• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

An Ooze King! What!

Seriously though, we spent a little while poking around AC Ghost Eater once, and there are a lots of places that look like they might lead somewhere. How many people just blow past those places doing their usual run, and maybe never notice if something has changed?

Like I said above, both "There from the Start" or "Recent Addition" scenarios make me giddy with the prospect that there's more stuff out there like this waiting to be found.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You sure are my friend!

Hold RB. Flick right stick right = next target. Left = previous target. This will become so damn natural over time it's ridiculous.

Also, if you're ready for the advanced stuff a bit: while holding RB with a target selected, click the right stick to "call" it- marking it for your party. Hold RB and click the left stick to select a called target.
I accidentally zoomed in and out when holding RB and then using the right stick. I'm using some non-default bindings and I assume that's the interference. I'm going to try to map that correctly tomorrow and try it out.

The rest seems alright to me. I especially like Back and then the right analog. Its is a great way to handle pointer controls and the more common UI options.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I accidentally zoomed in and out when holding RB and then using the right stick. I'm using some non-default bindings and I assume that's the interference. I'm going to try to map that correctly tomorrow and try it out.

The rest seems alright to me. I especially like Back and then the right analog. Its is a great way to handle pointer controls and the more common UI options.
There are a small number of key bindings/tweaks you need to do to get the most out of it, they're listed in the instructions.

In basic gameplay, RB + Up/Down should be zoom in and out while RB + Left/Right will switch targets. You might have bindings which overlap with the map controls, in which RB + Left or Right are used to switch between "layers" (underground, ground level, different decks in the black citadel, etc.) rather than zoom.

Katoki

Man, whisper chat just isn't working for me. Can I just send mail for a guild invite?

That's the idea. Mail and guild invites will show up regardless of if you're online or not. Or you could leave your account name with the #### part and hope a currently online officer sees it and invites or will get to it the next chance they get to log in.

Retro

Man, whisper chat just isn't working for me. Can I just send mail for a guild invite?

If no one has gotten to you yet, send an in-game mail to Professor Retro and I'll add you asap.

Can anyone tell me which song is playing when Trahearne speaks at 13:20? Sorry it's really quiet, but it is all I could find.

I listened to it, and tried to find it on the OST. It doesn't appear to be on there. There's also this piece that plays in a lot of the Norn areas that starts with a really nice violin solo that isn't on there either.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9DZSC21uc

No track listing or title. This guy with the whole OST on there has over 100 tracks, whereas the OST Soule sells directly is only 78 tracks long. Huh.

Found that Norn-ish one too; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYId1XCkGo

Arcteryx

Dinged 80 on my Ranger this afternoon(powerleveled with crafting). Actually turned out cheaper than I thought it would with all the crazy TP prices lately(~48g total, maybe a little less due to TP/vendor reselling). I used that dynamic crafting guide from Reddit. Had a few rough parts with it where it just seemed to be buggy atm, but overall MUCH MUCH easier/cheaper than the normal guides out there.

Grayman

From the Game Covers Anagram thread, a quick and dirty photoshop by yours truly;

XP4tL.jpg

(I'm actually wearing some of those armor pieces).

that was my set i liked the most on my mesmer so far. When/If I can craft the highest stat stuff i may put that look on again.

Aquila

After reaching Fractals of the Mists level 10 and doing some dailies ever since a few days ago, I must say that I'm already almost sick of it all. FOTM bosses just seem to be even more of a damage sponge than regular explorable dungeon bosses. I am happy with the money and increasingly decent loot with a competent group though. Agony attacks just make me spam any and all healing abilities that I have and hope for the best.

I've gotten a couple of ascended rings so far, but none of them are pieces that I want to use on my elementalist. At what level should I at least have some agony resist? I can do up to level 11 and I only have 3 pristine fractal relic tokens so far.

Keasar

Just reached lvl 80 for the first time. Wooo! Time to start the grind for cooler armor and weapons...

Sunrise and Twilight in the Gaf guild whoo!

I am soooo very poor now!

How hard is it to get a legendary weapon? I have been eyeing the Sunrise for a long time now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dinged 80 on my Ranger this afternoon(powerleveled with crafting). Actually turned out cheaper than I thought it would with all the crazy TP prices lately(~48g total, maybe a little less due to TP/vendor reselling). I used that dynamic crafting guide from Reddit. Had a few rough parts with it where it just seemed to be buggy atm, but overall MUCH MUCH easier/cheaper than the normal guides out there.

Just reached lvl 80 for the first time. Wooo! Time to start the grind for cooler armor and weapons...
Grats to both of you!

Did you get your Ranger all the way from 1 with the dynamic guide?
How hard is it to get a legendary weapon? I have been eyeing the Sunrise for a long time now.
Really hard.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Basically you need to be able to get 1000 gold at least. Gotta learn how to work the TP.

After reaching Fractals of the Mists level 10 and doing some dailies ever since a few days ago, I must say that I'm already almost sick of it all. FOTM bosses just seem to be even more of a damage sponge than regular explorable dungeon bosses. I am happy with the money and increasingly decent loot with a competent group though. Agony attacks just make me spam any and all healing abilities that I have and hope for the best.

I've gotten a couple of ascended rings so far, but none of them are pieces that I want to use on my elementalist. At what level should I at least have some agony resist? I can do up to level 11 and I only have 3 pristine fractal relic tokens so far.

You can probably skate by to level 20 if you're good at dodging/surviving.

*** WARNING - LONGISH STORY THAT MAY BORE YOU TO TEARS WITH QUESTIONS AFTERWARDS ***

I finally built my new computer and plan to get into some GW2 goodness maybe by mid-January. My sis has the Collector's Edition (pre-ordered LOL) but hasn't played it due to "waiting on my punkass".

My sis is a huge GW nut, first playing in when she was stationed in Korea back in 2006. She's not really a big gamer (whereas I am), but loved the graphics and point-and-click nature of the game. She got me into it and we formed a perfect duo, her with overall knowledge of everything GW and me with gaming experience/strategy/planning. She's soloed all the GW games whereas I'm still midway through Nightfall, I'm weird about playing them one at a time :p

So to the main point: Point and click combat is dead in GW2, which means actual kiting/dodging/blocking is needed; it's been a concern for her since that's what she loved about GW. She's also a bit on the antisocial side, not really into communicating with other people unless I'm initiating it via typing/Teamspeak. Because of that, she's played the game like six times (maybe 15 minutes being her longest stretch) since she got the game. For the last 3 months I've been sending her reviews/gameplay vids, but I don't know what guys like you who own the game know.

1) What new mechanics/enemies in GW2 in-game have you seen that have made you guys say "wow"? Or have made you think "THIS is why GW2 is better than GW!"
2) Is World vs. World still broken? Do you guys think it has a future?
3) Is there really a lack of a definitive story like in prior GW games?

I guess I'm trying to build her hype to pre-GW levels again, if my computer was done in the summer she would've been back to playing 24/7 and considering her fandom I don't want her to get disillusioned with the game.

Arcteryx

*** WARNING - LONGISH STORY THAT MAY BORE YOU TO TEARS WITH QUESTIONS AFTERWARDS ***

I finally built my new computer and plan to get into some GW2 goodness maybe by mid-January. My sis has the Collector's Edition (pre-ordered LOL) but hasn't played it due to "waiting on my punkass".

My sis is a huge GW nut, first playing in when she was stationed in Korea back in 2006. She's not really a big gamer (whereas I am), but loved the graphics and point-and-click nature of the game. She got me into it and we formed a perfect duo, her with overall knowledge of everything GW and me with gaming experience/strategy/planning. She's soloed all the GW games whereas I'm still midway through Nightfall, I'm weird about playing them one at a time :p

So to the main point: Point and click combat is dead in GW2, which means actual kiting/dodging/blocking is needed; it's been a concern for her since that's what she loved about GW. She's also a bit on the antisocial side, not really into communicating with other people unless I'm initiating it via typing/Teamspeak. Because of that, she's played the game like six times (maybe 15 minutes being her longest stretch) since she got the game. For the last 3 months I've been sending her reviews/gameplay vids, but I don't know what guys like you who own the game know.

1) What new mechanics/enemies in GW2 in-game have you seen that have made you guys say "wow"? Or have made you think "THIS is why GW2 is better than GW!"

I guess I'm trying to build her hype to pre-GW levels again, if my computer was done in the summer she would've been back to playing 24/7 and considering her fandom I don't want her to get disillusioned with the game.

1) Maybe it's just me, but honestly there aren't that many monsters that have made me go "woah, that's cool". Mechanics on the other hand, yes. I think the combat is quite well done and if you ever WvW...the effects will quite literally blow you away.
2) Yes and no. The current matchups at least for SBI lately have been super stale. Definitely quite a few bugs/exploits still around and the culling still sucks(although apparently they are fixing this soonish). I think it still has future and I do enjoy it even with the flaws. If you take the time to find a smaller squad to run with it can be a very rewarding experience(zerging not so much). Just play a bit, find a commander that has a playstyle you like and stick with them.
3) I never really got super into the GW1 story(aside from the obvious world changing events), but I will say that the storymode in GW2 is quite bland and hilariously bad at times. There is a lot of "hidden" story elements, links back to GW1, that definitely take some time to find, but they are there(just not so in your face). If she doesn't mind doing dungeons, then that is my personal fav for any kind of lore. The storymode version of dungeons are well done/packed with lore(much MUCH better than the stuff you get for your personal quest).

Just from reading what you said about her, it sounds like she would LOVE the exploration GW2 has to offer. The jumping puzzles, the achievements, etc are all well done. I usually hate doing achievements, but I absolutely LOVE them in this game. Same goes for exploration, something I hardly ever do in MMOs(outside of the required journey during leveling). GW2 gets it right though. Aside from Dragon's Dogma, I've never had so much fun just dicking about in the countryside finding random stuff to go look at.

edit: You can get the pristines from dailys for fractal 10+, so just keep doing what you're doing until you get 10. Alternatively, use one of the rings you have, slap on some agony resist and use it until you get 10 pristines/a ring you can use.

You won't really need agony resist until 20+(I'd still recommend 10-15 in-case you mess up a dodge), and even then, most can be dodged(aside from Maw). Once you near 30 you'll want ~20-25 and a guardian pretty much at all times to heal those without 25 during Maw. Anything past that and you'll absolutely need 30 resist and 2+ guardians(if you want to keep all your hair).

As for the bosses, yea they are definitely bullet sponges, and some of the red ground rings for agony can be buggy(sizes not correctly shown/not shown at all), which makes a long fight...longer :(

Thank you for the reply, man!
1) Maybe it's just me, but honestly there aren't that many monsters that have made me go "woah, that's cool". Mechanics on the other hand, yes. I think the combat is quite well done and if you ever WvW...the effects will quite literally blow you away.
Hmm, disappointed on the monsters. The scale of them was so amazing at times for me in GW (Frost Wyrms and stuff). If I can hook her on combat (my biggest worry), everything else should be easier.
2) Yes and no. The current matchups at least for SBI lately have been super stale. Definitely quite a few bugs/exploits still around and the culling still sucks(although apparently they are fixing this soonish). I think it still has future and I do enjoy it even with the flaws. If you take the time to find a smaller squad to run with it can be a very rewarding experience(zerging not so much). Just play a bit, find a commander that has a playstyle you like and stick with them.
Gotcha, that shouldn't be an issue for us ... of course I'll have to initiate all of that. She's a great teammate and would be awesome in a guild but damn, she hates talking to randoms. Weird as Hell.
3) I never really got super into the GW1 story(aside from the obvious world changing events), but I will say that the storymode in GW2 is quite bland and hilariously bad at times. There is a lot of "hidden" story elements, links back to GW1, that definitely take some time to find, but they are there(just not so in your face).

Just from reading what you said about her, it sounds like she would LOVE the exploration GW2 has to offer. The jumping puzzles, the achievements, etc are all well done. I usually hate doing achievements, but I absolutely LOVE them in this game. Same goes for exploration, something I hardly ever do in MMOs(outside of the required journey during leveling). GW2 gets it right though. Aside from Dragon's Dogma, I've never had so much fun just dicking about in the countryside finding random stuff to go look at.
Exploring we both love, puzzles she's not a huge fan of. But in the GW universe I think she can be sold on it, I'll have to find an example of one on YouTube.

Is there any mechanic new to GW2 that you guys feel was complicated at first glance, like say crafting? Because that's what I'll probably send her a few notes on as well just so she's up to speed.

Arcteryx

Thank you for the reply, man!

Hmm, disappointed on the monsters. The scale of them was so amazing at times for me in GW (Frost Wyrms and stuff). If I can hook her on combat (my biggest worry), everything else should be easier.

Gotcha, that shouldn't be an issue for us ... of course I'll have to initiate all of that. She's a great teammate and would be awesome in a guild but damn, she hates talking to randoms. Weird as Hell.

Exploring we both love, puzzles she's not a huge fan of. But in the GW universe I think she can be sold on it, I'll have to find an example of one on YouTube.

Is there any mechanic new to GW2 that you guys feel was complicated at first glance, like say crafting? Because that's what I'll probably send her a few notes on as well just so she's up to speed.

Don't get me wrong, there are some HUGE/cool looking bosses(mostly in fractals, but some dungeons have pretty cool bosses, and a few events too - that statue in Orr that comes alive), but I think a lot of the smaller riff-raf is just your run of the mill enemy.

Crafting isn't too bad, although some of the crafts can be a little counter-intuitive(most have multiple elements to craft something, whereas some only require one element). I guess it really depends on what craft you choose. Cooking can be really simple/cheap, whereas others can be kind of complex later on/expensive.

One of my biggest gripes is the lack of tooltips/explanation in lower levels. I seriously did not know that you could equip underwater skill until I almost hit 80 on my first character lol. Also with refunding skillpoints, people were complaining about having to buy the skillbook again, when all you need to do is just talk to your trainer :p. There are a lot of little things like that; maybe check through this thread an see if you can search for "tips" or "things you wished you had known". I think we had some posts maybe in the first OT about that.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

The giants in this game look like actual giants and not just enlarged enemies. Everything about their design is perfect, right down to their Homer Simpson heads.

So I hope buying armor sets from the Gem Store isn't too frowned upon, because that Primeval Armor set is pretty kick ass all in Ebony (with a hint of Midnight Yew).

Fought Tequatl the Sunless for the first time today. I know there's not much in the way of tactics other than "Survive" for these big dragon fights, but I'll be damned if I don't love them anyway.

Warrior Shout/Support build is fantastic, glad you like it.

I switched to this build for a few months now, with a full set of Soldier Runes (+Vit / +Tough / Shouts remove a condition) and it's really been fantastic. I went with the +Precision / +Vitality / + Healing armor from AC as an experiment to see how much healing I could eek out (and since the tokens are easy to get).

Still putting out respectable damage (with that much precision, it's kinda expected), and heal for about 2000 per shout at 80. I still need to get better accessories though. For the weapon sigil I went with Superior Blood, which heals on every crit (well, 2 second cooldown). I don't remember off the top of my head how much it heals, but it's respectable. I've been thinking of swapping it out for something, just not sure what yet.

If you had asked me before GW2 launched if I would be running a healing build on my Warrior, I'd have probably laughed, but we do extremely well in dungeons (with everyone on the ball, we've cleared Ghost Eater in about 15 mins).

This is one of the reasons I love this game. We're both going for similar build ideas, but the game is flexible enough that I can go for a Axe/Shield setup (focusing more on defense and stacking vulnerability while maintaining some damage), and not feel like I'm some noob with a shitty build who will never be useful in a group.

Rawk Hawk

So I hope buying armor sets from the Gem Store isn't too frowned upon, because that Primeval Armor set is pretty kick ass all in Ebony (with a hint of Midnight Yew).

Fought Tequatl the Sunless for the first time today. I know there's not much in the way of tactics other than "Survive" for these big dragon fights, but I'll be damned if I don't love them anyway.

I'm planning the Profane set for my Necro for a GW1 throwback:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Necromancer_Profane_armor

So certainly not looked down on by me.

Basically you need to be able to get 1000 gold at least. Gotta learn how to work the TP.

I've got lots of work to do, then. I just dinged 66 yesterday and have only ever had a single gold at one time. (Doesn't help that I'm spending my monies on the TP to level up crafting.)

Getting 1K gold when I have to hustle to get 1 to unlock my 2nd level class trait book is going to be NUTS. :(

Vossler

I bought the primeval set as well. Going to try to make my guard look like Kain from FFIV.

Retro

Ha. That's interesting, cause I wanted to go for a bit of a Dark Knight look. I've been following FFXIV:ARR and it put me in that sort of mood.

I'm on my phone so I don't have pictures, but there is a great looking set from Orr that might give you some options. The Twilight Arbor vendor in LA is wearing it, but it's all karma gear from Straits and Malchor's. I wear it on my warrior, so if you've seen me at any of our guild events, that's it.

What I have got at the most ever at one point in time:

2 gold and 50 silver....

Nice looking weapon scratched off the list. :(

There's some decent weapons out there, I don't know what you like but there are options. Dungeon weapons especially.

I'm on my phone so I don't have pictures, but there is a great looking set from Orr that might give you some options. The Twilight Arbor vendor in LA is wearing it, but it's all karma gear from Straits and Malchor's. I wear it on my warrior, so if you've seen me at any of our guild events, that's it.

I'm actually not in the guild yet. I keep meaning to send out a piece of mail and then getting distracted. SHould do that today if I get a chance to get on.

I've got lots of work to do, then. I just dinged 66 yesterday and have only ever had a single gold at one time. (Doesn't help that I'm spending my monies on the TP to level up crafting.)

Getting 1K gold when I have to hustle to get 1 to unlock my 2nd level class trait book is going to be NUTS. :(

Level 55, have about 4 gold. When I play, I usually do the Daily achievements so that gives me some coins. Haven't done much crafting though (I think the highest I've gotten is 50 in Tailor).

Have yet to buy my 2nd trait book since I'm not sure what to spec. So I currently have almost 10 in everything. Haha.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well at one point i was making and selling superior runes of the soldier. It was pretty great times since I was making 30-50 gold a day depending on the demand. But it's gotten so competitive and the prices have gone down so much that I haven't bothered in a while.

Retro

1. Hit level 80.
2. Run CoF1 and AC ghosteater
3. ???
4. Profit

Usually 2-3g a night, which you can hoard or put towards playing the TP. You may also make more if rares or exotics drop, selling them straight or breaking then down for ectos. Some sigils sell really well too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What I have got at the most ever at one point in time:

2 gold and 50 silver....

Nice looking weapon scratched off the list. :(
There are tons of nice-looking weapon skins that can be obtained for 1/1000th the effort of a legendary. Like, really, a lot. The game has an impressive number of different-looking weapons.

If you know a certain style you're interested in we might even be able to suggest something.

Serra

Nothing in GW2 is better than the original Guild Wars. Well, the graphics.

It has some cool things though.

I think having 5 skills coming from your weapon sets is very interesting , as is the level scaling (and downscaling) meaning you can play with friends very easily. Some of the class systems are cool, like the mesmers. Having dodging in the game makes some of the dungeon bosses pretty interesting, for atleast the first few times.

Haven't played in a while, its fun if you like zerging around. I don't like it that much. Unless they make drastic changes (WWW should be getting some love soon-ish) I think the population will drop alot.

I didn't like the story at all and only played through it since people hyped it up. You can really just ignore it if you don't like it.

GW2 is a pretty weird game, I don't even like it that much, yet I have put around 80h into it. Its incredibly casual friendly, it looks pretty *shrug* and I would recommend you and your sister give it a whirl.

I will say it's harder to play the TP than it was a few months back. The population is smaller and people have become more aware with items. Not to mention the market is shared by all the servers making things like flipping a lot harder due to the sheer volume of people. Though there was some ways to make some slow, yet steady money like flipping dyes (well before Anet wrecked the market with their adjustments to the drop rate). The big money is in speculation. Of course, as we seen with the BLC chests during Halloween, it could backfire spectacularly:

phases.png

Katoki

The big money is in speculation. Of course, as we seen with the BLC chests during Halloween, it could backfire spectacularly

Good thing the chests were pretty inexpensive. I have too many chests on the TP that I don't want to pull off because I wouldn't have anywhere to put them.

Keasar

I was looking at the different armor sets and if not my math is completely off, I have to run a dungeon a minimal of 23 times in order to get a full dungeon armor set. While I know this is quite little compared to other MMOs (hint-hint), I still get exhausted at the thought of running through the same dungeon 23 times over and over. :/

1. Hit level 80.
2. Run CoF1 and AC ghosteater
3. ???
4. Profit

Usually 2-3g a night, which you can hoard or put towards playing the TP. You may also make more if rares or exotics drop, selling them straight or breaking then down for ectos. Some sigils sell really well too.

I am absolutely terrible with money so I would most likely just loose money playing the market. So I would have to do 300 dungeon runs to get a legendary weapon. Well, I guess I am done with Guild Wars 2 then. Reached lvl 80, I won I think.

Levyne

Banned
I started out making a long rambling post, but deleted it and here are the excerpts:

I like the story (and its presentation) way more in GW1

Guild Wars 2, however, has a world that feels much more alive. Many more unique npcs, interactions, unique little reward consumables, etc. The dynamic event system helps this.

Story missions encouraged to take a team into with bonus objectives, repeatable, and eventually hard mode >> personal story without a lot of incentive to team up.

The active combat is much better in GW2, no contest, but I miss the larger pool of skills, the complexities of secondary classes, and still haven't fully come around to having half your bar decided by your weapons. I think I like the dropping of the trinity but that's mainly because it was hard to find groups in GW1 if you weren't either a War Ele or Monk, or ran 1 or 2 viable builds on the other classes (Burning Arrows Conditioner or SplinterWeapon/BarragePet on ranger for instance.)

I generally like the dungeons in GW2 better, but something of the scale of the Elite Missions (FoW, Underworld, Sorrows Furnace, Deep/Warren, Mallyx, Slaver's) is needed Imo. I guess Arah is close-ish and I shouldn't complain about that until I complete all the paths.

GvG. Where the hell is it.

Some other unique PvP styles like Alliance Battles, Fort Aspenwood, or Jade Quarry would be cool.

Hmm, this post ended up being pretty long anyways...

FINALLY got my Juggernaut the other day! Couldn't be more happy, thing is a beast and the effects it gets from various environments are amazing, especially on T3 Sylvari armor.

http://imgur.com/a/umRt2#0

If you're a Warrior or Guardian on the fence about what legendary to go for, your search is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom