one I mess up.

Beepos

It seems a lot of people here did not come from GW1 where the progression was the challenge of completing the missions and making new builds with skills.

I still don't get the progression argument. It's not like your typical MMO but I didn't expect it be with my time playing the original and with Anet's design philisophy I knew what to expect. Shame other people didn't.

scosher

Any other sword/sword mesmer out there for PvE? I honestly feel it may be the best tank in the game. 2s evasion every 8 sec, a block skill that can be converted into an interrupt, two leap finishers to combo a bunch of different armor spells. This isn't even counting shatter distortion, utility skills or traits, particularly precision's vigor on crit and toughness' 3% reduced dmg per active illusion. In dungeons, I often find I am always the last one standing.

Guardian probably edges out, but mesmer tanks might be right up there with them.

etiolate

Banned
Any other sword/sword mesmer out there for PvE? I honestly feel it may be the best tank in the game. 2s evasion every 8 sec, a block skill that can be converted into an interrupt, two leap finishers to combo a bunch of different armor spells. This isn't even counting shatter distortion, utility skills or traits, particularly precision's vigor on crit and toughness' 3% reduced dmg per active illusion. In dungeons, I often find I am always the last one standing.

Guardian probably edges out, but mesmer tanks might be right up there with them.

Yes, I sword/sword. For tanky puproses, I normally couple it with staff and not scepter, though you can couple it with scepter/torch. I feel Signet of Inspiration is good if you're going that route.

docbon

Hey Tekno, could you add the mumble info to the new OP? The second post in the old thread can't be quoted anymore since the thread is locked.

Xiaoki

It seems a lot of people here did not come from GW1 where the progression was the challenge of completing the missions and making new builds with skills.

I still don't get the progression argument. It's not like your typical MMO but I didn't expect it be with my time playing the original and with Anet's design philisophy I knew what to expect. Shame other people didn't.

Thats great and that kind of "progression" may work for an Online Co-op RPG but not a MMORPG.

Everything is different for MMORPGs so how ArenaNet did things with GW1 has little to no bearing on how things people will be expecting them to be done in GW2.

So, ArenaNet can continue to do things just like they did in GW1 but they will also continue to come into conflict with a portion of the community. The response to their anti-farming changes and dungeon changes proves this.

Cronnie

I was running around with the greatsword for a while, works pretty well in PvE.

etiolate

Banned
Thats great and that kind of "progression" may work for an Online Co-op RPG but not a MMORPG.

Everything is different for MMORPGs so how ArenaNet did things with GW1 has little to no bearing on how things people will be expecting them to be done in GW2.

So, ArenaNet can continue to do things just like they did in GW1 but they will also continue to come into conflict with a portion of the community. The response to their anti-farming changes and dungeon changes proves this.

There is no reason that sort of progression doesn't belong in a MMO.

scosher

Yes, I sword/sword. For tanky puproses, I normally couple it with staff and not scepter, though you can couple it with scepter/torch. I feel Signet of Inspiration is good if you're going that route.

Yeah I think Staff is definitely better, since a lot of the buffs/debuffs are useful irrespective of your condition damage on gear, which is pretty much zero for sword/sword. Plus Staff is just a good overall defensive weapon.

Sword/Sword also has the benefit of dealing out pretty damn good damage while tanking.

Shrennin

There is no reason that sort of progression doesn't belong in a MMO.

I know. It's like people think the game is dying because of it. It isn't. Sales still seem to be thriving. The Walmart that I go to seems to constantly run out of stock on the game. This game is an MMO meant for MMO players looking for something different and for non-MMO players.

Beepos

Says who? You? Works fine for me and I enjoying the game MUCH more then my few months playing WoW.

Like I said, Anet have their own design and the game is a MMO and a RPG so it fills the definition. If it doesn't have the progession that YOU wanted from a MMORPG then look elsewhere, you were never going to get it from Guild Wars.

01DragonFly

Hey Tekno, could you add the mumble info to the new OP? The second post in the old thread can't be quoted anymore since the thread is locked.
I like to go the extra mile

The Mumble address appears at the top of this post when quoted.

Mumble Info:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF name so everyone knows who you are!

Ferny said:
bannerxvyypy.png

Gaming Age Force [GAF] (or "GAFGuild") is the official NeoGAF presence within Guild Wars 2. We will be a fairly casual guild but will have our hands on different aspects of the game including WvW/PvP, dungeon runs, among other things. Membership is entirely optional but is encouraged, as we are offering many useful services.

tempx3uo0.png

The easiest way to get an invite to the guild is to whisper an officer or GM in-game with the </w name message> command (e.g. "/w <officer> Hey, this is <username>, can I get an invite"). This makes it so we can simply right-click your name in chat and invite you from there. Officer names will be posted as soon as we have them secured and will be posted IN THIS SPACE:

Ferny: Ferny
Hawkian: Hawkian The Blade
Jira: Gojira
Kayos09: Shadow Kayos
Maxrpg: Ashodin Venteal
Mulligan (EU): Name not reserved.
Naito (EU): Name not reserved.
Retro: Professor Retro
Warrior_Keoni: Nephenee Reginleif

REMEMBER:
/w <officer name> Hey this is <your GAF name>, can I get an invite?

temp26suw7.png

Guild Website
To keep the official thread as on-topic as possible, and to aid in event planning and community building, we have created a separate guild website; GAFGuild.com. Registration is quick and easy, and grants access to features such as an event calendar, profession-specific discussion and

Guild Mumble
Gaming Age Force uses Mumble for all voice communication.
The address appears at the top of this post when quoted.
Please use your GAF name when logging in so we know who you are.

Guild Twitter
Stay up to date on GW2 and guild information by following @GAFGuild.

Guild Steam Group
We also have a steam group that anyone can join for the guild at GAFWars2.

Guild Emblem
This is the symbol you'll see on your arms and armor, and flying from banners in WvW. The original emblem was suggested by Piecake, flipped by Chapel, and the appearance of the N/G was noticed by Lump of Cole.
guildemblem4lkyl.jpg
emblem2r6kn5.png

banner__1531jtp.png

We&#8217;ll be using GAF&#8217;s rules as a basis for our own policy in-game, since everyone should be quite familiar with them already. Not every rule will transfer over exactly, but a good rule of thumb is, if it would get you banned on NeoGAF, it will probably get you kicked out of GAFGuild.

One noteworthy difference is that the GAFGuild has a Zero Tolerance policy on Drama. The guild is meant to be a place for GAFers to play together and we know disagreements are bound to happen, but anyone intentionally holding grudges, starting arguments or causing trouble within the guild will be dealt with swiftly. The worst thing that can happen is one person ruining the atmosphere and attitude within the guild and hurting it in the long run. Our goal is just to have a friendly guild where people can log in and have a good time with fellow GAFers without having to face a lot of drama.

You should also provide your GAF Username in your Personal Note (or GW2 equivalent) so we know who everyone is on both the forums and in-game.

Non-GAF Membership
We know that several of you have friends and family you want to play Guild Wars 2 with that may not be part of the GAF Community. There will likely be players who are still pending account approval as well. Friends and family of GAF Members are welcome to join as long as they are vouched for by a member. We will likely ask that non-members list who vouched for them in their Personal note (or GW2 equivalent) so we know roughly where everyone is coming from.

Those awaiting GAF approval should contact one of the Officers or GMs in-game for an invite. GAFGuild cannot do anything about the wait time for approval.
banner__164tjtr.png

Unlike most Guilds, GAFGuild&#8217;s ranks are meant to be as fair and simple as possible.

At the head of the guild are the GMs, who have the most control over the guild. We currently have two volunteers serving as co-leaders.

After the GMs are the Officers, those who have exhibited their knowledge of the game and willingness to help others. Officers are not &#8216;better&#8217; than regular members and are there only to answer questions, keep the peace and perform basic guild management. It is worth noting that GMs and Officers are required to have additional account security (as applicable) to ensure the Guild is not hacked and plundered.

Members are players who are GAF Members or who have been vouched for by a member. Members can recruit players into the guild, but cannot promote them above Recruit status for security reasons; please ask an officer to change their personal note and increase their rank for you. Members who vouch for players who later engage in unscrupulous behavior may be asked to make reparations (replacing items stolen from the bank, for example).

Finally, there are Recruits. This is the rank for players who have not had their GAF Account approved or who have been recruited at the request of a member but have not had their Personal/Private note edited to reflect this. Recruits are not considered &#8216;lower&#8217; than members and should not be treated as such. The only difference between a recruit and a member is slightly limited bank access to ensure security.

banner__14mtk6i.png

GM: Ferny, Jira
Officers: Retro, Hawkian, Kayos90, Maxrpg, Warrior_Keoni, Mulligan (EU), Naito (EU)

Xiaoki

Says who? You? Works fine for me and I enjoying the game MUCH more then my few months playing WoW.

Like I said, Anet have their own design and the game is a MMO and a RPG so it fills the definition. If it doesn't have the progession that YOU wanted from a MMORPG then look elsewhere, you were never going to get it from Guild Wars.

Well, it seems ArenaNet agrees with me and the rest of the people on the official message boards

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...eward-System-Overhaul-Needed/first#post193458

"we’re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons."

Robert Hrouda
Content Designer

Beepos

Well, it seems ArenaNet agrees with me and the rest of the people on the official message boards

Sigh...

So you're complaining about gear? Better rewards isn't going to change the game the way you want it. It's nice there is going to be better gear progression, but it's never going to be like WoW.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...eward-System-Overhaul-Needed/first#post193458

"we&#8217;re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons."

Robert Hrouda
Content Designer
That's them talking about the incredible amount of grinding required to get dungeon sets (especially with the diminishing returns system), not the progression system itself that caps out at level 80 exotics (and then legendaries, but who cares about those?).

Edit: Seriously, did you read the posts you quoted? Because that doesn't say anything like what you want to imagine they're saying.

Shrennin

"we’re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons."

Robert Hrouda
Content Designer

...Okay? The dungeon system /=/ the entire progression system that works really well. ArenaNet does not want to change that and all developers go through tweaks to their current systems. It doesn't prove anything about your statement on how the progression system conflicts with MMO design.

Xiaoki

Sigh...

So you're complaining about gear? Better rewards isn't going to change the game the way you want it. It's nice there is going to be better gear progression, but it's never going to be like WoW.

WoW? Why do you keep going on about WoW? I never said anything about WoW so do you keep bringing up WoW?

inky

Their progression -> reward system overall is pretty bad. I know that proper balance needs a shitload of testing, but like I've said before, they give away a lot for almost nothing early on, then they ramp it up so steeply that you are wondering if this is even the same game. They want to discourage grind too, but many rewards are only achieved through grind, so there's a heavy disconnect there.

It will take time, but hopefully it will get there.

Beepos

WoW? Why do you keep going on about WoW? I never said anything about WoW so do you keep bringing up WoW?

I never said you did... It's just the most popular 'traditional' progression based MMO at the moment and it seems that's what you want or what you're going on about in MMO design. And as others have you said you completly missed the point of your last quote so I won't even bother going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom