• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgerface

Neo Member
It's almost inexplicable. I think that Arah is actually one of the most consistently great story mode dungeons... until what should be the most climactic fight in the game.

It really does feel like there's an entire layer of that fight that's missing- something that would force two people to rotate onto the cannons at any given time or whatever, and have to aim to hit weak spots. I don't know. It's just so weird and bad.

I always hoped they had something cool planned out for that fight but then they realized it was time to ship the game.

Levyne

Banned
Finally got another pink ring but no baked in +5. At least I can get my total resistance to +15 so I can think about working to tier 30+ now...maybe

SteveWD40

So glancing at the OP, I should /w an officer in game for an invite, but is it like WoW where I can search for the guild overall so I can see who's online? or do I have to write down the officers names and then just try and /w them and see if they are online or not?

Who is usually on when us Euro types are awake? ;)

Oh and I installed overnight, seemed to take about 4 hours (for 25gig that sounds about right), is it going to then want to do some massive patch like many MMO's do?

Wallach

I'm around right now and can hop online if you need a guild invite. Just leave your account name here when you're ready (Name.####).

SteveWD40

I'm around right now and can hop online if you need a guild invite. Just leave your account name here when you're ready (Name.####).

Alas, it will be about 4-5pm GMT (so 6 hours from now) before I can justify skiving off work to hop online. Which is my account name btw? the one they stuck the numbers at the end of? or my character name?

Dreavus

A few of my friends who I play with a lot have already finished their world completion, or are a lot further along than I am, and so it's just running dungeons or farming all the time. Kinda sucks. I should finish my story and get back to exploring, even if the rewards "aren't that great".

On the same note, I'm starting to get annoyed at how every goddamn little thing gets calculated in some sort of invisible, overarching value:time graph in everyone's heads. "Why would I do some events there when doing this other thing over here is worth more to me?" "Skipping these groups are the most cost effective use of my time in this dungeon." "Doing that instance isn't worth it compared to this other one." If someone isn't critical to the instance at hand let's find some way to skip it altogether.

I think this is just a case of "welcome to MMO endgame, enjoy your stay" for me, but the endless talk of optimization can get maddening sometimes. Sadly I'm sure when I start chasing whatever legendary/exotic I decide on I'll be the same way, or at least more easily see the merits (or give up on the game for a while, whichever!).

GAF I think I need to get back into your guild.

Wallach

A few of my friends who I play with a lot have already finished their world completion, or are a lot further along than I am, and so it's just running dungeons or farming all the time. Kinda sucks. I should finish my story and get back to exploring, even if the rewards "aren't that great".

On the same note, I'm starting to get annoyed at how every goddamn little thing gets calculated in some sort of invisible, overarching value:time graph in everyone's heads. "Why would I do some events there when doing this other thing over here is worth more to me?" "Skipping these groups are the most cost effective use of my time in this dungeon." "Doing that instance isn't worth it compared to this other one." If someone isn't critical to the instance at hand let's find some way to skip it altogether.

I think this is just a case of "welcome to MMO endgame, enjoy your stay" for me, but the endless talk of optimization can get maddening sometimes. I'm sure when I start chasing whatever legendary/exotic I decide on I'll be the same way.

I've been taking a break from GW2 to play some TOR before the 14th patch and this same mentality is super pervasive there. I switched my PvP-centric Bounty Hunter from a melee nuker to a dungeon tank, and doing things via the dungeon finder in that game is maddening. People get bent out of shape over the most trivial shit anymore; if you don't know how to skip a single damn group of enemies they act like you just took a shit in their breakfast. One group got mad at me because I didn't want to skip an entire fucking boss that was standing right in front of us because even though there were two of us that could easily use the loot he could (and did) drop. I definitely understand the desire to learn and become skilled at a game that you invest a lot of time into, but this kind of shit destroys my patience.

@Steve - I need the name with the numbers on the end.

jersoc

people like min/maxxing. nothing really wrong with it as long as everyone else they're with is on board. i enjoy min/max too.

i spent hours on warlock builds and strats in pvp and it paid off big time. then blizzard buffed us and it was more awesome.

also, it should really come to no surprise. i'm not sure how people are still confused by that mindset to be honest. if i'm working towards a legendary seriously enough, why would i run dungeon X that nets me 50s when Y nets me almost a gold? That's foolish to hinder yourself 50% for no reason at all. some people play hardcore like that and it's fine. otherwise like a wide variety the game has to offer w/o worrying about rewards. that's also fine. neither is right nor wrong. if you don't like one group or another simply don't play with them or ignore it.

it bugs the shit out of me that every single tooltip in the game is worthless. i'm surprised people who pvp aren't getting on anets case over this(also the lack of builds). hell, anet flat out said they aren't sure what a skill is suppose to do damage wise because the tooltip doesn't say and they didn't doc it. what? you can't min/max shit cause of this. some healing, some damage. GAH. behind culling this is my biggest complaint.

edit:eek:h god, fixed the correct "they're"

Vossler

Really hoping charged lodestones drop sometime soon, as the price seems to keep climbing. Anet does need to give us more ways of obtaining lodestones in general, such as through bag drops.

Got my Guardian to level 40, I do liek the fact that I can tank multi mobs and still survive. Quite the difference coming from a Ranger. I was wondering, I run Greatsword/Staff right now, is that viable endgame? Or should I use scepter/mace/focus? Really liking the class other than that.

kairotic

Neo Member
Hit 80 on my first character last night (Drao Koth)! Excited to start the end-game grind. :) Thanks again to the group that took me on the Ghost Eater run. Hope to run some more tonight.

Complistic

Really hoping charged lodestones drop sometime soon, as the price seems to keep climbing. Anet does need to give us more ways of obtaining lodestones in general, such as through bag drops.

Got my Guardian to level 40, I do liek the fact that I can tank multi mobs and still survive. Quite the difference coming from a Ranger. I was wondering, I run Greatsword/Staff right now, is that viable endgame? Or should I use scepter/mace/focus? Really liking the class other than that.

I've never like the staff. I've found scepter/shield much more useful.

I'm seriously considering selling my charged lodes because I'm sure they'll do exactly that.
There's just no way they'll leave it like that.

kairotic

Neo Member

Staff is a great tool for keeping your group alive, as long as your gear is all +healing.

KuroNeeko

Does Guardian get more complicated later? I'm running around pre-10 levels and just crushing everything. You just kill things so quickly, especially with Scepter and either Torch / Focus. That and it seems like there are just so many Guardians (and Elementalists) in the game. Their attacks look pretty cool though, especially Focus 4.

I'm doing a lot of swapping between Ranger, Engineer, and Mesmer. There are things I like about each class, but am starting to feel like there isn't really a class in the game that's for me. I have about 38 levels in my Necromancer but I'm just not feeling it anymore. It's a frustrating feeling since I just want to settle down with one class and run more dungeons / fractals. I just get bored too easily, I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I think this is just a case of "welcome to MMO endgame, enjoy your stay" for me, but the endless talk of optimization can get maddening sometimes. Sadly I'm sure when I start chasing whatever legendary/exotic I decide on I'll be the same way, or at least more easily see the merits (or give up on the game for a while, whichever!).

Ahhh please rejoin us. Your words are like plucked from my brain.

An enormous number of the most fun activities I have embarked upon in this game had no tangible reward whatsoever. I have come to understand since launch how rare this sentiment is. But there are definitely at least a few of us in the guild!

kairotic

Neo Member
Does Guardian get more complicated later? I'm running around pre-10 levels and just crushing everything. You just kill things so quickly, especially with Scepter and either Torch / Focus. That and it seems like there are just so many Guardians (and Elementalists) in the game. Their attacks look pretty cool though, especially Focus 4.

I'm doing a lot of swapping between Ranger, Engineer, and Mesmer. There are things I like about each class, but am starting to feel like there isn't really a class in the game that's for me. I have about 38 levels in my Necromancer but I'm just not feeling it anymore. It's a frustrating feeling since I just want to settle down with one class and run more dungeons / fractals. I just get bored too easily, I guess.

Guardian can get very involved if you want it to be. Running a support role in sPvP is probably the most challengeing yet beneficial role you can fill. You can also equip a Greatsword and mindlessly click 1-5. Honestly, most of the classes I have played have similar results.

Play what you find fun! I found the Guardian to be extremely fun and played him non-stop to 80.

SteveWD40

Went Ganadra for now, will keep an eye on it.

So far loving it though, easily the best polished MMO (more so than WoW and I played that for years). So much wanderlust, UI is amazing, combat feels great. Questions:

Where can I get gathering tools?

Is it worth learning crafting early on? half my loot was crafting mats, as a Ranger what should I go for?

Complistic

Went Ganadra for now, will keep an eye on it.

So far loving it though, easily the best polished MMO (more so than WoW and I played that for years). So much wanderlust, UI is amazing, combat feels great. Questions:

Is it worth learning crafting early on? half my loot was crafting mats, as a Ranger what should I go for?

Crafting is a great way to level up, you get gathering tools from merchants and for doing your personal story. When you come across a crafting station, just go around to the different masters and ask what you can make with that profession and choose which one's you like. It's not permanent. You can change professions at any time, it just costs gold to do so.

mingus

I carry one of each with me everywhere I go, each one gets a use in certain situations. How it works for me usually is GS for dps, staff for support/tagging in zergs and wvw, scepter for kiting bosses/hitting things from max range, mace/focus for tanking, sword/shield I still haven't found a great use for but have it nonetheless.

Wallach

Crafting is a great way to level up, you get gathering tools from merchants and for doing your personal story. When you come across a crafting station, just go around to the different masters and ask what you can make with that profession and choose which one's you like. It's not permanent. You can change professions at any time, it just costs gold to do so.

To be precise, it does not cost anything to drop a crafting skill and take a new one. It only costs gold if you drop a skill to pick up a craft you previously dropped.

Steve, if you put your account name up we can still invite you into the guild while you are on Gandara. While I don't know if you can properly set up groups yet in overflows across servers yet, you'd have folks to talk to and answer questions for you.

SteveWD40

Steve, if you put your account name up we can still invite you into the guild while you are on Gandara. While I don't know if you can properly set up groups yet in overflows across servers yet, you'd have folks to talk to and answer questions for you.

It's Fallco.1620

So you can invite me to the guild and I get the tag / buffs / guild chat from a different server?

If so: magic!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The "standard" merchant. They're all over the place- coins above the head, in every city and lots out and about in the world, though some of those are specialty merchants with some other goods.

edit: The crafting trainers all also sell them, I believe.

Abandond

What time will wintersday start? Will it be on friday 12 am pst? The site lists times for the other events except for when it will actually begin..

Retro

What time will wintersday start? Will it be on friday 12 am pst? The site lists times for the other events except for when it will actually begin..

Probably because they don't want to paint themselves into a corner with the exact timing. Usually it is noon pst, but if the patch is a little late, or there are unforeseen issues, they don't want their forums to get flooded with "OMG WHERE IZ MY PATCH I AM CANCELLING MY SUB ARENANET IS FULL OF LIARS AND CHEATS!"-type garbage.

Abandond

Probably because they don't want to paint themselves into a corner with the exact timing. Usually it is noon pst, but if the patch is a little late, or there are unforeseen issues, they don't want their forums to get flooded with "OMG WHERE IZ MY PATCH I AM CANCELLING MY SUB ARENANET IS FULL OF LIARS AND CHEATS!"-type garbage.
True and that is fair enough. I just want to know because if it does start at 12am, then I'll need to nap during the day to stay up all night, lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey I'm AFKing like a boss!

I've actually barely been able to play all week. I think I've done like 3 dungeon runs and that's it. Haven't even gotten in a daily :( And I have to go out of town for a wedding this weekend. Alas poor Wintersday weekend!

Least there's a lot of time off from work coming up. :D

jersoc

given that the trixx or whatever starts at 10am, i would imagine before then. but who knows.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
given that the trixx or whatever starts at 10am, i would imagine before then. but who knows.
It doesn't say a time for tomorrow.
K3f4N.png

So, After a 4 week break. Have they fixed most of the bugs that plagued endgame?

Did they buff Engineer kits yet? Is it worth coming back?

Wallach

So, After a 4 week break. Have they fixed most of the bugs that plagued endgame?

I think tomorrow's patch is the one that will have sigils working for kits. Not sure though.

"Endgame" is sort of vague in GW2 terms but I still think it has many of the same problems it did a month ago.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Bugs have been dramatically reduced for sure. I hear the Temple of Balthazar still gets stuck from time to time and there's a skill point in Sparkfly Fen that needs a reset, but I personally haven't experienced a bugged event chain in weeks.

Unfortunately I think Engineers and Necros are still waiting on a lot of fixes- but pay attention to the patch that drops tomorrow just in case.
Yeah still no time for tomorrow, lol

"Endgame" is sort of vague in GW2 terms but I still think it has many of the same problems it did a month ago.

I mean, did they fix invisible zergs in WvW?
Did they fix the high level zones being unplayable due to bugs?
Are Warriors and Mesmers still overpowered?
Are dungeon's still full of mindless damage sponges, with little or no mechanics?

Wallach

Are dungeon's still full of mindless damage sponges, with little or no mechanics?

Culling is still pretty broken for WvW but they claim to have some kind of band-aid in tomorrow's patch that will help. Supposedly a more final fix is still in development.

Most of the high level zones are much more playable than they were at launch, but I don't know about a month ago. I still see broken event chains sometimes.

I don't think Warriors have ever been proper overpowered; Mesmers for sure. Don't think much has changed for either class in the past four weeks.

Normal dungeons are still pretty dumb. I'm not sure if you were around for the Fractals of the Mists release, but that dungeon content is far superior to anything they launched with. They claim to be going back to work on the world dungeons now that Fractals are up and running.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
An interim solution has been implemented but it is definitely still an issue.
I wouldn't describe any high level zones as unplayable. I have heard some complaints of bugs on the forums and seen one bugged skill point in Sparkfly Fen myself, but haven't run into an actual bugged event chain in weeks. edit: Damnit Wallach! I thought they were gone. :( Guess I've been lucky- but it's definitely noticeably better.
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but Warriors haven't really been touched across the board; Mesmers have had some nerfs and some buffs (and two important fixes).
There are still plenty of bosses with too much HP; revamping the dungeon paths has been mentioned as a high priority however. Question: Have you played the Fractals yet?

I haven't tried the Fractales yet. I'll try to get a pug or something to try them tomorrow after work.

One of the reasons I quit were warriors were repeatedly 1-2 hit killing me in WvW, or Mesmers were spawning half a dozen clones during fights. I'm no slouch for gear either, at the time, atleast.

I'm sad to hear that PvP is still in a bad place.

Retro

True and that is fair enough. I just want to know because if it does start at 12am, then I'll need to nap during the day to stay up all night, lol.

Nah, get some sleep, it's not going live until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I know GW2 has a worldwide audience, but starting an event when a large (if not the largest, I haven't seen any numbers and I know GW is HUGE in Germany so..) part of the player population is sleeping..

All of you should feel very very bad about yourselves for letting the Mumble server die!

Wait, is there just nobody on it or did the server itself stop working? It's working now.

1. I forget who posted it and who they were quoting (pretty sure it was Jon Peters), but Engi kits should be getting affected by Sigils tomorrow.

2. Worth coming back for the holiday stuff, as there will likely be a little something for everyone. We've seen a jumping puzzle, a snowball fight PVP mode, an "Activity" involving music, and it sounds like a dungeon / mini-dungeon of some sort in Tixx's floating Toy Shop.

I haven't tried the Fractales yet. I'll try to get a pug or something to try them tomorrow after work.

Eeek, if you've been away long enough you haven't tried Fractals, you'll definitely find plenty worth seeing. Try not to PUG fractals though, GAF Group > PUG Group... by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom