• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Goddamnit.

I can't imagine having to be a community relations guy for an MMO. Fuck.

I hope she is reminded at least sometimes that not everyone is like some of those people in the official forums.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh come on guys, they're totally reasonable!

I particularly like the recurring adjacent posts of:

Post #1: too many chests have already been given out, which affects me because precursors economy in-game gold gems real money harshaeahsh
Post #2: I don't see what would be wrong with everyone in the game getting a chest

Sometimes I think people really must have read somewhere that you need precursors to beat the game.

Ashodin

Oh come on guys, they're totally reasonable!

I particularly like the recurring adjacent posts of:

Post #1: too many chests have already been given out, which affects me because precursors economy in-game gold gems real money harshaeahsh
Post #2: I don't see what would be wrong with everyone in the game getting a chest

Sometimes I think people really must have read somewhere that you need precursors to beat the game.

HAWKIAN

DISHONORED WON AN AWARD BRO

Also the official forums of any MMO is shit. That's just how it is.

Levyne

Banned
This one guy on that forum

(Paraphrased)

"ANet is worried more about who doesn't deserve a chest rather than who does, this is a misplaced priority."

This seems like a super dumb type of argument. By deciding one you decide the other. This isn't a rectangle ⊃ square type relationship. But alas, let him play with his words and pretend to have a point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hahaha yeah I saw that one, seems like a very veiled "I'd really so much like a chest if'n you don't mind, Ms. Gray"

Don't click this link. Seriously. Don't read what comes next. I'm warning you.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...a-Chest-Distribution-merged/page/5#post947811

They must have seen this coming. Instead of one lot of angry people, they've created 2 sets by trying to do something 'nice'. I'm sure they'll learn a lot from it, hopefully in their overall design for how future events go. Likewise the player base should be aware now of what is required, however I think this retrospective 'kindness' will have just confused most of them.

Keep posting that Guardian build, it's interesting to see it develop and evolve as you play along with it. It's far more detailed than I'd have bothered to go into theorycrafting, but it feels similar to how I found it - wasted potential.

jdavid459

How is GW2 holding up? I need a new time-sink game for times when I am bored. Only MMO experience I really have is WoW, can't go back to that...got sick of it. Is there always something to do in GW2?

How is GW2 holding up? I need a new time-sink game for times when I am bored. Only MMO experience I really have is WoW, can't go back to that...got sick of it. Is there always something to do in GW2?

+ Go at your own pace
+ Explore and the game will generally reward/direct you in the right way
+ Easy enough to play alone
+ PVE/PVP/WvW all available

- Dungeon groups can be a bit of minor miracle to arrange outside of guild runs as most people are standing around in Lion's Arch now doing fractals.

Retro

Get your gasmasks on and sprint for the shelters; for once, I'm actually going to agree with Chriswok... and actually present additional negatives!

- Some Dynamic events (especially those in high-level zones) are still wonky.

- Some issues in WvW with the visibility of other players/opponents. A temporary fix for this went live tonight.

That said, the game still has a ton of content for all tastes, and will only be getting better as time goes on. An "Expansion-sized" batch of content is coming in January / February, and Winter's Day is next week (and if it's anything like their Halloween event, it will have lots of stuff to do).

And since Chris mentioned it, but didn't go into too much detail, Fractals are a new type of dungeon consisting of 9 randomly-ordered "mini-dungeons" that get harder the more you repeat them. It's a cool idea and very fun, but the community has focused on it too much as it's the new hotness with the newest loot. But as he mentioned, if you ask in the guild chances are good you can do most dungeons.

That's another sign of the apocalypse, people were actually positive about CM for once. I thought everyone hated it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would say this- if you're open to the concept of "making your own fun"- that is, if saying to yourself, "what's over there? Can I get up there? Is this a hidden passage?" and maybe being rewarded, maybe not- if that appeals to you, there is absolutely always something to do. Yesterday in-between dungeon runs I decided to "100%" a zone I hadn't done much of up til that point. While there, I did a total of 12 (or 15 depending on how you look at it) events which I had never done before. One (or 3) of them was a Meta Event chain for the zone, a big multi-stage quest that requires multiple players to complete successfully. 5 or so other GAF guildies hopped into the zone and did it with me. Two other events I did alone and failed. I literally don't know what would have happened if I succeeded. Some of them might have multiple other steps I didn't get to see.

I did all the "hearts," skill points, etc. in that zone and got the 100% reward for it- a chest instantly delivered to you with some money (26 silver), items (only greens for this zone, it's a 40 zone) and crafting materials which I sold for another 11 silver. But I really want to go back and redo those two events.

And anyway, I didn't get to do the jumping puzzle in that zone at all, because I'm lagging so bad it wouldn't have been practical.

Comcast.

And to think, if they had only been reasonable about their event planning in the first place, this wouldn't even be an issue...

You'll take your bed and lie in it, ArenaNet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, there won't be any more one-time events

;)

errr right then FRACTAL RACE

4pm, Saturday, Dec. 8th.

We'll do Fractals 1 and 2. Perfect for noobzors or alts. Mysterious priiiize!

Everyone who attends gets an unided dye

If you miss this one, there'll be more so no worries. This is a bit of a trial run so sorry about the short notice.

jersoc

;)

4pm, Saturday, Dec. 8th.

If you miss this one, there'll be more so no worries. This is a bit of a trial run so sorry about the short notice.

wow? a reward for a one time event. GUILD RUINED

Proven

They must have seen this coming. Instead of one lot of angry people, they've created 2 sets by trying to do something 'nice'. I'm sure they'll learn a lot from it, hopefully in their overall design for how future events go. Likewise the player base should be aware now of what is required, however I think this retrospective 'kindness' will have just confused most of them.

Keep posting that Guardian build, it's interesting to see it develop and evolve as you play along with it. It's far more detailed than I'd have bothered to go into theorycrafting, but it feels similar to how I found it - wasted potential.

Actually came to post an update before I go to sleep and play board games all day tomorrow:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAr/elYgCCXGyLEf4ESmCR6AteQQIk/UpIe0HA;TUAA1CtMEY/x8DA

The primary change is that I got tired of being a glass cannon. But I still felt like stacking Toughness with a Rabid gear set (Precision/Toughness/Condition Damage) would be a waste unless I was using a melee weapon primarily. So, I did the math.

300 points in Radiance along with your natural base precision gives you 18% crit chance. If you use the trait One-Handed Strength, that increases to 33%. I believe the Scepter is the fastest attacking weapon the Guardian has, consistently hitting once or twice a second with Smite, and the Torch going even faster than that. On top of that, having high Precision is primarily useful if you're depending on an sigil that activates on a critical hit, but there are none that I really want for this build (even with maxed Precision, the internal cooldown on Sigil of Earth didn't allow me to get more than two or three bleeds at a time, although I could have just been unlucky during the test).

All of the damage bonuses I get from attacking burning opponents scales off of Power. Power works off of a linear scale, so it's not completely horrible to put more points into it.

While having about 800 condition damage causes my burns do around 800 damage per second, having only 300 condition damage from the Radiance line causes my burns to still do around 500 damage per second. I was told that Condition Damage doesn't scale as well for burning as for bleeds, but ouch. And bleeds only scale better when you can consistently get 7+ stacks on someone.

Taking all of this into account, and remembering that the Guardian actually gets more benefit from Vitality than Toughness since it starts with low health, I decided to test Soldier (Power/Toughness/Vitality) gear.

My survivability shot up, which was great. I could actually solo people now without having to get the jump on them first. I forgot how much I liked playing sPvP and ended up playing for over an hour longer than intended once I finished my daily and got the glory booster. Reached a new tier on my Mercenary title track.

One thing I discovered was how wrong I was playing Guardian before. I started activating my Virtues more regularly, and found how much they can be a life saver with the trait Inspired Virtue. Other than all the upsides of activating Virtue of Justice (AoE Blind, AoE Might, large duration of burning for you to get your 25% bonus damage on), there are also a ton of upsides to Virtue of Courage. I tried playing without a stun breaker, which is usually a death sentence in hotjoin sPvP, but being able to give myself protection on demand meant that a Hundred Blades Warrior could tackle me and still not kill me if I was above 50-75% health as long as I activated the Virtue in time. This also meant that I could do the same for other teammates to save their butts. As an extra proactive defense against burst builds, I switched my elite to Renewed Focus, since it both blocks and gives me extra Virtue use. The cooldown is also much shorter, which was the primary reason I tended to have sucky times with Tome of Wrath, I think. I might switch back eventually.

As for how the build performed, I'm not sure. The extra survivability meant that I switched from using ground targetted Consecrations to using faster Consecration recharge, which helped with my condition removal and utility in team fights. Certain ranged builds are getting more and more popular, so having a reflection skill is really, really nice. I could easily jump in, throw a knockback, give a quick AoE buff, or throw down a Consecration, then back away as a teammate pushed in and I laid on the damage behind them. It became a very fun mid-range skirmishing build. But, I had the nagging feeling through much of it that most of the success came from just being better at the game and knowing what things I need to block/dodge/reflect and what I could tank and then heal from afterward.

Anyway, in PvE I'm now level 41, so I can start experimenting with the second tier of traits for WvW. Soldier gear is obtainable in WvW anyway so I might be spending more time there once I get closer to 60. For now, I'm switching from using Ravaging (Condition Damage/Precision) to Vigorous (Power/Vitality) gear. I'm also trying to think of ways to get more use out of Virtue of Resolve...

;)

4pm, Saturday, Dec. 8th.

I'm not going to pretend I won't miss this. Can someone record?

Yeah, I think that's why I like the Virtue build idea. They really make the popping your virtues that little bit more amazing. In my mind I can see it being a great sPVP build, but I haven't tried it or even attempted to build something up.

Proven

Yeah, I think that's why I like the Virtue build idea. They really make the popping your virtues that little bit more amazing. In my mind I can see it being a great sPVP build, but I haven't tried it or even attempted to build something up.

Also, an insight to my dilemma over how much Power vs. Precision vs. Condition Damage is best:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...talk_effective_health_armor_health_condition/

Especially the first few comments. Generally speaking, GW2 rewards you for increasing multiple stats at once, rather than stacking a specific stat only. With Soldier gear, while I'm stacking Power really, really high, I get an added bonus from all the percentage based extra damage I do to burning opponents. Then I still have a decent Precision stat, decent Toughness, decent Vitality, and I suppose decent Condition Damage.

However, there are exceptions to every rule, and this is where I'm overall stuck and just feeling my way through to what's at the very least both effective and fun to play. Still, doing all this has given me some insight to my current Warrior build, which I think I'm going to stick with Rabid armor, but use an odd trait setup I've come to like.

Proven

Oh, there is a build. 30 points in the Toughness/Crit Damage line gives you Altruistic Healing... Every time you pass a boon onto allies, you heal. Combine this with the 15 point trait in the Vitality/Healing line, Selfless Daring, which counts you as an ally of yourself for its effect, you become nigh unkillable.

It's just I can't afford to put in points for those traits. Well, maybe for Selfless Daring...

Basically, I can do it if I take the points out of the Power line (which is giving me a 15% damage boost and 200 power) or from the Virtues line (which isn't absolutely necessary but provides a lot of nice benefits to my overall survivability). I might do half and half though...

I'll think about it tomorrow. I've really been up too late. I only came back on because I suddenly realized that the build has over 3k power that's getting a percentage damage boost, but still has 17k health and 2.7k armor. I didn't realize just how strong it looked on paper now.

Also, there's sadly no High Power/Toughness/Healing, but Cleric at least uses those three stats with High Healing. I guess if I do half and half and switch to Cleric armor, I'll lose about 400 Power and 5% bonus damage, but the Healing Power should make up for the loss of Vitality if it works.

Alternatively, I can keep the Soldier gear assuming that 200 Healing Power is enough by itself (will depend on how it scales for me in such a hybrid build). I'll also get Empowering Might which should easily give me 2-3 extra stacks of Might throughout the entirety of a fight.

As an extra note, Selfless Daring was so good that it got nerfed to scale half as well with Healing Power in sPvP in the most recent major balance patch. With no extra benefits from armor, it'll heal me for 329 health per dodge roll in PvE/WvW and 229 in sPvP, considering that I'll get 200 Healing Power just for digging into the trait line for the trait. But I'll have 19k health.

But if I take the Cleric's armor, my health will drop down to around 13k while the heal would be ~600 in sPvP and about double that in PvE/WvW...

Okay, you guys convinced me. 10/30/0/20/10. Expect another update in a couple of days.

Edit: Quick preview http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAr/elYgCCXGyKEfIFRWBRa9ggI0fVFiHmCMCfA;TUAgzCmMEY/x8DA I put a break-stun shout back in for now.
2.6k Power, 33% crit chance, 2.7k Armor, 12.8k Health, 300 Condition Damage, 1k Healing Power. Overall, I still keep 25% bonus damage to burning opponents and just lose the trait that gives 5% bonus damage for using a Scepter. Activating Virtues still gives nice benefits, although Virtue of Justice is now a little bit slower. And now I have access to Vigor, which will help me dodge more. Overall, sounds too good to be true.

Edit2:
How are the guardian healing skills? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I never tried them.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/147sxm/healing_power_seems_to_be_massively_underpowered/

How are the guardian healing skills? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I never tried them.

I've gone down a different path from Proven with 30 zeal, 30 honor and 10 virtues (for the Consecrated Ground trait which is invaluable combined with wall of reflection. Healing is noticeably worse than games with a trinity, but on the other hand I have a high damage output too. I aoe heal when I dodge which is also pretty neat in a group.

I remembered to test the code [&AgESewAA] this morning (I forgot in the excitement) and it comes up as PvP Gladius which is the sPvP item.

Interestingly "Warrior sword" has the right model but is white *and* bind on acquire (and not on the TP) so who knows where that comes from...

arimanius

Glad ANet finally address weapons stats and sigils being worthless to engineers again. I hope the sigil fix comes with the Christmas patch. These fixes will make me love my engineer much more.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Generell-questions-about-kits-sigils

We are working to make sigils work with kits. Our intention is to push this as soon as possible. Hope that helps.
Jon

Step two is to get the weapon stats to apply to kits as well. We felt sigils was the more important first step because it creates build diversity. Flamethrower with sigil of air? Yes please.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Daily... dungeon bonuses are per character

MindSPLOSION
dh2Ur.jpg
two legendaries on that GPU...

Just downloaded this yesterday when my sons got it for their bday. The three of created characters and started playing this morning for about an hour or so. Lots of fun! Had to go into Ferguson's Crossing server because a ton of stuff is full.

Just downloaded this yesterday when my sons got it for their bday. The three of created characters and started playing this morning for about an hour or so. Lots of fun! Had to go into Ferguson's Crossing server because a ton of stuff is full.
Later on in the evening (PST), servers tend to be less full.

+ Go at your own pace
+ Explore and the game will generally reward/direct you in the right way
+ Easy enough to play alone
+ PVE/PVP/WvW all available

- Dungeon groups can be a bit of minor miracle to arrange outside of guild runs as most people are standing around in Lion's Arch now doing fractals.

Definitely had fun with this just starting out. I thought the events were done quite well. I was just running around, doing my thing, my sons behind me, then an event popped up, we ran over to it and started hacking away at minotaurs, etc. along with a host of others.

As someone who's never played an MMO, I thought it was really cool.

Retro

Definitely had fun with this just starting out. I thought the events were done quite well. I was just running around, doing my thing, my sons behind me, then an event popped up, we ran over to it and started hacking away at minotaurs, etc. along with a host of others.

As someone who's never played an MMO, I thought it was really cool.

When you say your sons are behind you, are they physically standing behind you at the computer, or do they all have copies/computers of their own and are playing with you? Because my father and brothers used to hang out together in WoW despite all of us living in different parts of the country.

Good thing you can do together if it's not too expensive.

jersoc

healing on items stacks awful. it's not even worth considering. also, broken tool tips should prevent anyone from thinking about it. broken as in not complete.

etiolate

Banned
So as celebration for getting awards, Guild Wars 2 is doing a special where new purchasers can upgrade to the digital deluxe edition for free and also receive a Wizard's Hat town clothes.

I expect to see great whining on the forums.

edit: Adding a link to what I'ma ctually talking about:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/wizard-promo/

And, of course, people complaining are dumb. Early prepurchasers got a hero ring AND an ArenaNet hat. MMOs run promotionals. It happens.

Katoki

So as celebration for getting rewards, Guild Wars 2 is doing a special where new purchasers can upgrade to the digital deluxe edition for free and also receive a Wizard's Hat town clothes.

I expect to see great whining on the forums.

I want a wizards hat...

But will they have hair under these hats? I also learned about a week into the game I could've gone without the Digital Deluxe but whatever.

Katoki

As long as old digital deluxers get compensation I don't see a problem.

The thing is that we shouldn't be getting any. We bought in knowing full well what we were getting at that point in time. This is to push new people to pick up the digital deluxe so anything we get as a result would be a bonus.

Ashodin

The thing is that we shouldn't be getting any. We bought in knowing full well what we were getting at that point in time. This is to push new people to pick up the digital deluxe so anything we get as a result would be a bonus.

Is it tradeable? That would be the million dollar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom