• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So being as I've sort of taken it upon myself to be the guild guinea pig for carelessness/silliness/experimentation regarding ascended items (I accidentally created Book of Secrets when I wanted Quiver of Swift Flight), I just thought I'd share:

It occurs to me that I shouldn't have transmuted my Book of Secrets before upgrading it to the infused version. Haven't been able to test yet of course, but I think that now, either I can't use my book in the forge to upgrade at all, or if the recipe still works, I'd lose the Halloween skin in the exchange.

Anyway, I wound up with this:
jIxKqJfq5YkYb.png

And in the aftermath, here's some general info on Ascended back pieces and Ascended stuff in general.

Ways to Get an Ascended Back Piece
1. Buy and Upgrade a Fractal Capacitor
2. Directly forge a Book or Quiver using T6 Mats

For those that don't know, once you have an ascended back piece, there's another (incredibly expensive) recipe to give it "pre-baked" agony resistance. It'll be called Such and Such (Infused). I think I screwed myself out of the ability to do that with this piece. Note: any infusion you place into a back piece is removed as part of the cost of upgrading to the infused version, so stick with Simple infusions until you actually get the infused version (or unless you're dumb, like me).

Sort of a bummer, but it has the "regular" stats (unrelated to agony) I've always wanted, so I sort of decided that I'll use it as my "everyday" back piece- right stats, can unhide to light jumping puzzles, will throw a nice precisevital infusion in it eventually or so, and not worry about pre-infusing it. It'll keep me going through tier 2 fractals no problem.

Then I'll eventually get one of the +tough/vit quivers to actually infuse and use in higher-level fractals when I'd have to gear for survivability anyway. Plus, I really only ever use the shortbow in support spec, so it'd make sense visually that way too.

It fits into my character's horizontal progression too- eventually I'll just have another armor slot to right-click when switching builds.

General stuff/thoughts about ascended gear from the experience:
-Even though this was really a ton of work to get and I got the wrong piece like an idiot (luckily it had the right stats and the bonus of a def. infusion slot), I must say I really enjoyed the experience of assembling everything together, slowly building up my stacks of blood and ectos over time, then going for it all at once with all my gold-on-hand at the end (and thanks again to Antigens for getting me the final pieces! GAFGuild4lyfe! <3) Plus it's cool knowing I have an item that only a handful of other people in the guild have. It sort of made me understand why people put all the effort required into getting a legendary. The payoff is actually really exciting when you're done.

-I still have two rings to compound my character with, but on the "vertical progression makes me want to strangle a ferret" angle: anyone freaking out about the stat boost provided by the current batch of ascended gear is quite frankly hysterical, and not just in the good way that means funny. I made quite a big jump with this upgrade- from a green back piece with stats I didn't care about to an Ascended version with "perfect" stats- and I have to say I really don't feel noticeably stronger. There's a really important thing that people neglect in these arguments, and that's this: no matter what the future brings, best-in-slot gear is not a limiting factor in GW2. It's not not a significant change to the stat total. This definitely makes etiolate's point valid, why have the token stat boost at all? I think ANet's answer would be that for every person who would prefer no stat increase ever, there's an account telling them they're bored with fully maxed gear and have nothing to work toward. It's a compromise, and one that seems silly for the time being but I do still have faith in them.

-I think that with all the chaos over there being vertical progression of any sort, players miss out on the immeasurably more important point of how important vertical progression is to success. Last night, to do fractals with my level 72 mesmer, my gear was rare, but outdated- about 10 levels old. Before the run I kitted him out in pure GREEN level 70 gear- armor and weapons, for a total of about 14 silver. Someone from that run: back me up that I soloed like 5 veteran krait and saved us at that one part :p I don't know how to put it a simpler way: this isn't PR-speak, skill really is more important than gear in Guild Wars 2. I don't have enough experience with other MMOs to understand how much it really differs from them. But if you have gear at your level and are having a ton of trouble with some kind of content, the odds quite good that improving your gear is not suddenly going to make it a cakewalk. The most vertical progression that occurs in this game comes from your vertical progression in skill as a player. For example, when I first started experimenting with scepter on my Mesmer, I had no concept of timing the Shatters- now, doing a Mind Wrack before the 3rd Ether Bolt hit; hitting Cry of Frustration while channeling Confusing Images; building up 3 trash clones, swapping to sword, hitting Distortion and then Blurred Frenzy for like an hour of invulnerability- all second-nature. Can't tell you how little my gear had to do with any of this (though when I get my Centaur and Grenth sets it'll change my character forever- but that's pure horizontal progression).

-The "special" infusion recipes are way too expensive. Way, way too expensive. Look at this:
A simple infusion gets you the same +5 agony resist for like 1.5 fractal relics or something (not really, but they're pretty damn cheap). You're paying gold and gold and gold for an extra +5 to the stat of your choice. They are the ultimate prestige items, and you literally cannot see them on your character. The possibility of pursuing one of these right now is hilarious. On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that all of this- all of it- is sort of the "first wave" Ascended gear, intentionally, stupidly tough to get for the "hardcore" crowd, and all generations of future Ascended gear and infusions will be trivially easy to get in comparison. I mention this by way of some advice: only go for super-expensive ascended gear right now if you're not going to be pissed when it's easier to get later on.

So that's my post on Ascended gear, having obtained my first piece. I hope you don't perceive what I've said as attempting to defend its inclusion in the game. I'm just describing its implementation since it's already here and moving forward and thinking about the future is infinitely better than whining about the aspects of the present we dislike.

edit: "Ways to Make Gold" post is coming soon, including some I hadn't learned about in time to use to help me buy this piece!

Relative MMO noob and this might be a dumb question but why the general dislike for LFG chat channels or tools or whatever?

Kinda annoying if I have an hour to play and I really want to run a particular dungeon I spend a half hour spamming map chat with little success. Is it bad that I want some type of matchmaking?

Vossler

Relative MMO noob and this might be a dumb question but why the general dislike for LFG chat channels or tools or whatever?

Kinda annoying if I have an hour to play and I really want to run a particular dungeon I spend a half hour spamming map chat with little success. Is it bad that I want some type of matchmaking?

Use gw2lfg.com.....will cut down on time searching for dungeons considerably.

Abandond

gw2lfg.com

Also, cant wait for Thursday. We better get a Wintersday* dungeon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

No general dislike here, use gw2lfg.com and never look back. Don't think I've had to wait more than 20 minutes for any relatively non-obscure dungeon path since the site took off.
Finally was able to afford my tier 3 assassin coat.....now need to work up the monies for the mask. Although, thinking ima save some moeny for Wintersday and all that it entails.

Leveling my alts is taking forever....keep getting dristracted by fractal and easy dungeon runs...
Once you hit 30ish and can do AC with the alt it becomes quite a bit more enjoyable. Wish the silver didn't scale down but whaddyagonnado. The XP is goooooood.

edit: Working on how to allocate my "final" mesmer traits. Not easy. There are so many I want badly. So weird that "malice" is not used anywhere in the game- at all- except for one mesmer trait description. Lol. Somebody really needs to take an afternoon at work and edit though descriptions to be clearer.

Abandond

No general dislike here, use gw2lfg.com and never look back. Don't think I've had to wait more than 20 minutes for any relatively non-obscure dungeon path since the site took off.

Once you hit 30ish and can do AC with the alt it becomes quite a bit more enjoyable. Wish the silver didn't scale down but whaddyagonnado. The XP is goooooood.

edit: Working on how to allocate my "final" mesmer traits. Not easy. There are so many I want badly. So weird that "malice" is not used anywhere in the game- at all- except for one mesmer trait description. Lol. Somebody really needs to take an afternoon at work and edit though descriptions to be clearer.
Yeah I recently went scepter/dagger on my elementalist and Im trying to figure out what traits to go with. I wish there was trait sets, I need an easier way to change traits for scepter/dagger in fotm/dungeons, dagger/dagger in pve, s/d in wvw, staff in fotm in certain areas.. Same reason why I want an easy way to swap armor and weapon sets out of combat.

Use gw2lfg.com.....will cut down on time searching for dungeons considerably.

gw2lfg.com

Also, cant wait for Thursday. We better get a Wintersday* dungeon.

Thanks. I just want to run the last two story mode dungeons dammit! Have to run Arah again cause I didn't advance my personal story far enough for it to register, grumble grumble...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I recently went scepter/dagger on my elementalist and Im trying to figure out what traits to go with. I wish there was trait sets, I need an easier way to change traits for scepter/dagger in fotm/dungeons, dagger/dagger in pve, s/d in wvw, staff in fotm in certain areas.. Same reason why I want an easy way to swap armor and weapon sets out of combat.
Re: traits/stats/skills- this was eventually added to GW and was GLORIOUS. I totally hope it happens and believe it will.

Re: weapons and armor- I'd like templates for those too of course, but the status quo is much much better than for traits- right click on the armor/weapon piece and click to equip the one you want. I can switch full armor/wep sets in well under 10 seconds. Traits are a lot more unwieldy, and trait points, well, short of buying a bunch of training books and keeping em on you (do they stack?) it isn't even possible.
Thanks. I just want to run the last two story mode dungeons dammit! Have to run Arah again cause I didn't advance my personal story far enough for it to register, grumble grumble...
Erm, wait for me. Did the same thing :p

Some people are against them thanks to bad experiences with WoW and other MMOs mainly due to loot rolls and bad pugs. That isn't really a problem here but the stigma is still around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
uVweK.png

This is such a good trait for my build and I've overlooked it like 200 times. I need to spec to have it at 80. I think it's the way it's phrased and the silly name that made me ignore it. If it said "The Prestige and Counterspell now cause 5 seconds of confusion" I would have been all the hell over it.

pyrandes

uVweK.png

This is such a good trait for my build and I've overlooked it like 200 times. I need to spec to have it at 80. I think it's the way it's phrased and the silly name that made me ignore it. If it said "The Prestige and Counterspell now cause 5 seconds of confusion" I would have been all the hell over it.

Also Trick Shot if you like pistols ;) (up to two confusion stacks that way if a field is up)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No pistols or foci for me, but that's very cool :)

Mesmers and thieves (the only two classes I've spent a lot of time with) have very much impressed in the sense that literally every weapon combo seems viable, if not completely awesome.

Abandond

Re: traits/stats/skills- this was eventually added to GW and was GLORIOUS. I totally hope it happens and believe it will.

Re: weapons and armor- I'd like templates for those too of course, but the status quo is much much better than for traits- right click on the armor/weapon piece and click to equip the one you want. I can switch full armor/wep sets in well under 10 seconds. Traits are a lot more unwieldy, and trait points, well, short of buying a bunch of training books and keeping em on you (do they stack?) it isn't even possible.

Erm, wait for me. Did the same thing :p
I think what I find most annoying about swapping armor and weapons is that the fastest way to do it is to use your character pane and when you use that method it places the items you unequip to the to top of your inventory.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think what I find most annoying about swapping armor and weapons is that the fastest way to do it is to use your character pane and when you use that method it places the items you unequip to the to top of your inventory.
I figured it swapped the item you unequipped with the one you equipped; actually I was pretty sure about this, though I didn't test it. Even if it does send them to the top, what's the big deal about that?

Rawk Hawk

I figured it swapped the item you unequipped with the one you equipped; actually I was pretty sure about this, though I didn't test it. Even if it does send them to the top, what's the big deal about that?

If you swap a 2 hander for two 1 handers, it wouldn't. Most of the time people don't like that because it doesn't put the equipment in an invisible bag and might be accidentally sold.

I believe you can make the first bag an invisible bag, but your other junk might end up filling it up fast. Unless you have all different types of bags, I suppose.

Abandond

Its not that much of a big deal, it just means that I always have to reorganize my inventory whenever I swap my pieces around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Its not that much of a big deal, it just means that I always have to reorganize my inventory whenever I swap my pieces around.
Oh, I don't ever shuffle my armor sets around my inventory very well. I just right click on the piece to swap and don't think about where it's getting pulled from or put to. I never vendor anything exotic or rare, so that's not an issue (though I have almost accidentally sold my Masterwork MF gear, so I take your point :)).

Abandond

Oh, I don't ever shuffle my armor sets around my inventory very well. I just right click on the piece to swap and don't think about where it's getting pulled from or put to. I never vendor anything exotic or rare, so that's not an issue (though I have almost accidentally sold my Masterwork MF gear, so I take your point :)).
Yea, it'd just be convenient.
Maybe a gem shop item would be a nice solution. Marks an item as do not sell, 25 gems a piece, 100 gems for 5 or something. Id buy a few.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yea, it'd just be convenient.
Maybe a gem shop item would be a nice solution. Marks an item as do not sell, 25 gems a piece, 100 gems for 5 or something. Id buy a few.
Damn solid idea, I'm gonna bring that up next time I see kristen on!

I really need to stay away because it is sort of you know crushing my soul into crystalline dust, but man people are so fucking cynical :'(

From the official forums (in response to "No, ANet really is going to offer other ways to get ascended gear")
What would happen to FotM then? Nobody would ever bother doing it because its boring as kitten, only reason anyone does it now is for gear don’t kid yourselves.
I.. love the fractals <3 I'd do them even if relics/rings weren't part of the equation. Sometimes I feel like a outcast moron for actually enjoying the experience of playing more than the numerical increase associated with the potential rewards D:

Rawk Hawk

I really need to stay away because it is sort of you know crushing my soul into crystalline dust, but man people are so fucking cynical :'(

From the official forums (in response to "No, ANet really is going to offer other ways to get ascended gear")

I.. love the fractals <3 I'd do them even if relics/rings weren't part of the equation. Sometimes I feel like a outcast moron for actually enjoying the experience of playing more than the numerical increase associated with the potential rewards D:

As well you should, no one plays games for fun anymore, that was so 1990's.

Abandond

I have learned to stay far, far away from the forums and the subreddit when it comes to reading what people say. The amount of stupidity that you can read in thirty minutes is incredible. I also completely agree on fractals, I do not know a single person that does it for the gear alone. While some are dull as the fights arent that interesting (jellyfish, mossman as we bug him out, the tree) but those make up for it by only taking 5-10 minutes. Theyre great fun and the rewards are awesome, I would not have gotten so many lodestones & cores for my legendary without fotm.

I also know 4 people that I started the game with that quit because pvp doesnt have a gear treadmill and Im all like "What happenef to playing for fun, man?"

Ashodin

New WvW stuff in Wintersday:

Habeeb said:
Wintersday is coming and along with all the other goodies there will be a few updates to WvW. Some of these changes are the result of forum feedback while others are part of our longer term plans for WvW. Here&#8217;s a quick preview of what WvW will get for Wintersday:

Advance notification of new builds

In order to allow WvW players to make good decions about siege placement, assault timing, etc. we&#8217;re adding a new build pre-announcement. This will be in the form of a message broadcast to all players some time before the current build expires. Because this notification is tied to one of the final steps in our build process, and those final steps take a variable amount of time, we won&#8217;t be able to say exactly when the current build will expire. Instead, the message will provide a window of time in which the new build will become available.

Alt+F4 is no escape

If someone that you&#8217;re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.

No more insta-build walls & gates

Destroyed walls and gates will now rebuild when they reach 10% health rather than on the very first repair. This means that when attackers down a wall or gate defenders won&#8217;t be able to instantly rebuild it. Walls and gates which are destroyed can still be damaged if they have any health.

Breakout events

We&#8217;ve added a new event type to WvW called Breakout events which trigger when one or more teams have been pushed completely out of a map. They&#8217;re designed both to help players break out of severly camped portal keeps and to provide assistance in establishing a foothold in each map. Here&#8217;s what designer Matt Witter has to say about them:

Break Out Events are special WvW events that will happen when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps. An NPC commander will appear in the team&#8217;s start area and an event will start that prompts players to gather around. Once enough players are in the commander&#8217;s presence he will summon his trusty dolyak to give all allies in the area full supply. He will then lead the charge to the nearby objective and give players protection and assist with building siege to assault the objective with. Those benefits, along with a defensive boon that he applies to all nearby allies, makes the attacking players a force to be reckoned with. Defenders will have their work cut out for them, as once the gate or wall piece is destroyed the commander will move to the tower lord inside and attack anyone in his path.

These changes are just a small part of what the WvW team has been up to lately. As you may have already heard, we&#8217;re hard at work on some larger updates that we plan to deliver in February. We&#8217;re not quite ready to talk about the details yet but as February gets closer we&#8217;ll start to reveal more of our secrets.

Happy Wintersday and we&#8217;ll see you on the battlefield!

My favorite is the Alt F4 change. ArenaNet just fucked over ragequitters. hahahaha amazing

Holy shit I just read the breakout events, that sounds fucking awesome. All I can hear in my head now is "RALLY TO ME ASCALONIANS"

Hawkian said:
Oh god, there really does exist every single type of gamer
I like "skill treadmill" over "gear treadmill", much more satisfying.

Abandond

Oh god, there really does exist every single type of gamer
Seriously. I tell one of them, "Remember when we got into Cata three months ago and we got stomped in arena because everyone already had full top tier arena point gear? Was that fun? We had to run bgs for hours on end for three weeks to get our basic pvp gear to at least be able to win ten weekly matches to get the better tier." But then they give some bs response so I stopped trying after two days. I found some new people to play it with so all is good.

What level are you in fractals right now anyway?

Edit: I like those changes in WvW. I need to get my monthly kills before Wintersday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The breakout events are a great idea too, very inventive.

I have (quiet) hunches that WvW and sPvP are both going to be quite compelling a year from now. But I shall remain quiet as they are not my main areas of play.

Abandoned, I'm level 14 in the fractals :)

Abandond

The breakout events are a great idea too, very inventive.

I have (quiet) hunches that WvW and sPvP are both going to be quite compelling a year from now. But I shall remain quiet as they are not my main areas of play.

Abandoned, I'm level 14 in the fractals :)

I definitely agree on spvp/wvw, it'll get better with time. I'd play it much more if there were more game modes, also, what happened to the MOBA idea with turrets? That sounded awesome.

How has your luck been with rings?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I definitely agree on spvp/wvw, it'll get better with time. I'd play it much more if there were more game modes, also, what happened to the MOBA idea with turrets? That sounded awesome.

How has your luck been with rings?
I've only done the daily chests in that tier twice! (10 and 12 to beat them). No rings yet :p

I haven't done much fractaling in about a week because I've been farming/investing/working toward my Ascended back piece, which I now have. I'll be trying to do one every day I'm in-game from here on out though.

Abandond

I've only done the daily chests in that tier twice! (10 and 12 to beat them). No rings yet :p

I haven't done much fractaling in about a week because I've been farming/investing/working toward my Ascended back piece, which I now have. I'll be trying to do one every day I'm in-game from here on out though.

Yeah, I'd recommend that, I think for level 20+, you'll need at the bare minimum 5 AR, and that'll still be pretty tough. But at least you already have the back piece so if you do get one ring, you'll be at 10, which makes it much easier. Agony with 5 AR at 20+ will put you down every time I think unless you heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom