• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I haven't commented on the whole thing, and I wasn't going to. This is the only thing I'll say.

Ashodin met a girl online and went to visit her. That's fine; I met my wife via the internet (granted, we knew each other for over ten years before we met in person, rather than two weeks) and it's really not a big deal. There are dating sites all over the place, so the stigma once associated with "meetin gurlz on teh net" is pretty much non-existent.

When he created a thread with lots of details on an internet message board, making it a very public affair, that was asking for trouble. He also continually posted details, poking the bear. I don't think anyone is ignorant of how internet communities tend to take things too far, lose perspective of the person behind the poster, and generally act like a pack of assholes when group-think revs up.

So while he's not directly to blame for people tracking down his personal information, her facebook page, and the general ugly mockery and nastiness that went on in that thread, he should have known it was going to happen and not started the thread at all.

Ash is a good guy who made a really really big mistake. I talked to him for a second or two on steam today and he said things are going good, they've both seen the thread and apparently it's not a problem.

I really don't think people need to worry about playing in the same guild as him, it was the usual internet drama and it doesn't really reflect poorly on anyone else by association. The longest lasting effects of this will probably just be the GIFs.

So apparently story mode Twilight Arbor is where I am able to pull off badass things for whatever reason. Was running it with some gaffers today, and we wiped on the second boss. We tried again, and everyone but me went down, and I was able to survive and hold him off until everyone made it back.

God I love this game.

Sorry I missed the guild event today. I had rehearsal for a show.

zulfate

Thanks for showing me the entrance to the JP. I was totally lost, lol.

I was the oogly one. :c

Bwuahahaha i laughed so hard when i saw you run back and forth looking for the entrance when it was like a 15 minute run (without waypoints) to the real entrance. Had a good time with everyone wish we can do this more often.

I could've sworn i used to be able to see guild mates on the map but maybe im crazy

TrounceX

So apparently story mode Twilight Arbor is where I am able to pull off badass things for whatever reason. Was running it with some gaffers today, and we wiped on the second boss. We tried again, and everyone but me went down, and I was able to survive and hold him off until everyone made it back.

God I love this game.

Sorry I missed the guild event today. I had rehearsal for a show.

Yeah haha that was crazy! Totally saved us. That fight was randomly hard as heck, mostly because I kept getting poisoned.

And I'm Chasecs btw everyone. I've been running a lot of dungeons with GAF members lately and it's been mostly awesome, certainly better than with randoms. I do sometimes feel like a burden though because everyone has done these dungeons so many times, and all the different tactics are just assumed. Often times I'm just totally lost or struggling to keep up :/

But yeah besides that I just wanted to post a general thank you to most of gafguild for helping me out. You guys are awesome.

Levyne

Banned
Me and...Xernom? (Human Ele, iirc, forget his name ;-;) ran into Parma's teleporter and did some events in Calx's Hideout. Wasn't a whole lot of payoff, but still pretty cool.]

Finally got my Ele to 35. Dungeon time!

It would be interesting read of the dev history of GW2. A UI dev at SA admitted as much that the TP as it is now is just a prototype they decided to expand and ship with:

As much as I like the game, I do agree there's just an overall clunkiness that can really sour the experience.

I used to think the UI was great at first, but it's starting to annoy me now. It takes up too much of the screen still. Sure you can remove it all, but I'd really like the option of shrinking it.

Ghost23

i can't wait til my ele's dungeonable. Got to 22 from 19 in our shenanigans today.

I find dungeons with ele's quite difficult. It would probably be easier to use staff, but D/D is so much more fun!

Khold said:
Me and...Xernom? (Human Ele, iirc, forget his name ;-;) ran into Parma's teleporter and did some events in Calx's Hideout. Wasn't a whole lot of payoff, but still pretty cool.

Yea that was cool, though that Asura couldn't walk any slower. And yea, it's Xornam (I couldn't think of a name). :p

Retro

Yeah haha that was crazy! Totally saved us. That fight was randomly hard as heck, mostly because I kept getting poisoned.

And I'm Chasecs btw everyone. I've been running a lot of dungeons with GAF members lately and it's been mostly awesome, certainly better than with randoms. I do sometimes feel like a burden though because everyone has done these dungeons so many times, and all the different tactics are just assumed. Often times I'm just totally lost or struggling to keep up :/

But yeah besides that I just wanted to post a general thank you to most of gafguild for helping me out. You guys are awesome.

I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, so definitely speak up if you don't know a fight. Hopefully they give you the basics rather than specific details, as part of the fun is figuring it out for yourself. Semi-related Mini-rant incoming.

One of my biggest pet peeves with MMOs is that people expect you to know the specifics of a fight before you ever do it, by looking it up on the Wiki, Youtube, etc. I liken it to playing, say Zelda, with the strategy guide in your lap. And that's bullshit.
JUWnj.gif

Best boss fight I've had in GW2 was the Power Suit at the end of the Dredge Fractal when they first came out. Nobody knew what the fight entailed, so we crept into the room, looked around, and figured it out. I don't think we even beat him, but it was a blast figuring it out for ourselves instead of learning the dance steps before hand. It helps a lot that GW2's bosses are a tad more unpredictable because there's no aggro management. Hopefully when ArenaNet does their dungeon revamp, they make all of the bosses more interesting. Too many damage sponges in there right now.

/rant

Weekend GW2 crowd seem pretty horrible. Never really played during the weekend before, but those doing Dungeons I'm going to liken to the typical WoW Dungeon zergers.

hythloday

We want you back Chriswok. <3<3<3

one of us. one of us. one of us.

Although, I HAVE to throw this in here, each of us is a "random" to someone else and just because they don't have a GAF tag doesn't mean they're all weeaboos. /soapbox

That said, there's a lotta dumb people out there.

Retro

Although, I HAVE to throw this in here, each of us is a "random" to someone else and just because they don't have a GAF tag doesn't mean they're all weeaboos. /soapbox

That said, there's a lotta dumb people out there.

GAFers are Assholes, but so am I, and they're my kind of assholes. I trust them to know how to play videogames, at least, and know better than to go AFK during a boss fight or any of the other crap PUGs pull.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are a few paths that are okay with PUGs in that you can just sort of compensate for the entire team with prior knowledge, but generally they were definitely designed for people who will communicate and have a little patience with one another...

Rawk Hawk

The event really got going once everyone was picking on me!

It's what unites us. Once we all had a common goal, the rest was a cake walk.

Had a lot of fun with it all, the JP afterwords was pretty good too. Not going to lie, watching people fall is still pretty amusing (unless it's me in which case my keyboard messed up or there was a lag spike or something).

Hit 80 today and got an AC axe. There's still a ton of game in front of me, too. Still plenty of dungeons I haven't run, and only about 35 percent or so of the map completed, and I haven't even tried Fractals yet (waiting until they make those changes to it).

I wonder what kind of content is going to be added in expansions. Well, actually, what I wonder is *how* they're going to add stuff. Like, if they add more races, how will they work in the personal story? Will they be incorporated into the Zhaitan story? Will they do their own thing? Will they add more tiers of gear even though a lot of people were pissed about Ascended Gear?

Hit 80 today and got an AC axe. There's still a ton of game in front of me, too. Still plenty of dungeons I haven't run, and only about 35 percent or so of the map completed, and I haven't even tried Fractals yet (waiting until they make those changes to it).

I wonder what kind of content is going to be added in expansions. Well, actually, what I wonder is *how* they're going to add stuff. Like, if they add more races, how will they work in the personal story? Will they be incorporated into the Zhaitan story? Will they do their own thing? Will they add more tiers of gear even though a lot of people were pissed about Ascended Gear?

We know one thing for sure that GW2 will have true expansions as opposed to stand alone releases that GW1 "expansions" got.

I see them adding new classes over new races.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I predict, with the addition of new races in a full expansion, a storyline addition in that expansion that all characters (even 80s) can participate in, and ties into the revealing of the new races. Creating a new character as one of them would have their personal story focus in on the backstory of the new expansion storyline, rather than retconning them into the invasion of Orr.

I didn't realise till you and Retro showed the map how much of the world is untouched still. So much room for more content. However, I am glad they're working on the current content first.

I was thinking about this the other night in another context and rather than/as well as new races/classes, I'd like new weapons/abilities for existing ones:

1) Ranger: Raptors (seriously why no raptors?)
2) Warriors/Guardians: 2H Axes
3) Engineers: Minigun kit/turrets
4) Thieves: A good set of unarmed skills. Thieves already have "light" spells which is where you equip one 1h weapon and I've never seen it used in the wild. It'd be nice to see this developed into a full set of spells, although some sort of item for stats would have to be implemented (also would help with weapon swapping issues).

I didn't really get anywhere with ideas for casters...

On another topic, I respecced my thief alt to be crit (power/precision) d/d and p/p and holy $%^*. Still not hitting for 10K like the combat log has opponents doing (but am only a scaled up level 35), but it's still pretty awesome.

ThinFinn

One of my biggest pet peeves with MMOs is that people expect you to know the specifics of a fight before you ever do it, by looking it up on the Wiki, Youtube, etc. I liken it to playing, say Zelda, with the strategy guide in your lap. And that's bullshit.
JUWnj.gif

Funny how you should mention it, this is exactly what I do in the past.

In fact, I still do check out guides if I'm shooting for a 100% completion.

Granted, this may hinder my enjoyment with a particular product and it may even question the notion of why I'm even gaming in the first place (to fulfill a sense of adventure and the immersion of a whole new world).

I just don't have the time nor patience to explore the remaining content at a chance of discovering hidden secrets.

Oh, I also can't stand the idea of passing out on content(items/characters/minor plot lines) which can be missed after a certain point within the game.

You should try this online strategy game. It got me interested from the first time I played it. The more you play, the more options you have, and you can convert your virtual currency into real money, too. I am so glad that there are browser-based strategy games, too, nowadays. With just a few minutes of your time a day, you can make pretty much extra money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You should try this online strategy game. It got me interested from the first time I played it. The more you play, the more options you have, and you can convert your virtual currency into real money, too. I am so glad that there are browser-based strategy games, too, nowadays. With just a few minutes of your time a day, you can make pretty much extra money.
What a reasonable and substantive suggestion! Enjoy your stay :D

Retro

Funny how you should mention it, this is exactly what I do in the past.

In fact, I still do check out guides if I'm shooting for a 100% completion.

I can understand if you're going for 100% completion, but I don't think I could ever do this. Reading the solution to puzzles, boss fights, etc. and then doing it would take all of the fun out of it. Sure, it takes more time, but it's more rewarding doing it yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But does it use the Trinity?
:lol

There's one thing I'm not looking forward to in trying out TERA. GW2 has definitely convinced me the trinity is not ideal and I think a lot of people who are really into TERA are on the "trinity exists for a reason" side.

:lol

There's one thing I'm not looking forward to in trying out TERA. GW2 has definitely convinced me the trinity is not ideal and I think a lot of people who are really into TERA are on the "trinity exists for a reason" side.

It's interesting. My cousin (who I've gamed with since I was a small child) is a big WoW player, and, while he likes GW2, he is convinced that the trinity is a better system for team play, and I just can't agree.

His point is that strict team roles force teamwork, but I've always felt more like a cog in a machines than a team member in WoW. I feel like this method allows for more individuality and flexibility among the team. The problem is that people seem to think teamwork isn't required, which is why dungeons are considered as difficult as they are. IMO, anyway.

Rawk Hawk

It's interesting. My cousin (who I've gamed with since I was a small child) is a big WoW player, and, while he likes GW2, he is convinced that the trinity is a better system for team play, and I just can't agree.

His point is that strict team roles force teamwork, but I've always felt more like a cog in a machines than a team member in WoW. I feel like this method allows for more individuality and flexibility among the team. The problem is that people seem to think teamwork isn't required, which is why dungeons are considered as difficult as they are. IMO, anyway.

I agree completely. I think in a trinity game like WoW, "teamwork" will be more prevalent, or at least what they perceive as teamwork. But in a game like GW2, teamwork actually feels more like teamwork. You have to coordinate with your team members to figure out who is going to fill what roles. When I do dungeons on Guardian, I always coordinate with others to see what we need, no point in me bringing something like 'shouts convert conditions into boons' if other people already have good condition management tools. That's something I never got from a trinity game, my build going into any fight was going to be exactly the same, where in this game I use different skill bars for a lot of things.

Helps keep the game fresh and new.

I will say trinity is helpful when you are new, coming into a new game without defined roles like GW2 can feel overwhelming. But after a couple hundred hours of the game, I'm very happy I'm not bound by those limits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the benefit of the trinity is that forcing people into roles based on their class makes it easier for a team with the "right" makeup to succeed by simply following a script, so to speak. That is, as long as you've got the right classes and people can play their classes relatively well, the group will succeed equally across all scenarios. The tradeoff is that a team needs those roles filled by the right classes or the group will be severely handicapped.

GW2's alternative avoids this negative consequence by requiring adaptation and teamwork at the sacrifice of guaranteed consistency. So you can succeed anywhere- in dungeons, doing events, in WvW, whatever- with a team composed of any classes. You'll be better-suited to some tasks than others and have to compensate more or less in certain encounters based on your group, but everyone can adequately heal. Anyone can resurrect. Anyone can jump into the fray and try to pull an enemy off its target. You certainly can't guarantee a stable baseline level of success for a team, because a team could have an endless combination of classes synergizing in different ways. The most obvious benefit is that suddenly, any 5 people will do. There's no asking what class you are before accepting you on a dungeon run.

People come down on different sides of the issue and there are plenty of valid positions to take, but I definitely ascribe to the theory that the trinity system was holding the genre back. GW2 is more flexible and less restrictive as well as diffusing responsibility for certain important actions to the whole team rather than one or two players.

Meanwhile, I still think GW2's system just makes things into a ridiculous clusterfuck that rewards individual action over team work in many instances and that it suffers gravely from a lack of focus.

Personally I would have preferred that they kept things more in line with the trinity while also letting every class fulfill each role in the trinity depending on how they're built, instead of just cutting out tanks and healers entirely. The biggest problem with the trinity as it is is just the trouble of getting the right classes more than anything else. Letting all classes fill each role and switching between them freely solves that problem handily.

Trey

Meanwhile, I still think GW2's system just makes things into a ridiculous clusterfuck that rewards individual action over team work in many instances and that it suffers gravely from a lack of focus.

Personally I would have preferred that they kept things more in line with the trinity while also letting every class fulfill each role in the trinity depending on how they're built, instead of just cutting out tanks and healers entirely. The biggest problem with the trinity as it is is just the trouble of getting the right classes more than anything else. Letting all classes fill each role and switching between them freely solves that problem handily.

Anet designed it so that individual accomplishments benefit everyone. If you eating, everybody eating. It's more straightforward in design. Roles can be assumed by anyone at any moment.

True, but doesn't allowing every class to outright perform every role of the trinity negate the point of choosing a class?
Huh? What? Really?

I...

I don't even know what to say to that.

I mean, look at Guild Wars 2. I mean just look at the classes. Are you telling me that GW2's system somehow creates more reasons to choose a particular class with the absence of the trinity than if it did have the trinity? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I mean when you pick a necromancer you are picking a necromancer, regardless of whether or not it's for tanking or support or just killing things with condition damage. I fail to see how letting them tank, heal, or DPS in alternating circumstances negates the point of choosing to be a necromancer.

Hell, you can get creative with this stuff. Like a warrior "healer" who heals by using attacks that life drain and spread the healing to teammates, or a ranger "tank" who tanks by grabbing aggro and using plant shields grown out of the ground to negate incoming damage, and stuff like that. There's nothing inherently interesting or creative about everyone just being a DPS-tank-healer, it just removes interdependencies and makes things much, MUCH more difficult for newer players.

I should note that none of this would really be necessary if the game had better combat - as in better tells, better dodges (shorter dodges with less or no cooldown, or timed blocks/parries), attacks with more start-up and recovery frames (both are almost nonexistent for many standard mob attacks), and so on. I still contend that GW2's half-way point between MMO and action combat obfuscates the action and makes things even more impenetrable for new players, especially with the huge, huge gulf between open-world and dungeon content.

Rawk Hawk

Huh? What? Really?

I don't think it's as crazy of a thought as you seem to think it is. Right now a necromancer can heal a group a little via a regen on a mark and their healing well, but both aren't insanely out of line with what a Necromancer would be. Now if I turned my Necromancer into something with a skill bar full of healing, raising and condition removing, then I would question their death magic alignment. Certainly would be possible to make minions or other necromancery things heal everyone, but it doesn't fit with their lore, at least not to me. Which like he suggests would just blur the reason to choose a necromancer, should just have a class called mage for people to pick.

Either way, I can see how both are appealing, and can certainly see why people like the trinity. I'm just glad there is an option now for the people who aren't the biggest fans of it.

nataku

I'd rather not have the trinity. Even if you give every class the ability to tank, heal and DPS you still have to convince people to be tanks or healers. Personally, I don't like either role, and would rather not do it. I know I'm not alone in that, either. They're both very demanding roles that have a lot of pressure and blame that go along with them and a lot of people just don't want to deal with that. It creates a lot of negative feelings and finger pointing that really causes players in the community to start to hate one another, IMO.

I wouldn't want to get into arguments in groups about who is tanking or healing, or be suddenly forced to do one when the group gets together and the person who said they would tank or heal decided they don't want to after all.

I generally like the flow of combat in GW2 but agree they need better tells for big hits. One shots need to go, IMO. They could bring you near death, but it's not fun going from full health to downed and having no idea what just hit you because there wasn't a tell for it, or the mess of spell effects made it impossible to see whatever subtle tell there was. I wouldn't mind some soft of active parry system that reduces but doesn't eliminate damage, either. Something independent of weapon skills, so they can take away those parry skills some weapons have and put something better in it's place.

Was running around Metrica Province looking for one more event to complete my Daily and happened to get a Silver contribution for a random nearby quest. I'll take it.

I hope they implement sorting soon. My inventory's getting full of different weapons and armour pieces.

Was running around Metrica Province looking for one more event to complete my Daily and happened to get a Silver contribution for a random nearby quest. I'll take it.

I hope they implement sorting soon. My inventory's getting full of different weapons and armour pieces.

You have that many weapons/armor pieces that your inventory is full?! 0__o Do you not sell any of it or use bank space?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you telling me that GW2's system somehow creates more reasons to choose a particular class with the absence of the trinity than if it did have the trinity?
It's clear that you just don't agree with it, but my answer to this would be "yes," and also that the reasons are pretty obvious to me.

I'm just picking the class I want to play. I don't have to think about how desirable that class will be when forming a party nor what level of pressure I will have on me to keep the entire team from failing.

Regardless, at high levels I couldn't possibly agree with the premise that the game rewards individual action over teamwork. Coordinated teamwork will always provide the biggest advantage and most consistent success in any situation, and in some it is outright necessary for any level of success at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom