• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I've got (more or less) 1 of each at the moment with 1 spare slot.

1. Asura Guardian <--- Only one I've really played (lvl 80).
2. Norn Warrior
3. Human Warrior
4. Human Mesmer
5. Human Thief
6. Norn Ranger
7. Norn Elementalist
8. Sylvari Necromancer
9. Charr Engineer
10. ???

Huh, multiples of the same profession seems kind of redundant. If you like the Guardian, Warrior would be an easy transition, though I've heard complaints that they're boring (I've never noticed, any time that happens I have a bunch of weapons I can swap in to change it up).

That said, I've also been having a blast on my Elementalist lately, Dagger/Dagger is pretty wild and surprisingly melee-ish for a cloth-wearing caster class. Since Kos and Hawkian have already suggested it, let me go ahead and make it a solid three; give Ele a try.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think dagger/dagger is what I'm meant to do as an ele, but it's really different than what I expected. Need some better armor than level 5 cloth first of all, lol

Retro

Looks like a minor update just went live, here's the notes:

• Fixed a bug when previewing racial armors from other races.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to acquire multiple pets summoned by the Ogre Pet Whistle.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed tonics to be used repeatedly in quick succession.

The Multiple classes doesn't bother me as being redundant as they look different and are used differently.

That's what I figured. I guess it saves you money on respecs, and having a different goal or style for each one honestly isn't a bad idea at all.

Trey

I think dagger/dagger is what I'm meant to do as an ele, but it's really different than what I expected. Need some better armor than level 5 cloth first of all, lol

D/D is great but I've grown really fond of a staff. I should really check out all the sets of the ele. I've literally run nothing outside of those two.

Arucardo

Bought this on a whim last night and been playing most of the day, wasn't expecting to have this much fun with the game. I even played in the alpha for some hours but at the time I was really burned out on any MMO stuff and it left a bad taste in my mouth about this.

Guess I'll try to join the GAF EU guild at some point.

Bought this on a whim last night and been playing most of the day, wasn't expecting to have this much fun with the game. I even played in the alpha for some hours but at the time I was really burned out on any MMO stuff and it left a bad taste in my mouth about this.

Guess I'll try to join the GAF EU guild at some point.

I think the GAF EU guild disbanded and most just joined GAF NA guild, which is in SBI. Check out the OP to find out who the officers are then send them a mail in-game and they will add you.

Arucardo

I think the GAF EU guild disbanded and most just joined GAF NA guild, which is in SBI. Check out the OP to find out who the officers are then send them a mail in-game and they will add you.

Oh yeah, having looked at the gafguild forums that seems to be the case. Maybe I'll jump over to NA if the ping isn't unbearable.

ThinFinn

Hard to play ele alt after running war for so damn long.

I die so fast. ;_;

Least I'm halfway to 80 already.

I know that feel.

I was playing a mesmer myself and had a hard time against mobs even when it was 1v1.

Granted, I'm only at 7 so things might get better as I level.

Are there any tips for elite engineer skills? I hear that supply crate is the only good one, but i would like second opinion. Also I'm rolling a sylvari so are any of their's good? Tbh I have no idea on good builds to run w/ engineer. Right now I looking into extended boon/condition but idk

Are there any tips for elite engineer skills? I hear that supply crate is the only good one, but i would like second opinion. Also I'm rolling a sylvari so are any of their's good? Tbh I have no idea on good builds to run w/ engineer. Right now I looking into extended boon/condition but idk
Well, I'm not totally clear on engineer elites, but I have experience on racials.

Long story short: Don't use racial elites if you plan on being effective.

r4z4

Supply crate is the most useful in most situations I think, it can also be upgraded with a trait to add additional turrets.

Mortar has its uses in WvW but not a big fan of Elixir X. As an Asura I find a couple of my racial Elites more useful than both of them.

Build wise it depends on what you want to do (level in PvE, dungeons/FOTM or WvW) and your play style. The versatility of the engineer is great so it's so hard to stick with one set of skills. I personally run a Pistol/Pistol/Elixir build most of the time focused on condition damage, I love the low cool downs and speed,

Wallach

Supply Crate is an all-around solid elite. It's a blast finisher, it stuns, it drops a lot of useful stuff on the field which can be picked up by you or other players. There aren't really any situations where you're going to be thinking "oh no, I have Supply Crate equipped" because you can find a use for it in just about any situation.

Mortar is honestly kind of junk that you will likely never want to use outside of a few very specific WvW considerations. It needs significant change. I have not slotted this skill in quite some time.

Elixir X is actually a pretty decent elite but has a narrower scope than Supply Crate. You don't get to control which effect you get, so its best used in situations where either effect will be potent. The rampage form has incredible single-target control, does okay damage for power-based builds and gives you a good movement ability in THE ELBOW. Plus it is great fun. The tornado form has both good AoE damage and AoE control potential, but you need to be careful that you aren't doing more harm than good with the knockbacks since you have no real control over the directions they get tossed. You're also much less mobile during this form; I think your health is still modified like it is in rampage form but you have no additional mitigation, so you might need to cancel this form early in some cases to save yourself. This elite does count as an elixir for the purposes of other elixir-based traits (last I played anyway) so it can be boosted in more ways than our other elites.

Best place(price) to get the game?

The best price I've heard of is a buddy of mine who bought it off eBay for $45, and the seller was awesome enough to send him the code so he could play in the meantime.

People should roll a thief as well to learn how to dodge well.

I've got a L16 Sylvari Thief, but it's awkward not being human. :/ Getting past that though. Still a great class. Shadow Shot is sweeeeeet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All the dual skills are quite good if not all equally useful. Pistol Whip definitely got me through some of the tougher sections of the game.

My cousin is trying to use a thief and he says it's not clicking with him. Feels like he's dying way too quick. He likes D/D and P/P weapons. Any advice?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, Shortbow. If he feels like he's dying too much D/D is to be avoided until he's more confident with his build.

P/P can pump out plenty of damage from a distance. Make sure he's using Shadow Refuge, it's essentially a get out of jail free card once a minute.

I'd also recommend P/D. Dancing Dagger is a wonderful skill to have from a distance, and Cloak and Dagger + Sneak Attack pumps damage and stacks bleed.

Rawk Hawk

I agree with Hawkian here. My thief is still only lv12, but using P/D and it's great. Cloak + Dagger, Hide in Shadows and Blinding Powder mean I usually have a stealth up to sneak away or rapid fire off sneak attack. I use shadow strike (pistol #3) and dancing dagger (dagger #4) quickly to get away and cripple for some extra shots as well, if I'm fighting a veteran or something like that.

Biggest issue I have is being overwhelmed by multiple enemies, but that's why I decided on blinding powder to use while leveling, usually gives me enough time to get to safety. Certainly not like when leveling guardian and I could just tank everything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah you're definitely not looking at being able to tank anything with a Thief until way late game if you focus a build on it. That said they're the best in the game for losing aggro. You basically always have a way to do so in every situation. When to steal, when to stealth, when to retreat- managing that is the key to survival against multiple enemies.

For those of you who have been following Ash's saga on the OT I have a joke for you.

"He's a guardian with no alts... you'd think he would understand the importance of Protection."

Katoki

If it helps any, my set up is p/p and s/p for dungeons and general roaming with Signet of Malice(PvE) or Hide in Shadows (PvP) using Shadow Refuge, Blinding Powder, Movement speed signet, and the Thieves Guild as elite. I very seldom find a "good" opportunity to use Dagger Storm in PvE whereas there are a lot of "great" and "excellent" opportunities in WvW.

If d/d is absolutely preferred, I would say to take up the precision signet for +1 init per 10 seconds and the master trait under Acrobatics for the +2/10 seconds. That way the build in dodge that Death Blossom has can be taken advantage of provided it's not being spammed really hard.

I find most dual skills most useful if you allow a second or two before using it again as a re-positioning time to let the initiative build back up a tick.

I personally find p/d great for changing it up when bored but overall the straight p/p burst from Unload is superior. P/D is great for control in PvE but YMMV in PvP/WvW since people don't stay still long enough for your short dagger reach to make Shadow Strike and C&D remotely useful sometimes. Going back to p/p unload, I've seen up to 7.5k crits on the 8th shot for unload with a bit of vulnerability already on the target. I notice the damage goes up as the shot count goes up so you can do the math there on damage output.

For those of you who have been following Ash's saga on the OT I have a joke for you.

"He's a guardian with no alts... you'd think he would understand the importance of Protection."

This OT?

Katoki

Off Topic.

Edit: Oh.

Edit 2: I thunk about it prior to hitting refresh after editing this post before seeing yours putting two and two together.

Edit 3: I think it would work for GW2 anyway because it's not like it's been doing him any good in-game.

ZetaEpyon

I really hope guesting gets added sooner rather than later, would be cool to do some stuff with you guys. I'm on Crystal Desert, and unlikely to transfer since I'm playing with friends here.

Trey

Ashodin, post if you're okay. Or have fingers to type with. We know you're watching.

Oh wait, he got Bish slapped.

zon

Take it away Ash! (credit goes to Prophet_Steve in realgaf)

imaNdjBbGkXda.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually surprised that he got banned; doesn't seem like the amount of time that had passed since his claim warranted that.

Katoki

Going to try to make it at least for that reactor part of the event. Don't have time on a Saturday for the first time in a while. =/

Retro

Colin Johanson said:
Hey guys,

Just a quick update on where the whole scavenger hunt system stands since I know that&#8217;s a topic many of you have brought up recently. We&#8217;re not currently actively working on building any sort of legendary precursor scavenger hunt, this is something we want to do in the future and we&#8217;re in the midst of designing how this would function, but no one is actively building this feature and you should not expect in the Jan/Feb/March releases at this point.

We are however working on expanding reward systems to make them more re-rewarding across all parts of the game, making the open world more rewarding, and adding new ways you can earn precursors as rewards via new reward systems taking advantage of our open persistent world.

Some of these additions will come as early as the January release, and will get covered in more detail in the next week or two as well release all the details about this release once testing has signed off it&#8217;s all ready to go in January. (we&#8217;ll also provide a high level summary of our goals with reward systems, etc. in our 2013 blog post, which should be out next week) (source)

TLDR:
Legendary scavenger hunt is not coming any time soon, not even MMO Developer "Soon" (which is somewhere just shy of Valve Time).
New ways to earn rewards coming as early as this month's update.
Blog Post about 2013 plans next week.

zulfate

I cant wait for an expansion already, the game as of right now feels very vanilla plus they will have a better understanding on many things like loot and engine optimization. I am not saying i dont like the game but ive always loved expansions for mmos as they always take you to interesting locations. What i am hoping is that they capture scale better,sometimes you can see it well in this game like the major cities we need scale like that but in all the areas for example most of the human areas dont capture scale well to me where areas like the norn are better and feel epic with huge mountains in the distance. Also i think they need to get pacing down a bit better and i dont mean leveling im talking about from zone to zone it needs to flow better but some might disagree with me on that :)

I got another question. Hopefully im not annoying anybody by these haha. This one is about gear drops. As of right now I've been salvaging just random gear drops that I get that I dont need (mainly common/green). Ive been using the fine salvaging one for trying to get the upgrades, but I was wondering if I should be doing that or should I just be selling those back to merchants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom