• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Do people running Magic Find setups get a very noticeable increase in loot?

I've been thinking about taking my rune setup seriously and getting one set for "business time" runes and another set for magic find. But when is a good time to wear Magic Find? It's my understanding that Magic Find doesn't affect chests, so perhaps I should only wear my other set doing dungeons. The other set I would wear would boost my damage output by about 60%. So there's a noticeable advantage to wearing that, but then is it worth wearing Magic Find when doing nonsense in the wild?

I've been thinking about taking my rune setup seriously and getting one set for "business time" runes and another set for magic find. But when is a good time to wear Magic Find? It's my understanding that Magic Find doesn't affect chests, so perhaps I should only wear my other set doing dungeons. The other set I would wear would boost my damage output by about 60%. So there's a noticeable advantage to wearing that, but then is it worth wearing Magic Find when doing nonsense in the wild?

Short answer: Yes, if you don’t mind taking longer to kill things and want more loot/gold. But it only becomes noticable if farming is your thing.

Dries

I can guarantee you that the second these are on sale somewhere, they will be sold out. Etsy currently has a couple ceramic ones, but they look like they'd break if you look at them and the paint job is kinda meh.

Seriously, your wife is printing money. I'd buy a couple myself. And if ANet comments about it on twitter (as they often do for stuff like this)? Yikes.

Seriously, where can I buy some. PM me.

If you don't have the Christmas Quaggan Mini yet, maybe hang on to 50... just because... of reasons.

I don't have any gems, so I don't have a shot at that mini anyway. I really want it though. But my mini plush griffon is also nice :)

Klorox33

Neo Member
GW 2 is awesome and only has room to grow.

The only thing I think the game is missing is some real sandbox pvp elements after all the game is named "guild wars"...

I think they have a couple of options either add some real risk vs rewards to WvW or let people pvp in the reg world. imagine declaring war on a guild and killing them in the real world an looting their stuff.... There would defiantly have to be alternate server types so this isn't forced on anyone who doesn't care about pvp.

I think they should put more focus on gathering items in WvW in order to create the stuff needed for WvW. Example the only way to fortify you keep would be to gather wood / iron etc and build a gate/ram etc. This would create action away from the keeps and commanders could send groups on missions to gather certain items and control areas. They could highlight areas on the map were special materials are and have people fight for them etc, Hmm do I guard this keep or go after X.

Some risk vs rewards elements would also include adding real durability to items in WvW this would really kick the professions into high gear. Seeing a whole guild run around in nub shit cause thats all they can afford would be hilarious. Also sporting your legendary in WvW would be real risky.

I also like the idea of guilds being able to raise a minion using influence Moba style to help turn the tides of battles.

So many options for the developers to tune this game. I hope they get it right.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

True Magic Find (an armor set, sigil of luck, accessories) is really only at ALL valuable for farming; but if you are farming, it's invaluable. Magic Find doesn't provide you with more loot- it just increases your odds at the loot table. So when you're farming for specific or rarer ingredients, it's essentially a requirement to maximize your efficiency.

For everything else, there's just food for that little boost without sacrificing your entire build.

Kikarian, send an in-game mail to Hawkian The Blade and I can add you next time I get on.

Retro

Anyway to Join the GAF guild? I wouldn't mind playing with you guys!

I'm in the Gandara server.

Whisper or send an in-game mail to Professor Retro and I'll invite you as soon as I see the request.

Kikarian, send an in-game mail to Hawkian The Blade and I can add you next time I get on.

Don't listen to Hawkian, he always lies. He's in here talking about Mesmer builds and Magic Find armor, when I happen to know for a fact he doesn't have a Mesmer and all of his characters are nudists.

(I've clearly misused the phrase "better half". We're not married but have been together more than a decade. Sorry about that.)

I'll ask her if she's up for making more when she gets back from work tonight. Previously she showed understandable concern about the legal implications of selling that sort of thing (she's made/given away Avengers stuff for my sisters for example but would never sell it).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's... Retro just lied a bunch I dunno why

edit: Um and why aren't you married? She made you glass quaggans.

Retro

I'll ask her if she's up for making more when she gets back from work tonight. Previously she showed understandable concern about the legal implications of selling that sort of thing (she's made/given away Avengers stuff for my sisters for example but would never sell it).

Well, there's clay Quaggans on etsy, and I think they had some woodcut Christmas ornaments up there before. They've tweeted about fan-made stuff before, I think, but I imagine you could always ask on their forums.

That's... Retro just lied a bunch I dunno why

See? Another lie.

Apparently she doesn't like the idea of being a "wife". We're waiting for hetero civil partnerships.

Completely understandable, I know a few people who feel the same way. Related to one of them.

I got this game gifted to me in November and have been playing it more than ACIII, Halo 4 & ME3, which have been my favorite series to play for quite some time. So far I've got a lvl 41 Ranger, 15 Necro, 11 Thief & 8 Engineer.

Unfortunately, I didn't hop on to the GAF server, but I'm playing with a bunch of my co-workers with our own guild on Tarnished Coast.

This game is *so* awesome.

Retro

I got this game gifted to me in November and have been playing it more than ACIII, Halo 4 & ME3, which have been my favorite series to play for quite some time. So far I've got a lvl 41 Ranger, 15 Necro, 11 Thief & 8 Engineer.

Unfortunately, I didn't hop on to the GAF server, but I'm playing with a bunch of my co-workers with our own guild on Tarnished Coast.

This game is *so* awesome.

1. ACIII is broken as hell even after 3 major patches, Halo 4 was mediocre and is turning into Call of Duty in Space, Mass Effect 3's problems have been done to death. GW2 is where it's at, being both the bee's knees and the cat's pajamas. I'm pretty sure a ranking system based entirely on knees and pajamas converts comfortably to a 90 metacritic score.

2. You can multi-guild, so in addition to your co-workers guild, you can also be a member of GAF and represent it whenever your friends aren't on or you want to ask the knowledgeable GAFers (except Hawkian, who always lies) a question or just to yuk it up.

3. You don't need to to be on the GAF server (Stormbluff Isle) to play with GAFers; guesting in dungeons currently works, and guesting for PVE is supposed to be in the game any time now. Hopefully in the January update.

And on that note:
Colin Johanson said:
Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.
(Source)

<insert high-pitched squeal of delight here>

You have awesome friends / relatives, Deejay. GW2 really is the gift that keeps giving the whole year 'round.

Kikarian

Whisper or send an in-game mail to Professor Retro and I'll invite you as soon as I see the request.

Don't listen to Hawkian, he always lies. He's in here talking about Mesmer builds and Magic Find armor, when I happen to know for a fact he doesn't have a Mesmer and all of his characters are nudists.
I whispered to you, but it won't send as you're offline.

Trey

Retro no. I will not accept any Halo 4 slander in this thread, however deserved it may be. I get enough of that in the Halo OTs.

I've been suffering from slight GW2 withdrawals (been away from my desktop for five days), so I've been playing FFIII DS in the meantime. It ain't bad, but it ain't GW2.

jersoc

god Please fix WVW not to be so boring please. Getting a bit bored with the game already :|

was mostly keen on wvw, but christ it needs fresh maps and gameplay so bad. I know making balanced maps can be a pain, but launching with 1 and EB was a huge mistake. wvw also needs more of a focus on siege and warfare and less on doors. get some more resources to help buff things. add in stuff that can be researched to improve siege, put in events for it. another focus point for battles arise! if these things are every truly going to be 3 months they need more. you can always tell by the first day who is going to win.

Retro

Thanks to all of that Elementalist talk on the last page, I decided to give them a try despite my firmly entrenched bias against playing casters in MMOs (I am not a "stand back and shoot"-kinda guy, my Warrior's intermittent use of the Rifle notwithstanding).

Buying higher level armor on the cheap and transmuting it onto level 10 armor has made this much easier (especially on the eyes);

Dem3M.jpg

Why yes, those are the Necromancer's eyes on an Elementalist.

Retro no. I will not accept any Halo 4 slander in this thread, however deserved it may be. I get enough of that in the Halo OTs.

This isn't the thread for it, but...

Beat the campaign. Alright, but it slips into the habit most sci-fi has, the "we're being mysterious by not telling you anything" approach. Plus a villain with unclear motivation and new enemies that are a chore to fight, best disposed of with cheese rather than creative tactics (which the level design seems to encourage anyways). Would rank it just above Reach in terms of enjoyment (which is to say, well below all others)

Tried Forge, seems to have taken one step forward, two steps back. Really boring maps to build on, same boring pieces to build with, and broken shit everywhere.

Tried mutliplayer. What used to feel 'meaty', where you could take a couple shots and be able to turn and face your attacker, and maybe even win if you're good enough, is now a spastic, frantic, "Whoever shoots first wins" mess. Played it for a couple days, said "This is not for me" and have not gone back since.

I bought a new Hard Drive (since it requires 8gb installed for Multiplayer and I still had my original 8 GB drive) and renewed my Live subscription for it.

Could have bought a lot of gems with that.

god Please fix WVW not to be so boring please. Getting a bit bored with the game already :|

was mostly keen on wvw, but christ it needs fresh maps and gameplay so bad. I know making balanced maps can be a pain, but launching with 1 and EB was a huge mistake. wvw also needs more of a focus on siege and warfare and less on doors. get some more resources to help buff things. add in stuff that can be researched to improve siege, put in events for it. another focus point for battles arise! if these things are every truly going to be 3 months they need more. you can always tell by the first day who is going to win.

WvW and PvP are both supposed to get changed in February. I've heard that WvW is getting something called "Beacons", which people seem to think will be deployable waypoints, built with supply similar to siege. Take that with the usual bucket of salt.

There is also this post from Colin Johanson from last week;

It&#8217;s worth noting, while they said we&#8217;re not working on new versions of the home maps currently, they didn&#8217;t say anything about new maps in general&#8230;..

Also I&#8217;ll throw out that the work our WvW guys are doing on culling and progression systems are extremely large, these are feature systems unto themselves. For example a lot of the culling work requires re-building almost entirely the way our game compiles, loads, and handles assets in general. For many companies, this task could literally years, we&#8217;re trying to pull it off in a matter of months, these guys are rock stars.

I know some of you got the impression there isn&#8217;t much development going on here, but I was to clarify you couldn&#8217;t be more wrong. There is a boat load of very serious WvW being done, much of it they discussed in this interview. Major features require many month long projects, our hope is you&#8217;ll start seeing the major fruits of those labors starting in our February update.

You&#8217;ll hear more details from our WvW team once stuff gets closer to finalized and tested, but we think you&#8217;re going to be thrilled with the stuff that&#8217;s coming. As an old DAoC fan, I&#8217;m freaking stoked about what these guys are doing.(source)

Guess we'll just have to wait for the "2013 Preview" in the next few weeks.

Edit: Here's the interview he mentions: http://www.guildwars2junkies.com/20...-guests-habib-loew-matt-witter-anet-wvw-devs/

I just realized I haven't really logged in to do anything in over 2 weeks.

The motivation just isn't there. Hrrrr.

I don't want to be one of those guys who hits 100% world completion and just goes "fuck it", but damn, the game really needs more incentives to play past that point.

I don't want to be one of those guys who hits 100% world completion and just goes "fuck it", but damn, the game really needs more incentives to play past that point.

You need to start working towards a Legendary.

Retro

One of the biggest things for me in that quote from Colin earlier is that one of their major goals is "making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we&#8217;ve already built, and strengthening the core game we&#8217;ve provided." To me, that says the old zones are getting lots of new content. Again, we'll just have to wait and see what their plans are in their 2013 Preview.

Besides, it's not the kind of MMO where you need to play constantly anyways. If you're not having fun, stop; there's no subscription fee to make you feel obligated and apart from potentially being culled from the guild (which, in case anyone is curious, isn't anywhere close to being needed again, so relax). I know when I stop having fun or something else appeals to me, I'll stop playing. It just hasn't happened yet, except for a couple days last week where I played some Borderlands 2.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but just out of curiosity, do you think you've gotten what you paid for? That's not me saying "Shut up and appreciate the game" or trying to bait you into a debate, I'm just genuinely curious if you think you've gotten your money's worth out of it yet.

Trey

I really wish I could have that problem. I've virtually 100% map completion, and I feel like I still have so much to do.

I hit 80 2 weeks ago and hit the same wall. What is there to do other than grind it out for skins and gear? The world when I was leveling was pretty much dead/flat, which is a shame as it's only been a few months since release.

I guess I still have the option of 100% World Completion (or perhaps leveling an alt), but I do find myself getting a little confused as to what you're suppose to do once you've leveled.

Retro

I really wish I could have that problem. I've virtually 100% map completion, and I feel like I still have so much to do.

The highest I have is 66% on my warrior. A lot of zones I have about halfway done just from wandering around enjoying them without really focusing on completion. I'm not chasing a legendary, so there's really no point to world completion other than to just be done with it... which I'm not really in any rush to do either.

There should be an "open multiple" option. Double-clicking 50+ times to open all my Wintersday gifts is maddening.

I think the problem with that might be that it would flood your inventory. Still, it should be an option at least.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish I could have that problem. I'm nowhere close to 100% world completion and all I want to do right now is get my Ele to 80 so he can use the scepter I bought from Adriaaaaaaa :lol
I do find myself getting a little confused as to what you're suppose to do once you've leveled.
Absent all mockery and snark whatsoever, just out of legitimate curiosity- what do you want to do?
A lot of zones I have about halfway done just from wandering around enjoying them without really focusing on completion.
Same. Outside of the newbie zones and cities I haven't 100%ed any areas except those we mobbed as a guild (hey wanna do one this weekend guys??)

When I hunker down and start area-hopping for completion it'll probably spike quite fast. But, I still haven't done much of the WvW completions, sooo....

Vossler

I've played since the three day headstart, and find it boggling how some people are bored already. I'm already finding that my second alt, a guard at level 68, to be more fun than my main ranger, something I would never have thought I would say, as I usually despise melee.

Also, I have set a semi-probably impossible goal (due to charged lodestone prices) of obtaining foefire's essence for my guardian, as well as maybe eventually taking him into some WvWvW. My map completion is only at around 45%, so there is that to do as well. Maybe way down the line, when they institute the scavenger hunt for Legendaries, I will go for one of those as well. The constant monthly updates always keep it fresh, while also allowing for me to continue on my currently set goals.

I do understand the emptiness of the world is a concern, but I think they will change that with something similar to the Nicolas the Traveler/Zaishen missions. I really hope that they add in the Canthan New Year in some fashion, as I obtained every mini from that festival that I could in GW1.

Retro

when they institute the scavenger hunt for Legendaries, I will go for one of those as well.

That right there is the reason I'm not in any rush for a Legendary. I want it to feel legendary, not grindy. Getting my Quel'Serrar in WoW felt legendary, and that was pretty much "Bring me a book. Here's a sword. Get a dragon to breathe on it, then stab her with it. Bring it back. Good? Here's your sword."

I want that sort of story behind my character's badass-looking equipment, not "Yeah, I farmed Orr for 4 weeks and bought the rest of the mats on the trading post". One of ArenaNet's biggest missteps, honestly.

Absent all mockery and snark whatsoever, just out of legitimate curiosity- what do you want to do?

Well what is there to do outside of grinding dungeons? I have no idea. I know I can go explore, but other than that all there is are the dungeon grinds. Right?

That right there is the reason I'm not in any rush for a Legendary. I want it to feel legendary, not grindy. Getting my Quel'Serrar in WoW felt legendary, and that was pretty much "Bring me a book. Here's a sword. Get a dragon to breathe on it, then stab her with it. Bring it back. Good? Here's your sword."

I want that sort of story behind my character's equipment.

That would be good.

Have to admit, the story in Guild Wars 2 has been pretty lackluster and very vanilla. Was it this bad in GW1?

I've played since the three day headstart, and find it boggling how some people are bored already. I'm already finding that my second alt, a guard at level 68, to be more fun than my main ranger, something I would never have thought I would say, as I usually despise melee.
I've been playing every day since headstart, but last few weeks mostly to complete my dailies.

Rant incoming!

FOTM is a borefest because of the intended grind, and I wish they never released it.
Should've been a dungeon like all the others, without the levels.

I've given up on current legendaries (unless they make them easier to obtain), and will save my gold for next expansion stuff. Same with cultural armor.

I'll try to day 1 one of those new legendaries. :)

Katoki

Two immediate things I can think of are jump puzzles and finding statues that do something if you /bow, /kneel, /salute it or something. Or you could use the descriptions under the explorer achievement tab to help you find somewhere to go, such as "Find the lost treasure off the coast of Orr." Different classes are always fun when you go back to them later. Somehow things that didn't click before suddenly make sense later.

If you're looking for "it tells me this so I'll go do it and get it and find the next thing to do," I think you're screwed though.

You didn't answer? :-/ I'm really curious!

Could be because he doesn't know what he wants to do to begin with.

Retro

Have to admit, the story in Guild Wars 2 has been pretty lackluster and very vanilla. Was it this bad in GW1?

Not really fare to compare; GW1 is more like an RPG you can play with friends than an MMO. Personally, and maybe this is just the repressed roleplayer in me, I like to think of my own character's wanderings from town to town as his story rather than the scripted personal story (which is pretty lacking)

Silly, maybe, but I've got sort of a Caine / David Banner mentality; wandering around doing things to make the world better, with the addition of taking in the sights, looking for interesting stuff that's off the beaten path and maybe get something cool along the way.

So far, it's worked. Haven't gotten bored yet, though as always I am trying new classes (really enjoying my Elementalist so far, btw), but I have a severe case of alt-itis so that's nothing new or unexpected.

You didn't answer? :-/ I'm really curious!

Well, I said I log on and I'm confused as to what I'm suppose to do, as there's no direction other than guildies saying 'Do Dungeons' or 100% World Map. I know I could do WvW, but I think WvW is pretty pointless at the moment as you don't so much as gain a victory rather than lose if you sleep. Basically there's no clear 'End Game', which may or may not be a good thing for Guild Wars 2, I have no idea.

I guess I could try and form a sPVP team, but it sounds like sPVP is pretty messy at the moment.

I could level up professions, but the RNG for drops is absurd (to get Chocolate I need to kill a mob that MIGHT drop the bag, then I have to loot the bag and HOPE that it contains chocolate and not 1 of the other 10 items it could contain). Yes I know I could buy the mats from the TP, which is often the counter thrown at you when you complain about how poor the drop system is in GW2, but that means I then have to grind to gain money elsewhere.

I'm just not sure what the game is offering right now. During all the hype it seemed like it would be a constantly 'living' environment where events would trigger and happen. Yet, the truth seems to be that most people are in Lion's Arch doing fractals, while the rest of the game map is rarely touched. Events sometimes trigger, and if you do them you end up bottlenecked as there's no one else to help you with the tougher ones.

In the long run I want a 'unique' looking character, so I guess I'll have to end up grinding those dungeons eventually to get the armor skins I think look good (either via drops or money to play the TP).

For all the faults WoW had, at least if you were bored you could go and do some World PVP/Ganking, which would sometimes evolve into larger battles when friends were called in. Can't really do that unless you go and do WvW and that still feels too controlled/zerg.

I just want to say that I'm not hating on this game just to try and piss you guys off. I do like it, and the times I play it, I do enjoy it, but I'm not going to ignore the areas of the game that I think are weak or annoy me at any time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought the story in GW1 was completely erratic. It had me during the Ascalon stuff and then abandoned that whole thread. The end was pretty generic in my eyes plot-wise. Hard to say better-worse as there's so much variation in the GW2 storylines (better than my sylvari, worse than my asura). They're both pretty drab.

Vossler

FOTM is a borefest because of the intended grind, and I wish they never released it.

While I was initially a big fan of them, I'd now rather do regular dungeons to grab gear for my alt(s) as well as get some monies and mebbe some decent drops. Fractals have become too much of a grindfest (for my tastes, I know there are those who love it). I agree with Retro as well, they definitely should have instituted some of epic quest for the legendaries, instead of what we have currently.

Also, I didn't start GW1 from the get-go, but I did about a year after, and I've always wondered why there isn't a place the like The Underworld or Fissure of Woe in GW2. I spent countless hours in speed run guilds in these places trying to get ectos, shards, obby blade, and voltaic (which I actually did get). I think FotM is supposed to be something like them, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

zulfate

I see your point retro but they really dropped the ball on story from my perspective. Jeff grubb is an old dnd writer and honestly it doesnt show at all. Sometimes you can see it maybe getting better but it never really goes anywhere. I guess the more i think about it the more i realize that the story is good but the dialogue and pacing is shit in my opinion.

Proven

Basically, I see Fractals as another dungeon. I do it for fun, and the chance of some extra drops for money. Dungeons in general are worth more money per time than anything else in the game because of their difficulty.

But because most people playing Fractals are trying to get as high as possible and grind it out, and most people that do dungeons pretty much only use exploits to rush through them as fast as possible, the only thing that I have any fun with for PUGs is WvW. Jump in, ask around in team chat for a group, ask a few people on my friends list from guilds or previous PUGs, and then roam around protecting supply camps and sneaking towers when we can.

Retro

Wow, must be some good discussion going on in this thread, cuz here comes one of my old-fashioned Mega Posts;

You are not wrong, and despite how much I love the idea behind Fractals, I am not convinced it needed to be 'infinite', as that increased difficulty is being delivered in either math-y ways (enemies have higher stats) or annoying mechanics (agony). I would be okay with the levels if;

1. Each level represented a substantial increase in difficulty, in non-mathy ways. More mobs during certain encounters, different boss behavior and/or abilities, alternative routes. Maybe even different routes or bosses all together at higher levels.

2. There were only 5 or so levels max, and any group can join at that level as long as one member of the group has completed it already.

3. With the increased difficulty level would come an increase in the number of tokens earned, and I'd add fractal-specific drops that are unique to that fractal's theme (i.e. a flaming grawl longbow, a Raving Asura golem mini, the Cultist's hammer from Cliffside), along with stuff like Quivers (which should just be skins, honestly) and other cosmetic goodies. Those would drop more often in the higher levels, so there's a sense of Risk vs. Reward instead of grind, grind, grind, reward. And of course, the drops will get better, but no more than is expected and certainly not outpacing the other dungeons.

4. As new Fractals are added, I would add a new level of difficulty across the entire mode. Old fractals would get a new difficulty level. Some fractals would be given minimum levels (e.g. a new fractal might be Level 4+, so it won't appear for those running at Level 1-3) and some maximum levels (e.g. an old fractal might be given a maximum level of 5, so at level 6+ it won't appear again). In this way, when you run out of interesting ways to make a fractal harder, you can just stop it from appearing.

And that can go on and on, adding a new fractal or two just to keep things fresh, build on the content that is already there, and slip in new rewards that don't really fit the game world yet (for example, everyone and their grandma would want a Canthan Katana).

Replaying my alts using 8-bit themes like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFW1A1kkkI

have made my journey in this game much more laughable and enjoyable. Now I need to mix it up with more 8-bit themes.

Sounds like marching into Orr against all hope music. Always felt like Mega Man 2's Wily 1 Theme was the "I'm coming to stop you" and Mega Man 3's is more "I must end this". A friend of mine feels that Mega Man 1-3 should have been a thematic trilogy with 3 closing out the series.

For my own music, I've been mixing the GW2 soundtrack into my usual playlist of movie soundtracks and game music. Working good so far.

I thought the story in GW1 was completely erratic. It had me during the Ascalon stuff and then abandoned that whole thread. The end was pretty generic in my eyes plot-wise. Hard to say better-worse as there's so much variation in the GW2 storylines (better than my sylvari, worse than my asura). They're both pretty drab.

I personally wish that there had been more focus on the side characters. I did the Human's "Never recovered my sister's body" chain and
she shows up later on when you're heading into Orr. So do a bunch of other people, but I'll be damned if I can remember who all of them are. And then one of them dies, and my sister's upset about it. But I can't remember who the guy is, or why she'd care. I would have LOVED to have had quests bringing me back to my home instance, or had my sister join the Pact with me and work with me on stuff. And along the way maybe a relationship between her and this random dude who sacrifices himself starts. Then I'd at least feel something when her life is threatened later, and care that the guy would die for her and why she'd be upset.

Seriously. There needs to be a lot more Tybalts, and they need to stick around for a while so you can actually care. I went Vigil and Forgal was cool, but when he sacrificed himself I couldn't help but think "I really wish they'd spent more time getting me to care about him so this really pulls at my heart strings". Edit: Chriswok knows what I'm talking about. I love that it was Colonel Campbell's VA too. I liked the character but I didn't get enough time to get to love him.

I see your point retro but they really dropped the ball on story from my perspective.

Right, my ability to create my own little story in my head in no way justifies the way the personal story is handled.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chriswok, apologize for the length on this!

At 80, there's absolutely no direction- that much is 100% inarguable fact. Once you beat the final personal story quest, you've "beaten the game"- and it's up to you to decide what you want to do afterward.

Here's the thing. It sounds a lot like you're looking for a bulleted list of "stuff to do when you log in" and I'm more than happy to provide one of those. What I'm trying to ask you is this: what is it you want to do? Not "which of the available options appeals to you, but "what do you actually want to do"? What do you want there to be that isn't there?

From your post above, I can identify three things you seem to want to do but are averse to doing-

1. WvW (I gathered from your mention of World PVP in WoW), which feels pointless to you

2. Getting unique, visually-appealing gear for your character, which you don't want to do because the methods of acquiring either dungeon tokens or gold don't appeal to you

3. The dynamic and meta events out in the world (I gathered this from your mention of the hype), which you rule out because there aren't enough people out in the world to complete

As far as specific advice with regard to those three concepts:

1. Try to only think of WvW in terms of the fun you have while playing an individual section. If you captured 3 supply camps and a couple control points in a party of 5, or stormed a keep in a zerg, that's awesome. The fact that it might get wiped away overnight has no impact on the fun you had while you were playing. Obviously, if it isn't fun for you at all there's no reason to do it (this will be a running theme so bear with me :p).

2. If you legitimately can't identify anything you want to do when you log on, what do you want the visually-appealing gear for? You'd just be standing there, just as confused at what to do, in nicer-looking clothes! ;)

The true irony is that if you literally don't want to do any of the things you can do in-game to acquire this nice-looking gear, you don't have to end up doing it anyway. You could just pay money. You could pretend that the four months that have elapsed were actually charging you WoW's $10/month (or whatever it is), buy $40 of gems, convert them to gold and go hog-wild looking up the coolest armor and weapons you could find. True, the dungeon skins would be out of your reach- but I very much like the idea that they are recognizable indicators of mastery in addition to simply looking cool.

3. Two things here, one being that, for all the complaints of the world being empty (and of course, plenty of the time you will find yourself in an empty zone, it's true), within the last week I've done meta and dynamic events in Caledon Forest, Harathi Hinterlands, Fireheart Rise, Kessex Hills, and Sparkfly Fen (this was actually on my run to Operation Tidal Sword ;)). All with 5 or more people who just happened to be out there too. And those zones are hardly the "most popular" or "typical" zones to find players in. Don't get me wrong, of course there should be more emphasis on getting players out to more parts of the world more reguarly; but the claims of desolation across the entire map are a bit exaggerated. Second, if you run into an event that you want to do but you can't because you're alone, that's exactly when you call in your guild for help! It's always a lot of fun, you get better everything from partying up, and earn influence together.

So in essence maybe a change in perspective could actually get you some enjoyment out of the things you already do want to do.

But as for a list of "what is there to do when you log on," here goes. Note that I'm completely excluding goals such as "get an infused, ascended back piece" or "get the Dungeon Master achievement" or "collect all the dyes" or "obtain a legendary," even though goals comprise a large part of my incentive to play, because those aren't the things you do, they're the result of the doing of the things. And this of course is assuming you've completed the story with one character.

Stuff to do:
-Zone/World Completion
-WvW
-Dynamic/Meta events
-Play the TP
-Dungeons
-Farm
-Mini-games: there's currently one permanent (Keg Brawl), and of the four months of release, 2 of them had events with multiple (pretty awesome) others
-Professions/crafting
-sPvP
-Fractals
-Jumping Puzzles (dunno how many you've done but many are legit tests of skill!)
-Play an Alt

If we expand it to "if you log on when there's a world event going on"
-Unique quests (i.e. the Halloween scavenger hunt)
-One-time events (i.e. the invasion of Southsun)

I've gone ahead and crossed off the things you've already ruled out yourself for one reason or another. If you go ahead and cross off the rest, it doesn't mean there's a lack of things to do in the game, it just mean's you're done with it, at least for now. I get the impression that maybe you're being influenced by a mindset that would characterize an older MMO ("welp, I'm paying for it- what should I be doing?") whereas it might help you to compare it directly to other games sold at its price point. For the money, you'd have been done with a standard AAA single-player release 50 or 100 or 300 hours prior.

So that's the stuff you can do- you just need to decide if it's fun for you to do or not. That should be what compels you to play, nothing else- if you aren't able to find a way to have fun with what's available, there's absolutely no reason to continue. Maybe in a month or a year, things will have changed and you can check out what's on offer then!

Which brings me back to my question- please do answer it. If nothing else, I'm really curious if it's stuff that I would personally want to have added to the game too and/or stuff that eventually will be. :)

Retro

3. The dynamic and meta events out in the world (I gathered this from your mention of the hype), which you rule out because there aren't enough people out in the world to complete.

I'm not saying anyone has to or that I will always be online, but if people are looking for someone to level alts with, I have three of them sort of just floating around level 20. Just putting it out there.

nataku

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/January-updates-Any-sources/first#post1136181

Colin Johanson said:
Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.

Sounds like January will be smaller than what people are expecting. I hope some of these updates actually does something with Southsun. Such a pointless zone other than the Rich Ori vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom